'Dream' missed Roatan today 3/9/10

drsullivan

If we miss that port (or any ports) while sailing the Legend in December, I'm guessing DH will be disappointed for about 10 seconds...then he'll say "Let's go be romantic in the cabin!" :D :rolleyes:

we call that "taking a nap".....

Yeah right.:( Been there, done that (Glory skipped it in Jan. due to "rough seas"). They don't give you squat, except an earful about "how fortunate you are that the captain made a brave decision".

They actually do refund the port taxes..We got OBC for missing Costa Maya on Dream in January....:rolleyes:

We always cruise in September and it is Hurricane season. I have missed so many ports that I can't even count the number of times I have been re-routed. I really don't care where we go as long as I am on the ship having fun. We have been "compted" on different lines, including free bar for several hours, actual OBC and one time it was so screwed up they gave us half of the cruise fare back. We have had a great time each and every cruise whether we make it to port or not! :)

When I was on the Freedom last year, we missed Grand Cayman due to the seas. The only thing we got out of it...Carnival put the port charges for Grand Cayman back on the sail and sign card.

I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of stops in Roatan are canceled (like airline on time percentage is reported). .

I am too. We've been to Roatan twice (I love it!!). I wasn't aware that was one of the ports that was often missed because of seas/winds.

That is funny as hell!! :D

Actually, that isn't funny. It happens quite often, unfortunately.

This is slightly off topic for this thread, but OBCs were brought up so I thought I would ask.

If you have OBCs left over at the end of the cruise, how are they refunded? Are they refunded?

Just go to the Guest Services desk and they will refund you in cash. We did that our last cruise. Some have said they will give you a check on the last day too.

When I was on the Freedom last year, we missed Grand Cayman due to the seas. The only thing we got out of it...Carnival put the port charges for Grand Cayman back on the sail and sign card.

Same thing for us... on another line. So, I think thats the norm for most cruiselines.

In a case like this, do they refund you for the shore excursions? I have never had a port canceled where I had an excursion booked so I was wondering............

If booked thru cruise line, yes they are handled automatically. If with private company and you made a deposit, you have to handle it...:rolleyes:

In a case like this, do they refund you for the shore excursions? I have never had a port canceled where I had an excursion booked so I was wondering............

If you had a ship based excursion...yes. If you did something on your own.....no

Expecting to receive something just because you miss a port because of inclement weather or civil unrest is in my opinion unreasonable. Port taxes and such are the standard to be refunded I believe, as well as being refunded any excursions that may be booked. I think it is an extra bonus if you happen to be on board a ship that will bring out some extras for their passengers such as free drinks, obc or goodies on the lido deck. I just don't think just because you miss a port you are automatically entitled to all these freebies. JMHO!! Otherwise I am always just so glad to be on a cruise. To the OP, I certainly hope you have a great extra sea day today and that the weather is awesome for yall! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

If booked thru cruise line, yes they are handled automatically. If with private company and you made a deposit, you have to handle it...:rolleyes:

Awesome guys, thats for the advise. I always books thru the cruise line mostly becase I am too lazy to look on the net and find other options. This is a nice perk of booking thru the ship though. I felt stupid because we've been on 5 cruises, but realized the only times we have missed port were ports we had nothing planned. We are going to Half Moon Cay this spring and I heard it gets canceled on occation so was wondering.

Expecting to receive something just because you miss a port because of inclement weather or civil unrest is in my opinion unreasonable. Port taxes and such are the standard to be refunded I believe, as well as being refunded any excursions that may be booked. I think it is an extra bonus if you happen to be on board a ship that will bring out some extras for their passengers such as free drinks, obc or goodies on the lido deck. I just don't think just because you miss a port you are automatically entitled to all these freebies. JMHO!! Otherwise I am always just so glad to be on a cruise. To the OP, I certainly hope you have a great extra sea day today and that the weather is awesome for yall! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

I 100% agree with you on this.

As I said in an earlier post, after missing Grand Cayman, my DH said "Oh well, we will just have to go on this cruise again!!" LOL... hey, no problem!!!

Oh my, I can't believe those people!!!! Although I have been on a crusie that missed Grand Cayman once, I was disappointed for about 5 second and decided I was on vacation and had a wonderful day.

Those people look mad as heck and just so not necessary on a vacation.

Oh well, I guess it would be easy to find myself a chair on Serenity Deck if everyone was inside complaining!

Think this is what it's like right now???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0sIlNj4VE

That video is just unreal. What a bunch of pathetic troublemakers. I can't imagine going on a vacation and being so pizzed that I missed a port of call (like those "victims" on the Legend in the video). Glad I wasn't there for that fiasco.

When we missed Mahogany, we were still able to dock at Coxen, so no OBC (and none expected). Sad missing MB as we looked forward to it, but it still beat any day at home. We just wished they had comped a bus ride to MB, which they did not. But guess what? We smiled and life went on!:)

That video is unbelievable!!! I am amazed how so called grown-ups will act! Kind of makes you wonder about their kids!:confused: These were not people on vacation, these were people trying to get something for nothing IMHO! I am so thankful that I have never had to deal with a mob like that! Ridiculous! Some people just never grow up!

oh, and as long as they did not come over the speaker and say "since we are not going to the island please get dressed for work and report to your desk" I would just go with the flow...........

Goooood Juan :D

That video is unbelievable!!! I am amazed how so called grown-ups will act! Kind of makes you wonder about their kids!:confused: These were not people on vacation, these were people trying to get something for nothing IMHO! I am so thankful that I have never had to deal with a mob like that! Ridiculous! Some people just never grow up!

When I first saw that video I said to myself that these losers were probably those who are chair hogs as well, so at least if they were pissing and moaning in the lobby I'd get a good chair near the pool or hot tub!!!:D

Wow those people are nuts. And I love the guy proclaiming that they are just exercising their first amendment rights.

"Hey buddy. You're floating on international waters, on a piece of private property which is registered in a foreign country. What 'rights' are you talking about?"

When I first saw that video I said to myself that these losers were probably those who are chair hogs as well, so at least if they were pissing and moaning in the lobby I'd get a good chair near the pool or hot tub!!!:D

I am so with you on that!!! Love it!!!

Bottom line is that Carnival needs to do something about their grand failure of a port. How many millions did they spend to build that thing and now ships are missing it more often than not?

We missed it last week on the Valor, and yes I'm pissed off about it. I planned on spending the day on the beach relaxing with my kids. My cost? The all day chair lift ticket.

Instead I spent over $100 to go to a beach somewhere else that sucked. Nothing besides that moron Big Tex saying, "Sorry folks, uh huh, it's too darn windy and we can't go, this has been yet another stupid Tex message".

Archived