Unlimited Soft Drink Card

MATHA531

It is no longer a soda fountain card. It is good for one glass per punch, the glass poured from a can that may or may not have been freshly opened. I can't count the number of times I have returned a flat glass of soda for a fresh one.

Bring a case and a cold mug with you to drink on your own and drink something else with your meals- other idea - ask for the soda with no ice and a glass of ice on the side. We took a case of wine and a case of soda in Jan- it was great. We also brought travel mugs for our coffee and travel mugs for our cold drinks and we were good to go!!

Bring a case and a cold mug with you to drink on your own and drink something else with your meals- other idea - ask for the soda with no ice and a glass of ice on the side. We took a case of wine and a case of soda in Jan- it was great. We also brought travel mugs for our coffee and travel mugs for our cold drinks and we were good to go!!

We were sitting at one of the bars one day when a person did order the coke and ice separately. They thought the bar tender would fill the glass completely with the coke -- he didn't. He just filled the glass half way -- about 1/2 can of coke.

It is no longer a soda fountain card. It is good for one glass per punch, the glass poured from a can that may or may not have been freshly opened. I can't count the number of times I have returned a flat glass of soda for a fresh one.

Apparently that varies from bar to bar / ship to ship / circumstance to circumstance. On the Zaandam this past January I went to a bar and asked for a coke. I had my ship card in-hand but the bar tender (not paying attention) grabbed a glass and squirted soda-fountain coke into it and then reached for my card. Upon discovering that it wasn't a punch-able soda card but my ship card he looked at me quizzically and I said "I would like a can of coke, please." "Oh, sorry sir ... I didn't realize, I thought it was a punch-card." He set the soda fountain-filled glass aside and then got me a glass, ice, and a can of coke and he swiped my card for the transaction.

So ... at least some places they still use Soda-fountain soda for their source for the punch-card soda.

So you can carry on a case of soda with your carry-ons when boarding the ship?

Jimbo:)

Apparently that varies from bar to bar / ship to ship / circumstance to circumstance. On the Zaandam this past January I went to a bar and asked for a coke. I had my ship card in-hand but the bar tender (not paying attention) grabbed a glass and squirted soda-fountain coke into it and then reached for my card. Upon discovering that it wasn't a punch-able soda card but my ship card he looked at me quizzically and I said "I would like a can of coke, please." "Oh, sorry sir ... I didn't realize, I thought it was a punch-card." He set the soda fountain-filled glass aside and then got me a glass, ice, and a can of coke and he swiped my card for the transaction.

So ... at least some places they still use Soda-fountain soda for their source for the punch-card soda.

Since he set aside that glass of soda -- I wonder if someone got it later when the ice was half melted or he actually threw it away.

Oue travel agent is giving us a soda card as part of a beverage pkg. We don't drink soda. My question is, can we use it for bottled water or another type of beverage?

I don't know the answer to your question, but do think you should try. I have turned in other gifts for credit.

If I were you I would take the unwanted soda card to the Front Desk and ask if it could be turned in for credit. The worst they can do for you is say "no". And if they do, you won't be any further behind than you were.

If they do say "no", then you might want to ask other passengers if they want to buy it from you. Look around a lounge to see who's drinking soda and strike up a conversation.

One more note about the Soda Cards - technically they are only for use ON THAT CRUISE. On my last cruise on the Volendam, I brought a soda card I bought on the Ryndam with me. I proudly told the bartender I saved it from my last cruise as it had 6 punches left on it. He told me they are only good for the cruise you bought it on. So, I bought a new card. After looking at the new card I found it looked pretty much identical to the old card. So, I used up the old card with other bartenders and with the drink servers in the Main Dining Room.

Also, I asked for bartender for a can of soda with my soda card and he refused to give me one, even when I offered to use two punches for it. This may have something to do with not giving out cans that people could throw overboard, I don't know.

We had been accustomed to the old paper style cards and would buy a new one when we used up the previous one. We had a problem last year when the cocktail waiter refused our almost-new card. We spoke with the someone at the Front Desk who sent an email to the Beverage Manager. We had explained that we used up our card before the end of our previous cruise and purchased a new one. Here we were on another cruise, a few months later, with a card that had only two or three punches; we were unaware that the cards were to be used only for the duration of one cruise, as we had had no previous problem. The Beverage Manager refused to help us, but he changed his mind after we met in person; I'm sure the email did not supply sufficient information.

When on the Eurodam last August the beverage guy told me that the unpunched areas of my card could be used on ANY HAL ship. While on the Westerdam the cruise before last summer, the beverage guy got cross with me using a card that already has punches on it. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Does every ship have a different looking card or are they all the same? How would anyone know if you bought the card on your present cruise or one a couple years ago if the cards are all the same?

Does every ship have a different looking card or are they all the same? How would anyone know if you bought the card on your present cruise or one a couple years ago if the cards are all the same?

As of now the cards are still the same. If you don't say anything about using an old card, and if you're not trying to use a mostly used card too early in the cruise, no one will know.

He told me they are only good for the cruise you bought it on.
we were unaware that the cards were to be used only for the duration of one cruise.
While on the Westerdam the cruise before last summer, the beverage guy got cross with me using a card that already has punches on it. Go figure! :rolleyes:
I believe this is because all of the 15% service charge included in the purchase price has gone to the crew on the first ship.

Also, I asked for bartender for a can of soda with my soda card and he refused to give me one, even when I offered to use two punches for it. This may have something to do with not giving out cans that people could throw overboard, I don't know.

I doubt that, as I have often bought beer and gotten the can.

I believe this is because all of the 15% service charge included in the purchase price has gone to the crew on the first ship.

But the current cruise will most likely have punches left over that they got their share of so I am sure it evens out overall. :)

As of now the cards are still the same. If you don't say anything about using an old card, and if you're not trying to use a mostly used card too early in the cruise, no one will know.

Since the soda cards work the same way as the wine cards, I thought I'd share that on recent Eurodam sailing I pulled out my wine card which I had purchased two cruises prior (I'm such a heavy drinker) to use again with NO problem. :cool:

And even after treating some friends to glasses of wine, I still have one punch left. :eek:

You better believe I will try to collect that punch next time onboard a HAL ship ;)

• 2 years later...

I don't drink "soft drinks" but do love mineral water/club soda and sometimes have Iced Tea. Does the Soda Card cover that on HAL?

If not, what is the appropriate card to get to cover mineral water?

From this thread it sounds like the system is muddled and open to interpretation.

Can my husband and I share a card for alcoholic beverages or must we have one each?

Archived