Identity Theft at Ports

maf07

We sailed from Galveston from March 7th - 14th to Roatan, Honduras, Costa Maya, Mexico, and Cozumel, Mexico.

My mother-in-law used her credit card to buy some souvenirs in Costa Maya, Mexico and her credit card number was stolen and they managed to charge $1000.00 in Panama somewhere.

Just a warning to others to use cash only at ports when buying souvenirs, especially in Costa Maya. I'm not sure how common this is, but wanted others to be aware.

I used cash and never had any problems.

We sailed from Galveston from March 7th - 14th to Roatan, Honduras, Costa Maya, Mexico, and Cozumel, Mexico.

My mother-in-law used her credit card to buy some souvenirs in Costa Maya, Mexico and her credit card number was stolen and they managed to charge $1000.00 in Panama somewhere.

Just a warning to others to use cash only at ports when buying souvenirs, especially in Costa Maya. I'm not sure how common this is, but wanted others to be aware.

Getting an unauthorized charge on your bill is not identity theft

Did she scratch out her CC number on the copy of the receipt that the store keeps? This is not routinely done in Mexico and most cashiers will frown upon it being done. Some will even yell at you! But DO IT! In the occasional case that a store hasn't let me do this, I've politely asked that the purchase be voided and walked out. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CC NUMBER AT A STORE IN MEXICO!!!

We never take our Credit Card into any ports we cruise to. It stays locked up in the safe. We always take Travelers Cheques. When going into port I stop by the ships bank and cash a few Travelers Cheques. We also use Travelers Checks in the ports. No problem.

How long did it take for your credit card company to give you your money back? Also I noticed someone said to cross out your credit card number. A printed receipt should only have the last 4 digits of your card number. Anything more is against the card rules.

Wow, that really stinks having that happen. I wasn't even thinking about this, but now we will only use cash or travelers checks in ports from now on. Thanks for the heads up! Hope your MIL get this all sorted out soon.

Don't seem to have an edit button at the moment!

Should have read:

Happened to me in a 4 star Hotel in the UK, it can happen anywhere.

We stayed at a 4 star hotel shortly before a cruise, during the cruise, 2 purchases for sports equipment were made in Ney York. We did not find out until we got back, money was refunded within 3 days by the bank.

In the UK the customers ticket only has the last 4 numbers, but the merchant copy has the full number, but this may be different elsewhere.

It can happen anywhere - Mexico's no worse than anywhere else. Mine was skimmed at a top hotel in Maui years ago. Just a bit of a hassle but Visa sorted it promptly. I prefer to use my credit card rather than carry cash around.

How long did it take for your credit card company to give you your money back? Also I noticed someone said to cross out your credit card number. A printed receipt should only have the last 4 digits of your card number. Anything more is against the card rules.

In the US maybe, but not in Mexico, a lot of the stores there still use the carbon swipe machines

Steponboard - Read my post carefully, this happened to my mother-in-law, not me!

As I stated before, I used cash!

Sorry. Right now there is a US advisory out to NOT go to Mexico so yes, it is worse then other places IMHO. I am booked on 2 Mexican Riviera cruises and plan to enjoy them both and not go further then the dock in all 3 ports. I will enjoy the cruise for what it has to offer and not the destination which is a real compromise for me but 8 our friends want to do it and we'll go along to get along:D

Sorry. Right now there is a US advisory out to NOT go to Mexico so yes, it is worse then other places IMHO. I am booked on 2 Mexican Riviera cruises and plan to enjoy them both and not go further then the dock in all 3 ports. I will enjoy the cruise for what it has to offer and not the destination which is a real compromise for me but 8 our friends want to do it and we'll go along to get along:D

There is no reason to limit yourself to the area around the docks....this will provide you no protection from the theft of a card number if you use one off the ship. Just make sure your credit card company knows where you are traveling and if a charge comes in from someplace else, they'll reject it - no harm no foul:) I do this every time we travel - inside the US our outside and it's saved me a few times (once while in Mexico charges started coming in from another country so my cc company just declined them). Also, make sure you use a real credit card...not a debit card:eek: The resolution process is different. I personally prefer to use AMEX when traveling out of the country because they have the easiest (and best, in my opinion) resolution dept. I've ever had to work with:) Go on the trip, take reasonable precautions and enjoy yourself;)

Sorry to hear about the problem. I used to travel all over the US in my job. I had my CC number stolen and misused twice in the US. By federal law, you are not obligated to pay the CC company for any unauthorized charges. What happens is that the CC issuer will disallow the charge by those merchants and they will be out the money - not the CC issuer or you. No actual money changed hands from the card holder or the issuer. Always be careful when using your CC and do not leave the signed part behind for someone to find. It can happen in Mexico or it can happen in your home city. Their are crooks everywhere looking for the opportunity to steal.

Using a CC instead of a cash card has more federal safeguards and no money changes hands until the monthly bill is presented and the user pays the undisputed amount. Disputed amounts are held in abeyance until the dispute is resolved. No interest is charged and the usual grace period is put into effect when the dispute is resolved.

Travel in Mexican port cities such as Cozumel, PV, Mazatlan, etc, is safe as long as you use the usual measures you would use in any US large city. What is not safe and is being warned against is travel to the US/Mexican border cities such as Ciudad Juarez, Brownsville, Tijuana, etc. The reason they are not safe is the drug cartels who are in business to ship drugs to the US market bringing a lot of money to them. The real problem is the use of illegal drugs by US citizens and their willingness to pay top dollar to get them. It is all about money!

I always carry two credit cards on vacation, chances that both are compromised and taken over the credit line are slim.

It's certainly good to have some caution. But no matter what you do the merchant has your credit card number and expiration date. The card is the property of the bank, beyond reporting a lost card and unauthorized charges it's not your problem. I'm sorry, but crossing out the account number on a machine printed receipt is a complete waste of time and energy.

Why is everyone so paranoid about their credit card number? You have ZERO liability for unauthorized charges (USA customers). It's a small hassle but a card is safer and many have purchase protection for defective goods. I'm not paying extra for travelers checks when I can get airline miles and RCI points on my card. :cool:

Did she scratch out her CC number on the copy of the receipt that the store keeps? This is not routinely done in Mexico and most cashiers will frown upon it being done. Some will even yell at you! But DO IT! In the occasional case that a store hasn't let me do this, I've politely asked that the purchase be voided and walked out. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CC NUMBER AT A STORE IN MEXICO!!!

Here in the US the number is not printed on the receipt so I never would have thought to do that.

Thank you.

Denise

I’ve never had a problem with my Credit Card being compromised. I just refuse to use it in a foreign country. Just me. I agree as others have pointed out your Credit Card number could be compromised in the good ole’ USA including your own home town. I pay nothing for Travelers Cheques and never had issues cashing them or buying merchandise with them no matter where we travel.

There is almost always an advisory out to not go to Mexico. It's a big country and there is usually unrest somewhere in it. Have you ever read the advisories that foreigners get about the US? They are pretty scary, especially if you compare them to the ones out about Mexico, which BTW warn predominantly about northern Mexico and US/Mexico border areas.

Umm, hate to break the news to you, but the merchant needs your CC number in order to charge you. The merchant will have a copy of your CC number, and if you scratch it out, you just stole from the merchant.

Meh, happens everywhere. I spent over a month studying in a non-tourist area of Mexico. I used my credit card as needed and never had any issues. The only time I've ever had problems was when I shopped at a large electronics store - in my home city in Canada!

I

Why is everyone so paranoid about their credit card number? You have ZERO liability for unauthorized charges (USA customers). It's a small hassle but a card is safer and many have purchase protection for defective goods. I'm not paying extra for travelers checks when I can get airline miles and RCI points on my card. :cool:

I agree. I generally will pay cash for anything under $100 (I usually only take about $150 ashore with me) and use a credit card for stuff over $100. This rule applies to any port we visit.

Of course, you have to do what makes you feel comfortable but, IMHO, by sticking around the port, you are depriving yourself of the opportunity to share in the friendliness and hospitality of the Mexican people. We always make a point of getting away from the port and, in some cases, the city, and spending some time with the locals. As when visiting any port (or U.S. city), you just have to use some common sense. The only places we avoid in Mexico are the boarder towns.

Archived