New Ships

cruisin36

I find it interesting how few posts are positive or upbeat about the new ships. They haven't been designed yet folks are focusing on potential negatives. So there are no positive rumors? Like more space per passenger- one post.

Great architecture?

Tasteful decorations?

New Features?

I may get slammed, but are so many of you so afraid of new or different things?

Some of you don't like the bigger ships- that's ok- The smaller ones are still sailing and they too get upgrades.

Let's be positive.

What little I know about the new ships, I don''t like. I like small ships. It is very unlikely that I will ever go on either of these two new ships.

Just to show what I think may be a possibility in a new build, I did this rough sketch. It's not very detailed, but you should be able to notice the Carnival Dream hull with its lifeboat configuration and angled cove balconies, as well as the traditional Princess bow and stern.

I have noticed that I have butchered the angle of the bow, but I think you all still get the picture.

CopyofScan_Pic0039.jpg

We love the promenade deck too. Hope Princess keeps it and even expands it to be wider and with louge chairs like HAL has, this would be the best.

We were on the Celebrity Equinox in October, Celebrity keep the promenade but made it very narrow and had the life boats hung so low that there was no view. We walked it only once, not the same.

Cruise lines ned to keep some of the basics cruisers really love.

I agree the "Grand" design is nothing great. Really miss not having a lounge room at the top of the ship. The lounge at the back, "disco" never lived up to the joys of the lounge at the front in my opinion.

Lounges/bars throughout on the promenade deck, with no view to the sea do not appeal to me at all.

I find it interesting how few posts are positive or upbeat about the new ships. They haven't been designed yet folks are focusing on potential negatives. So there are no positive rumors? Like more space per passenger- one post.

Great architecture?

Tasteful decorations?

New Features?

I may get slammed, but are so many of you so afraid of new or different things?

Some of you don't like the bigger ships- that's ok- The smaller ones are still sailing and they too get upgrades.

Let's be positive.

I'm positive I won't be happy w/o a promenade deck.....:):):)

Bob

Just to show what I think may be a possibility in a new build, I did this rough sketch. It's not very detailed, but you should be able to notice the Carnival Dream hull with its lifeboat configuration and angled cove balconies, as well as the traditional Princess bow and stern.

I have noticed that I have butchered the angle of the bow, but I think you all still get the picture.

CopyofScan_Pic0039.jpg

Nice drawing, but the Carnival dream Hull will not be part of the package.

Mickey Arison saved a a great deal of money by using a cookie cutter hull design for an entire class of Carnival ships, all the newer HAL ships, and Cunard's Queen Victoria.

He is doing the same thing again with the new Princess Ships on order.

They will spread the R&D costs for the new hull design over the entire Carnival Brands Fleet.

In future, most new Carnival Corp ships will be built on this new platform designed for Princess.

I had the chance to sit in on some of the corporate design meetings. Every other question asked at the meeting was, "So how did Celebrity do it on their new ships?

I'm positive I won't be happy w/o a promenade deck.....:):):)

Bob

Bob,

The cruise line execs already know that you and a certain percentage of other cruisers will not be happy about the new ship design without a promenade deck.

They also know that most of you will still sail on those ships - happy or not -if the price is right.

They further know that they will make even more profit than ever with these new cost-effective vessels in service.

As usual, it's all about the money - for passengers AND cruise line companies.

CopyofScan_Pic0039.jpg

Aside from the missing Promenade deck and larger lifeboats that hang outside the ship's profile, the new Princess ships will look remarkably like the existing ones - just a bit wider and longer - but no taller.

The most visible change will be in the atrium. They are going to stretch it over 2 fire

zones, effectively doubling the size of this revenue-generating space.

I'd really hoped that Mitsubishi Heavy was going to get a chance at more ships - despite Sapphire and Diamond being evolutions of the Grand class, there are some unique features and passenger flows that make them just feel...better...somehow.

The reality is, people are lining up and handing over good money to sail on NCL Epic, with one of the worst space ratios since the original Carnivale. Maybe with a bunch of balconies, you just don't need as much deck and public space for some itineraries? I'm not sure I buy the ship-as-destination thing just yet, though.

E

Mickey Arison saved a a great deal of money by using a cookie cutter hull design for an entire class of Carnival ships, all the newer HAL ships, and Cunard's Queen Victoria.

They will spread the R&D costs for the new hull design over the entire Carnival Brands Fleet.

In future, most new Carnival Corp ships will be built on this new platform designed for Princess.

I had the chance to sit in on some of the corporate design meetings. Every other question asked at the meeting was, "So how did Celebrity do it on their new ships?

That makes sense from a corporate sense. But why the Princess design being the template going forward, when the Dream design only consists of 2 ships?

It is refreshing to read the latest logical postings that explain the rationale behind the design criteria used in development of a new Princess (Carnival) platform.

To invest $750,000,000 (3/4 of a billion dollars), the approximate cost of just the initial build of a new ship today, requires extraordinary business accumen. Thus far the Carnival management team have called the right shots and the corporation is doing well.

We sail Princess and invest in Carnival Corporation because we believe in their product. Their management provides great value, interesting itineraries, well run ships, and excellent sailing experiences.

What ever the final design of the new ships, a fantastic amount of effort will have gone into making them competetive in a tough cruising market.

Economy of scale drives the necessity to build large ships. The smaller ships attract a niche market and do not provide the major return to the corporation.

The cruise business is a multi-billion dollar business. We are consumers of that business. That you are posting on the Princess board indicates that you probably have been a consumer of their products in the past and may venture to use them in the future, if the line continues to meet your needs. If it does not, you will take your dollars somewhere else.

Carnival Corporation is a public company traded on the stock exchange. Its owners are folks just like you and me. Corporate management answers to the stockholders and makes its decisions based on what it deems will keep berths filled and return a profit to the company. That in simple terms means that they must make decisions that make most cruisers happy they choose the brand and return to sail again.

P&J

I love the idea that the Piazza as a concept is going to be expanded greatly in the new design, that is a positive for me for sure as that is currently my favourite place to be on the new ships.

Ah, I see. I suppose I worded my original post incorrectly. It was basically the Princess hull with the Dream's lifeboat configuration.

Do you know if the new platform is an evolution of what Princess currently has (specifically the Grand class bow design) or something new, which looks more universally Carnival Corp?

Aside from the missing Promenade deck and larger lifeboats that hang outside the ship's profile, the new Princess ships will look remarkably like the existing ones - just a bit wider and longer - but no taller.

The most visible change will be in the atrium. They are going to stretch it over 2 fire

zones, effectively doubling the size of this revenue-generating space.

Sounds good to me, the atrium needs some more space. I thought it felt cramped. G

lad they wont be gaining any height, since the current Grand class looks better with a lower profile (something that was not in the quick sketch I did).

Ah, I see. I suppose I worded my original post incorrectly. It was basically the Princess hull with the Dream's lifeboat configuration.

Do you know if the new platform is an evolution of what Princess currently has (specifically the Grand class bow design) or something new, which looks more universally Carnival Corp?

Sounds good to me, the atrium needs some more space. I thought it felt cramped. G

lad they wont be gaining any height, since the current Grand class looks better with a lower profile (something that was not in the quick sketch I did).

I haven't yet seen the final, final plans, but it appears that the new design will have one deck less than the current Grand Class ships.

No jogging deck?

I'm guessing these are the two ships that were discussed about a month or so ago.

Yes, there will probably still be a jogging track on one of the top most decks, but no Promenade Deck. You're not allowed to jog on the Promenade Deck...it's for "promenading". ;)

Rumor has confirmed that the Promenade, as we know it, will not be on the new ships... bummer.

Also, there will be a new funnel design. And the aft section of the ship will be completely different. It'll slope like the Carnival Dream or Celebrity's Solstice-class...no more private aft balconies... you'll be able to look down on the ones below you...

I haven't yet seen the final, final plans, but it appears that the new design will have one deck less than the current Grand Class ships.

When you say the current Grand class, are you referring to the CB and sisters with the Riviera Deck? So, essentially, we would be looking at the Grand Princess, and coming up with a nice way to add 30,000 tons and 500 cabins to that? I can't imagine how much longer and wider the ship would have to be LOL. I wonder if we might see a change in the layout of inside cabins, with there being 3 or 4 across the ship instead of typically 2.

From the sounds of it, it will be a very new and interesting design from the tidbits rumoured so far. They did say an agreement would be signed by the end of April. I wonder how much more information will be revealed then? I wasn't around in the past when a brand new design was announced. Do they reveal much at the time of signing? You'd think that Princess would want to get people excited about their newbuild especially since they have had nothing new since the Ruby and she wasn't a brand new design.

When you say the current Grand class, are you referring to the CB and sisters with the Riviera Deck? So, essentially, we would be looking at the Grand Princess, and coming up with a nice way to add 30,000 tons and 500 cabins to that? I can't imagine how much longer and wider the ship would have to be LOL. I wonder if we might see a change in the layout of inside cabins, with there being 3 or 4 across the ship instead of typically 2.

If I recall correctly the Capt said the ship would be wider (I think he said 130 feet or more) and longer than the current Ruby design.

I'd really hoped that Mitsubishi Heavy was going to get a chance at more ships - despite Sapphire and Diamond being evolutions of the Grand class, there are some unique features and passenger flows that make them just feel...better...somehow.

The reality is, people are lining up and handing over good money to sail on NCL Epic, with one of the worst space ratios since the original Carnivale. Maybe with a bunch of balconies, you just don't need as much deck and public space for some itineraries? I'm not sure I buy the ship-as-destination thing just yet, though.

E

Why would where a ship is built have any effect on the design? They only build what the architect designs...its not like the shipyard makes changes based on their own ideas.....The Sapphire and Diamond could have been built in BFE and would still look exactly as they do now.......the ONLY difference in shipyards could be the quality of the build itself...

From the sounds of it, it will be a very new and interesting design from the tidbits rumoured so far. They did say an agreement would be signed by the end of April. I wonder how much more information will be revealed then? I wasn't around in the past when a brand new design was announced. Do they reveal much at the time of signing? You'd think that Princess would want to get people excited about their newbuild especially since they have had nothing new since the Ruby and she wasn't a brand new design.

Well, they'll have a couple of years to fashion a PR campaign for the new ships...

Archived