Island Specific Alcohol

No, this is not about smuggling, etc etc etc

We are looking to put together a 'Caribbean Bar Basket' with booze we pick up on our cruise - we are going to use this as a silent auction prize for fundraising that we do.

We are on LOS next week and visiting Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Cozumel. Does anyone know of some island specific booze that we can pick up?? Perhaps something unique or with an offbeat name...

Thanks for your suggestions

PS - Yes, we know that we will have to turn the bottles in until the end of cruise! :p

We also are visiting Grand Cayman and are looking forward to replacing our Tortuga Rum from there that we purchased on our first cruise in 2005. The bottle that we purchased was a little on the strong side but has been kept for a Christmas Eve drink for my husband and daughter each year. Unfortunately the bottle ran dry this year - so the only alternative was to book a cruise that went to Grand Cayman to replace it! Ocho Rios ameson Estate Rum in Ocho Rios. We purchased a Jameson Estate Rum, a Rum Cream and a Banana Cream in Jamaica that were delicious also. In Cozumel I would personally look for a tequila.

We are looking to put together a 'Caribbean Bar Basket' with booze we pick up on our cruise - we are going to use this as a silent auction prize for fundraising that we do.

We are on LOS next week and visiting Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Cozumel. Does anyone know of some island specific booze that we can pick up?? Perhaps something unique or with an offbeat name...

PS - Yes, we know that we will have to turn the bottles in until the end of cruise! :p

This is what I would buy if it was me:

Grand Cayman - Tortuga Rum Cakes, Tortuga Coconut Rum

Ocho Rios - Sangster's (World's End) Rum Cream any flavor, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum

Cozumel - I like Don Julio Anejo Tequila, but that can cost you $45 for 750ml even in Mexico. Cheap Tequila's taste cheap with a bite.

We bought two in Grand Cayman that were not mentioned above. We bought a bottle of "Grand Cayman Rum" that was the name, it wasn't a tortuga brand, but we bought it at the tortuga store right off the ship. It is great and is running low, so we need to get back to Cayman. Another one in Cayman is "Big Black Dick" rum. There is a store in Cayman that sells it, and although I am not a big fan of it, everyone who comes over wants some in their drink.

What a great basket, I would definitly be buying tickets for that kind of fundraiser.

Have fun.

Kathy

The first time we went to Jamaica, we discovered Sangster's Rum Cream. The only other place we ever found it was in Grand Cayman. You can buy it at Tortuga Rum Company, which is right on the main drag when you get off the ferry in Grand Cayman. Any flavor is wonderful. The only other liquor we buy on whatever ship we are on is Sheridan's Coffee Flavored Liquour. Neither of these liquors, to the best of my knowledge, are sold in the U.S. The only place we have every found the Sheridan's is on a cruise ship.

Karen

If you're looking to buy Tequila in Cozumel, consider that Cozumel has it's own Tequila distillery, and bottles of their locally-made tequila are sold throughout the island. That's about as authentic for Cozumel tequila as you're going to get. Cost is usually in the $25-$35 range depending on what type you buy.

Another great choice for Tequila in Cozumel is called Agavero. I sampled it on my last trip there about a year ago and loved it so much I brought back no less than 4 bottles. :D It's the only tequila I've ever tasted that I can literally sip. No mixing, no shooting, just amazing stuff. Agavero was in the $25-$30.00 range as well.

Be careful if flying ... there is a proof-limit as to what would be accepted in the cargo hold.

I think the Los Osuna tequilla is pretty good from Mazatlan. I also like buying Johnny Walker Swing on the ship ... very smooth blend and it is only available in duty-free stores as far as I know.

You can get an amazing price on Kahlua in Cozumel.

You can get an amazing price on Kahlua in Cozumel.

Thanks, I forgot that one! :D I bought two bottles last time, $8 for a 750ml bottle and $10 for a 1 liter bottle. Jose Cuervo Tequila was the same price per bottle as the Kahlua. CHEAP!

Pretty sure you can just pay a duty for more. Plus, I don't think I've ever had a custom's agent actually read my form declaring my purchases.

Yes you can just pay the duty. I have always had a Customs person check my form and sometimes even question me but mostly it happens in Miami only.:confused:

Great idea for the gift basket. We're going on the FOS, eastern in July stopping at Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. Any suggestions for liquor from those ports besides the guavaberry from SM?

Thanks,

Amy

these are not available in cruise ports but if you want off beat names and have a canadian connection we have wines here named "fat bastard and cats pee under a gooseberry bush" .i am not kidding and they are pretty good wines.

Archived