Celebrity Going Down Under in 2011?

Laurostar

Fremantle Port (Western Australia) is showing Celebrity Century visiting in November 2011 and February 2012 on what looks to be circle Australia cruises. Looks like the rumours of Celebrity's return to the southern hemisphere has some credibility.

The last time the "Big X" was seen on a funnel in Fremantle was the last visit of Chandris' SS Australis (ex SS America) in December 1977, when it undertook the final UK-Australia line voyage.

Celebrity will be a welcome addition to the Australian scene even if only for a seasonal appearance.

P&O/Princess have increasing competition with now 2 RCI ships coming down under in 2011 and Holland America positioning Vollendam out of Sydney for 4 months each year.

Load factors in Australia are very strong as GFC hasn't slowed the local economy and cruising is booming.

Let' s hope that the X will be seen in Australia in 2011.

Interesting - we should be reading about it soon through a Press Release.

I did see it listed on their website, under future visits! :rolleyes:

http://www.fremantleports.com.au/Shipping/Movements/FutureVisits.asp

..............................................................................................................................................................................

Yes the Century is also listed on the Sydney ports website for late 2011, early 2012. The last time I looked it was the Millenium but now the Century is there are well as RCCLs Radiance of the Seas. It is very exciting for Aussies as in the past we have not had a choice of many ships and they tend to be older and expensive. I like the sound of Celebrity but the Radiance of the Seas is tempting too. Oh well I have a while to ponder the dilemma!

Penny

Hi Everyone !

That's interesting. Last week, Royal Caribbean had news about sending Rhapsody and Radiance of the Seas down under for the 2011/2012 season. Also, there was a small tidbit about the eventual return of Celebrity to Australia. The question was, what ship, and when ? It seems we may have our answer.

If this proves to be true, this leaves me with other questions. Will Celebrity give up on the 4/5 night short Caribbean sailings from Miami ? My guess is, they will continue it. The question is, what ship will replace Century ? Will it be Mercury, or possibly an M-Class ship ? I feel that Mercury would make the most sense for the short Caribbean sailings. Other questions : As Century will need to head West for Australia, Will Century have any Mexican Riviera sailings ? Will Century sail in Alaska ?

This could be good news for Mercury fans, as it could lead to her staying for another year. Of course, this is all speculation - though we should have our answers over the next several weeks. Stay Tuned !

Hi Everyone !

That's interesting. Last week, Royal Caribbean had news about sending Rhapsody and Radiance of the Seas down under for the 2011/2012 season. Also, there was a small tidbit about the eventual return of Celebrity to Australia. The question was, what ship, and when ? It seems we may have our answer.

If this proves to be true, this leaves me with other questions. Will Celebrity give up on the 4/5 night short Caribbean sailings from Miami ? My guess is, they will continue it. The question is, what ship will replace Century ? Will it be Mercury, or possibly an M-Class ship ? I feel that Mercury would make the most sense for the short Caribbean sailings. Other questions : As Century will need to head West for Australia, Will Century have any Mexican Riviera sailings ? Will Century sail in Alaska ?

This could be good news for Mercury fans, as it could lead to her staying for another year. Of course, this is all speculation - though we should have our answers over the next several weeks. Stay Tuned !

Andy, the Baltimore and Charleston sailing have been selling well and the ratings Mercury have been the highest in the fleet, yes higher than Solstice and Equinox. She will likely keep sailing from those ports. It's likely one of the M class ships will take over the 4/5/5 night cruises. They are great money makers for the line. My guess is Solstice will likely move to San Juan and Sillie will move into Solstice's modified schedule. That would free up Summit to move to the Century run.

Andy, the Baltimore and Charleston sailing have been selling well and the ratings Mercury have been the highest in the fleet, yes higher than Solstice and Equinox. She will likely keep sailing from those ports. It's likely one of the M class ships will take over the 4/5/5 night cruises. They are great money makers for the line. My guess is Solstice will likely move to San Juan and Sillie will move into Solstice's modified schedule. That would free up Summit to move to the Century run.

Hi Rick, thanks for your insight about all of this and just a side note,

its always nice to see you on here and I hope your family is doing well:)

My speculation at this point is --------- Australia and Hawaii trips are coming!!

These are Century dates 2011/2012 on current port calendars

9/27 Maui

this implies a embark day inbetween since same stop 3 days apart

9/30 Maui

In 20 days shows up at Dunedin so, right number of days to go to Sydney or Auckland

10/20 Dunedin

In 13 days it is in Fremantle going north and doesn’t get to Sydney for 16 more days which strongly implies a counterclockwise circumnavigation with probably the same backwards schedule as Rhapsody since that schedule takes about 16 days from Sydney to Fremantle

11/2 Bunbury

11/3 Fremantle

Probably embark to split the 18 day first leg circum with 17 day second leg circum

11/4 Geraldton

11/21 Sydney 07:00a embark day

11/22 Sydney 4p

Then it goes SYD/AKL routes, probably 14 days ea

11/30 Dunedin

12/4 Tauranga

12/5 Auckland

12/6 Bay of Islands

12/10 Dunedin

12/18 Sydney 7a

12/19 Sydney embark day

12/20 Sydney 4p

12/28 Dunedin

1/1 Tauranga

1/2 Auckland

1/3 Bay of Island

1/7 Dunedin

1/15 Sydney 7a

1/16 Sydney embark day

1/17 Sydney 4p

1/25 Dunedin

1/29 Tauranga

1/30 Auckland Port for embark, since Tauranga on each side

1/31 Tauranga

2/3 Dunedin

2/7 Sydney 7a probably another clockwise circumnavigation of OZ (18day/17day) since going north from Fremantle again

2/8 Sydney 4p

2/16 Bunbury

2/17 Fremantle

2/18 Geraldton

if same as other circum would be due in Syd on March 4 or 5

now it has about 3 weeks before it would leave to HNL if it does the normal transpacific to get to HNL between 4/12-27; OR it could leave for HNL right away, then finish to mainland, and return for 14/15day Hawaii roundtrip by 4/12

4/12 Maui (this was confirmed by Celeb on 2/18/10 so they still must be working the schedules)

4/27 Maui

with this spacing between Maui it would have to do a 14/15day Hawaii cruise to do this schedule

The Millenium shows up at some OZ ports in Fall 2010 which have to be outdated schedules since it is still booking Caribbean for then.

But Melbourne has several stops scheduled in Fall 2011 pretty much eliminating its old possible schedule before it was pulled from OZ. So that implies it too, will be in OZ by Fall 2011. Most interesting!!

If only we could do something about those airfares!!

See how close I end up.:)

Hi from Down Under

There are many new cruise ships comming for the season this and next year. In fact I just did a market research for P & O UK regards new routes for the Pacific. The only problem that we have down here that there are many sea days before you get anywhere but I love to be at sea. Leaving or arriving in Sydney is beautiful and one of only a few ports arounf the world where the ship docks in the middle of the city. I will be looking for cruises out of Sydney where I live

Cruise Love:)

Does this mean we may see a repositioning involving Hawaii? I certainly hope so.

According to the Hawaii DOT, Millie will be in Honolulu April 14-15 and September 20-21 of 2011. See for yourself:

http://hawaii.gov/dot/harbors/file-links/passenger-cruise-schedules/oahucruise2011.pdf

Of course, Millie should have been in Honolulu April 9 of 2010 :( See my signature line.

I'm not sure if this port reservation is real or just left over from when X still did Hawaii/Aus/NZ.

Hi Rick !

How are you ? I hope all is well.

This is my favorite time of the Cruise year... when we can all speculate, and share our ideas. I like your idea of Summit possibly doing the 4/5/5 sailings. I agree the Short sailings will remain, as they should be very profitable for Celebrity. I really didnt think Celebrity would eliminate the Short sailings, I was just putting the thought out there.

As for Silhouette, Im fine with your idea of her taking over Solstice's 7 night Caribbean sailings, though I hope Celebrity will continue to offer them from Ft Lauderdale. I dont know why it is, but I have no luck with Miami, and I feel that Ft Lauderdale handles the entire process much better. I'd also like to see any 7 night Caribbean product, sail alternating Eastern & Western Caribbean, as it gives you more reasons to Cruise back to back sailings. I'd also like to see them tweak the 7 night Solstice itineraries, as I feel there is room for improvement.

I have to wonder why Celebrity would put an S-Class ship in San Juan, as it seems to not sell as well as other ports, especially due to the high cost of airfare. Though, if Celebrity were to put 1 ship in San Juan instead of 2, I think an S-Class ship makes a bit more sense. I wonder if an S-Class ship in Bayonne might be a possibility ?

As for Mercury, I truly hope she will remain in Celebrity's fleet for 2011/2012, no matter where she sails from.

I guess Australia has things under control now, my last memory of Fremantle was of a cruise ship cutting its lines and leaving in the wee hours to avoid even more grief from the wharfies ! !

Of course that was a long time ago . . .

My only experience by then would be with M and S class ships. How does Century match up to those? Is Sky suite about the same as M class, and Century suite?

I notice Concierge class is same size as Veranda class, are the in cabin furnishing and amenities the same?

Why do cruise lines send their oldest, or near oldest ships, to Australia?

Thanks.

All cruise members have to share their tips with the ship itself. Since it is Australia the locals do not tip as much thus only the old tired ships are willing to go to Australia. But I guess if that was true, the newer ones would not be going to Europe either.

Thanks.

Hi Ferrytale !

The reason is, as the region is an unknown on whether they will succeed or fail, lines will send their smaller ships, which in turn, will likely be their older ships.

In Celebrity's case, in past years, they have not had huge success in the region, and they are likely being cautious. It makes perfect sense for them to send a Century Class ship. Frankly, if it were my call, I would have opted to send Mercury to Australia, and let Century take over Mercury's itineraries. IMHO, getting Century, (should this prove to be accurate), is a bonus, as she has been upgraded, and is a beautiful ship.

The Century is a Post Panamax vessel amd therefore cannot transit the Panama canal, at least until the widening of the canal is completed.

Hi Abbafan !

Century is not a Post Panamax vessel, and can easily fit through the Panana Canal. The Solstice class ships, cannot fit through the Canal, until the expansion is completed.

My only experience by then would be with M and S class ships. How does Century match up to those? Is Sky suite about the same as M class, and Century suite?

I notice Concierge class is same size as Veranda class, are the in cabin furnishing and amenities the same?

Thanks.

I think that the powers to be think that Australians are unsophisticated and should be grateful for any ship that will travel that far. THIS IS UNTRUE Australians are the most travelled nation in the world and it is about time some 4-5 star ships were based here. Although I do find any cruise out of Sydney is more expensive that a similar length cruise from almost anywhere else

Cruise Love

I think that the powers to be think that Australians are unsophisticated and should be grateful for any ship that will travel that far. THIS IS UNTRUE Australians are the most travelled nation in the world and it is about time some 4-5 star ships were based here. Although I do find any cruise out of Sydney is more expensive that a similar length cruise from almost anywhere else

Cruise Love

Having been on Rhapsody and Dawn Princess, I will not go back to the 3 star, recycled old ships P&O Australia (Carnival Australia) bring down here (Pacific Sky was a dump). Cruises purchased from Australia are expensive for a number of reasons but the ships have been sailing to full capacity this year. Seems like Celebrity made the wrong decision to pull out of Australia in 2008 as 2009 was a bumper year for cruise lines in this area. I welcome RCL & Celebrity bringing better ships as an alternative and giving us the choice to say no to rubbish ships and may-be lower prices due to competition.

Archived