Tendered vs Docked

sarahc78

Tendered = The ship anchors off shore and passengers are "tendered" back and forth on smaller boats - usually certain of the ship's life boats are used as tender boats as well. Clearly a little more of a hassle than being docked, especially since lines form at popular times.

Docked = the ship pulls up to a pier and ties up so passengers can walk on and off over the gangway at their convenience.

Tendered - you are ancored in the port and uses boat shuttles.

Docked - you are tied up at the Pier.

Tendered means the ship is anchored in the harbor, not tied up at a pier. You then use 'tenders' ie shuttle boats to go to/from the shore. Either the ship uses it's own boats, the life boats, or the port uses shuttle boats, or a mix. Depending on the port, normally you get tickets, usually in the Theater and you get in line once your ticket is called away. Some, such as Elite Capts Club, get priority tickets, but everybody gets off pretty quickly, but it does take longer, and can be 'sporty' depending on the wx and especially the winds. Kind of fun.

Docking is tied up at a pier. You usually walk off and walk into town. Some ports, the pier is in a working port area and further away from the town area, so there are bus shuttles. Sometimes you get charged. Taxis and other alternatives are also avail.

If you are on a tour and you are Docked, the buses and so on are at the Pier. If tendered, sometimes the tour starts with it's own shuttle boat or you meet where the boats tie up ashore. You'll be told which.

Enjoy!

Denny

Tendered = The ship anchors off shore and passengers are "tendered" back and forth on smaller boats - usually certain of the ship's life boats are used as tender boats as well. Clearly a little more of a hassle than being docked, especially since lines form at popular times.

Docked = the ship pulls up to a pier and ties up so passengers can walk on and off over the gangway at their convenience.

Tendered means the ship is anchored in the harbor, not tied up at a pier. You then use 'tenders' ie shuttle boats to go to/from the shore. Either the ship uses it's own boats, the life boats, or the port uses shuttle boats, or a mix. Depending on the port, normally you get tickets, usually in the Theater and you get in line once your ticket is called away. Some, such as Elite Capts Club, get priority tickets, but everybody gets off pretty quickly, but it does take longer, and can be 'sporty' depending on the wx and especially the winds. Kind of fun.

Docking is tied up at a pier. You usually walk off and walk into town. Some ports, the pier is in a working port area and further away from the town area, so there are bus shuttles. Sometimes you get charged. Taxis and other alternatives are also avail.

If you are on a tour and you are Docked, the buses and so on are at the Pier. If tendered, sometimes the tour starts with it's own shuttle boat or you meet where the boats tie up ashore. You'll be told which.

Enjoy!

Denny

Crud! That is what I thought it meant. I think we will just stay on the ship the day it is tendered lol

Thanks for the answers btw

Crud! That is what I thought it meant. I think we will just stay on the ship the day it is tendered lol

What ports do you have to be tendered into? Some are certainly worth it. I don't know if I would avoid any port just because it requires the use of tenders.

Just curious - but why would you stay on the ship just because the port is tendered? It usually doesn't take very long - lines are longer mid morning when folks are getting out for excursions and later in the afternoon when folks are getting back. But other than that, there are usually several of the tender boats going at a time.

WHY?? Tendering isn't a big deal and it's usually a fun ride where you chat with others. Plus, it is awesome when you are approaching your HUGE ship in a tender... big "photo-op"!!

What ports do you have to be tendered into? Some are certainly worth it. I don't know if I would avoid any port just because it requires the use of tenders.

Just curious - but why would you stay on the ship just because the port is tendered? It usually doesn't take very long - lines are longer mid morning when folks are getting out for excursions and later in the afternoon when folks are getting back. But other than that, there are usually several of the tender boats going at a time.

We will be on the Summit to Bermuda and the first stop is tendered in Rhode Island. We were going to get off and check and see if they had any deals on fresh lobster/seafood but really didnt have any other plans there.

I have anxiety issues so I do not fly at all and am scared to get on small boats and stuff like that. Weird I know... my poor husband we cant go anywhere unless we drive or take a cruise ship lol

WHY?? Tendering isn't a big deal and it's usually a fun ride where you chat with others. Plus, it is awesome when you are approaching your HUGE ship in a tender... big "photo-op"!!

hmmm that does sound like it would be good.

I wouldn't hesitate taking a tender. Yes it is more of a hassle than just walking off the ship but it really isn't that bad. Sorry if I gave you the impression that it was.

As for small boats - small is only meaningful in reference to something else. The tender boats are small in comparison to the ship but they are fairly large boats. They typically hold at least around 50 people in tender mode, maybe more, and have a capacity higher than that if used as a life boat. On Celebrity they are almost always certain of the ship's life boats designed for use as tenders and are operated by ship officers with the help of ship crew members - all highly trained in their use.

If you're on an organized ship's tour then there will be little or no waiting for the tender as these groups get priority. Also, if you're not anxious to get off immediately then there will likely be no wait. On the ship they will give instructions for tendering which usually involved waiting in a lounge or the theatre. Usually an hour or so after they start tendering the lines are all gone and you'll head straight for the tenders rather than waiting. This would fit in perfectly with the plans you mentioned of heading to shore for some fresh seafood.

Just take your time getting off the ship. You will be miserable if you try to be the first off the ship, even if you have priority for whatever reason.

It can be a little scary for some people getting on and off the tender boat if the seas are rough (the tender boat bounces around). I suspect it is much more difficult for passengers with limited mobility or walkers/wheelchairs/strollers.

It can be a little scary for some people getting on and off the tender boat if the seas are rough (the tender boat bounces around). I suspect it is much more difficult for passengers with limited mobility or walkers/wheelchairs/strollers.

I have found the crew was very helpful with "limited mobility problem people"(is that phrase PC)

Enjoy!

Denny

Does Celebrity charge for the bus shuttles from the tender drop off or from the pier when the ship is docked (for example: Mykonos or Barcelona into town?) Thank you.

Occasionally it can be difficult even dangerous; hence, cancellation of ports due to weather usually involves tenders...

We were in Coz once and required to tender. The seas were moving the tenders (big Mexican shuttle vessels) plus or minus 3-5 feet relative to the ships gangway. It wasn't for the mobility impaired or non-agile. You pretty much had to time your lunge across the ship-to-ship gangway. THAT was the exception defining the rule: no big deal.

Does Celebrity charge for the bus shuttles from the tender drop off or from the pier when the ship is docked (for example: Mykonos or Barcelona into town?) Thank you.

Yes - although this is unrelated to the subject of tendering v. docked - but this has just applied to European ports. In the Caribbean it has just been walk out of the port - or in some larger ports (like Barbados) they've also had a free shuttle to the port entrance.

Often if you have several people or want to go someplace different than the drop off point it is more convenient to take a cab. For example in Barcelona last November Celebrity had a shuttle to the foot of Las Ramblas, by the Columbus monument, for $5/day. We just took a cab to the area we were interested in touring. Also meant that when we were done for the day (which was after lunch) we could take a cab from wherever we were and didn't have to get to the shuttle point first and then wait for the shuttle. Only place I recall taking their shuttle service was in Venice where we were told the water taxis and other private craft didn't come to the cruise dock.

We will be on the Summit to Bermuda and the first stop is tendered in Rhode Island. We were going to get off and check and see if they had any deals on fresh lobster/seafood but really didnt have any other plans there.

hmmm that does sound like it would be good.

Make some plans!!

Go over to the "ports of call" section on Cruise Critic and see what all this port has to offer. You may be totally surprised and end up having a GREAT DAY here! (You didn't say which port in Rhode Island, but if it's Newport, then plan to do the "Cliff Walk". We did it (on our own) and had a wonderful 3-4 hour walk along a gorgeous coastline.

sarahc78 -- You should get off in Newport, RI. It's would be a short tender ride. My in-laws did it on the Maasdam a few years ago. Where the tender comes in to town is right where many of the shops and restaurants are, and some others only a few blocks away. The "Visitor Center" is just down the street so you can find much information. You could take a "Trolley" tour from here that would be from 90 minutes to 3 hours or so. Not sure about the taxi, though. We live an hour from Newport - just went down for a weekend a month ago. Took a tour of one of the Vanderbelt Family mansions (which lasted almost an hour)....absolutely amazing. Beautiful walkways along the shore line. Also did a winery tour (very small winery, but it was something different for us in MA). And had some very delicious lobster and crab cakes!!:) Believe I saw a small playground nearby.

Newport is my favorite place in the US!! if you want fresh lobster to grill go to the Aquidneck Lobster Co

The best Clamchowder is at the Black Pearl.

The Cliff walk is beautiful views along the shore on one side and Gilded Age mansions on the other.

Make some plans!!

Go over to the "ports of call" section on Cruise Critic and see what all this port has to offer. You may be totally surprised and end up having a GREAT DAY here! (You didn't say which port in Rhode Island, but if it's Newport, then plan to do the "Cliff Walk". We did it (on our own) and had a wonderful 3-4 hour walk along a gorgeous coastline.

I did go to the ports of call on this site and really considered doing the cliff walk it sounded romantic and fun... however I read on there that in the spring/summer months (which is when we will be there) that there is a TON of poison ivy. I am freakishly allergic to poison ivy. If the wind blows I get it! This summer while I was pregnant I recently got a case of it from just taking my boys clothes from the laundry room floor and placing them in the washing machine. woke up the next morning completely COVERED in it from head to toe :( Not so sure I even want to take a chance of getting poison ivy while on my vacation!

Ship lifeboats are enclosed so you don't really see the water while in them.

The thought of being in the lifeboat freaks me out!

Newport is my favorite place in the US!! if you want fresh lobster to grill go to the Aquidneck Lobster Co

How are the prices for Lobster there? That is what we had originally planned was to get off hit a pub and get some lobster.

How are the prices for Lobster there? That is what we had originally planned was to get off hit a pub and get some lobster.

I was in Bar Harbor, Maine, several years ago staying at a very nice B&B when I asked the owner of the B&B why the price of lobster was so expensive here in Bar Harbor where all the fisherman harvest the crop, when I could buy live lobster cheaper in my local supermarket in New Jersey.

All I got was a lecture of how hard these fisherman work. :eek:

I did go to the ports of call on this site and really considered doing the cliff walk it sounded romantic and fun... however I read on there that in the spring/summer months (which is when we will be there) that there is a TON of poison ivy. I am freakishly allergic to poison ivy. If the wind blows I get it! This summer while I was pregnant I recently got a case of it from just taking my boys clothes from the laundry room floor and placing them in the washing machine. woke up the next morning completely COVERED in it from head to toe :( Not so sure I even want to take a chance of getting poison ivy while on my vacation!

. . .

Don't blame you. Poison Ivy is no fun. Do you know about Vick's Vapor rub? Worked well in our family.

Archived