Cruise obligation to refund

oimui

I think it is ridiculous to expect a cruiseline to reschedule a cruise that was never cancelled. not only displacing cruisers on that future cruise you think should occur (and who is going to pay for that? YOU? More $$ from the cruiseline???), but sailing partway full due to no-shows that, while not being refunded by the cruiseline, are not contributing onboard so quite likely this will be a red cruise for them. I really don't see how any cruise line has the obligation to shortchange themselves because You think they should.

Demands by persons such as yourself that a business should do whatever YOU want it to do are simply silly and not profitable. Making it a habit of reimbursing would-be cruisers that don't show up would absolutely lead to bankruptcy. Think it thru.

Perhaps it is you that should think twice before speaking and perhaps understand that cruise ships are not your personal bath tub toys to move around at your whim. They serve MANY people beyond yourself, and shareholders to keep happy. They have schedules to keep, ports to stop in, and without fail, they REMIND CRUISERS TO BUY INSURANCE.

If you didn't buy insurance, why would you expect the cruiseline to have pity on you and hand over your cruise fare as if that was the way to do business? pull your head out, chief. if you took the risk and your gamble failed, while blame the other party?

I'd love to hear all about how the cruiseline has insurance that covers no-show pax.

You know I was not born yesterday and need not be talked down to. I simply asked a question for information. Travel insurance may not even cover a natural disaster. If Princess is taking a hard line and they have been described as "stubborn," many of their loyal passengers in the past may reassess future cruise relationshp with them. After all they are not the only company conducting cruises to South America. That is bottom line. No need to talk of entitlement, their costs, buying insurance. The question is do they value returning passengers for their cruises?

You know I was not born yesterday and need not be talked down to. I simply asked a question for information. Travel insurance may not even cover a natural disaster. If Princess is taking a hard line and they have been described as "stubborn," many of their loyal passengers in the past may reassess future cruise relationshp with them. After all they are not the only company conducting cruises to South America. That is bottom line. No need to talk of entitlement, their costs, buying insurance. The question is do they value returning passengers for their cruises?

Frankly, there's no need for any future discussion. It appears you did not have trip insurance, which would cover you for delayed or cancelled flight. This cruise is still scheduled to leave tomorrow. You could take this cruise, but you are choosing not to. By doing so, you will lose your money.

You've never really answered. Why didn't you try to get to Chile to take this cruise? Did you purchase cruise air, or did you buy airfare separately?

The cruiseline is making a choice to hold you to your contract. You are making some choices. I guess both parties have to live with their choices.

I am guessing Princess will probably not feel any pain if some cruisers choose not to rebook with them. I know I'd feel plenty of personal pain, if I lost my cruise fare.

Frankly, there's no need for any future discussion. It appears you did not have trip insurance, which would cover you for delayed or cancelled flight. This cruise is still scheduled to leave tomorrow. You could take this cruise, but you are choosing not to. By doing so, you will lose your money.

You've never really answered. Why didn't you try to get to Chile to take this cruise? Did you purchase cruise air, or did you buy airfare separately?

The cruiseline is making a choice to hold you to your contract. You are making some choices. I guess both parties have to live with their choices.

I am guessing Princess will probably not feel any pain if some cruisers choose not to rebook with them. I know I'd feel plenty of personal pain, if I lost my cruise fare.

Extremely well said, and with the utmost civility! Bravo!!

Travel insurance would also have given the OP compensation for missed ports if the cruise line does not offer a substitute itinerary. The insurance plan we currently have for our next cruise offers up to $1000.00 per pasenger for trip interruption/missed ports, or delay.

People often think of travel insurance only in terms of medical needs. It covers so many more things than just medical emergencies. This is a prime of example of what can go wrong and why travel insurance is so very important. And no - I do not, nor have I ever, sold insurance of any type - travel or otherwise! Just learned my lesson the hard way many years ago!

Because they have insurance, they can refund the money? First, that type of thinking makes me crazy. Don't worry about how much it costs...the insurance company will pay for it! You don't have to be responsible for your actions - there is insurance. You don't have to be careful - there is insurance. Where do you think the money comes from the insurance company pays for it with?!?!?! Premiums!!!!! And when losses go up, premiums go up. And when premiums go up, costs go up - you don't really think companies absorb the increased premiums do you?

VERY well put!

The question is do they value returning passengers for their cruises?

ONLY if the returning passengers play by the rules-means get trip insurance and READ the fine print in the cruise contract so you KNOW what to expect. And don't book cruise air if you don't want to be at the bottom of the barrel for rebooking.

When you have the time, go to the other forums for Princess Cruise and read about the challenges the passengers are experiencing. Let us hope and pray the passengers on Star Princess at Valparaiso is sound and safe.

A 6.1 earthquake just shook the city.

Extremely well said, and with the utmost civility! Bravo!!

People often think of travel insurance only in terms of medical needs. It covers so many more things than just medical emergencies. This is a prime of example of what can go wrong and why travel insurance is so very important. And no - I do not, nor have I ever, sold insurance of any type - travel or otherwise! Just learned my lesson the hard way many years ago!

Hi luvs2travl,

You are absolutely correct that travel insurance covers so many more things than just medical emergencies.

It's amazing how many people refuse to get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan because they think they are overpaying for a plan that includes some medical: "I don't need the medical. I have a good plan. I just want the trip cancellation, interruption, travel delays & the other coverages."

That "cut off your nose to spite your face" approach to travel insurance ends up leaving a lot of people unprotected when a non-medical emergency happens.

And, not surprisingly, many of those same people are wrong about their regular medical insurance's coverages anyway.

I naturally feel sympathy for people who didn't get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan for their trips to Chile, but it still is their own fault and they will have to bear the losses themselves.

The insurance plan we currently have for our next cruise offers up to $1000.00 per pasenger for trip interruption/missed ports, or delay.

Which plan do you have that gives you up to $1000.00 per pasenger for trip interruption/missed ports, or delay? I've never heard of a plan like that.

Steve Dasseos

I love the way everyone wants the cruise lines to be responsible for their own actions (or, in this case, inactions). Insurance for our upcoming cruise was under $150 for the whole thing. Well worth it ... just in case. Sorry you're going to miss your cruise but also think of the other people that did get there ... should they all be punished because you couldn't make it there? How many people not making it warrants the cruise line to cancel and ruin other families vacations? Selfish much?

For many who are unable to catch their cruise due to the Chilean earthquake because of airport shut down, warnings from the Dept. of State not to travel and repeated rescheduling of departures, does the cruise line have obligation to refund in full? Vouchers for future travel?

That's where your cruise insurance comes in handy....

Which plan do you have that gives you up to $1000.00 per passenger for trip interruption/missed ports, or delay? I've never heard of a plan like that.

Steve Dasseos[/quote]

From the Travel Insured website: I have underlined the stipulations I think may apply, and may have helped the OP as well.

I'm quite sure we would have to provide all itemized expenses in filing a claim. I hope we never do...

(The following are applicable to natural disaster cancellations or interruptions, NOT any type of medical or family illness type of cancellation)

[B][URL="http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/travelexselect.shtml"][B]Travelex Select[/B][/URL] & [URL="http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/travelexmax.shtml"][B]Max[/B][/URL] Evidences of Coverage say:[/B]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]TRIP CANCELLATION & TRIP INTERRUPTION [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]The Company will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are prevented from taking or unable to continue Your Covered Trip due to:[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3](b) You or a Traveling Companion having his/her principal place of residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood or other natural disaster; or burglary of his/her principal place of residence within ten (10) days of departure.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3](i) [U]Weather that causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive hours.[/U][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3](j) [U]A cancellation of Your Covered Trip if your arrival on the Covered Trip is delayed and causes You to lose 50% or more of the scheduled Covered Trip duration due to a defined Hazard (Trip Cancellation Only).[/U][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3](m) Natural disaster at the site of our destination that renders the destination accommodations uninhabitable.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Inclement Weather: means any severe weather condition that delays the scheduled arrival or departure of the Common Carrier.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2][SIZE=3][B][U]Missed Port of Call[/U][/B]: Worldwide Trip Protector and Gold plans offer a “Missed Port of Call” benefit that addresses cruise or tour disruptions due to unforeseen events such as hurricanes. Insured passengers who prepay for a non-refundable shore activity in a port of call, or a scheduled stop on a tour, but miss the activity due to a change of itinerary, can be reimbursed up to $750 unless the missed activity is rescheduled during the course of the trip.[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial][FONT=arial][SIZE=3][B][U]Missed Connection[/U]: [/B]This coverage can protect you if, as a result of a weather-related disruption of your common carrier for three or more hours, you miss your cruise or tour departure. Benefits can be paid up to the limits specified on your selected Worldwide Trip Protector plan.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[B]Here's An Overview of Trip Interruption Coverage[/B]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]You can't get out and are forced to ride out the storm: You also won't have a valid claim because if you don't leave then your trip wasn't cut short. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][U]Your cruise line substitutes a destination to avoid a storm: You won't have a valid claim because you still got to take the cruise.[/U] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Some time later you go to a destination that was adversely affected by the storm. If the place is inhabitable, but isn't what you expected or there are damaged facilities, travel insurance won't cover you. It's the responsibility of the travel supplier to make any adjustments.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/LIST]I hope this helps....:)

General question.

I think alot of the travel insurance does not cover a cancellation for earthquake. But they do cover travel delay/interruption. At what point does that kick in and maybe turn into cancellation? Just how does it work in action?

for example, in the Star Princess case, if you are scheduled to fly and your flight is cancelled. Do you call the travel insurance people to get them to rebook you at their cost? your cost? What if the airfare to rebook is as much at the trip? Can only get you to the last part of your trip? If you are left to book on your own and no flight can be found, what do you do?

I don't think it is quite as easy as saying be sure to have travel insurance. What really happens?

What really happened in this case is that some people cancelled after the earthquake, and many of them will be covered by insurance and/or the any-reason credit. Some cheapo third party policies may not cover earthquakes, and those folks would have a problem.

Others attempted to make the cruise but could not find flights or could only get partway to the port; some of them have posted they were in contact with their insurance and are covered by both trip delay and trip interruption. In general, one must try to make it to the ship for up to half of the cruise. In this case, that would have been until March 9, and the only ports within that timeframe with the revised itinerary are embark and Ushuaia. Many people were told, because of limited flight availability, to turn around and come home. BUT, it is imperative that you work with the emergency travel company that most policies list as one of their benefits in order to show you tried to get to the ship.

[quote name='happy cruzer']General question.

I think alot of the travel insurance does not cover a cancellation for earthquake. But they do cover travel delay/interruption. At what point does that kick in and maybe turn into cancellation? Just how does it work in action?

for example, in the Star Princess case, if you are scheduled to fly and your flight is cancelled. Do you call the travel insurance people to get them to rebook you at their cost? your cost? What if the airfare to rebook is as much at the trip? Can only get you to the last part of your trip? If you are left to book on your own and no flight can be found, what do you do?

I don't think it is quite as easy as saying be sure to have travel insurance. What really happens?[/quote]

Hi happy cruzer,

Unfortunately, there are no answers that cover all plans across the board. Plus, it's complicated by the fact that many so-called "travel insurance plans" aren't real travel insurance plans.

Mark Twain said, "The difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt".

The phrases "travel insurance", "trip insurance" and "cruise insurance" are glibly thrown around causing many people to assume all plans are essentially the same - they are not.

What is commonly know as a "pre-departure waiver / protection" plan contains elements of insurance in it, but it's mostly a promise to pay on the part of the cruise line, tour operator or travel supplier.

Imo, often "non-travel insurance pre-departure waiver / protection plans" as portrayed as to be "real travel insurance plans", while they technically are not.

Why do I think this is important?

Here's Why: Insurance is actually a legal term and it has certain understandings associated with it. Yet, many people in the travel business, who are not insurance agents, seem to apply the phrase "travel insurance" to every type of "protection plan" and "waiver plan".

Why did I say all this? It's because when there's a mass-event that affects a lot of people, that we will see exactly how these plans really work. Unfortunately, imo, many people will end up blaming the travel insurance companies for their claims not being paid, while some of the blame resides with both the travel insurance sellers and the consumers themselves for not knowing how their policies work.

On a separate theme, I hope this earthquake also exposes the risks of using cruise air.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but there are too many plans that work differently from each other.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

Cherly and Steve, Thanks for the extra info.

But one thing that is confusing is the references to third party insurance and cruise air.

I thought that if you purchase third party insurance it helps cover the short coming of cruise air??? I.E. the cruise air ticket can't be changed at no cost to get you when you need to be then your third party trip interruption/delay can help you there. Is that not how it usually works?

Thanks. and I will keep reading all the threads for insurance specifics to get more educated.

[quote name='happy cruzer']...I thought that if you purchase third party insurance it helps cover the short coming of cruise air???...[/quote]I think the answer to that is twofold, and of course, those two answers are yes and no.

Third party policies will cover the cost of your cruise air if you cancel (and included the air cost in your policy and it is a covered reason). But trip interruption and trip delay coverage differ...and limits can be very low for trip delay, typically $500. That will not cover getting an entirely new ticket for a different port. If you can claim trip interruption (usually same reasons as for cancellation) then you are covered for up to 150% of the total trip cost, which just might cover a last minute full-price ticket to a new port. But it depends on the fine print of your policy as to what would count as trip interruption. I think some policies ONLY include medical reasons for cancellation/interruption, not anything else....which would be of no help whatsover in the Chilean earthquake travel troubles.:eek:

[quote name='Dr. Jack Daniels']I know us Americans are so shallow.:rolleyes:

Looting is stealing. Don't make excuses for criminal acts.[/quote]
Taking big screen TV's and other such items is looting----taking food is survival.

Archived