Liquor Taken!

proudmomma

Just ask RCL how much of a settlement they had to pay the young widow. He smuggled the booze fell off the balcony railing, she was too drunk to know he was missing until the next day, big payday. This is all a matter of record.

They only paid her $1.1 million dollars. She settled out of court because she did not want the case to go to trial. His parents tried getting that settlement overturned because they wanted a trial.

RCL is lucky that Hagel wanted to settle.

Sorry for going OFF TOPIC!

Sorry, I will probably get some angry posts back, but if people would stop trying to fool the system they would not have anything to complain about. If the rule is 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, which, by the way, is very generous and liberal, it is 2 bottles of wine per stateroon, not 2 bottles of snuck on vodka. It is people who try to sneak on extra booze that will ruin it for everyone.

If you smuggle booze and they confiscate it, you really can't complain that they went thru your stuff. You leave yourself open for that option. I am amazed at the "it is okay to smuggle against the policy of the ship because I spent a lot of money on booze anyway.", thinking. So I guess if you don't want your stuff gone thru, don't put booze in your water bottles..

Connie

I can't believe I forgot to share this.. My DH and I brought 2 bottles of smart water bottles filled with vodka. Mine went through, his got taken and replaced with an orange note, saying sorry, we took it. :eek: So it seems to be like a totally random check.

Oh and to all those who thinks this is breaking the rules.. Trust me, I know and I usually obey rules of all kinds, although.. We still spent $400 on liquor for 4 days.. so they didn't miss out on our $. :p

(Oh this was on the Celebrity Century Western Carribean)

I guess it's just me, but I didn't read the OP as "complaining". I thought they were just sharing their experience as an informative datapoint. YMMV. :)

Perhaps this question belongs elsewhere, but I know people hate it when posters start a new thread for every little question, and since this is an "alcohol" question, thought here is as good as any place.

First off, not planning on sneaking liquor in--I've ordered and paid for a bottle of scotch for the room through Celebrity-- but my daughter and I do want to take on our "legal" 2 bottles of wine. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of our cruise and taking a cab directly to the port (btw, is this the best way?); my question is this: is there a wine/liquor store at the port where we can purchase our wine or do we need to get the cab to stop somewhere before the port?

Also, does the size matter? We're hoping to be able to take the big bottles.

Has anyone successfully tried putting vodka or another spirit in a screw cap wine bottle and putting a foil cap on it.

Just wondering like, it's just that a friend of mine said he might try it, I in no way encourage such behavior

I plan on purchasing a liquor package, but wondered the same thing! ;)

The most accurate answer to that is the same as pretty much all the other alcohol related questions: "it depends." I have seen folks on this board say they brought a box of wine and it was confiscated because it was judged to be equivalent to 3 bottles. I've also seen people say they brought 2 magnums of champagne, no problem. Bottom line: who knows. If it really matters, keep them normal sized.

Perhaps this question belongs elsewhere, but I know people hate it when posters start a new thread for every little question, and since this is an "alcohol" question, thought here is as good as any place.

First off, not planning on sneaking liquor in--I've ordered and paid for a bottle of scotch for the room through Celebrity-- but my daughter and I do want to take on our "legal" 2 bottles of wine. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of our cruise and taking a cab directly to the port (btw, is this the best way?); my question is this: is there a wine/liquor store at the port where we can purchase our wine or do we need to get the cab to stop somewhere before the port?

Just wanted to answer your questions (from one Cincinnatian to another!) Yes... taking a cab from the airport is the best way to go... it's very close. Yes, you can stop on the way to the port and purchase your wine. Ask the cab to stop at "Total Wine".

I plan on purchasing a liquor package, but wondered the same thing! ;)

Actually, whilst not cheap, the liquor package represents good value compared to the bar price and I will probably go down that route for a little tipple late afternoon.

It's good for me as I drink Vodka but my wife likes Tia Maria which isn't offered as far as I can tell.

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the morning of our cruise and taking a cab directly to the port (btw, is this the best way?); my question is this: is there a wine/liquor store at the port where we can purchase our wine or do we need to get the cab to stop somewhere before the port?

Just be aware if you are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday morning to catch your cruise, the wine shops don't open up until Noon on Sunday for wine sales.

They only paid her $1.1 million dollars. She settled out of court because she did not want the case to go to trial. His parents tried getting that settlement overturned because they wanted a trial.

RCL is lucky that Hagel wanted to settle.

Sorry for going OFF TOPIC!

Amazing how much perspectives vary. She got "only" $1.1 million dollars after being irresponsible and negligent. Or what would you call being so drunk that she passed out in a public hallway and didn't realize her spouse was even missing until well into the next day [that's the good scenario, assuming she was not directly involved]. I don't think I'd want to be compelled to testify in court either under that situation [and not surprising that his parents wanted to hear her testimony]. Not that Mr. Smith sounded exactly blameless either. And I think it highly likely that RCI served them way too much. While maybe RCI deserves to pay out for their share of the blame, I don't think anyone involved deserved to collect given the major contributions of negligence by all involved. Sorry, but if a person gets so drunk that they contribute to their own demise, I'll spend my pity on more deserving candidates. And I don't believe in giving money to anyone involved.

Thom

All I want to know is who get all that confiscated booze.....:D I have heard about some wild parties the crew have :eek:

Joking aside.... To each his own I say... The cruise lines all know this is going on and if they really want to stop it completely they could. Whether they inforce the rules to the letter or whatever. they could total stop it. But seeings how they seem to only partly enforce the rules, people will continue to smuggle. And I believe it's NONE of my business.:D

but I do wonder if the ones that talk about obeying the rules ever speed.... hummmmmm :eek:

Just my 1 cent worth ( govt got the other 1 cent :mad:)

Well...I'm not going to stand up on a soapbox and say "the rules are the rules" but I AM going to say that if you break them, then be prepared for the consequences....you broke them...they took your booze...big deal....when I was going 45 in a 35 I had to pay a speeding ticket...did it make me happy? No. Did I know I was wrong....YES....

You took the chance...you lost....and hey, you only lost half of what you smuggled...so you did allright really!!!

Well...I'm not going to stand up on a soapbox and say "the rules are the rules" but I AM going to say that if you break them, then be prepared for the consequences....you broke them...they took your booze...big deal....when I was going 45 in a 35 I had to pay a speeding ticket...did it make me happy? No. Did I know I was wrong....YES....

You took the chance...you lost....and hey, you only lost half of what you smuggled...so you did allright really!!!

And I'm not complaining.. guys if you could read the original thread.. Not once did I complain, I am simply sharing information for someone who is interested in doing this themselves. Leave it at that. :p

And I'm not complaining.. guys if you could read the original thread.. Not once did I complain, I am simply sharing information for someone who is interested in doing this themselves. Leave it at that. :p

Some of us completely understood you the first time. ;):D

I fully understand the "their ship, their rules" thing. However, I do not believe they don't let you bring liqour on board for your own protection. Yes bar staff can monitor your consumption but......if they are worried about you drinking in your cabin then why do they offer "Stateroom Bar Set Up Service"? Is their a bartender watching you on your veranda? Lets face it.......it's a money thing.

I DID read the original message and I never said you were complaining...although you DID say your husband was upset about them going through his luggage in a later post.....which they have the right to do.....

OK, glad you weren't upset....you did indeed get away with HALF the crime anyway...so you did well...

I fully understand the "their ship, their rules" thing. Lets face it.......it's a money thing.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but "So what?" As you acknowledged, it's their ship and their rules and policies. It doesn't make a lick of difference what their reasons are, money, protection, whatever. When we booked with them and signed the cruise contract we agreed to their rules and we accepted them willingly. What their reasons are is none of our business, but respecting them should be since that is what we agreed to do.

Some who smuggle liquor on the ship, get totally wasted then fall overboard would probably be the first to sue the company. So they are protecting themselves against this type of thing.

If they're pouring, they can cut you off. From the Guest Alcohol Policy:

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age."

If a bartender observes a person that may be a danger to themselves or to others around them, they can deny them the booze, and have security get involved, if necessary. If someone overindulges in their room, then tries climbing down the side of the ship to the balcony of the stateroom below, Celebrity has no control over the situation.

I fully understand the "their ship, their rules" thing. However, I do not believe they don't let you bring liqour on board for your own protection. Yes bar staff can monitor your consumption but......if they are worried about you drinking in your cabin then why do they offer "Stateroom Bar Set Up Service"? Is their a bartender watching you on your veranda? Lets face it.......it's a money thing.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but "So what?" As you acknowledged, it's their ship and their rules and policies. It doesn't make a lick of difference what their reasons are, money, protection, whatever. When we booked with them and signed the cruise contract we agreed to their rules and we accepted them willingly. What their reasons are is none of our business, but respecting them should be since that is what we agreed to do.

In response to some of these earlier posts, saratogas "so what" is apparent.

I'm just wondering how the cruise lines are still in business.

All the complaints are that the cruise lines won't make any money if people smuggle booze on, yet, people have been doing it forever, cruises are dirt cheap, and still the companies are turning profits, yes, they would make MORE money if people only bought drinks from them, but you know what, my vacation plans do not include making MORE money large corporations.

I would stay home!!!!!!!!!!! That will teach them a lesson for sure.........

that's why we cruise on Princess....... no naughty rooms!!!! Have always taken wine, beer and hard stuff on with us. We like to have drinks either on our balcony or in cabin while getting ready for dinner. We also like to have cocktail parties with our friends before dinner in each others cabins. Oh, and our bills are still high at the end of the cruise!!!

I'm just wondering how the cruise lines are still in business.

All the complaints are that the cruise lines won't make any money if people smuggle booze on, yet, people have been doing it forever, cruises are dirt cheap, and still the companies are turning profits, yes, they would make MORE money if people only bought drinks from them, but you know what, my vacation plans do not include making MORE money large corporations.

I think people just refuse to separate what they want and what they are entitled to!

I too, don't lose any sleep over the profits of the cruise lines. That's their problem. We agree to the rules when we sign the cruise contract. The rules concerning outside liquor are there to help them make money, among other secondary reasons. If you wan to play the cat and mouse games, it's your choice. They search bags because they can see a bottle of something in the scan. I guess you might pack a bottle of water.

Drinks are a big part of the bottom line. Just skip cocktails the next time you go out to your favorite restaurant. You will save a bundle. (Unless you smuggle in a bottle!)

I'm sure the cruise lines would like to be able to deny boarding to violators but this is a PR nightmare. So is turning way dress code violators from the dining room and removing the belongings of chair hogs.

Archived