Passports or not!

sharonlacey

We are taking a 9 day cruise out of Bayone going to Bermuda, St. Maartain and St. Thomas. Do the kids need passports or could they just use ID card and birth certif. Also, my daughter and her husband do not have passports would they also need them?

Thanks Sharon

Technically, no. No one needs passports. If you are a US citizen & leave/return to the same US port (ie, go on a closed-loop cruise), you do not need a passport. But you do need the photo id & certified birth certs (not copies) like you mentioned.

The cost for passports can get pretty high if buying for an entire family. Weigh the chances of having to fly back into the states for an emergency. If you don't plan on leaving the country at least once a year, you will need to decide if it's an expense you can handle now.

I know many people that cruise once every 3 or 4 years that don't have passports for all their family members. I know others that did purchase them.

Answer...no you don't HAVE to have them to cruise.

I agree with the points about returning home in an emergency. Also if they have any dreams of traveling by internationally by air, crossing border by land, or cruising further, they should get passports. When opportunities to travel do arise, they will be more able to go.

IMO, no one should travel outside of the country without a passport. If you can afford a cruise, you can certainly afford a passport. In terms of emergencies, it is not only if there is an emergency at home. . . . if you or your children are injured, for instance, without a passport, your return home will be delayed. Most people travel on ships with 2,000+ passengers. . . we cruise on a ship with only 700 and there is at least one emergency where someone is airlifted from the ship on just about every cruise. Without a passport, you will not be airlifted to the U.S.

But, as the above person correctly posted. . . . no, you do not have to have a passport.

I agree with Travelcat. While you can go without, traveling without a passport is not the best idea. Not trying to be morbid or cause a jinx, but hundreds of people travelling on or shortly after 9/11 found themselves making unscheduled stops and stayovers. A passport is the best and easiest way to travel. Also, makes it easier for you when traveling and raises fewer flags with customs. Eventually, it is likely they will be required for travel even by sea/car in the western hemisphere.

In this day and age, I cannot imagine anyone would travel out of their home country without a valid passport.

There are way too many things that can happen.

Best advise anyone can give: Get a passport.

And that isn't just my opinion.

Everyone should get a passport!!

If something would happen to someone in your party and they had to leave the ship -- their only way home will be by plane -- which requires a passport.

Same thing if something happens to someone at home and one of you needs to get home quickly -- fying - passport.

The passports are good for 10 years.

Get them.

HAVE to have - no. But as a US citizen I never set foot on foreign soil without my passport on my person.

We are taking a 9 day cruise out of Bayone going to Bermuda, St. Maartain and St. Thomas. Do the kids need passports or could they just use ID card and birth certif. Also, my daughter and her husband do not have passports would they also need them?

Thanks Sharon

This is a no brainer but the problem is that the news that a passport is necessary seems to come as a complete shock and we than get a mega-thread of people trying every conceiveable excuse/reason not to get one.

I am still waiting to hear a plausible explanation why there's so much deep resistance to owning a passport in the first place and the cost excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid.

This is a no brainer but the problem is that the news that a passport is necessary seems to come as a complete shock and we than get a mega-thread of people trying every conceiveable excuse/reason not to get one.

I am still waiting to hear a plausible explanation why there's so much deep resistance to owning a passport in the first place and the cost excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid.

I would always advise anyone who asks to get a passport, but to say that it is "necessary" simply isn't true. US law still permits citizens taking closed loop cruises to travel without a passport...therefore a passport is not "necessary" for that form of travel.

It would be helpful to understand a little history. Until very recently US citizens haven't needed passports to travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, so people are naturally resistant to the new requirement. They've traveled forever in this region without needing one and can't understand why they need one now. It's not as if the governments of Canada, Mexico and nations in the Caribbean imposed this requirement on US citizens...the US government imposed it on its own citizens in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks...and some question the logic of that decision. It's not as if the terrorists gained entry to the US by posing as US citizens by having forged US birth certificates.

Also keep in mind that passports for children under 16 are only good for 5 years vs. 10 years. They also aren't that much cheaper; a $15 difference. I don't think it is totally reasonable considering the time they are valid vs. an adult passport, but I don't get to make the rules. ;) That being said, I reluctantly paid for my three kids' passports. :)

If cost is prohibitive, perhaps get passports for the adults and use birth certificates for the kids?

I sure can understand why some people are reluctant to pay for passports for a whole family. Especially if they don't travel often.

If you opt not to get a passport then at least make sure you have the name and number of your senator in case of emergency because they can help during these times if it's an absolute necessity. Hopefully this never happens to you.

We made our daughter budget ahead of time for their passports because I didn't want this worry.

Children passports are for shorter duration for obvious reasons--kids change physically more in 5 yrs than the average adult does in 10, making the photos worthless. Think about a 10yrs old traveling on a passport issued when that child was 2.

You never know what could happen - at home, a child or a baby left in the care of others while parents enjoy a cruise vacation could suddenly fall ill... accident.... elderly parents could succumb.... I mean, there are so many reasons why having a passport is a no-brainer, IMO. As stated, the investment is small when you look at the big picture. And more of the world is open to you when you have a passport.

The cost reason for not getting a passport is lame in my opinion,, as pointed out,, its what,, 10 dollars a year really,( less for kids) .

Do you gamble, do you drink, do you buy tacky souvenirs,, do you pay 50 bucks to get on a shore ex to tour shops and the island lookout,, etc etc.. People prioritize whats important when it comes to spending.

Being able to fly out of a country at the drop of a credit card is priceless.. if you need to..

BTW,, Adult "kids" should be paying for their own passports.

• 3 weeks later...

In a few ports, you are required to carry passports, but most do not require it. You will be notified by the ship if you are in a port requiring it.

For other ports it is up to you. Some feel it is safer to leave it in the safe and just carry a copy of it. Others prefer to have it in case of an emergency.

I agree with Travelcat. While you can go without, traveling without a passport is not the best idea. Not trying to be morbid or cause a jinx, but hundreds of people travelling on or shortly after 9/11 found themselves making unscheduled stops and stayovers. A passport is the best and easiest way to travel. Also, makes it easier for you when traveling and raises fewer flags with customs. Eventually, it is likely they will be required for travel even by sea/car in the western hemisphere.

It is now to Mexico or Canada.

Archived