Can you get to the heliport on the Freedom?

We're leaving Sunday for the Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom. I've been reading different threads about the great view from the heliport pad. We've only been on one other Royal cruise and never knew about this. Can you get to it and if so how? We'd like to be there as we sail away, and to catch some great star viewing.

You get there from the outside prominade where the lifeboats are. There are stairs on both sides(Port & Starboard). They were open everytime I tried to go.

And as far as I know, this is on all RCI ships. Yes it is a great place to watch the world go by.

Jan

Jan and Tim, on our Freedom cruise in October, the helpad / observation deck was open, and regularly used. As Martikus said, the only time it was closed was at night and during high winds. On either side of the Deck Four outside promenade, you'll find a stairs as you head towards the front. Go up those stairs and voila!

I know this is the case on Freedom and Voyager class ships, but it's not the case on Vision (I checked last week!!), so it's not fleet wide unfortunately.

It can be uncomfortably windy there...it's not as great as some make it to be....it's a view...there are a lot of views from most places on the ship! If it should be closed, or you don't have time to get there, have no worries...you won't have missed much!

We were on Freedom in March and the helipad was open to the passengers. The only exception was as some others have mentioned, when the winds were very strong. Note, the Vision and Sovereign class do not have halipads, the radiance class was the first to have this feature, so dont waste a lot of time looking if you are on a Vision class or Sovereign class ship.

Mike

I agree with the others that this is a great place. Love it for sail away. At times it can be windy and other times it can be very quiet. They have benches where you can sit and enjoy the view. The Oasis has a helipad but it is only open when they do the star gazing on a couple of nights. Missed not being able to go up there.

VERY NICE at sail away! I really like it when the dolphins swim with you when you leave Port Canaveral! Hopefully they will make an appearance when we sail out in May!

Tim

I thought the Dolphins are out of Miami and they don't start up again until Sept.

I love going out to the helipad. And when it is windy it can be even more exciting. I don't think a night goes by on the ship that I don't stop there for at least a few minutes. I will miss not being able to go there on Oasis.

Archived