For Princess newbies: Any tips, tricks or other Princess only things to know?

Morgsmom

Also do you have suggestions for activities for our 2 generations to enjoy together including when we are at the ports? My grandpa has a bad back so limited walking and no bumpy rides would be great!. They are celebrating 50 years and we will be celebrating 2 year anniversaries. Our ages are 70's and 30's. Thanks!

I agree with others that you can not miss Alfredo's pizzeria. It's delicious and I believe it's open for lunch on embarkation day as well. :)

As for excursions on land, if your family loves looking at scenery and enjoys easy excursions, my family and I did a Misty Fjord boat excursion in Ketchikan last year. It's an extremely informative excursion. They offer you a map once on board that describes the history and current plants/animals that populate the area. They also give you snacks along the way. This excursion doesn't require you to get off the ship or move around much since your group will have your own seat and table (all window seats). It's a little boring because there isn't much excitement but it is perfect for passengers who aren't allowed to do strenuous activities.

Edited by carinainacar

Yes...anytime dining is amazing! Also...if you have fixed seating and you are not happy with your waiter or with your tablemates( if you pick a larger table than your travel companions) you are kind of stuck....we usually "shop" for our waiter....when we find him/her, we book it for the rest of the cruise...!!!!

Be aware that some ships do not take reservations for Anytime, and some take them only for specific times.

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I'm a young cruiser with one trip under my belt. I've been on the Disney Cruise to Mexico with a friend. We had a blast and felt like kids with no worries.

I am doing a second cruise on the Grand Princess to Alaska in 2016 and have my Husband ( it was very hard to convince him to come) and Grandparents in tow.

Since this will be my first time on Grand Princess are there any Hints, Tips, Specials that I should be aware of?

Also do you have suggestions for activities for our 2 generations to enjoy together including when we are at the ports? My grandpa has a bad back so limited walking and no bumpy rides would be great!. They are celebrating 50 years and we will be celebrating 2 year anniversaries. Our ages are 70's and 30's. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Post often. :)

Have a celebratory martini!! :D

we will be on the sapphire princess for a asian cruise leaving singapore....any hints for this ship would be appreciated

We sailed this route on Sapphire last February. Some random reflections for you...

Easy embarkation and we were on by lunch. Enjoy the sea of Thailand- very calm! Ship was lovely. She's sister ship to Ruby, Emerald. We have also sailed those, and they're similar throughout. Sapphire is nicer, however.

The Sapphire has an enclosed lido deck pool, so that's different.

If you like the popular aft lounge chairs, you shouldn't have a problem finding it on this sailing. The aft adult pool was quiet, which we prefer.

The stateroom TV offers on demand movies, which we loved. Not saying that we crossed half the globe to catch up on Hollywood, but the 14-hour time change had us on a movie marathon for a few nights/wee mornings. We ordered room service those first two nights ;-) I didn't feel badly or that we missed out. A day on a cruiseship beats any workday!

We especially liked the restaurants as they had finer decor than the other ships. Vivaldi restaurant near Vines was small, with a trendy feel. Calypso bar was always packed, spilling into Crooner's. Alfredo's for good pizza. The formal nights were very dressy for women - designer gowns were the rule, not exception.

It was CNY when we went, so loads of kids were off school. The kids (and us adults!) enjoyed a terrific new year parade in the piazza.

I like the gym and the sauna was in use more there than usual. And I not think we paid extra to sit and swim in Sanctuary pool area - that was free. And also quiet (no kids).

We thoroughly enjoyed the ship! Have a great cruise!!

If you don't want room service, the Horizon Court buffet is open 24 hours a day.

The Horizon Ct. is not open 24 hours/day. It opens at 5am with cont. breakfast, and they start serving full breakfast items at 6am. One section or multiple sections will be open throughout the day and evening until 11pm or maybe mid night. It never closes during those hours. The International Cafe is open 24/7 with various selections at different times of the day and night.

]

Yes, Eastern Itineary on the Emerald... We've been to the Eastern ports before (except Princess Cay) but it's the little Princess things I am curious about. I'd love to do the Captain's Table but I am traveling with my 14 year old DD and doubt that children are allowed.

Pools, Try the Chill Out Pool & hot tub area on deck 16 aft. It is a family pool area that gets very little use. The Terrace Pool & The Lotus Spa Pool are adults only. The Calypso Reef Pool area has movies and videos playing all day, The Neptune's Reef Pool is movie screen free and will have live bands at times. Look up the unlimited soda package or the soda & more package on the web, search Princess Cellars. I also like the coffee card, but realize coffee is free in the buffet all day and night. On Princess cays there are plenty of loungers in both sun and shade. Since this is a tender port, get your tender ticket early. A cafeteria style lunch is served in two locations at Princess Cays. As you exit the tender the beach area to the right has more of a coral bottom, the area to the left by the bar is smoother. But, we always wear water shoes.

Besides the DR's Free food is available in the buffet, International Cafe, Trident Grill Pizza & Ice Cream Bar (soft ice cream, shakes and floats have a charge).

When boarding go directly to your cabin it will be ready, no cabin call. The muster drill is held inside in the lounges on decks 7 & 6. Carry don't wear your life jacket to the drill, you will put it on at the end of the drill. Arrive 10 mins early if you want a seat.

Anything that we absolutely should know? For example, certain off-menu room service items that they will bring you if you ask? Any other "secrets" or "secret handshake" items?

You may want to check out this thread of Princess secrets, 2015 (there's been a similar thread each year for the last 2 or 3 years)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169088

So what's it called and where is it?

The Spa/lap pool (adult only and no charge) is on deck 15 forward with an entrance from inside the fitness area. It can also be accessed from deck 16 outside the Sanctuary.

The covered pool is the Calypso pool on deck 14.

• 2 months later...
The Spa/lap pool (adult only and no charge) is on deck 15 forward with an entrance from inside the fitness area. It can also be accessed from deck 16 outside the Sanctuary.

The covered pool is the Calypso pool on deck 14.

Thanks Caribill! Love CC and all the helpful people like yourself!

Looking forward to our first cruise on the Sapphire in December - 26 days now, not that I'm counting :)

Cheers...

Princess ships have laundry rooms. It is $2 to wash and $2 to dry.

Twice-baked Goat Cheese Souffle. Yummy deliciousness.

You can write a letter to the captain asking for a bridge tour. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no. Can't hurt to ask.

If you need a quiet place to chill out. The Wedding Chapel is often empty.

Princess ships have laundry rooms. It is $2 to wash and $2 to dry.

Most ships are now $3 to wash and $3 to dry.

These are the ships that now have a token (obtained by swiping your cruise card) to pay instead of inserting quarters.

Many good tips have been posted here.

Please take the tips I am posting in a positive way.

For the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants- check the dress codes.

At dinner, wearing shorts or baseball caps are not appreciated.

Also, if you are a smoker,please note the appropriate smoking areas and refrain from smoking on the balcony as the cabins and balconies are now smoke free on Princess.

The best tip of all - enjoy the cruise!

• 5 months later...