Why Only One Hawaiian Islands Cruise Ship?

grandmaa

I would like to pose a question for Princess Cruises. Why is there only 1 scheduled cruise ship to the Hawaiian Islands during the winter months when there is such a demand for cruises from the Southern/Western half of the country? If you look at the cruises most are waited listed for any category. So many ships in the Caribbean from Princess and other cruise lines why don't they think outside the box? If they had 2 cruises doing this itinerary they would also be helping the economy of the Hawaiian Islands..part of the USA and giving the US economy a boost.

At one point NCL had 3 ships in Hawaii and the prices just went rock bottom. They have since pulled 2 of the ships.

I really would like to try Hawaii but the Princess cruises out of LAX don't provide enough times in the islands for me. Plus, if you add more, you need to take a vacation longer than 2 weeks which many people can't do.

I would rather see Princess do some schedules where you either start or end in Hawaii so you only have to fly one way and can stay longer on the islands before or after the cruise.

Unfortunately, the cruises have to be rt lax for the most part. To go from the us hawaain islands to the us mainland one way would violate the passenger services act unless they were to stop at a " distant" foreign port ( mexico, canada and central america do not qualify as "distant" foreign ports). An itinerary to be lawful would have to stop at a distant foregn port in the south pacific or touch the continent of south america to be a "lawful" itinerary for a foreign flagged vessel, ncl had a us flagged vesssel doing the islands itinerary.

Unfortunately, the cruises have to be rt lax for the most part. To go from the us hawaain islands to the us mainland one way would violate the passenger services act unless they were to stop at a " distant" foreign port ( mexico, canada and central america do not qualify as "distant" foreign ports). An itinerary to be lawful would have to stop at a distant foregn port in the south pacific or touch the continent of south america to be a "lawful" itinerary for a foreign flagged vessel, ncl had a us flagged vesssel doing the islands itinerary.

They can got to Vancouver or Mexico which is what I was thinking and didn't say. I had booked on one next year but Princess cancelled it. There is one this year on the Royal Princess (using Vancouver) but it doesn't work with my schedule.

Celebrity seems to run these periodically (probably before and after Alaska) but I am not a fan of Celebrity.

I really would like to try Hawaii but the Princess cruises out of LAX don't provide enough times in the islands for me. Plus, if you add more, you need to take a vacation longer than 2 weeks which many people can't do.

I would rather see Princess do some schedules where you either start or end in Hawaii so you only have to fly one way and can stay longer on the islands before or after the cruise.

We went from LAX to Hawaii and back on the 15 day cruise and it was cold, windy, and very long days getting to Hawaii and returning back. We also went from Sydney to Hawaii then from Hawaii to LAX and from Hawaii to LAX was cold, windy and very long days again.

Personally, we would not do LAX to Hawaii as it is too many days at sea, weather can be bad and you don't spend much time in Hawaii. If you want to see Hawaii, fly there. Just MHO>

I wish Princess had an itinerary like NCL, fly to Hawaii, stop a at least 5 island destinations. My father-in-law did the NCL cruise and didn't like the ship. I'd love to be on a Princess ship doing that kind of Hawaiian cruise.

I wish Princess had an itinerary like NCL, fly to Hawaii, stop a at least 5 island destinations. My father-in-law did the NCL cruise and didn't like the ship. I'd love to be on a Princess ship doing that kind of Hawaiian cruise.

The problem is that it has to be a US built ship with US crew to only stop in Hawaii stops. Many people have complaints about the crew and ship.

We went from LAX to Hawaii and back on the 15 day cruise and it was cold, windy, and very long days getting to Hawaii and returning back. We also went from Sydney to Hawaii then from Hawaii to LAX and from Hawaii to LAX was cold, windy and very long days again.

Personally, we would not do LAX to Hawaii as it is too many days at sea, weather can be bad and you don't spend much time in Hawaii. If you want to see Hawaii, fly there. Just MHO>

Yea - I know. Unfortunately some circumstances I have would make a cruise easier (not the RT Hawaii version).

I agree, with it currently how it is, I won't do it due to the reasons you mentioned above. I am probably wiling to do with wind and cold one way but not for 3/4 of the trip.

Under the provisions of the Jones Act neither Princess nor any other of the main line cruise companies can sail the itinerary that NCL cruises.

The ship must be an American "bottom" and have an American crew or it must adhere to the stop at a distant foreign port itinerary as cited in earlier posts.

Repeal of the Jones Act by Congress does not appear to be in the cards.

We would love to cruise Hawaii with Princess, but not with the 10 days at sea and 4 days in port itinerary.

P&J

My last 4 cruises have been 2 NCL ships (Pride of America, the hawaii only ship, NCL Star) and 2 Princess (Sapphire and Golden). Of course its personal opinion, but I actually really liked both the NCL ship layouts better than princess. One thing that was was disappointing coming from NCL to Princess was the lack of choice as far as dining. The NCL ships had several dining options (that didnt require an extra fee). The princess ships had multiple dining rooms with different themes but the same menu (the non-fee ones anyway). It's true the rooms are smaller on NCL ships, however, with the Hawaii cruise there are no days at sea and most days you are in port for 10-12 hours. My family went on a Princess hawaii cruise and really didn't care for the 3-4 days at open sea in rocky water. As far as service goes, I couldn't tell a difference between the hawaii crewmembers and princess memebers, supposedly NCL has upped its training programs and actually retains employees now. The down side, you will pay more for the 7 night hawaii cruise than a comparable 7 night carribean or mexico cruise. I guess it boils down to this, if you want to see the hawaiian islands via cruise, give NCL a try. You can also save money there knowing that on some nights the ship stays in port, so you can do shore excursions through local companies rather than the cruise line ones, and save $$$.

I cruised on NCLA's Pride of Aloha right before it was changed back to NCL Sky again. It was a wonderful cruise - 10 days interisland with overnights in Kauai and Honolulu, trips to both Kahului side and Lahaina side of Maui, Hilo and Kona sides of the Big Island, a day cruising the Napali coast. Many complaints I heard about the crew were (IMO) unfounded although there was a difference from what I've experienced with an international crew. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but my Hawaii cruise was one of the most enjoyable ones I've had and I'd highly recommend NCLA to anyone who would love to spend significant time on each island.

It certainly IS possible to do the Hawaiian cruise round trip out of Hawaii with a foreign flagged vessel in less than 2 weeks. NCL used to do it with the Wind, by sailing to Kiribati, which is a foreign port. Both Fanning Island and Christmas Island can be reached in 2 sea days, making for a 12 day cruise, counting a day on one of those incredibly beautiful atolls and a week cruising Hawaii. We sailed to Fanning Island, and would redo that cruise in a blink if it were offered by anyone.

Bill

It is what it is. The Golden Princess is the only Princess ship doing Hawaii. Must be cost efficient the ship sails full, the price doesn't come down.

So a lot of people must like this itinerary, they are in essence standing in line.

Next year the Sapphire will do a couple of r/t's to Hawaii at the start of the season with the Golden as well as a little one the past few years anyway doing a one way Vancouver to Hawaii.

Oh yes we are doing the r/t April 11 and it is sold out.:D NCL no thanks.

I cruised on NCLA's Pride of Aloha right before it was changed back to NCL Sky again. It was a wonderful cruise - 10 days interisland with overnights in Kauai and Honolulu, trips to both Kahului side and Lahaina side of Maui, Hilo and Kona sides of the Big Island, a day cruising the Napali coast. Many complaints I heard about the crew were (IMO) unfounded although there was a difference from what I've experienced with an international crew. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but my Hawaii cruise was one of the most enjoyable ones I've had and I'd highly recommend NCLA to anyone who would love to spend significant time on each island.

I agree. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Pride of America. Contrary to what I had heard, the crew was extremely friendly and efficient. As previously stated, the rooms were smaller, but most of our time was spent in ports, on our balcony, or sleeping. We rented cars at every port and were able to see and do so much on our own. Loved it!

It certainly IS possible to do the Hawaiian cruise round trip out of Hawaii with a foreign flagged vessel in less than 2 weeks. NCL used to do it with the Wind, by sailing to Kiribati, which is a foreign port. Both Fanning Island and Christmas Island can be reached in 2 sea days, making for a 12 day cruise, counting a day on one of those incredibly beautiful atolls and a week cruising Hawaii. We sailed to Fanning Island, and would redo that cruise in a blink if it were offered by anyone.

Bill

But not feasable, thats why NCL rallied for the change.

But not feasable, thats why NCL rallied for the change.

And doesn't NCL have some contract with Fanning Island in which other cruise lines would have to pay NCL for rights to dock there??? Maybe that has expired.

It may have expired, since NCL is no longer sailing there. But why not feasible? Evidently it was not a moneymaker for NCL -- does not mean it is out of the question for other cruise lines.

The Dawn Princess sails from Christmas Island to Honolulu with just two sea days, so that is a possibility independent of any NCL contract.

Bill

Personally, I can't wait to book a Princess cruise to Hawaii... for a sea day lover like myself, all those sea days are just icing on the cake. I've been to Hawaii before (once spent two glorious weeks on Maui) and have seen most of the sights. I'd just book excursions to the ones I haven't been to... :)

Personally, I can't wait to book a Princess cruise to Hawaii... for a sea day lover like myself, all those sea days are just icing on the cake. I've been to Hawaii before (once spent two glorious weeks on Maui) and have seen most of the sights. I'd just book excursions to the ones I haven't been to... :)

Being in Hawaii and cruising there are 2 different things. I like sea days, but not 4 in a row with cold, wet, windy weather. We could not even use our balcony. They did not fill up the indoor pool, etc. You might luck out and have good weather. Just expressing our 2 experiences with Hawaii cruising.

I did the LAX round trip to Hawaii in 2005, when the Island Princess did that itinerary. It was wonderful to be able to relax a few days at sea, then have all the action around the islands, then relax again on the way home.:) But I can see, that people, that don't like sea days as much as I do, would not be happy with that. Of course, the port days weren't enough to really get to know Hawaii, but that's the nature of cruising and applies to all cruise ports, not just Hawaii.;)

I would like to pose a question for Princess Cruises. Why is there only 1 scheduled cruise ship to the Hawaiian Islands during the winter months when there is such a demand for cruises from the Southern/Western half of the country? If you look at the cruises most are waited listed for any category. So many ships in the Caribbean from Princess and other cruise lines why don't they think outside the box? If they had 2 cruises doing this itinerary they would also be helping the economy of the Hawaiian Islands..part of the USA and giving the US economy a boost.

If you are talking about ships that do just the islands, they have to be American flagged, it is very costly and the cruise line must hire 80% or about that America crew members plus give them better benefits. As mentioned NCL tried 3 ships and it just didn't work, now they are down to one. It is very successful, but I doubt any other line will go into Hawaii. The old line that used to only Hawaiian Islands for years went belly up. As for sailing from here to Hawaii, again, they have to include one foreign port in order not to be flagged American and this means longer cruises with more days at sea. It just doesn't seem to be as popular.

Nita

again, the cost is high and it isn't as easy as it sounds. I don't know when your dad did the islands but since NCL has gone down to only 1 ship the reviews are quite different. There still are service problems as some of the American crew isn't as dedicated as foreign crrews are.

Nita

Being in Hawaii and cruising there are 2 different things. I like sea days, but not 4 in a row with cold, wet, windy weather. We could not even use our balcony. They did not fill up the indoor pool, etc. You might luck out and have good weather. Just expressing our 2 experiences with Hawaii cruising.

Well, my partner took a New Year's cruise on the Island Princess a couple of years back and except for the day or so out from LA, the weather was apparently gorgeous. Luck of the draw I guess...

Archived