spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

We are flying spirit on our upcoming cruise next month. It was the ONLY airlines that fit the time frames we needed to get to FLL out of Chicago. So unfortunately we really had no choice than to pay for our bags. I also am picky about my seat so we did book those as well and of course were charged. It's a shame there are so many charges for every little thing but sometimes you are in a pinch and have no choice than to use that airlines. I would've much rather flown on southwest but there were no flights that fit our time frame. Such is life.

At $81 / barrel for oil now........fuel costs are killing the airlines. And......it costs the airline just as much to fly 50 lbs of your luggage as it costs to fly 50 lbs of you.

If oil costs remain high.........expect the cost of flying to go up.....whether it is with increased fares........or nickle / dimes for your luggage.

At $81 / barrel for oil now........fuel costs are killing the airlines. And......it costs the airline just as much to fly 50 lbs of your luggage as it costs to fly 50 lbs of you.

If oil costs remain high.........expect the cost of flying to go up.....whether it is with increased fares........or nickle / dimes for your luggage.

Huh? $81/barrel is high? :confused: How about $120/barrel about two years ago. THAT was high.

"High oil prices" is the smokescreen the airlines use for their losses. Just like high employee wages. Just like high travel agent commissions. Just like 9/11. Employee wages were slashed in bankruptcy by many airlines. Travel agent commissions were slashed over 10 years ago. 9/11 happened almost 9 years ago. All smokescreens for poorly run businesses.

I'm all for the airlines eliminating the big, bulky baggage that has found its way into the cabin (notice how no one did that when luggage was free...?), but my concern is that fine line between not charging for things like laptop bags and purses, and an outright cash-grab.

If it fits under the seat it is free.

I have to agree with those who stated the airlines created their own monster. Once passengers were charged for checked luggage, the carry on's grew tremendously. On our last few flights, my husband and I were unable to carry on our 1 legal carry on because there was no longer any room in the bins. The bag was taken and checked for free because of this - since I don't check valuables, I had to take the time to remove several items and put them in my purse. If Spirit thinks they are going to keep or gain any customers with this new charge they are sadly mistaken. I will avoid flying with any airline that implements this fee. Its bad enough you have to pay for checked luggage. Once they all begin this process, we will fly less and drive more. Very sad. :(

We have flown many times since the airlines (or most of them) implemented the checked luggage fees. It has gotten out of control. People wheeling one and two bags on board and carrying a large oversized purse or briefcase as well. That is not fair to the other passengers.

First, it takes forever to finish the boarding process. I get bored out of my mind watching the flight attendents trying to stuff peoples things in the bins and then having to tag them for checking because there is no more room. People are bringing on bags they can barely lift or not lift at all up to the overhead bins. How many of us have ducked or held our hands up to keep from having our heads hit with someones luggage?

The overhead bins are for storing personal items, an overnight bag (does anyone know what that is anymore?), jackets, etc. Purses and briefcases should be stored uder the seat in front of you. Bringing on two suitcases and a large oversized personal item is not what the airlines had in mind for "carry ons".

The Airlines, like the cruiselines, should just charge for the price of the ticket what they need to charge to cover expenses and make a profit for shareholders. Nickle and diming infuriates customers. Both the airlines and cruiselines are doing this to excess now so they can advertise low fares to get people to book in the first place.

When I fly, it is for personal reasons, usually a vacation, not business. I check my bag and bring my purse and a book or magazine and a botttle of water and usually a sandwich on board. Other than when I travel to Europe, I never use the overhead bins.

Business people who are traveling for a day or two should be able to bring their overnight sized bags on board and use the bins. Now we have business people having to have their bags checked because when they get on board the overhead bins are full of peoples actual luggage, which should be checked.

This is not good for the airlines or the business traveler. It certainly is not good for the vacation traveler who has to sit and wait for their departure while people are attempting to stuff their oversized luggage in an overhead bin.

People abusing the carry on rules have enabled the airlines to create a new fee out of necessity. Once that fee is implemented it won't go away.

We as customers usually get what we deserve. It really is too bad. If a plane ticket should cost $300 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $300 for the plane ticket. If a cruise fare should cost $1,000 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $1,000. The nickle and diming is what aggravates people.

And if there are customers who cannot afford the $300 plane fare or the $1,000 cruise fare, then they should make alternative arrangements for transportation and vacations.

NASA EXTENDS CONTRACT WITH RUSSIAN FEDERAL SPACE AGENCY

WASHINGTON -- NASA has signed a $335 million modification to the current International Space Station contract with the Russian Federal Space Agency for crew transportation, rescue and related services in 2013 and 2014.

Under the contract modification, the Soyuz flights will carry limited cargo associated with crew transportation to and from the station, and disposal of trash. The cargo allowed per person is approximately 110 pounds (50 kilograms) launched to the station, approximately 37 pounds (17 kilograms) returned to Earth, and trash disposal of approximately 66 pounds (30 kilograms).

All airlines state carry on is 22x14x9. They even have a metal structure to put your suitcase into to see if it fits, if not you check it. Time for them to use it! 1 personal & 1 luggage to carry on per person is permitted.

So it will fit under the seat since this is the true carry on size.

We have flown many times since the airlines (or most of them) implemented the checked luggage fees. It has gotten out of control. People wheeling one and two bags on board and carrying a large oversized purse or briefcase as well. That is not fair to the other passengers.

First, it takes forever to finish the boarding process. I get bored out of my mind watching the flight attendents trying to stuff peoples things in the bins and then having to tag them for checking because there is no more room. People are bringing on bags they can barely lift or not lift at all up to the overhead bins. How many of us have ducked or held our hands up to keep from having our heads hit with someones luggage?

The overhead bins are for storing personal items, an overnight bag (does anyone know what that is anymore?), jackets, etc. Purses and briefcases should be stored uder the seat in front of you. Bringing on two suitcases and a large oversized personal item is not what the airlines had in mind for "carry ons".

The Airlines, like the cruiselines, should just charge for the price of the ticket what they need to charge to cover expenses and make a profit for shareholders. Nickle and diming infuriates customers. Both the airlines and cruiselines are doing this to excess now so they can advertise low fares to get people to book in the first place.

When I fly, it is for personal reasons, usually a vacation, not business. I check my bag and bring my purse and a book or magazine and a botttle of water and usually a sandwich on board. Other than when I travel to Europe, I never use the overhead bins.

Business people who are traveling for a day or two should be able to bring their overnight sized bags on board and use the bins. Now we have business people having to have their bags checked because when they get on board the overhead bins are full of peoples actual luggage, which should be checked.

This is not good for the airlines or the business traveler. It certainly is not good for the vacation traveler who has to sit and wait for their departure while people are attempting to stuff their oversized luggage in an overhead bin.

People abusing the carry on rules have enabled the airlines to create a new fee out of necessity. Once that fee is implemented it won't go away.

We as customers usually get what we deserve. It really is too bad. If a plane ticket should cost $300 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $300 for the plane ticket. If a cruise fare should cost $1,000 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $1,000. The nickle and diming is what aggravates people.

And if there are customers who cannot afford the $300 plane fare or the $1,000 cruise fare, then they should make alternative arrangements for transportation and vacations.[/quote]

I would definately agree with here, however, unfortunately there are far less passengers who would really be able to afford to buy a ticket, Especially on cruise lines. People have said include the better food in my fare, give us free soda, quit nickel and diming us, but the mass market lines like RCL, CCL, NCL would not be filling 3-4 thousand person ships. The cruise passenger, and now even the airline passenger is the guy who can barely pay the fare, roll on his cooler with his water and soda, have his smuggled alcohol and away we go. The pax who can afford a better cabin, better food , drink packages, etc, can still do his way as well. Having these choices are good, as this is how they fill cabins and planes. In some cases it may cheapen the experience for some, but this is how it has evolved.

If deregulation had never happened with the airlines, we would be paying over $1000 for that $300 ticket from NY to LA, no shopping needed, as all airlines would have the same fare, have nice meals, snacks, free drinks, more leg room , and no dealing with JimBob and the family carrying everything they own from their trailer just so they can go on vacation.

Well, time to get my rear out of this hotel room, and get ready for another wonderful day of flying.

I fly on spirit all the time. They already charge to check all luggage. Also, they charge to pick your seats ahead of time, or the computer picks them for you. Enough already... Not much fits under the seat, maybe a small purse, tote bag.

Fly Southwest whenever you can.

It was only a matter of time before this happened. Keep the carry on small.. There will be people still trying to get away with the oversized carry on. I can not wait to see what the airlines do for that (finally) It is annoying to have to wait for that person who is stuffing bags all over the plane. At least I will be able to have my carry on close at hand and not in the back of the plane cause of all the oversized carryons!!

We don't get charged for check in luggage or carry on on Qantas in OZ. A few of the cheaper ones do though. We won't fly them because once you add on the cost of all the extras including the food, it is no cheaper.

We were just in your country for a month and had the joy of flying on Southwest and Delta. Couldn't believe how much carry on luggage people were allowed to take. Being ignorant of your boarding etiquette we held back and let the other passengers board (after all what was the urgency). We found out - our carry on luggage had to be checked in because all the overhead bins were full! Not happy!! Our carry on luggage held all our valuables. This was with Southwest. We learnt and became temporary americans and stood up before we were told and got in the way of people getting off the flight and rushed on as soon as we could and put our carry on luggage in the overhead bins first. :eek:

Delta was much more civilised. You just had to make sure you were either A or B as if you were in the C's - tough! Still had to pay for food though.

Oh, I hope it never gets like that here. But it probably will, the airlines seem to follow the example of the American airlines. And if they think they will get away with it, they will. :mad:

Here is another piece of trivia.

We flew from London Heathrow to Glasgow in 2006. As we were about to taxi the pilot told us there would be a slight delay.

On came the Pussycat Dolls and their management with the BIGGEST hand luggage ever. They were almost like trunks. There was no way they were the proper size, even back then.

At that time we didn`t have a clue who they were, only that they were attractive girls who were not at all perturbed about holding up the plane.

All airlines state carry on is 22x14x9. They even have a metal structure to put your suitcase into to see if it fits, if not you check it. Time for them to use it! 1 personal & 1 luggage to carry on per person is permitted.

This is from the Spirit Airlines website and the announcement of the fees:

Spirit Airlines Bag Fees

(available for purchase by July 1, 2010, for travel August 1, 2010 and beyond):

personal_item_en.gif

excluded_item_en.gif

carry_on_item_en.gif

Living in Chicago, we don't have the option to drive down. My husband only can take one week of vacation at a time. I think we are pretty much going to end our "cruising" days in the future. Flying is such a pain now days. O'Hare takes forever to get through. Fee on top of fee just ups the cost more. If RCL had a laundromat, we could pack lighter. We have used the $20 laundry bag, but even that is expensive. Cost of airfare + cost of bags + cost of carry-ons and then the cruise itself - getting to be too much.:( An airline in Europe announced yesterday that they are going to put in vending machines to save money (less flight attendants). Guess that's next. (and if Spirit charges for carry-ons, the rest of the industry will follow suite! Spirit was the airline that started the checked baggage fee)

The Flight Attendants should be happy with this change.

It looks like back breaking work lifting, pulling, shifting people's bags around in the overhead bins trying to make things fit.

Not to mention breaking up arguments when people who board last can't find any bin space.

Just for perspective, Spirit has reduced its lowest fares by about $40 to coincide with this change.

Does that affect your view of its reasonableness? Would you rather pay $40 more for the ticket just so you don't have to pay $25 for a bag?

We are talking Spirit Airlines here. 16 x 14 x 12 is correct... :rolleyes:

Archived