Cremation/Burial at sea ?

Tobey 1968

We scattered my mom's ashes off Diamond Head on a chartered sailboat, it was beautiful and exactly what she wanted.

Extraordinary experience this week: My dad had a massive coronary arrest while driving Tuesday morning. He was clinically dead for over 20 minutes and the doctors told us there was no chance for survival and he would be brain dead. We were beginning to plan his memorial service and were discussing scattering his ashes on Wednesday. After putting him into an induced hypothermia, he came out yesterday and woke and is now speaking. It's an unbelievable miracle! He is actually conversing with us and we're telling him what he's been through. I've been at the hospital all week and I'm emotionally drained. Our network of prayers is the only thing I can explain how this is possible.

Thought I would share this incredible experience here. We are going to have the best Christmas ever!

Cobalt - thanks for that uplifting post. I will add your dear Dad to my prayers, but obviously, he's got plenty of "angels" pulling for him. Lost my extra special Dad almost 5 years ago, and around the holidays is when we miss him most, if that is at all possible. You are very blessed to have such an amazing outcome. And you're SO right, you've got a miraculous and magical Christmas ahead! So happy for you all.

We were able to "bury" the cremains of a great aunt and uncle who loved Europe [but not cruising] when we were on the Prinsendam in July 2010. The arrangements were made ahead of time simply by sending an email to Seattle. We were told to contact the Front Desk/Guest Services when we boarded to finalize the details.

I went on line and found biodegradeable cardboard-like containers designed specifically for this purpose. I was able to transfer the remains to the included plastic pouches, then sealed them in the biodegradable boxes.

We opted not to have any type of ceremony although the chaplain's services were offered. The "burial" had to take place when it was convenient for the captain as he is the only one permitted to throw anything overboard. We were in the Sea of Norway [international waters] when we descended to Dolphin Deck and made our way to the stern where we sent our two packets through one of the openings for the hawsers. The "urns" floated a bit before sinking. Later, we received a detailed certificate with ongitude and latitude to commemorate the event.

BTW, the captain made the point that he is not authorized to conduct burials at sea for passengers who cut their cruises short. Every body [literally] has to be accounted for [for security/TSA] although we have heard of land-based cremations during cruises. Still, the ashes were brought aboard for the trip home. There must be allowances for burials ashore prior to disembarkation day, but the paperwork must be horrific.

Just got back from another day at the hospital, thank you for the prayers. Short term memory is improving but we still have a long way to go. It's truly remarkable that my father is alive, let alone talking, joking and flirting with the nurses.

I told him today we were prematurely planning his memorial and ash scattering in Hawaii. He teared up and reaffirmed that's how he wants to go ... but he's not ready yet!

Just got back from another day at the hospital, thank you for the prayers. Short term memory is improving but we still have a long way to go. It's truly remarkable that my father is alive, let alone talking, joking and flirting with the nurses.

I told him today we were prematurely planning his memorial and ash scattering in Hawaii. He teared up and reaffirmed that's how he wants to go ... but he's not ready yet!

I am so happy for you!

We scattered my mom's ashes off Diamond Head on a chartered sailboat, it was beautiful and exactly what she wanted.

Extraordinary experience this week: My dad had a massive coronary arrest while driving Tuesday morning. He was clinically dead for over 20 minutes and the doctors told us there was no chance for survival and he would be brain dead. We were beginning to plan his memorial service and were discussing scattering his ashes on Wednesday. After putting him into an induced hypothermia, he came out yesterday and woke and is now speaking. It's an unbelievable miracle! He is actually conversing with us and we're telling him what he's been through. I've been at the hospital all week and I'm emotionally drained. Our network of prayers is the only thing I can explain how this is possible.

Thought I would share this incredible experience here. We are going to have the best Christmas ever!

Miracles do happen!!

Now you all can enjoy the holidays instead of having to take care of a funeral.

Another option would be to ship the cremains to a hotel or friend in the departure city.

Having gone through this just recently I can tell you that very few shipping carriers will accept cremains. I know for a fact that FedEx and UPS will not but the US Post Office will. At the time we only checked one airline and that was American and, as it turned out, they had no issue. We could take the cremains on the flight in our carry-on luggage or they could be part of our checked luggage.

Miracles do happen!!

Now you all can enjoy the holidays instead of having to take care of a funeral.

KK, It will be the best Christmas ever. Not sure if he'll be home, hospital or rehab center but the party will come to him.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses and prayers.

What a Christmas Miracle for you and your family. I am glad he is improving!!

Very happy to hear. My prayers for his continued improvement.

Having gone through this just recently I can tell you that very few shipping carriers will accept cremains. I know for a fact that FedEx and UPS will not but the US Post Office will. At the time we only checked one airline and that was American and, as it turned out, they had no issue. We could take the cremains on the flight in our carry-on luggage or they could be part of our checked luggage.

Last January when returning from a conference in Orlando, the TSA recognized that the man behind me in line had ashes in a small box. He asked that the man put a coin under the box and place it in one of those bins. I was totally clueless and ask the reason for the coin. The TSA said the scanner can not detect the ashes and would just show a black void on the screen. The coin lets them know there is nothing in the box that can't be identified.

I told the traveler I was sorry for his loss. At the time I recalled I had never really thought about traveling with ashes before and filed it as a mental note until reading this thread.

The thought of spreading ashes at sea is one I'm interested in. I grew up in the Destin, Florida area and the Gulf of Mexico will always be home in my heart. But since Carnival is the only line that sails out of that area (Mobile, AL) I'll have to find another way as I don't really want to have my last cruise be on Carnival.

My dh and I were to cruise on the Carnival Dream Oct 15, 2011. He passed away on October 5th. My adult daughters and I are planning to sail on the anniversary of his death and scatter his ashes. We can drive to the port. Does anyone know if we will have a problem getting on board with his cremains?

My dh and I were to cruise on the Carnival Dream Oct 15, 2011. He passed away on October 5th. My adult daughters and I are planning to sail on the anniversary of his death and scatter his ashes. We can drive to the port. Does anyone know if we will have a problem getting on board with his cremains?

My deepest sympathies on your loss.

Since you asked about Carnival, you would be better off asking on that board---not the HAL board---as Carnival's policy might be different.

When we were on the Solstice last year, Nancy and I were enjoying a quiet cocktail at the bar at the back of the ship, at a table by the railing. All of a sudden we were "showered" with ashes... it was horrible.

Apparently, a woman with her two grown children threw her husbands ashes overboard - either not realizing there was a graduated balcony below her, or not realizing the direction of the wind. We looked up at them, at first angry, but then quite sadly when we realized what they had done. Crying, while holding the urn...

We were quietly upset about it... not daring to say anything because it was CLEARLY not their intent... but, now we laugh at the story.

We were a mess!!!! I can't imagine what people thought as we were walking back to our rooms to clean up. It has become a terrific "Ship Happens" story!:)

When we were on the Solstice last year, Nancy and I were enjoying a quiet cocktail at the bar at the back of the ship, at a table by the railing. All of a sudden we were "showered" with ashes... it was horrible.

Apparently, a woman with her two grown children threw her husbands ashes overboard - either not realizing there was a graduated balcony below her, or not realizing the direction of the wind. We looked up at them, at first angry, but then quite sadly when we realized what they had done. Crying, while holding the urn...

We were quietly upset about it... not daring to say anything because it was CLEARLY not their intent... but, now we laugh at the story.

We were a mess!!!! I can't imagine what people thought as we were walking back to our rooms to clean up. It has become a terrific "Ship Happens" story!:)

Yikes! What an experience. So much for not throwing anything overboard...

Only Lebowski fans would understand this one.....:cool:

Archived