Obtaining a room already booked?

sueb

Just need help and reponse to actual question, no flames or negativity, opinions, thanks. We have cruised for may years.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 older teens) traveling on the Liberty in late June. We have 2 rooms (floor 8) close together, but with one room in between (that is booked by someone else.)The third room is not far away, but on the 7th floor. All are E1's center hump rooms. We would love to 'trade' our 7th floor room for that 8th floor room so that we could all travel together as a family. I know at sometime on these boards I have read that they have had sucess in having rccl check to see if these passengers would be willing to trade rooms so that family can travel together. Aothough I wouldn't mind (expecially since the rooms equal location) I know not everone would be willing to change, but why not a simple phone call to check? Crowne and Anchor (supervisor via the original person I spoke to) says can't be done, but am on a 'waitlist' for that room. In the mean time I'll just keep my eye out.

Sorry so long, but does anyone have experience with this? (I booked directly via RCCL and we are Diamond members).

No experience, just an opinion / thoughts on the topic.

I can´t remember reading someone on here with the same request as yours being worked on by RCI (of course that doesn´t mean it hasn´t been posted here);)

I do however remember people posting here that have been contacted by RCI about a cabin change. I´d think they might do it form time to time but I´d also think there needs to be either a very good reason or a very important passenger to do this.

Almost always as far as I remember those posts from people being asked to move result in a discussion about what they can get out of the move in regards of upgrades and OBC.

I doubt RCI will get into action for you.

Sorry but IMO being Diamond won´t help you the least bit here. Just way too many D´s out there:( if you where D+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ maybe;)

We have a similar situation. Booked a balcony cabin for myself, dh and daughter. My in-laws immediatly booked a cabin but they are 2 cabins between us. We would love to be next to each other.

I just call RCCL today and asked nicely if there was anyway to request somene to move a cabin down and there isn't.

I left it as that as I respect company rules...but it will all work out at the end.

Have not experienced this but wanted to say I think it would be a little odd if RCI actually called me and asked if I would consider changing out of the specific cabin I researched and booked over a year ago. *shrug* We're not unreasonable people by any means, so I guess I would be wondering what would be "in it for me"? No offense... just that if I was asked to change cabins, would the new one be better or worse? Same category or an upgrade? Know what I mean, jelly bean? ;)

Let us know how that goes. At the very least, you are all still together on Liberty, which is a phenominal ship. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. :)

Guess it's just me, but even when I travel with family I've never felt the need to have everyone lined up in a row...if everyone books at the same time & it works out that way fine..but it's never been a problem to be a few cabins away..course I am usually the one with the balcony cabin so everyone ends up in my room anyhow....:D

Thanks for your responses and support! We are going to wait and see and I'm sure everything will work out the way it is supposed to in the end. The bottom line is the teens (not young..17 and 18) are probably going to end up on a different floor ( at least one set of them anyway) than us. I would have prefered being in closer proximity for my peace of mind and accountability on their part.

I'm sorry The comment on Diamond may have come accross as entitlement vs what I meant. That being...we are familiar with the cruise line/ships/policies etc having all cruises many times with RCCL (Yup...earned them the long way, one at a time ; ) Thanks again for your help and Happy Cruising!

Have you tried posting on the rollcall? It is really a shot in the dark but maybe someone who posts here has that cabin and would arrange a swap with you.

Great idea except...our Roll call is still soooo dead. Hopefully it will pick up!

Just a thought, but have you mentioned to the customer service rep that your request is because your teens are in a cabin on a different deck and you would prefer to have them at least on the same deck. They may be more willing to help if they knew it was for a good reason (I am sure that they would agree that it is good to have your kids nearby!)

Thanks for your responses and support! We are going to wait and see and I'm sure everything will work out the way it is supposed to in the end. The bottom line is the teens (not young..17 and 18) are probably going to end up on a different floor ( at least one set of them anyway) than us. I would have prefered being in closer proximity for my peace of mind and accountability on their part.

I'm sorry The comment on Diamond may have come accross as entitlement vs what I meant. That being...we are familiar with the cruise line/ships/policies etc having all cruises many times with RCCL (Yup...earned them the long way, one at a time ; ) Thanks again for your help and Happy Cruising!

Nope you metioning being Diamond didn´t at all come across as thinking of it as an entitlement at all to me. I didn´t want to imply that with my response. It was more that I wanted to point out if they (RCI) do something like that at all it would have to be for some very special guests.

All just my opinion of course as I really have no experience at all.

Just need help and reponse to actual question, no flames or negativity, opinions, thanks. We have cruised for may years.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 older teens) traveling on the Liberty in late June. We have 2 rooms (floor 8) close together, but with one room in between (that is booked by someone else.)The third room is not far away, but on the 7th floor. All are E1's center hump rooms. We would love to 'trade' our 7th floor room for that 8th floor room so that we could all travel together as a family. I know at sometime on these boards I have read that they have had sucess in having rccl check to see if these passengers would be willing to trade rooms so that family can travel together. Aothough I wouldn't mind (expecially since the rooms equal location) I know not everone would be willing to change, but why not a simple phone call to check? Crowne and Anchor (supervisor via the original person I spoke to) says can't be done, but am on a 'waitlist' for that room. In the mean time I'll just keep my eye out.

Sorry so long, but does anyone have experience with this? (I booked directly via RCCL and we are Diamond members).

Since you booked directly with Royal Caribbean, have you tried calling and just asking them? If you are assuming that cabins are already booked because they don't show up on the RC website, that would usually be an incorrect assumption. If you call RC and ask, they may very likely have cabins adjacent or even connected available for you to book.

I would be very careful here and try and get these rooms switched, with 3 non adjoining cabins and only 2 adults with 4 kids, you may have problems boarding. RCI wants children under the age of 21 who are in a cabin without an adult, NEXT to or across from the parent or supervising adult, the way you have it booked at the moment this is not possible.

As the other poster pointed out, teens under 21 are supposed to be in the same cabin with an adult --- certainly not on a different deck. Try discussing that with RC and see if they can do something for you.

We recently did a back 2 back, and we had to take a different stateroom for the second week. Our cruise agent put a hold on the room for the second week, but we ended up having to move. So, don't count on the "hold" working.

Good luck and happy sailing. :)

Cruzin Lady

I just checked on the cruises for LOS for the month of June and I didn't see any weeks that didn't have an E1 catagory left on the 8th floor. Granted that third room wouldn't be an E2 hump but you would all be on the 8th floor together. you wont be three in a row but you would all be on the same floor.

As the other poster pointed out, teens under 21 are supposed to be in the same cabin with an adult --- certainly not on a different deck. Try discussing that with RC and see if they can do something for you.

We recently did a back 2 back, and we had to take a different stateroom for the second week. Our cruise agent put a hold on the room for the second week, but we ended up having to move. So, don't count on the "hold" working.

Good luck and happy sailing. :)

Cruzin Lady

Sorry, but the rules are different depending on the ages of your kids.

Our family of 6 will be cruising on the FOS in May. My husband and I are booked in an Aft balcony, with 2 insides "across the hall" for my kids...my 2 20 year olds booked in one, and my 18 and 15 year olds booked in the other. They did not need an adult over 21 booked in the cabin with them. If they are older teens, RC has no problem with them a few doors down.

I agree with you, I don't understand why they wouldn't just ask the people if they wouldn't mind switching with you. I wouldn't be offended if I got a phone call from RC like that, if you don't want to switch you just have to say no. The only trouble is, where it is a much sought after hump cabin, the people already in it probably DID do lots of research and booked it well in advance to be able to get it. But if they are a couple traveling alone...there isn't much difference between the 7th and 8th decks, so maybe they'd be willing.

Teenagers are only in their cabin to sleep and shower...why not just get a nearby inside cabin on the 8th for the 3rd cabin . Let the kids switch rooms half way through the week if they fight over which 2 get the other hump balcony. I think you'll enjoy your cruise more if you're not worrying about their whereabouts (and safety) a deck below you.

Good luck! :)

Sorry, but the rules are different depending on the ages of your kids.

Our family of 6 will be cruising on the FOS in May. My husband and I are booked in an Aft balcony, with 2 insides "across the hall" for my kids...my 2 20 year olds booked in one, and my 18 and 15 year olds booked in the other. They did not need an adult over 21 booked in the cabin with them. If they are older teens, RC has no problem with them a few doors down.

But the cabins you are speaking of are "across the hall". You are right, RCI has no problem with rooms for minors being close by. But the OP has a cabin on another deck for two of her children. My question is how she booked it that way? I am not saying the kids would not be fine, since they are older teens, just that I did not think the system would allow her to book a cabin without anyone over 21 in it on a separate deck from the parents. Hope it all works out for the OP, but I'd love to hear how she was allowed to do that?

But the cabins you are speaking of are "across the hall". You are right, RCI has no problem with rooms for minors being close by. But the OP has a cabin on another deck for two of her children. My question is how she booked it that way? I am not saying the kids would not be fine, since they are older teens, just that I did not think the system would allow her to book a cabin without anyone over 21 in it on a separate deck from the parents. Hope it all works out for the OP, but I'd love to hear how she was allowed to do that?

I assume either her or her husband must be booked on the 7th with one of the teenagers...its the only way, right?

wow, thanks for all the responses and answering my question. I wrote a long response a few minutes ago and it deleted itself somehow...drat...I did want to respond to your questions so here is the short version..

We have been booking with RCCL for over 15 years so I'm familiar with the ships, booking with kids etc. I booked directly with RCCL this time and the booking agent through C&A actually set us up in the rooms this way..dd and ds in cabin on 8, ds friend and dh in cabin on 8, myself and DD friend on cabin on 7. There are reasons we booked the E2 (overall rate after D discounts and we had old nextcruise W/obc still applicable, so was only 30$ more than insides that could have worked).We normally do a JS or D cabin for us with the kids in and inside across the way.

We could not get 3 E2's in any closer proximity or we would have grabbed them. These are litterly one stairway apart. Anyhoo, the agent knew what our eventual plan is (you can figure that out) and said just switch when you get there. We will most likely stay in closest proximity to the youngest ones and have the 18yo's in the cabin right below us.

Hope this makes sense. We keep and eye on rates via rccl and rooms via a well know site to these boards So if we can upgrade closer or a E2 closer by opens up I'll be all over it. They did put me on a waitlist for that center cabin between the two on 8, but I'm pretty sure that's like saying 'the checks in the mail' lol. Happy Cruising!

I would try the roll call -it may pick-up as the cruise draws closer. We saw a post-it note from a family in your situation on a door a few down from us on Freedom last April. It explained the family's situation and asked if they would be willing to help out. If nothing else works out, I would suggest making sure someone is at the door when they open the cabins, leave a nice note on the cabin door, and hope for the best. Make sure one of the adults is in cabin next door to speak with the people when they arrive. Do not enter the cabin on the 7th deck so it is pristine if the switch happens. Last April, they other family agreed and they switched rooms with guest services. I think the requesting family even delivered their luggage. It may or may not work - but it would not hurt to try.

Archived