Celebrities on Celebrity

Cruise Arizona

Last year on the Mercury there was a passenger who sang in the piano bar a couple of times and performed in the talent show who looked some what familiar to me. In the course of our conversation he said that he had been on National tours of 42nd Street and a few other shows and that his Stage name we Gary Marshal, the actor not the director.

A few week after that I saw him on a VH1 special about celebrity plastic surgery where they called him a "veteran character actor" who "Appeared in last year's Intollerable Cruelty." He played a waiter at a Vegas Hotel.

It got me thinkining, has anybody ever met a Celebrity on Celebrity? or Any other Cruise?

Some years ago we met Donny Osmond, but I can't recall which ship we were on. One of our tablemates was a real fan of his, and he was nice enough to let us take a picture of him and the young fan and her newlywed husband. We still have the photo.

We sailed with Regis and his wife. It was a New Year's Eve cruise. We were outside on the first night for the sailaway party - someone said - there's Regis dancing in the middle of the crowd. Yeah sure. Turns out - yes it was. He mingled with the crowd the entire cruise - I played trivial pursuit with him. He gave a speech towards the end of the cruise - very well attended. And on his first show after the cruise he showed photos from his cruise - and told the story about how he forgot his wallet (there was a blizzard in the northeast the day before the cruise) and how other people had to pay for whatever he needed.

I would love to have met Regis Philbin. He seems like a pretty regular and fun guy. I remember him talking about his cruise on TV.

Also, I actually met Donny Osmond too a few years back. We were in Vancouver getting ready to go on our honey moon cruise. We stayed the night at a nice hotel in Vancouver and as a wedding gift one of my Mom's friends had gotten us a free upgrade to the concierge level floor in the hotel. The floor had its own breakfast lounge and terrace. I met Donny at the cereal bar. He was so nice, and if you think he is cute on TV, he is even cuter in person. We talked about figure skating because they had the ice rink on thier TV show. I told him t hat as a kid my dream was to one day be guest on Donny and Marie. We had a laugh about that one.

On a RCCL cruise last summer, my brother-in-law, sister, nephew and I chatted with Bowser from Sha-Na-Na. He was on the ship for a 10 days (his group embarked at Juneau not Vancouver). He was pleasant enough, but I think he gets tired of the same questions over and over. He posed (as Bowser) in a photo with my nephew. I didn't make it to his show, but I heard it was good.

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't actually a celebrity sighting, but something kind of related happened to me. Mom & I were having lunch in the main dining room and were making small talk with the people were seated with. The small talk included a discussion about why I was with mom and why Hubby-san wasn't there, and also what everyone did for a living. At some point one man looks at me and says, "forgive me for asking, but is your husband _______ ______." I was very suprised, as he's NOT a celebrity by any means, he's just a businessman in high tech. Just goes to show you what a small world it is!

If mom & I see Regis when we take Horizon in April, I'll tell him "hi" from everyone :)

Mom & I met the former King of Jordan's younger brother (i.e., an uncle of the current king) on the QE 2 in 1983. That wasn't Celebrity though, so I guess it doesn't count for this thread?

Actually, if you see "Regis" or any other celebrity on a cruise and they "happen" to give a little talk at the end of the cruise" it means that they are paid and given a free cruise to give their little talk in the theater. Several years ago on one of our cruises Louise Mandrell was on board and we were told that she was on "vacation, and that perhaps she will be nice and perform one night". Well we were talking to one of her dancers and he told us she does 3 or 4 cruises a year and performs on them. Back then, there was a company with a name like Nashville or Oprey Entertainment or something similiar that provided the entertainment for Celebrity. I think if you were to truly spot a famous person on board that did not perform or talk in one of the venues that they would really be on vacation. On our Princess Cruise Maria Bartelova (I know I mispelled the name), from the financial channel was on our cruise on vacation with her husband, and she just did her thing like the rest of us. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Barbara

We were on the Grandeur of the Seas repo cruise from San Diego to New Orleans a couple of years ago. Marty Allen and his wife Karon were part of the entertainment lineup. He is still a wonderful comedian and she a wonderful singer.

Sandy

I've told this before, but a couple of years ago we were on RCL and "some musician from New York" as described by our friend, was sitting at her table all week at first seating. It wasn't till near the end of the cruise that we met him and immediately recognized "Dion" , She should have known, I mean how many Dions are there?

Dion site

Also a few years ago we got on the old Love Boat in Acapulco on its 7 dayer to LA, and Don Adams (Mr. Get Smart) was aboard. Turned out we hung out, probably because we were one of the few "younger" ones on board and his current girlfriend was our age. This was past Get Smart days but he said he still got healthy residuals for reruns. (Oops, maybe he told me that in the cone of silence, please disregard) The people talking into their shoes abounded on the cruise, as did the people losing blackjack and saying ..."missed it by thaaaat much!"

WHAT? We MISSED Patrick Swayze? (We got off Mercury 4/11/04) Oh ... wait ... I've never been a fan of his ... oh well ... Anyway, no celebrities for us on Celebrity yet *but* when my family sailed HAL's Statendam (IV, just broken up at Alang) for a month in the Caribbean/Mexico in spring 1970, Lloyd Bridges was on board. Apropos to his fame for "Sea Hunt," my memories of him mostly center on the swimming pool ...

TR

Mercury AK 8/26/05

Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

plus

Princess Carla MX 1971

Statendam (IV) WC/EC/SC/MX 1970

Mariposa South Pacific/Hawaii/Australia 1967

Last June Richard Kline was on the Zerith to Bermuda. He gave a speech. He was Larry on the old Three's Company show and also made guest appearances on ER and others. He was all over the ship. Playing ball in the pool. Very friendly.

Who saw Picard? He is definitely a Celebrity;)

You know how you sometimes think someone is no longer with us....I thought Marty Allen had passed away:eek: .......I must be confused.....

I guess not appropriate for a cruise board, howver a few years ago we were in hawaii at the Grsaand Wialea Hotel. We were swimming with a really nice guy. He turned to me and asked if I knew who he was. I replied do I know you? He was Sting. Without makeup, he looked like a regular guy! LOL...I think he was a bit disappointed!

Archived