Which hotel is best? Fort Lauderdale

Moondoggy51

I'm trying to figure out which hotel to stay in and I'm not having much luck getting an answer in another area of the forum so I thought I would ask here.

We are going on the Emerald Princess in Mid May and we have looked at the Sheraton, the Hyatt, the Hilton and the Embassy Suites. Can anyone give me any insight into which hotel will be better assuming that we will get in about Noon on Saturday and will have the rest of the day to relax before boarding the ship the next day?

Also, does anyone have any insight on my chances of getting one of these hotels through a priceline bid? If so any idea on what to offer as a bid?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out which hotel to stay in and I'm not having much luck getting an answer in another area of the forum so I thought I would ask here.

We are going on the Emerald Princess in Mid May and we have looked at the Sheraton, the Hyatt, the Hilton and the Embassy Suites. Can anyone give me any insight into which hotel will be better assuming that we will get in about Noon on Saturday and will have the rest of the day to relax before boarding the ship the next day?

Also, does anyone have any insight on my chances of getting one of these hotels through a priceline bid? If so any idea on what to offer as a bid?

What city? My guess is Fort Lauderdale?:confused:

We are also sailing on the Emerald mid May, and again, we have chosen the Embassy Suites. (we have stayed there many times in the past and definitely prefer it to the others you have mentioned). We love the hotel and the location. There is a managers cocktail hour (actually two hours) in the evening, with complimentary drinks. A full cooked to order breakfast in the AM, and they have a beautiful Atrium and pool area to enjoy during your stay. The rooms are nice two room suites.

There is a publix and Wine and More store directly behind and an easy walk for those last minute items, and numerous restaurants and other shipping within walking distance.

Usually, you can get a deal on the Hyatt place for about half the cost of the Embassy Suites, but it doesn't offer half of what the Embassy Suites does as far as a nice pool (Hyatt's is very small), no cocktail hour, no cooked to order breakfast, and a lot smaller rooms.

I just won the Sheraton FLL beach hotel on priceline for $ 65 for March 17/18/19 a night for the difference i can eat a full breakfast elsewhere. right across from the beach another side the watertaxi stop. 'nough for me

For all the reasons Toto mentioned...Embassy Suites...

We have stayed there about a dozen times before each of our Princess cruises from Port Everglades.

BTW, it is about $15 for a taxi from FFL to the hotel..and there is a shuttle service to the port for a small fee.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale this past January because of all the glowing recommendations I had seen on CC.

I have to admit that I was very disappointed. I thought the "living room" part of the suite was very dark and outdated. The crowds waiting for the elevators at checkout time Saturday morning made for 20 minute waits for the elevators (NOT exaggerating)! The cocktail hour was so crowded you had to wait in a long line leading up to the bar and then couldn't find a place to sit. The breakfast was not good and, again, it was very hard to find a place to sit. Trying to get out of the hotel and to the cruise port was very crowded and disorganized!

In all fairness, it is possible this was all a fluke because there were five large ships in port that day and I don't know if that is the "norm". Also, the location was very convenient and perfect for picking up wine and any last minute items from the grocery. The beds are always very nice in Hilton family hotels.

And before anyone thinks I'm just a hotel "snob" I have to admit that our hotel of choice is usually Hampton Inn, which should definitely be a step below an Embassy Suites! With all the recommendations here on CC, I just wanted people to know that things can sometimes be different.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale this past January because of all the glowing recommendations I had seen on CC.

I have to admit that I was very disappointed. I thought the "living room" part of the suite was very dark and outdated. The crowds waiting for the elevators at checkout time Saturday morning made for 20 minute waits for the elevators (NOT exaggerating)! The cocktail hour was so crowded you had to wait in a long line leading up to the bar and then couldn't find a place to sit. The breakfast was not good and, again, it was very hard to find a place to sit. Trying to get out of the hotel and to the cruise port was very crowded and disorganized!

In all fairness, it is possible this was all a fluke because there were five large ships in port that day and I don't know if that is the "norm". Also, the location was very convenient and perfect for picking up wine and any last minute items from the grocery. The beds are always very nice in Hilton family hotels.

And before anyone thinks I'm just a hotel "snob" I have to admit that our hotel of choice is usually Hampton Inn, which should definitely be a step below an Embassy Suites! With all the recommendations here on CC, I just wanted people to know that things can sometimes be different.

With 5 ships in port, that is very possible. I have to say though, out of about a dozen stays at the Embassy suites, we have only ran into the problems you found once. So, I think you just hit it on a very bad cruise ship day. We had some of the same problems several years ago, but the last couple of times, not at all.

I have actually ran into more problems, as you described, at the Hyatt Place (where we used to stay when it was Amerisuites). Their elevators were so old and slow, and the lobby area was just too small for all the guests.

My vote would be for the Reniassance on 17th. From the upper floors you can see the ships in port. You can usually get a good price on Priceline.

It had a recent renovation and looks great. There are several good resturants within walking distance. The bimini boatyard resturant right next door has a great seafood menu. There is a Walgreens right across the street. And a great French bakery around the corner for a great precruise breakfast.

A shuttle to the port should be about $6 per person.

Mike

It has been a few years since I have been there and I have to say that I agree with you. I don't think your observations are that different from the norm (Saturdays and Sundays are very busy in FLL). It is one of the few Embassy Suites that disappoints me (popcorn as the evening snack??).

On the other hand - there really isn't anything that much better in FLL around the cruise port. I have stayed at the Renaissance and it was just OK - nothing to brag about, not better or worse than Embassy Suites. I had major problems at Amerisuites (now Hyatt Place). What was formerly the Marriott Marina which has now changed ownership many times and has been hit by a hurricane a few years ago (don't remember the current name) has also gotten mixed reviews. Friends recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and it was one of their least favorite Holiday Inn Expresses.

After saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if my next visit to FLL will include a pre-cruise hotel at Embassy Suites. The other choices are not much better.

Ironically, the best reviews I have read have been over airport hotels or hotels in Dania, FL. Or if you want to really splurge - the W hotel but that is beyond what I would pay for a pre-cruise hotel.

S& M, we found the french bakery to be very over priced last time we were there in 1/10. Have you been there lately? We had been there in the past, but this last time the price was a lot more than before for a simple breakfast. We were surprised & would like your imput. Jan

If you are referring to Hyatt Pier 66, I'd go with that one. If it's Hyatt Place, I'd go with Embassy Suites or Hilton Marina.

We loved the Embassy Suites but we stayed there in 2003 -- got a Hotwire

rate of $64 per night. That's probably why we loved it so. I've tried

to secure that place since, but the rates are really high whenever we

decide to go to Ft. Lauderdale.

So last time we stayed at the Renaissance, but weren't very impressed.

The Embassy suite rooms I thought were nicer, but the Ren is so close

to the port. We were able to walk about a quarter to a half mile

and find a supermarket. I think it was Winn Dixie.

What I did like about staying at the Renaissance was there was a wonderful Italian restaurant in the strip mall right across the parking lot.

They had good drinks and food.

As for the French bakery: We went there in the a.m. and weren't

too impressed with their food. Maybe we hit it in an off day, but

my breakfast was not hot, only lukewarm. It was a croque monsieur

with bechamel sauce and they really didn't heat it very well.

The pastries were good, however.

We loved the Embassy Suites but we stayed there in 2003 -- got a Hotwire

rate of $64 per night. That's probably why we loved it so. I've tried

to secure that place since, but the rates are really high whenever we

decide to go to Ft. Lauderdale.

Those were the days! I remember getting the hotel consistently for $50 or so. So much has changed!

The Italian Restaurant's name is Bravos and we had really good food there also.

Personally, I like the Hyatt Place. I never seem to be able to get a good discounted rate at the Embassy Suites lately. HP has the free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport. Beds are comfy and they have the big flat screen TV. There's an Outback Steakhouse across the parking lot and there's a shopping mall across another parking lot. I'm not a big breakfast eater and I don't drink much, so the breakfast and happy hour aren't a big deal to me. I've been able to get a great price on Hotwire and always enjoy my stay at the Hyatt Place.

I would choose either the Embassy Suites, Hilton or Hyatt Pier Sixty Six hotels.

The Hilton is a former Marriott property directly across from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale, FL, while the Pier Sixty Six is across the port on the east side of the bridge.

I was very disappointed with the Hyatt Pier 66 and couldn't in all honesty recommend it. While the location is great, the room rates are very high, the rooms in the tower are tiny (seriously -- my minisuite on the Coral was larger than my deluxe room at the Pier 66), the hotel is definitely showing its age (the elevators are gasping for breath), and the staff and service are meh. The staff is very cold and unwelcoming, and I was surprised and annoyed to discover that the lobby bar and room service all shut down at 11pm. All in all, despite a lovely pool area, I wouldn't stay there again unless I got it for free. And even then I'd complain!

My brother has stayed at the Hilton and recommends it highly (would have been nice if he had mentioned that fact to me before my stay at the Pier 66, but never mind). For my next trip down to FLL, I'm going to give the Renaissance a shot as at least I'll be earning more Marriott points even if it's terrible! I just hate hotels that don't have windows that open. . .

Yes you can get some deals on priceline....I have lots of info to offer but no time right now......So I would suggest reading through biddingfortravel.com There are all kinds tricks of the trade and lots of great info there. I use priceline all the time. That would be my first choice if you dont have your mind set on a specific hotel. If you do.....Then priceline is not for you. Good Luck let me know if you have any specific questions.

Personally, I like the Hyatt Place. I never seem to be able to get a good discounted rate at the Embassy Suites lately. HP has the free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport. Beds are comfy and they have the big flat screen TV. There's an Outback Steakhouse across the parking lot and there's a shopping mall across another parking lot. I'm not a big breakfast eater and I don't drink much, so the breakfast and happy hour aren't a big deal to me. I've been able to get a great price on Hotwire and always enjoy my stay at the Hyatt Place.
We stayed at Hyatt Place for almost a month in January/February and can't say enough good things about the hotel staff. They were terrific. The rooms are very large with a "living room" sitting area with a couch and a large hassock, a 42" flat screen TV and a self-serve laundry (in case you do some pre-cruise traveling and want to wash some things before boarding) on the first floor. The free breakfast was fine and if you want a hot breakfast, you have that option for an additional charge.

For my upcoming cruise, I used Priceline and got the Renaissance. I've stayed there twice before and was less than impressed. Hopefully, it's improved.

My vote would be for the Reniassance on 17th. From the upper floors you can see the ships in port. You can usually get a good price on Priceline.

It had a recent renovation and looks great. There are several good resturants within walking distance. The bimini boatyard resturant right next door has a great seafood menu. There is a Walgreens right across the street. And a great French bakery around the corner for a great precruise breakfast.

A shuttle to the port should be about $6 per person.

Mike

I agree with you. This is where we usually stay and we were recently there in December. Unless you want to be on the beach,(and then I like the Marriott), this hotel has the best location.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach, free shuttle from FLL and another to Port Everglades. The room slept the 5 of us (2 queen beds and a pull out sofa) and had a free breakfast in the AM for us. We could have asked for more. Walmart and a shopping center across the street.

You might look at Bahia Mar for its location. It's probably a 3 star property. We had a great room in the tower overlooking the beach. The location is great for first timers. SInce you are going in May, being at the beach might be something you would like. This hotel shows up on Hotwire for nice prices. It is a block from the water taxi stop which is great. Easy walking to Las Olas Blvd too.

I agree....we recently stayed at Hyatt Place Airport North too. We really liked this hotel, great location. We won the bid for a Downtown 3* on Priceline for $70 a night...great deal. :) Free shuttle to/from airport and cruise port. The shopping plaza is very close, walking distance, and there are lots of shops/restaurants here. There is also a shuttle bus you can grab in front of the Publix supermarket that will take you to the beach. It is free on Friday and 50 cents other days.

Rooms at Hyatt Place were nice and large, staff was very friendly. We got in very early and rooms were not ready, but they were able to lock up our luggage so we could go to 5 Guys Burgers for lunch. :)

Here are a couple of photos of our room at the Hyatt. The huge TV was nice too.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

Archived