Scrapbooks, Memory Boxes and the Like.......

sail7seas

I'm curious.....

How many of us keep scrapbooks or memory boxes of our cruises? Do you save momentos or memory 'joggers' from each of your cruise?

I save wine corks. Only corks from dinners on HAL ships and evenings I want a momento of. If we dine with a friend or have a particularly memorable evening, I write date and friends' name or identification in a way I will recognize on the cork. When we get home, the corks go into a very large crystal bowl which has a special HAL meaning for us.

After our first cruise--an Alaskan cruise-tour--I put everything into a photo album with plastic sleeve pages . I had saved the daily ship news, luggage tags, etc.--anything and everything made of paper that related to our trip. I am not a scrapbooker, but tried to make the record of our second cruise a little more attractive, so I made a a title page of scrapbooking materials--palm tree, ship, etc. Used more post cards and personal photos in that one--Panama Canal. Your idea of saving wine corks seems very original to me, and obviously very memorable to you I am not a creative person, but always marvel at the wonderful stuff that others come up with. Have fun!

I have a wicker basket full of menus, daily news, etc. from our last 3 cruises that I am going to sort and try and make some scrapbooks. My DIL is a master scrapbooker so I'm going to ask for her help. She made the most beautiful book for our 50th anniv. a few years back and a few more of our memories since. I am so jealous of that talent.:)

I'm curious.....

How many of us keep scrapbooks or memory boxes of our cruises? Do you save momentos or memory 'joggers' from each of your cruise?

I save wine corks. Only corks from dinners on HAL ships and evenings I want a momento of. If we dine with a friend or have a particularly memorable evening, I write date and friends' name or identification in a way I will recognize on the cork. When we get home, the corks go into a very large crystal bowl which has a special HAL meaning for us.

Quite an interesting thread. I personally have been saving photographs all my life. First cruise pictures were from 1952 on the S.S. Veendam from Rotterdam to Halifax. We must have been on steerage class but it worked. Lovely food. Afterwards, by train to Toronto.

As for albums, I have well over 40. Some longer cruises have their own albums such as the two from trips to Australia/New Zealand and the Great Britain one. Most 1 week cruises are in parts of an album but not all - some have their own.

At this rate, I will have to designate a whole room to albums and memorabelia. Yes, things like decks of cards, trivia prizes, you name it. I have been trying to declutter without much success. A regular pack rat.

We also have albums of our 4 children from about day 1, our 5 grandchildren and now our youngest son is getting married in October and the "parents" album which will make 4 of those and the oldest grranddaughter is engaged and planning her wedding next year so more photo ops.

My father was quite a photographer despite the 2nd WW in Holland and there are many (black and white of course) pictures of that era as well as later ones. I got them all. I have made prints of some important ones for my sisters and brother.

We even went on a stamping cruise in 2008 where there were 150 stampers and scrapbookers. Yes, those 2 hobbies are related and I make my own greeting cards too with rubber stamps.

Some ships even have scrapbooking classes for anyone who wish to show up and I was very impressed with the Emerald Princess and went to a class and they had 4 lovely die cut machines and only I knew how to use them and showed the rest of the group. They were so thrilled and as there was lots of cardstock, they kept cranking them out.

I suppose we will have a large album full of photos from our 35 day Voyage of the Vikings trip this summer. I also purchase postcards from the places we visit and those are among the snapshots. Lets me know the spelling of places and the name of places, buildings, etc.

Johanna

I collect ocean liner memorabilia so naturally I save much, if not everything, that I can get my hands on from my cruises. I store my stuff in boxes or storage containers labeled by date and ship name. Have two storage containers full of items collected/saved from my 2008 Grand World Voyage. I get much enjoyment out of periodically opening a box or container and re-living that cruise experience.

A goal for 2010 is to clean out my file cabinet and get some of the older material in there to make room on shelves for newer items.

I started to keep a scrapbook. As we started to cruise more and more often I found myself having trouble keeping up. Now I just keep an online photo journel and make a scrapbook for the exceptional cruises. I have one for the Amazon and one for French Polynesia etc.

Sails, I like your idea of the corks.

I have been a scrapbooker for several years now. I always take a lot of pictures of my trips and have saved and incorporated menus, key cards, receipts, formal photos etc etc into my pages for a long time now. A couple of years ago I moved over to purely digital scrapbooking which makes it harder to use "hard copy" items like I mentioned above, so now I tend to rely more on photos, both my own, and the digitally framed ones from the photo gallery to present an overview of our trip.

I do keep all our keycards, plus our frequent cruiser pins/tiles/cards etc.

I enjoy scrapbooking the pictures a lot and find it is a much more interesting way to display pictures than a regular old photo album, which I used to do and have a houseful of!

I enjoy photography. For each cruise, I make a photo CD, a photo music DVD and photo books (Snapfish, Kodak, Shutterfly.)

I have the most beautiful photo video, complete with port appropriate music, from my Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam. :) I made copies for the other family members that cruised with me. According to my mother, my elderly Dad (unable to travel anymore) watches the DVD at least 2-3 times a month. ;) Just hearing that made all the effort worthwhile. :) I also made a beautiful photo book from the cruise. The cover is a full page photo of the Forum in Rome.

There are in fact items that I retain from each and every cruise....

!) the tri-fold Cruise Log distributed on the last afternoon

2) my ship I. D. card

3) a snapshot kept on my digital camera of any Stephen Card paintings found

4) one photo from the ship's photographers, preferably one from the Mariner Reception featuring the captain and/or the HotMan

5) a couple or three extra lbs. as a result of the great rolls and all of that BUTTER! (I try not to keep those however.) :D

I have been scrapbooking my travels for the last several years. While I've come to realize I'll never be "caught up" I enjoy making beautiful pages of my memories.

I am going on my first cruise in May to Alaska and hope to get some great pictures for a future scrapbook. I have read on cruise critic that a lot of the Alaskan ports have stores that sell unique scrapbook paper. I plan on keeping my eyes out for interesting things to add to my future scrapbook!

How many of us keep scrapbooks...

Hi Sail,

We do a separate scrapbook for each of our vacations. We try to keep various things to include in the book (besides just pictures):

- cruise tickets

- shore excursion tickets

- daily programs

- invitations

- cards from TA gifts, flowers, etc...

In our Baltic book you'll find a Rubble note on one of the St.Petersburg pages...

Anything that will help us remember the unique experience!

There are in fact items that I retain from each and every cruise....

!) the tri-fold Cruise Log distributed on the last afternoon

2) my ship I. D. card

3) a snapshot kept on my digital camera of any Stephen Card paintings found

4) one photo from the ship's photographers, preferably one from the Mariner Reception featuring the captain and/or the HotMan

5) a couple or three extra lbs. as a result of the great rolls and all of that BUTTER! (I try not to keep those however.) :D

So glad you mentioned the the ship cards (I save all of mine) and the tri-fold Cruise Log. I did not receive one on my Oosterdam cruise, but did on the Mediterranean cruise. I thought perhaps it was something special for the longer "Roman Holiday" cruise. Glad to know I may receive one on hte Eurodam. :)

#5 is something I always keep! :D

My sister-in-law made a scrapbook out of our trip as well. Unfortunately, she had not kept every trinket like I had, so I loaned her the trinkets she didn't have. ;)

We also keep our ID cards - they usually end up on one of the first pages.

The small deck plan too...

I try to include airport shots as well as a shot in the embarkation "barn".

On our Baltic last summer, we purchased "enough" photos to have them throw in one of the leatherette hard-bound do-it-yourself picture books. This turned out nice (not as nice as the ones we do ourselves) and it would have been better had I taken the time to edit all of the text (rather than just captions). It would be the sort of thing you would get if: a) you were planning on sending it to somebody or b) didn't plan to do your own scrapbook. I don't know what it cost as a separate purchase.

I keep little things as mementos of each cruise.

Of course the ID cards and the cruise logs.

Business cards we might acquire from the Piano Bar player. Decorative items and origami our servers have given us in the Ocean Bar and Piano Bar.

The little cards left on our bed at night, wishing us sweet dreams.

Tokens from the various ports - maps, cards from restaurants and shops visited.

I keep these mementos in a box.

I have also made photo books of some cruises through an online Web site.

And my daughter made me a lovely scrapbook from our cruise in November on the Westerdam.

Some creative folks here. Fun to read what each saves.

We have all of our cruise ID cards going back to before HAL used the plastic scan style we get today. When we first started sailing HAL, the ID cards were flimsy slips of paper not even poster board weight. :) Many of those cards blew away on windy gangways. Didn't matter. Security was a whisper of what it is today........ didn't have to be more.

I have a scrap album for all 103 cruises!!

One album for each cruise, or one album for all 103 cruises?

When we took our first cruise I decided that I would do a scrapbook because I thought it better to bore my friends with a few pages of carefully edited photos, rather than pages and pages of photos of the same palm tree from different angles. The first five cruises are in one album, but the next two (Which were close to perfect) each got their own album. Eight & nine are sharing space in album #4, while our most recent cruise is waiting for another HAL cruise to complete it.

I'm not sure which is more addictive for me; cruising or scrapbooking. They seem to go hand in hand.

I scrapbook each vacation and each year of our family. However, I am so far behind I believe I will finish my girls' baby books when they are about to be mothers themselves... I save any sort of paper momento I can - wristbands, key cards, a couple of receipts, brochures, a cocktail napkin or two, etc. I also hand journal everything. One of my favorite things is reading handwritten notes from my now deceased grandparents. I want my own kids and grandkids to have the same things. I am currently working on a book of my jewelry. It's a photo of each piece and then a journaling block about who gave it to me or how it came to be mine, when, and why it's so special to me. Just a little project for all of my free time - HA!

I make photobooks using Smilebooks for our vacations. I set them up ahead of time using the itinerary planned so I have an idea of what I want to take photos of - a good way to get in the mood.

I also keep a binder with the plastic inserts for brochures, etc. that I pick up along the way.

I have a picture with the Captain from some cruise, I forget which one. Otherwise, I have nothing. I never save a thing from cruises. Oh, I just got a tile. I'll save that. Kind of sad, you might think, but no, I am very happy.:)

I once was going to save my sign and sail bill but thought that was kind of depressing.

I'm curious.....

I write a daily journal with what we've done that day, friends we've met, details of tours we've taken,, etc.

I include maps/info from the daily program. I've always enjoyed reading my journals months/years later, recalling events I've sometimes forgotten.

I am a deltiologist (postcard collector) and one of my collections is 'been there' cards of places we've been. So, when we're on a cruise we always mail at least one postcard to ourselves at our home address. It can be a challenge to find a postcard to buy and a bigger challenge to find a place to buy a stamp and mail the card. (The ones we've had the ship mail we've never received so we don't use that option anymore.)

Hubby and I are card players, playing Cribbage and Gin Rummy often instead of watching tv at home, so in port we always try to find a deck of cards for a souvenir. Over the years we've gotten an interesting collection and it brings back cruise memories as we play cards.

Archived