Snow coming - what happens if we miss our flights?

whiterose

The BIG plow just came through -- there is now 5 feet high of snow at the end of the driveway.

Lucky you. We never see a plow and rarely a salt truck. If you're on my street, you're on my street. Your vehicle is going nowhere. Period. ;)

Putting things in perspective....I have electricity, my sil does not.

Lucky you. We never see a plow and rarely a salt truck. If you're on my street, you're on my street. Your vehicle is going nowhere. Period. ;)

Putting things in perspective....I have electricity, my sil does not.

Sounds like you have a great attitude about your situation...

or is it just the popcorn & martinis talking?;):D

As of 10:30am Saturday all fights were canceled from both airports until further notice. DCA had already cancelled all Saturday flights yesterday. The snow hasn't stopped here yet.

I would have drove to the port. We have a cruise at the end of the month by we fly into Tampa 2 days early.

I hope the OP get back with us also, I'm sure they have figured out something by now. I did hear where the trains were running and that certain could have been another way to go down to Florida. Flying tomorrow out of Dulles, looks like its will not happen. Good luck to the OP, hope they make their cruise.

I'm in Northern Virginia and it is incredible! I have shoveled twice already and all it's accomplished is less snow to shovel when I have to go back out again! We've got a solid two feet and I don't know when we'll be able to get down the street again. Oh well... Attached is a picture of my deck. The snow is halfway up the tiki bar. I guess we'll have to drink inside...

100_0567.jpg.754801b1995b0ff42dae86d32a29431d.jpg

I'm in Northern Virginia and it is incredible! I have shoveled twice already and all it's accomplished is less snow to shovel when I have to go back out again! We've got a solid two feet and I don't know when we'll be able to get down the street again. Oh well... Attached is a picture of my deck. The snow is halfway up the tiki bar. I guess we'll have to drink inside...

Wow! That's crazy. We got 8 inches yesterday and I think we're supposed to get another 8 tomorrow. We live in Kansas and we have had more snow this year than I can remember from years past.

I think a lot of us are having to have our drinks inside ... and probably will until the spring thaw! Who knows when that will be this year...

Oh, man, I feel for you! I used to live in Dale City, and moved to Fla. a week before the blizzard that shut down the Fed gov't. in the 90's...still have family in Falls Church and Arlington.

I told DH I'd live under a bridge in Fla. before battling the snow and cold up there again. I truly feel for you all.

Unfortunately for the OP driving to Buenos Airies wasn't an option.

But driving to Florida was; that was where OP was to connect to the overseas flight. Even though there was no place to stay in Miami, OP didn't need to get all that way. The flight to BA must leave at night. OP could have driven the rest of the way that same day, and still easily made the connecting flight.

But driving to Florida was; that was where OP was to connect to the overseas flight. Even though there was no place to stay in Miami, OP didn't need to get all that way. The flight to BA must leave at night. OP could have driven the rest of the way that same day, and still easily made the connecting flight.

If they were younger this makes sense. OP did make a post indicating that they were elderly and a long drive was not feasible for them. I wondered about a train. Are they running?

Heard that Amtrak stopped running in those mid-Atlantic areas as of yesterday. The Weather Channel has some good (actually bad) pictures and updates. The people who live there have my sympathy! I remember back in the mid-90's when the whole DC area was shut down over Christmas, and my friend's daughter spent three days in Seattle trying to get home. On Dec. 24, 1982, Denver had the "Blizzard of the Century", accumulating 5-7 feet of snow in just over a day. Talk about a White Christmas!! The wind blew 12-foot drifts...the swingset in our back yard was completely covered, and the neighbor's car parked in front of his house was finally unearthed in early March. I've never seen anything like it. Even our garaged 4WD Suburban had trouble getting around a week later. We were among the lucky ones who didn't lose power. They had to use snowmobiles to transport people to hospitals, and more than a few babies were born naturally at home. Denver didn't use salt, but gravel. Plenty of snowplows for the main thoroughfares, but it took weeks to clear side streets. I still have a "I Survived The Blizzard of '82" T-shirt around here somewhere. Again, for those of you in the mid-Atlantic area, you have my sympathy!

If they were younger this makes sense. OP did make a post indicating that they were elderly and a long drive was not feasible for them. I wondered about a train. Are they running?

Right. I'd forgotten that OP said they couldn't drive. But I don't know---maybe if they started out several days in advance, and an overnight or two??? Then the rest of the way on Sunday? Might have been worth trying.

The trains were running when this problem first came up; don't know if they still are. Then the problem was getting a place to stay---everything's booked, what with the Superbowl in Miami. That's why someone suggested staying far from Miami, then going the rest of the way on Sunday. It was a good idea.

I hope the OP makes/made it to Miami. This is too good a cruise to miss of there was some way to get out of town.

Right. I'd forgotten that OP said they couldn't drive. But I don't know---maybe if they started out several days in advance, and an overnight or two??? Then the rest of the way on Sunday? Might have been worth trying.
Their last post was 9:09a Thu, so I suspect they figured out how to get out of Dodge ahead of the storm somehow!

Hope this is not a double post - I'm having trouble logging on to CC.

Wow thanks for all the kind thoughts. We're stuck at home with 30" of snow and today's flight from Dulles is cancelled. We probably could not get to the airport anyway. Loudoun county government is practically begging people to stay home and not clutter up the roads so the emergency people can reach downed power lines and the crews can plow the roads.

We've been on the phone a lot with our TA and HAL and as of now - tomorrow we fly to Miami to get on a plane to Montevideo to join the ship there. If tomorrow's flight is also cancelled then we go to Plan B which is fly to Cape Town next week for a much shorter cruise. Just saw on the news that Baltimore airport has cancelled many flights for tomorrow.

We could not get out of town before the storm so decided the best place to ride it out was at home where at least we were warm, with plenty of food and access to phones and computer. Yesterday we lost power for 5 hours but thankfully it came back on at 9 pm - the temp got down to single digits last night. Some poor people are still without power and I'm sure the power crews were working non stop in miserable conditions - I may include a thank you card next time I pay my electric bill.

We taken many cruises and usually fly in a day or two before but this time we took a chance in order to save money and also because we've been to Buenos Aires several times already. I've learned my lesson - the past week has really stressed me out. I truly need a cruise now - smile

All,

Hello from white D.C! Amtrak has indeed cancelled a good many trains, and all three airports (Dulles, Reagan and BWI) remain closed, although the airport spokesman said there are working to get one runway up at Dulles for operation later this morning.

The official total snow at Reagan was 17.8 inches. Dulles got 32 inches. The sun is shining clear and bright right now, but it is a white wasteland out there with only the major arteries passable -- I-66 has one lane open in each direction, for example. The various DOTs are working everything they have to clear roads.

And, yes, there is another inch or two of accumulation forecast for Tuesday night; although that system is supposed to pass north of us (sorry NYC, it's coming at you), it may veer and drop more.

We were initially booked on Amtrak Thursday to go for our Noordam Feb. 13 cruise, but we cancelled when we saw the storm coming and decided to drive. I will watch the road situation and that next system, but I'm thinking we're out of here Tuesday, driving into summer. A couple of extra days in Florida is easier to take than fretting about missing the cruise.

Dave

Whiterose

Glad you are safe at home and have gotten power back.

I hope everything works out for you and you get to fly out tomorrow.

Here is southwestern PA we got over 2 1/2 feet of snow and the state will remain in a state of emergency for another week.

We got up to Zero degrees this morning.

And more snow is on the way on Tuesday.

Thousands are still without power.

Ww are not completely dug out yet -- will be working on that again today.

Archived