Noro on Emerald March 3, 2010

Elaine237

From what I have heard about the precautions that go into effect when that happens, it would be a nuisance, but not a cruise destroyer. I have on 9 Princess cruises and have never experienced noro while on board nor the consequences of an outbreak. I have had it onshore in my own neck of the woods. Not fun. While we do not go to the lengths that some do, my DH and I are scrupulous about hand washing before, after, and in between. We don't just rely on the hand sanitizers. Hope they get it cleared up soon.

Just after leaving St. Martin the Captain announced a gastro intestinal outbreak on Emerald.

Elaine

Norman, OK

March 5, 2010---Noon---Capt announce that the number of new cases was less today than yesterday, but that the precautions would remain in effect for the rest of the cruise.

We had an outbreak of the norovirus on our first Emerald Princess cruise in December 2007.

Our local newspaper had an article about the virus this week. It is here.

A couple of weeks ago, the virus hit a YMCA student meeting, making 150 of the 1,000 attendees sick. And another news article said 80 residents and staff members of a nursing home in Durham had become sick from the virus last month.

Hi There,

Noro is not the end of the world, been on the Sun when she was badly affected for a few cruises a few years ago,

been on a few more cruises were smaller out breaks could be spotted,

the lack of salt and pepper on tables, red bio hazard bags appearing,

doors being held open etc lots of small signs that all may not be well.

yours shogun

So hows the cruise??????

Busy...alot of people are on the run...and so many things keep coming up...

sorry just couldn't help myself....

Hope you stay healthy and enjoy your cruise!!!!

Hi There,

Noro is not the end of the world, been on the Sun when she was badly affected for a few cruises a few years ago,

been on a few more cruises were smaller out breaks could be spotted,

the lack of salt and pepper on tables, red bio hazard bags appearing,

doors being held open etc lots of small signs that all may not be well.

yours shogun

Great observations Shogun...the little things...makes perfect sense, I'll remember that and keep an eye open.

Cruise has been fine. Met many fun people. The noro has been handled much as expected. Crew serves you in the buffet, that kind of thing. I posted just in case anyone sailing next week wants to bring Lysol wipes to do their own cabin. I know a lot of people do that anyway. I don't, but mainly because it seems too much like work.

Oh, we thought it very funny that in Grand Turk the passengers on Carnival Glory were warned that we were a plague ship. (Not their exact words, still thought it was funny.)

Elaine

Norman, OK

Interesting that the captain announced it. We got the Noro on a NCL Jewel cruise several years ago. When we asked the dr. if it was Noro, the reply was, "It's hard to tell." But they didn't charge us for any medical services. We also saw the indications (salt/pepper packets, no self service at the buffet, etc.), but nothing was announced - they were trying to keep it quiet, but everyone was talking about it.

NMI

Forgot to mention that they carried a body of at St Marteen. But, it was not related to the noro.

Yes Code Alpha was announced just as we were disembarking in St. Maarten.

As far as Noro...I was not surprised this happened. This is our first Princess cruise and we were quite surprised that there were not more efforts at enforcing sanitizing until the outbreak. Other cruises we have been on had us having to sanitize each time we embarked, picked up a plate in the buffet, etc. We could not find a sanitizer that worked until the outbreak. When embarking in St. Maarten, with 6 ships in port, both Carnival Dream and Celebrity Solstice had sanitizers at embarkation. Princess...nothing...... :confused:

I've always been offered hand sanitizers on Princess. Never thought about them for

embarkation, but since Carnival and Celebritiy, like the rest of them, have outbreaks

of norovirus, I don't know how much good it does.

When embarking in St. Maarten, with 6 ships in port, both Carnival Dream and Celebrity Solstice had sanitizers at embarkation. Princess...nothing...... :confused:

We just disembarked from this cruise also and I totally agree. Couldn't understand how the Sea Princess provided regular wet hand towels and all the other cruise lines had some sort of disinfectant wipes for people to use prior to boarding. In all fairness Princess did have a crew member walking up and down the gangway spraying disinfectant and wiping the banister but in my opinion it would have made more sense to just provide wipes. He must have gone back and forth several times just in the short amnt. of time we waited to reboard.:rolleyes: The staff was so overworked to begin with having to work extra shifts it made no sense in this situation to have a crew member wipe a banister on the gangway when just providing wipes would have done just a good a job if not better. In my opinion wipes prior to reboarding should be used whether or not there is an outbreak.

One of the tour guides in Grand Turk also referred to our ship Emerald as "the sick ship". He even said he was told to get some type of mask as to not catch it. :rolleyes:

We all just laughed and told him it wasn't that bad on board at least not yet.

We just disembarked from this cruise also and I totally agree. Couldn't understand how the Sea Princess provided regular wet hand towels and all the other cruise lines had some sort of disinfectant wipes for people to use prior to boarding. In all fairness Princess did have a crew member walking up and down the gangway spraying disinfectant and wiping the banister but in my opinion it would have made more sense to just provide wipes. He must have gone back and forth several times just in the short amnt. of time we waited to reboard.:rolleyes: The staff was so overworked to begin with having to work extra shifts it made no sense in this situation to have a crew member wipe a banister on the gangway when just providing wipes would have done just a good a job if not better. In my opinion wipes prior to reboarding should be used whether or not there is an outbreak.

One of the tour guides in Grand Turk also referred to our ship Emerald as "the sick ship". He even said he was told to get some type of mask as to not catch it. :rolleyes:

We all just laughed and told him it wasn't that bad on board at least not yet.

The Emerald is not the only "sick" ship to visit GT or anywhere else for that matter, believe me.

I think with Princess and their 17 ships that they know the routine very well and do what works for them, after all there is alot at stake.

Hand sanitizers were not prevalent on the Ruby until noro reached Code Red, and then they were everywhere.

A word of warning to anyone allergic to metals, specifically copper...the hand sanitizer that Princess is using in some (not all) places on their ships contains copper.

We just disembarked from this cruise also and I totally agree. Couldn't understand how the Sea Princess provided regular wet hand towels and all the other cruise lines had some sort of disinfectant wipes for people to use prior to boarding.

Do you know for a certainty that the towels you were being given did not contain some sort of disinfectant? I was also led to believe that the most effective method of containing any outbreak is to wash your hands and not rely on hand sanitizers. Maybe using a wet towel, especially if there is something in the wetting agent, is just as effective as a hand sanitizer.

Archived