A Friend Has Booked Himself for a 2PM Arrival at Olando for a 4:30 Sail on Monarch

Have your friend buy a good camera so (s)he can get some good pictures of the Monarch of the Seas sailing away without him/her.

Couldn't agree more!

OP.....is your friend the type of guy that shows up at the last possible minute for flights? I mean airlines have a rule for checking in, does he wait till the last minute? Does he normally show up late or just a minute to spare for work, meetings, appointments? IF SO...this may be normal to him....but he will not make the cruise!!!

Hope he changes his tickets or its good bye cruise!

Due in no small part to the comments on this thread (which have been printed and shared...and that's why I started it :D), good sense has prevailed. I've talked him off the ledge, and the flight has been rescheduled. $150 bucks well spent if you ask me.

AMEN!!! Best $150 he'll ever spend!! ;)

Due in no small part to the comments on this thread (which have been printed and shared...and that's why I started it :D), good sense has prevailed. I've talked him off the ledge, and the flight has been rescheduled. $150 bucks well spent if you ask me.

Excellent! Enjoy your cruise!

Not only will he not be able to board, he will miss a few hours of the first day of his cruise...time he could spend exploring the ship and taking advantage of all it has to offer. IF he got there in time (and he wouldn't), he'd be stressed and exhausted...no way to begin a vacation.

Share details! is he still flying in the day of (remember there is still not guarantee that an earlier flight will go without flaws) or the day prior?

He will not do it. He needs to be checked in and ON BOARD by 3 pm. The jounry is a good 40 mins, and even if the flight lands on time he has to get his luggage and then get to the transport to take him to Port Canaveral. it is highly unlikey he will be able to do all of that in 90 mins, plus there is geting off the other end and getting to the check in desk.

$150 well spent

This is my 40th birthday party. I'm too old to worry about whether or not one of the group will miss the ship. :D

Someone asked earlier about details. He's still flying in day of, but scheduled to arrive at 10am. Not ideal, but better than 2pm. I tried to convince him on the 4th, but will take what I can get. A couple of other co-workers are cruising with us, and I had them dog on him a little bit about this as well. It all helped. :D

Next question: Have you told him that on formal night, formal dress is suggested? YIKES!

TTTTTTOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY KKKKIIIIDDDDDDDDDDIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

;);););)

Men aren't expected to wear dresses on formal night.

I think you are being too conservative with your times. If he only takes two minutes to get off the plane, he is only 7 minutes late. It should only take 7 1/2 minutes to get to the ground transportation. Now he is only 4 1/2 minutes late. A good cabbie should get him to the terminal in 40 minutes and 15 seconds. Another 4 minutes and 45 seconds to spare.

That time picked up would put him on the ship with 15 seconds to spare. That is unless Brett Favre is there to screw things up with 15 seconds to spare.:D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha halol-045.gif

This is my 40th birthday party. I'm too old to worry about whether or not one of the group will miss the ship. :D

Someone asked earlier about details. He's still flying in day of, but scheduled to arrive at 10am. Not ideal, but better than 2pm. I tried to convince him on the 4th, but will take what I can get. A couple of other co-workers are cruising with us, and I had them dog on him a little bit about this as well. It all helped. :D

Exactly what I was thinking. He is, presumably, an adult who can read and calculate time/phsyics/logistics. You went "above and beyond" to make sure he understood the problem. Had he not taken your advice, I'd have suggested you say to him, "Well, we'll see you when we return and tell you all about our fun cruise. Sorry you'll be missing it."

Have a great birthday and cruise.

beachchick

For anyone not local to the Orlando area, adding an hour or two to your arrival window may sound reasonable, but any local will tell you (I'm a local BTW) that there's only one road that connects MCO directly with the port, and if you drive it on a daily basis you know that at least once a month your 35 minnute commute can become a 4 hour parking lot because of accidents, weather, brush fires, etc.

And, God help you if there's a shuttle going up...

BTW, good news/bad news for anyone coming off the FOS on 2/7, the shuttle is scheduled to launch about the same time you pull into port so you will get a great show if you're on deck:), but may also experience a 4-5 hour trip back to MCO once you get your luggage off the ship:(

I read through this thread hoping to find the post where good sense prevailed. I am very happy to see that it did! Even arriving at 10am on the morning of the cruise would stress me out beyond belief. We always arrive the day before.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise with your friend safely aboard & have an awesome birthday celebration!

Towanda

If he doesn't change his flight, I think your friend just threw away a cruise fare. He is crazy to cut it that close. MCO (orlando) is about 45 minutes away from the port. Even if he is on time, waiting for bags and the drive....we'll enough said.

Unless the friend has a time machine he is screwed.

Tell your friend to pay to change the flight. Or watch the ship sail away with them.

BTW, good news/bad news for anyone coming off the FOS on 2/7, the shuttle is scheduled to launch about the same time you pull into port so you will get a great show if you're on deck:), but may also experience a 4-5 hour trip back to MCO once you get your luggage off the ship:(

Thanks for reminding me about the traffic. I have to work at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station for the launch from 10 PM prior to launch to sometime after the launch. I'm going to be in no mood for the huge mess every launch makes and this is going to be horible. THe last night launch unless something changes. Good News is I have an EXCELLENT view! I can just see the top of the launch pad from where I work.

• 3 months later...

Archived