Grand Turk ?

wezie

Is the stop in Grand Turk Princess' private island? What is the poolside cabana?

No, Princess doesn't have a private island but leases a portion of the southern tip of Eluthera in the Bahamas called Princess Cay. Grand Turk is part of a grouping of islands north of St. Thomas.

It's a great port stop (but as said, not Princess private island). it offers much more than a private island, as long as there wasn't more than one ship in port at a time it would be very nice. Last visit we had a huge Carnival ship that arrived earlier than we did, it was a zoo. But I would love to return again someday when there was only one ship in port, it would be delightful!

Grand Turk is part of the Turk and Caicos Islands and is under the UK with the UK governor living on Grand Turk. The islands are actually the southern end of the Bahama chain but they do not get along with the Bahamians. Grand Turk is about six miles long and little more than a mile wide. Their small airport landing strip goes from one side of the island to the other! I used to go their to SCUBA dive as the diving is great. Now that cruise ships call there, I do not want to go back. At one time the US military had a radar site there and it played an important part in the early days of NASA when astronauts were going on suborbital flights. Watch for the wild donkeys.

Grand Turk is part of the Turk and Caicos Islands and is under the UK with the UK governor living on Grand Turk. The islands are actually the southern end of the Bahama chain but they do not get along with the Bahamians. Grand Turk is about six miles long and little more than a mile wide. Their small airport landing strip goes from one side of the island to the other! I used to go their to SCUBA dive as the diving is great. Now that cruise ships call there, I do not want to go back. At one time the US military had a radar site there and it played an important part in the early days of NASA when astronauts were going on suborbital flights. Watch for the wild donkeys.

I think that they would be most hurt to say they are the southern end of the Bahama chain since that would be like describing the USA as the northern part of Mexico. :eek:

I agree though that they are south east of the Bahamas and north of the Dominican Republic. The beach is wonderful and it is a very laid back place to visit. After the US Military left the island has been in economic stress not helped by a recent hurricane.

You can also go the Governor's beach, more quiet; there used to be a bar, toilets,beach chairs, etc but after the hurricane, it was closed. It must be re open by now. Margaritaville, the main attraction there is a zoo, crowded, loud music, if you like to party you'll be happy! Some cute little shops around there. Personnaly this is my least favorite island.

We took a snorkeling excursion through Princess last November when the Emerald stopped in Grand Turk. It was fun and not too expensive. A lot of people treated it like a day at the private island--just enjoying the beach beside the dock. There were plenty of free chairs. I believe Carnival Corp. built the new facility, so there would only be ships from any of the cruise lines owned by them there.

After our excursion, we enjoyed watching the people surfing on the artificial wave. Whatever that thing is called.

I believe Carnival Corp. built the new facility, so there would only be ships from any of the cruise lines owned by them there.

They did build it but other lines can go there. I went there on Crystal. We were supposed to tender there on Crystal but at the last minute, Crystal paid to use Carnival Corp's piers. So there are some Carnival Corp politics involved here.

Probably similar to Princess Cays - other lines have gone here when Princess ships are not there (I don't remember if it was Regent or Crystal).

I believe Carnival Corp. built the new facility, so there would only be ships from any of the cruise lines owned by them there.

Although Carnival Corp built the facility in 2006 any ship can use it (for a price). Carnival have been pumping a lot of money into Grand Turk to build up their tourist industry. It was set back in 2008 by hurricane Ike which caused considerable devastation throughout the island but they seem to be recovering now.

I think that they would be most hurt to say they are the southern end of the Bahama chain since that would be like describing the USA as the northern part of Mexico. :eek:

Geologically they are the south eastern end of the chain of islands that run westwards to Key West. Most of the islands in the middle comprise the Bahamian Nation.

We stopped in Grand Turk about a year ago on the Crown. We were the only ship in port. We had lunch at Margaritaville and enjoyed the pool at the cruise center. It was a great day! I did hear recently the the huge Oasis of the Seas is stopping there now. That would totally change the experience!

Carrie

Try checking this site with your date of arrival: http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=126&date=14

I totally agree, more than one ship in Grand Turk at the same time is miserable. It was a shame that our first visit there had to be with two big ships in port at the same time. The place is just too small to handle that many passengers at the same time. Not enough beach space, not enough chairs, way over crowded. It made Princess Cays so much more inviting and Grand Turk just total chaos! :(

Archived