How Much Planning Time Do They Need?

sail7seas

JUST Speculation, of course, but the idle conversation about itinerary changes due to the volcano ash got me wondering....

How much lead time do you think HAL needs to cancel transatlantic and repo cruises to Europe and substitute Caribbean cruises from FLL? Probably not a lot seeing they have all their support staff in place and relationships with the various ports and suppliers etc Marketing would be one of their big challenges unless they were able to get the cancelled European cruisers to book Caribbean but I suspect there would be a small percentage agreeable to that.

But, what about to add something new to them or some itinerary they've only done on a rare basis. Someone mentioned a cruise doing something or other in Africa.

Is is realistic they can get a cruise designed, planned, suppliers in place, port requirements managed etc etc etc and then marketed in 6 weeks? In 10 weeks? How long would be the bare minimum do you think?

Not sure if there is any historical precident on this. Was there any similar effect (though smaller in scale) from the 2004 tsunami in asia?

Mexico Swine Flu cruises this past spring/summer had all cruiselines rerouting ships.

The biggest problem would be which dock/tender spaces are available.

I have no idea how long it would take to do the necessary planning - contracting with potential ports of call, reconfiguring supply orders, obtaining vendors, on-shore licensees, etc. but I'm confident that there are many Floridians who no longer work for a living (like me:p) and who cruise a lot (like me:D) who could be prevailed upon to book a cabin at short notice (like me!)

[/b] I recall early in our cruising, Princess did not send ships to Europe as I think it was when the Red Brigade was active. My memory is hazy but I seem to recall attacks in train stations. We sailed Royal Princess from FLL to the Caribbean when she should have been in Europe. I don't know how far in advance they changed the itinerary but I'm sure we booked at least 3-4 weeks out from our sail date.

I can see Alaska licking their chops over this...But how about more cruises to South America...I realize it is coming on winter there, but they could still do the Amazon and as far south as Rio...How about longer cruises that cross and return...EM

I would think it would take day-and-night shifts to get things completely re-worked. Bypassing one port or isolated area is one thing; but entire regions and the multiple sailings in each one? (Mediterranean, et. al.) I couldn't even hazard a guess.

HAL would also have to determine what to do for cruisers that are booked for the European cruises that may be driving or taking a train to the cruise. They may have a high percentage of non US cruisers on those cruises.

Very interesting what IF?

Interesting thread.

I've been thinking how, if the problem persists, HAL may return to being a major trans-Atlantic passenger carrier in addition to being a leisure market business.

Interesting thread.

I've been thinking how, if the problem persists, HAL may return to being a major trans-Atlantic passenger carrier in addition to being a leisure market business.

This could be very true. If flights from Europe to the US/Canada are affected for a long time this would mean a very good business opportunity for anyone who would start trans-atlantic cruises. People still need to cross that little ocean and what better way to do it than on a HAL cruise. :D

And one more note.

At the moment we have winds coming from the west to the east in Iceland/ rest of Europe and that's of course the reason why all that ash is coming from Iceland to the UK and mainland Europe. This could and will change in time. When the winds change all that ash would go to Canada/US if this continues. :o

Interesting thread.

Walt,

My thoughts exactly. Forget cruising for a while and put the speed queens AMSTERDAM and ROTTERDAM on the North Atlantic trade for the next six month. Rotterdam/Southampton/Boston or New York. They should easily make a six day crossing.

Stephen

Not sure how long it would take to co-ordinate new schedules and get tours, etc. in place.

Last spring we lost 4 Mexican ports -- we were only able to pick up one port -- Corinto on short notice. And that was because HAL had already planned on stopping at that port in the fall for the repositioning cruises. So it was not a problem for them to get a few tours quickly put together.

Our captain also wanted to stop at Santa Barbara -- but they informed HAL -- no way -- 6 months to get on the list and get things put together.

Interesting to see how things will play out.

I think the market is there, Stephen. Just wondering, though ... would this (assuming) less costly alternative to Cunard cut into that brand's business?

A little competition never hurt!!!;)

We have to think of the name of the company. After all, it is called HOLLAND - AMERICA and the North Atlantic trade was once the backbone of the company. Their reputation was impeccable as well.

If the market is there no one would loose.

Stephen

What about all the cargo not being shipped by air? Shipping companies must be overwhelmed with new routing requests.

Topsham...... You have me drooling to think of Rotterdam crossing Boston to Southhampton to Boston. A girl can dream......

Adding transatlantic crossings would be much simpler logistically for HAL -

only a starting and finishing port to contend with - and those are larger

with far more capacity.

Next simplest would be a Caribbean itinerary, particularly in Summer when their traffic is light, most islands would welcome unexpected port calls.

Developing exotic itineraries on short notice without working knowledge of

port infrastructure, shorex purveyors, etc. would be time consuming -

and also require the greatest lead in time to market properly.

Why not let ROTTERDAM try a few transatlantics - they are already

scheduled for 2011, so the concept is not as alien to HAL as we might

think. The difficulty here is that she is the most suitable ship, but

scheduled in Alaska, not Europe, this year.

I remember when the 1985-86 Europe season was devastated by the

terrorist attack on the ACHILLE LAURO. I sailed STELLA SOLARIS on

a 4 nighter from New York to Bermuda after she was hastily relocated

from the Med., also Ocean Cruise Lines OCEAN PRINCESS was pulled

from Europe and operated out of Philadelphia. So yes, changes can

be made very quickly if necessary.

What about all the cargo not being shipped by air? Shipping companies must be overwhelmed with new routing requests.

Topsham...... You have me drooling to think of Rotterdam crossing Boston to Southhampton to Boston. A girl can dream......

S7S

One large 4,000 TEU container ship would carry a hefty chunk of air cargo.... and it would be cheaper. Put some passenger accommodation on the ship and you have the best of all worlds!

Well, if the polution from the volcano continues my best is that you will see your dream come true!

Stephen

That sure tears at my empathy and compassion for those whose travel is so horribly impacted while tempting my personal selfish wishes. :o

A cabin on a container ship sounds fun!!! Could be a wonderful crossing for someone who simply wants some down time, read some books, catch up on sleep, have time for interesting conversation....

That sure tears at my empathy and compassion for those whose travel is so horribly impacted while tempting my personal selfish wishes. :o

A cabin on a container ship sounds fun!!! Could be a wonderful crossing for someone who simply wants some down time, read some books, catch up on sleep, have time for interesting conversation....

Sail7Seas, check out one of our newer forums: Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

In away HAL may have a answer now.

The Voyage of the Vikings round trip from Boston departs July 17th, 2010 and is really a B2B and is sold as a round trip also.

You can board in Dover, England for the return 18 days via Greenland & Iceland.

Today is final payment day for the round trip and it still has available staterooms -- However, the Dover to Boston leg

(8/3/10 boarding) is contact HAL for availability & price.

I hope in 4 months things will be back to normal for flying in Europe.

Ray

Archived