Charge for room service?

The other way to look at this is if your son does order room service he would be giving a tip anyway I assume. Since the 3.95 includes the tip it is not a whole lot more than normal????

Besides when I am on vacation I don't worry myself about those few extra $$. I am there to relax not count pennies.

Either way your son will not go hungry, enjoy your trip.

The other way to look at this is if your son does order room service he would be giving a tip anyway I assume. Since the 3.95 includes the tip it is not a whole lot more than normal????

Besides when I am on vacation I don't worry myself about those few extra $$. I am there to relax not count pennies.

Either way your son will not go hungry, enjoy your trip.

You are right on both points , will not go hungry and I am on vacation and a few more bucks on the bill ain't gonna kill me..uhh,him:D

About the $3.95 'service charge' on room service orders after midnight, where does it say that encompasses the tip for who delivers to your cabin? I dont know....Id feel terrible not giving a tip, I know DH would never not tip them. Does it say this on Royal site? Just curious where the info is from, true fact or opinion?

About the $3.95 'service charge' on room service orders after midnight, where does it say that encompasses the tip for who delivers to your cabin? I dont know....Id feel terrible not giving a tip, I know DH would never not tip them. Does it say this on Royal site? Just curious where the info is from, true fact or opinion?

To be honest I can´t say more that I remember when it was announced they said it would include a gratuity, but I wasn´t able to find any other information other than "room service charge may apply" on the rccl website.

I found it interesting in the original announcement, it is for room service ordered, not delivered. The problem must have been with people ordering and accepting it for one reason or another. The thread on it is here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=896330

Mentioned above in another post is the link to the original article. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2998

I have been unable to find on Royal site that it includes the tip, and I have been searching for an answer. I read on CC that it includes tip but have been unable to find it in writing. It's not a big deal for me; I plan on sleeping during those hours.

According to this article, part of the surcharge goes towards the gratutity.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2998

Date Published: January 5, 2009 pixel.gifredcarat.gifRoyal Caribbean International Profile and Reviews

redcarat.gif Latest Cruise News Headlines

pixel.gif Royal Caribbean Comments on Late-Night Room Service FeeRoyal Caribbean has shed some light on its new late-night room service fee that was the talk of the Cruise Critic Message Boards last week. The $3.95 surcharge will be for food items ordered --not delivered -- between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., and will be rolled out on a ship-by-ship basis between January 13 and 23. According to spokesperson Harrison Liu, the charge is intended to minimize food waste onboard; Royal Caribbean definitely wants to keep its in-room dining service as yet another meal option for passengers.

The surcharge will be levied per order to any order from the "Light Snacks" in-room dining menu, made between the stated late-night hours (with a five-minute grace period to account for differences in clocks and watches). Beverage-only orders will be exempt from the surcharge. Room service will be complimentary between 5 a.m. and midnight, including all in-room breakfasts served between 7 - 10 a.m. regardless of when you place the order. So feel free to hang the room-service tag outside your door at 1 a.m. -- your morning eggs and toast will not cost you a penny.

Of the fee, $1.50 will go to the staff as a gratuity, with the remaining $2.45 going into Royal Caribbean's coffers. If you typically tip your room service delivery-person more than that, you are encouraged to add an additional gratuity when you sign the receipt for your food order -- no need for cash.

If you get the munchies past midnight, but don't want to pay the $3.95 fee, Royal Caribbean is making sure all of its ships will have food available 24 hours a day. On Freedom- and Voyager-class ships, the Café Promenade is open 24/7, and serves cookies and finger sandwiches for free. On ships without a Royal Promenade, the opening hours of either the Solarium Café or Sorrento's Pizza will be extended, so food will be served between midnight and 5 a.m.

Would you pay $3.95 for room service, or are you willing to search for food elsewhere on the ship? Tell us your opinion.

--by Erica Silverstein, Associate Editor

If you get the munchies past midnight, but don't want to pay the $3.95 fee, Royal Caribbean is making sure all of its ships will have food available 24 hours a day. On Freedom- and Voyager-class ships, the Café Promenade is open 24/7, and serves cookies and finger sandwiches for free. On ships without a Royal Promenade, the opening hours of either the Solarium Café or Sorrento's Pizza will be extended, so food will be served between midnight and 5 a.m.

Would you pay $3.95 for room service, or are you willing to search for food elsewhere on the ship? Tell us your opinion.

--by Erica Silverstein, Associate Editor

That´s not true, the Solarium cafe is open 24/7 on the Vision class ships.

Ah, perhaps before they instituted the charge, it was NOT open those hours? That's the only way that I can account for not knowing this. I am usually the MASTER of the late-night snack!

According to this article, part of the surcharge goes towards the gratutity.

Before the charge, I tipped them $5, and I still will during the non-charge times. If I were to order room service between 12-5 am, this new surcharge would actually save me money. Considering the tip is included, I really don't see why anyone would fuss about this.

Archived