Obstructed ocean view cabin

barryn

Where can I get information on how much of an obstruction there is on the cabins that HAL lists as "obstructed ocean view"? Is there a site that provides lists by ship and specific cabin number?

Thanks for any help.

I don't know where to get info on how obstructed an obstructed view cabin is. However, I can give you my first hand experience, since I've stayed in several of them on different ships.

You will get daylight and be able to tell the difference between night and day (unlike an inside cabin). I found that when I sat on the edge of the bed, I could see beyond the lifeboat or bullwark that was obstructing my view.

I hope this helps.

Roz

The type of obstruction will vary based on the class of ship, so that makes a difference.

The S- and R-class ship obstructions are the hull of the ship itself. The obstructed cabins are on the Lower Promenade Deck. Across from the walking area is steel holding the ship together. There's plenty of light, as Roz says. And by looking either left or right (depending on which cabin) you will be able to see a little sea and sky.

On the Vista and Signature classes, the obstruction is a lifeboat right smack dab in front of your window. Those cabins have wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows, so they let in a lot of light. You should be able to see some sky; don't count on seeing any water.

I can't recall if there are any obstructed cabins on the Prinsendam. If there are, I don't know what the obstruction is. I think it would be a lifeboat, but won't swear to it.

I was wondering the same thing, we just booked an obstructed on the Rotterdam (DD338x) and have always had a verandah or deluxe verandah. We figured the location would be good as we can just walk out to the 'walking track' like one huge verandah.

Based on info on this board about obstructed view cabins, we decided to book an HH obstructed view cabin on Oosterdam. I don't care about having a view, but I need some natural light for my mood and sleep/wake cues.

It is our first cruise, so we also don't have anything to compare to and be disappointed.

I think obstructed view cabins on S class ships are great. Walk out of your room

and you are on the promenade. You have light and actually you can see what type

of day it is.

On the Vista class ships the floor to ceiling glass allows alot of light in. For the

money, I think they are a great deal.

Greg

Here's a view out a G-category partly obstructed cabin aboard the Noordam:

cabin4.jpg

These partly-obstructed cabins look BETWEEN tenders/life boats and, hence, have more of a "view" of the water. However, one also has the view of a wench and other equipment used to raise and lower the boats. It's not bad, however.

I loved these cabins on the Vistas/Signatures. If I don't get a balcony and can't get into a J on Main Deck, this is an excellent compromise.

I was wondering the same thing, we just booked an obstructed on the Rotterdam (DD338x) and have always had a verandah or deluxe verandah. We figured the location would be good as we can just walk out to the 'walking track' like one huge verandah.
In the DDs we've had on the Statendam and Amsterdam, we could see water straight out, but not left or right.

However, one also has the view of a wench ...
Gee, I've never had a cabin with a view of a wench! Are they usually pretty? Sorry, the thought just broke me up! :D:D

In the DDs we've had on the Statendam and Amsterdam, we could see water straight out, but not left or right.
Let me rephrase that: we could see water straight out, and either left or right, but not both ways.

Based on info on this board about obstructed view cabins, we decided to book an HH obstructed view cabin on Oosterdam. I don't care about having a view, but I need some natural light for my mood and sleep/wake cues.

It is our first cruise, so we also don't have anything to compare to and be disappointed.

I had a HH obstructed view cabin on the Oosterdam. The price was the same as an inside and I consider it a great value.

The windows are from floor to ceiling with a lifeboat blocking 95% to 99% of your view. If your cabin is one at the end of the lifeboat, you can get a tiny view standing at the window.

You will get alot of light even with the lifeboat.

If the lifeboat is used in Half Moon Cay (like the one in front of my cabin window), expect to have a full oceanview during that time! It was also fun watching the crew members placing the boat back into position.

Since it's your first cruise, have a great time and come back with a review!!!

We had one of these cabins on the Rotterdam and really liked it. It is like having a huge verandah only steps from the cabin. The location was great. From one of the beds there was a nice sea view. From the other bed, the view was of a bulk head. It was much better than having an ov cabin with portholes.

Archived