What do you want to know about Marina?

editor@cruisecritic

Interestingly, I was told that no cabins would have obstructions but was not able to provide the level of detail to your question (obstructions in cabins immediately adjacent to those with extended balconies), sorry about that. Maybe when the ship's further along.

What I was told is that the changing ceiling heights in places like Jacques Pepin's restaurant were part of the effort to provide lifeboats with a nook that would keep them "out of the way" and eliminate obstruction of views.

Carolyn

Hi, Lynne. So no one was committing to a godmother announcement but Oceania will probably depart from its strategy of choosing godmums that are part of the cruise line's family and going with a celebrity. There were a few names bandied around by knowledgeable executives -- and we've incorporated those choices into our poll on the Oceania thread. Have you voted?

Wonder if you can guess which ones are Oceania's choices and which ones I just tossed in there :) ?

Carolyn

Hi, Lyn. Kind of curious why you would wouldn't believe an article we've written as much as a website? While websites are a great resource for info, they often don't reflect the most up-to-date changes. And I believe that Cruise Critic does a pretty good job of getting the facts right!

Carolyn

I was going by the Oceania website description

It does not mention they will now have a CLASS distinction

On the R ships everyone is welcomed in ALL the public areas

Just because you do not book a suite does not mean you may not have 8 other companions that you may wish to dine with in PRIVEE with, but alas only the very upper class will be allowed from the sounds of it.

Too bad

Lyn

Beautiful job Carolyn!

It was such a treat, meeting you and your very nice husband. We almost didn't realize how hard you were working :D

Then again, I suppose that making it look easy is part of the secret of your success.... and by extension, the success of Cruise Critic

All good wishes, and please keep up the good work.

Stan & Jim

Just because you do not book a suite does not mean you may not have 8 other companions that you may wish to dine with in PRIVEE with, but alas only the very upper class will be allowed from the sounds of it.

Too bad

Lyn

I have a feeling it will be open to ALL passengers, but the high end cabins will get first crack at reservations just as they do now for the specialty restaurants.

Excellent overview, Carolyn! I thank you for taking the time answer our questions so completely. Sounds like you had a very special and wonderful sneek peak.

And to Don - Thanks for posting your great videos.

Carolyn, do you feel Marina's standard cabins can compete with Regent's standard cabins. From the video, it looks like they do.

You are very sweet! Thank you.

Carolyn

Beautiful job Carolyn!

It was such a treat, meeting you and your very nice husband. We almost didn't realize how hard you were working :D

Then again, I suppose that making it look easy is part of the secret of your success.... and by extension, the success of Cruise Critic

All good wishes, and please keep up the good work.

Stan & Jim

It's been a long time since I've been on Regent Seven Seas (in fact, on my last cruise my then-boyfriend proposed -- Voyager, out of Civitavecchia, and we've been married going on 7 years now). But my sense is that there's not really a comparison. I've cruised more recently on Silversea, SeaDream and Seabourn, and the "standards" really are equivalent to Marina's penthouse suite (which sounds very grand and frankly somewhat pretentious but in reality are the perfect size if you don't have an uber-suite complex).

CSB

Excellent overview, Carolyn! I thank you for taking the time answer our questions so completely. Sounds like you had a very special and wonderful sneek peak.

And to Don - Thanks for posting your great videos.

Carolyn, do you feel Marina's standard cabins can compete with Regent's standard cabins. From the video, it looks like they do.

Carolyn: Again, many thanks for all your responses.

I wasn't sure how to read your reply to nyfeds (I have the same basic question). When you say "there's not really a comparison" between the standard (veranda) suites on Marina and the standard suites on Regent Mariner, do you mean that there's simply no contest suite-wise, i.e. that Marina veranda suite can't compete with Mariner's? that one would have to go up to Penthouse level on Marina to get a similar "feeling"? Since I'm thinking of giving Oceania (i.e. Marina) a try, I want to be able to compare prices as best I can to get apples and apples (understanding, at the same time, all the differences). In short, Marina standard veranda by no stretch of the imagination = Mariner standard veranda? To see how pricing compares, one should compare Marina penthouse prices to Mariner's standard prices?

Thanks for all this help!

That's exactly what I meant -- that for the Regent Seven Seas "standards" you'll want to book a penthouse on Marina....

You could compare the two ships, pricewise, but remember that RSSC is much more inclusive so it's not just the cost of the cabin that merits consideration....

Hope that clarifies!

Carolyn

Carolyn: Again, many thanks for all your responses.

I wasn't sure how to read your reply to nyfeds (I have the same basic question). When you say "there's not really a comparison" between the standard (veranda) suites on Marina and the standard suites on Regent Mariner, do you mean that there's simply no contest suite-wise, i.e. that Marina veranda suite can't compete with Mariner's? that one would have to go up to Penthouse level on Marina to get a similar "feeling"? Since I'm thinking of giving Oceania (i.e. Marina) a try, I want to be able to compare prices as best I can to get apples and apples (understanding, at the same time, all the differences). In short, Marina standard veranda by no stretch of the imagination = Mariner standard veranda? To see how pricing compares, one should compare Marina penthouse prices to Mariner's standard prices?

Thanks for all this help!

Thanks, Carolyn! I guess what I'll do is check cabin rates to begin with, and if Marina penthouse is already higher than Regent standard (i.e. even before one begins to try to figure all the additions that would be on the Oceania bottom line) that'll be a clear signal to stay with Regent. I think we'd much enjoy Oceania though, so I'm eager to run the little experiment. (I suppose I could do it right now, but I'd rather wait til the schedules/prices are out for the times that we'd actually be wanting to book-- summer 2011.)

Thank you!

Btw, the Marina penthouse is significantly larger than Mariner standard-- extra room which we absolutely don't really need. Perhaps Marina veranda might do the trick for us, though I suspect we'd find the bathrooms cramped. I wish I could get a good sense of the bathroom size comparisons, esp as we don't need both shower and tub-- shower is fine (IF it's a decent size)

Btw, the Marina penthouse is significantly larger than Mariner standard-- extra room which we absolutely don't really need. Perhaps Marina veranda might do the trick for us, though I suspect we'd find the bathrooms cramped. I wish I could get a good sense of the bathroom size comparisons, esp as we don't need both shower and tub-- shower is fine (IF it's a decent size)

Marina cabins from O website

Concierge cabins & Veranda cabins are 282 sq ft including the balcony (probably about 45-50 sq ft) with tub & separate shower

PH are 420 sq ft including balcony tub and separate shower

Oceanview cabins 242 sq ft

Maybe some photos in the other thread will give an idea of size of the bathrooms

Mariner cabins

• Deluxe Suite Cat D to H
  • 301 sq. ft.
  • Suite: 252 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 49 sq. ft.

Slightly larger than the Balcony cabins but smaller than the penthouse on Oceania

Mariner PH

• Penthouse Suite
  • 449 sq. ft.
  • Suite: 376 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 73 sq. ft.
  • Penthouse Suite includes Butler Service

RSSC PH 30 sq ft larger than PH on Marina

Now to wait for the prices;)

Lyn and I had the same idea -- I created a chart to try to show the differences in data, but of course, it has no way to indicate personal preference and other amenities.

It's a .pdf file, so you should have some form of pdf reader installed -- the most common is Acrobat, but I use Foxit. If you get a blank page, there may be some sort of link that says "Cabin Comparison" for you to click.

Cabin Comparison.pdf

Lyn and I had the same idea -- I created a chart to try to show the differences in data, but of course, it has no way to indicate personal preference and other amenities.

Great Minds & all that:D

I find the C cabins just fine but that is me

Marina cabins from O website

Concierge cabins & Veranda cabins are 282 sq ft including the balcony (probably about 45-50 sq ft) with tub & separate shower

PH are 420 sq ft including balcony tub and separate shower

Oceanview cabins 242 sq ft

Am I right in assuming that concierge and veranda cabins are the same size as oceanview (plus the balconies in former)?

If that is the case, then veranda cabins should be 242 sq ft.

PS I see Don has confirmed that already in his chart.

You must admit that the Oceanview Cabins on the Marina look HUGE

m-room-lg-c.jpg

Although, like FDR, the new Penthouses are my favorite cabin on the Marina, I believe that the Ocean View cabins are the most improved over the R ships.

You must admit that the Oceanview Cabins on the Marina look HUGE

Although, like FDR, the new Penthouses are my favorite cabin on the Marina, I believe that the Ocean View cabins are the most improved over the R ships.

The photos look good but subject to change I guess.

I am hoping they will keep the high back desk chairs;)

Now to wait for the new itineraries

Lyn

Archived