Repo cruises?

suzyed

What sort of repo cruises are you referring to?

There's Pacific Coastal repo cruises that usually start in San Diego or LA and end in Vancouver. These run in April, May, September and October.

There's also East Coast repo cruises that take ships from Quebec or New York down to Florida after the Canada/New England season - these are usually in late October.

There's also a variety of repo cruises at various times of the year to Hawaii, the Caribbean, and of course, Transatlantics.

Any and all! Hubby wants to do one...but I don't know how you can search for a specific cruises without just reading them all...too time consuming...thought maybe someone has one booked and they can share info.

We were looking at the Vancouver to LA one last year, but we weren't able to squeeze it in.

To find repo's, look for ships that spend part of the year in an area then move to another part of the world. Examples would be ships in Alaska fo rthe summer and then moving for the US winter. Ships in Europe for the summer. Ships in South America for US winter, etc.

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess 7 day repostioning cruise on May 2nd from San Juan to New York with ports of St Thomas, Antigua and Bermuda. If you are able to go on relatively short notice I understand they are having a big sale on new bookings.

If you don't have time to search for the right cruise do you really have time to actually take the cruise? I suggest you talk with a travel agent or other person who books cruises, even a booking agent like Vacations to Go, cruise divisions of airlines, etc., etc. Or phone some cruise lines directly. And be clear as to why you want a repo cruise; there may be many others that could fit your needs. I know people who have taken two repositioning cruises with Princess (Valparaiso to Seattle, and Rio to Ft. Lauderdale), and see Princess has one in December (Italy to Brazil), but others also have them. You can save money on a per-day costing, but have to take into account the one-way airfare often required.

Very good point about length of cruises. Friends are on an 18-day repo cruise from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale, but I've seen others rangin from 16 to over 30 days. Sometimes there's more than one embarkation point. The folks who are taking the Rio-Ft. Lauderdale repo cruise boarded in Rio, but could have started their cruise in Buenos Aires, at a higher price. The people we know who went from Valparaiso to Seattle actually boarded in Buenos Aires-- really took two cruises: BA to Valparaiso, which was not a repo cruise, then continued to Seattle on the repo part. Lots of options. A booking agent or, better yet, TA should be able to help. (I have to admit when I first saw "repo" I thought of it in terms of respossession-- as in the film "Repo Man").

LOVE repo. cruises................they are usually not packed because they can be longer (the ones we choose)...............:)

We had an 18 day one that began on Nov. 1st from Barcelona to Galveston once (with port stops in Rome, Florence, Marseilles, Genoa, etc before starting across).

The Atlantic was smooth as glass and it was warmer and warmer; we wore shorts on deck all across. Maybe it was an unusual year but it was wonderful (and only $903.)

We often do the fall repo. when the ships are leaving Alaska.......down the coast, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc. and then through the Canal.........already booked it for this year.

I just received a notice from a company online and called because it had $250. OBC and free airfare back to Seattle.

As I said..............we love the repos.

They ARE listed in the cruiseline brochures, but you can get MUCH better deals from online TAs and online notifications.

GOOD LUCK!;)

A lot of the ships currently in the Carribean will be repositioning to the Med. soon. These generally are 14 - 18 days. There a lot of sea days. I'm taking a 14 day Princess from Ft. Laud to Rome My 1. In Oct/Nov the ships will head back.

Through the winter some cruise ships cruise around the southern parts of South America. To get there ships will reosition south bound late Nov and head back north in late March. These are usually to/from LA or Florida.

I like these cruise because you go to ports that normally do not get a lot of cruise ships and the cruises generally are cheaper than average on a per day basis.

Wayne S.

:cool:Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas 13 nights from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale. This year will be our 3rd and we love it. On RC site you can find it under repo cruises in the search box. This year we leave on Oct. 30 :cool:

There are many trans-Atlantic repositionings - usually eastbound to Europe in April or May and westbound in October and November. North Atlantic weather is coolest in April, so prices are generally lowest on those sailings -- but as a rule, all offer pretty good per-day costs. We have a westbound, verandah, 18 days, Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in October at $1,690 per.

When I first read the title of this post, I was thinking repo as in a cruise that had be repossessed! Guess that word flies around the news a lot these days.

Ditto :)

I had visions of a bailiff's warrant being nailed to the mast :eek:

JB

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess 7 day repostioning cruise on May 2nd from San Juan to New York with ports of St Thomas, Antigua and Bermuda. If you are able to go on relatively short notice I understand they are having a big sale on new bookings.

Wow! Thanks Doug, that sounds like a great cruise! I may be having surgery on my ankle shortly, but I am going to look into that one!

Keep the suggestions coming, guys! Thanks!:D

Very good point about length of cruises. Friends are on an 18-day repo cruise from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale, but I've seen others rangin from 16 to over 30 days. Sometimes there's more than one embarkation point. The folks who are taking the Rio-Ft. Lauderdale repo cruise boarded in Rio, but could have started their cruise in Buenos Aires, at a higher price. The people we know who went from Valparaiso to Seattle actually boarded in Buenos Aires-- really took two cruises: BA to Valparaiso, which was not a repo cruise, then continued to Seattle on the repo part. Lots of options. A booking agent or, better yet, TA should be able to help. (I have to admit when I first saw "repo" I thought of it in terms of respossession-- as in the film "Repo Man").[/quote]

LOL! I know there are some good deals on the repo cruises...looking for one in the 7-10 range.

I have a neice who works for a travel agency, so I am sure she can find me some...but I was looking for some other posters past experiences or repos that they have booked!

Thanks again guys!

LOVE repo. cruises................they are usually not packed because they can be longer (the ones we choose)...............:)

We had an 18 day one that began on Nov. 1st from Barcelona to Galveston once (with port stops in Rome, Florence, Marseilles, Genoa, etc before starting across).

The Atlantic was smooth as glass and it was warmer and warmer; we wore shorts on deck all across. Maybe it was an unusual year but it was wonderful (and only $903.)

We often do the fall repo. when the ships are leaving Alaska.......down the coast, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc. and then through the Canal.........already booked it for this year.

I just received a notice from a company online and called because it had $250. OBC and free airfare back to Seattle.

As I said..............we love the repos.

They ARE listed in the cruiseline brochures, but you can get MUCH better deals from online TAs and online notifications.

GOOD LUCK!;)

Thanks...so very good info! The one from Barcelona sounds wonderful!

How long is the one you have booked through the Canal? When does it sail...this one sounds like one my DH would love!

When I first read the title of this post, I was thinking repo as in a cruise that had be repossessed! Guess that word flies around the news a lot these days.

Ha ha! It sure does!! There's even a tv show on now about guys that repo cars!

Thanks...so very good info! The one from Barcelona sounds wonderful!

How long is the one you have booked through the Canal? When does it sail...this one sounds like one my DH would love!

We are on the Norwegian Pearl, April 10-24, Miami to LA, thru the canal and lots of good ports.

Archived