Charge for room service?

I read on another board that RCI charges for for late room service, I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything....is that true?

Yes. You should be able to find it on the RCCL website quite easily, but they do charge for room service in the late night hours. I think it's $3.95, but I don't remember the hours involved. I know that, for us, it was not hours that we would want to be eating . . .

I take it back; you can't easily find it on rccl.com. All I see is that "late night service charge applies." I guess that is because it could vary from ship to ship. Checked my compass for the Voyager, and it was a $3.95 fee from midnight to 5am.

midnight to 5am delivery is $3.95

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2998

BTW to Paul65, not so easy, I tried to come up with the answer searching RCCL.com and all I could come up with there applies a late night service charge, but no mention of how much and what hours.

I ended up qith a google search to find the CC article and other sources, but still nothing on rccl website:rolleyes:

ETA: OK I see you just posted the same while I was typing.

I hope they dont start charging for room service at any hour of the day. Honestly, in my opinion, I dont think that is there plan at all. :eek: I lean towards thinking that there is a large majority that order late night room service and do not eat it, leaving a mess of trays in the cabin halls. Kids are notorius for this, Royal knows it.

Royal needs your money, they charge for late night room service. They are probably trying to see if it goes over without much fuss then charge everyone anytime for room service.

Oh yes, this is definately the answer....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it has been made pretty clear that there was much waste of food happening during this time. Also, I think it helps to control the number of room service orders during this time, allowing them to dedicate less staff during these hours. It is clearly a cost saving measure, but doubt it's about having a charge all the time. And, RCI does need your money, just like every other cruise line. There is a group of people that seem to think that RCI is about to go belly up. They are certainly in better shape than NCL and some others. Seen the stock price lately?

I hope they dont start charging for room service at any hour of the day. Honestly, in my opinion, I dont think that is there plan at all. :eek: I lean towards thinking that there is a large majority that order late night room service and do not eat it, leaving a mess of trays in the cabin halls. Kids are notorius for this, Royal knows it.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised. If you look at the link that madforcruising posts above, they claim that reducing waste was the main factor. Of course, the cynics will never believe that, but it makes sense.

Royal needs your money, they charge for late night room service. They are probably trying to see if it goes over without much fuss then charge everyone anytime for room service.

My guess is that people would return to their stateroom after a night of partying, order room service, then promptly fall asleep/pass out and either not answer the door when room service showed up, or yell at them to go away. RC decided enough with the food waste and added the late night delivery charge

I agree, I think that RCI is trying to alleviate some of the issues with people coming back to the cabin after a few cocktails and deciding they want a snack. When the room service gets there they often are asleep (and therefore don't answer the door) or forget to tip the delivery person. By instituting this fee during those late night hours the room service staff is ensured of getting their tips. Yes, the $3.95 service charge does include the tip!

Personally I don't have a problem with having the fee on during those hours as I never use it then. If they start charging during the normal hours (especially breakfast since that's my wake up call a number of mornings) I would be upset, but truly don't see that happening any time soon.

ETA - Guess I'm not alone, a number of similar posts all at the same time!!

Tell me which line won´t need your money? Sometimes it seems to me people think about cruiselines as a charity. They are in the business to make money!

I do agree with the majority here that it´s more about wasted food, reducing orders and thus needing less crew during night times and ensuring those crew their tips.

Don´t forget you are not dependant on the room service, there is food to be had 24 hours for free, if you are willing to get it yourself.

Thank you all for the replies..looks like i better tell my son, he's a night owl and gets hungry in the wee hours. If Princess charged a fee, it wouldn't make a difference as they keep part of their buffet open 24/7. I did a search on here and on RIC site and found out the Windjammer is open 'almost around the clock' whatever that means. I better tell him to pack snacks....this kid can eat, don't know where he puts it, he's not fat.

Thank you all for the replies..looks like i better tell my son, he's a night owl and gets hungry in the wee hours. If Princess charged a fee, it wouldn't make a difference as they keep part of their buffet open 24/7. I did a search on here and on RIC site and found out the Windjammer is open 'almost around the clock' whatever that means. I better tell him to pack snacks....this kid can eat, don't know where he puts it, he's not fat.

The Windjammer is far from open 24/7. But there will be snacks somewhere on the ship 24/7.

The room service selections are better than what is available after hours....have him pay the 3.95, he can order as much as he wants, the chicken drumetts, sandwiches and chips and dip are quite good.

He can also order bags of potato chips.

I think that they are phasing out the chicken drumettes and chili dip. On the Oasis, it was not on the menu and several other posters posted a week or so ago that they were missing on the room service menu on their ships. They replaced them on the Oasis with Honey Stung chicken served with sweet potato fries and ranch dressing. The new dip was Spinach/artichoke/cheese dip.

I did a search on here and on RIC site and found out the Windjammer is open 'almost around the clock' whatever that means.

Umm, no - not true at all. Sorry, but WJ on Grandeur closes at 9 pm for the night (I looked it up on the RCI website). However, as stated, there will always be food available somewhere on the ship. He'll just have to find it.

Umm, no - not true at all. Sorry, but WJ on Grandeur closes at 9 pm for the night (I looked it up on the RCI website). However, as stated, there will always be food available somewhere on the ship. He'll just have to find it.

I appreciate everyone's input and so glad to know he won't go hungry ( like anyone can on a cruise ship lol) ...I must have stumbled on a different page on their site, this is what I found:

s.gif Windjammer Café s.gif On Grandeur Of The Seas s.gif Details s.gif The Windjammer Café is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat before hitting the pool or enjoy a casual dinner to top off a day of adventure. Open almost around the clock, it offers great food, spectacular views and an attentive wait staff, all in a casual atmosphere.

I appreciate everyone's input and so glad to know he won't go hungry ( like anyone can on a cruise ship lol) ...I must have stumbled on a different page on their site, this is what I found:

s.gif Windjammer Café s.gif On Grandeur Of The Seas s.gif Details s.gif The Windjammer Café is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat before hitting the pool or enjoy a casual dinner to top off a day of adventure. Open almost around the clock, it offers great food, spectacular views and an attentive wait staff, all in a casual atmosphere.

As Langley Cruisers said,

Um, they lie.

All Windjammers close after dinner, and that's 9 on some ships and 9:30 on others. It will not re-open until early morning breakfast.

And on Vision class ships, you won't find anything open except maybe the coffee place and ice cream counter EXCEPT room service.

Radiance class' Seaview Cafe will stay open late-ish, but not "late". Certainly nowhere near 24 hours.

Sorrento's on Monarch and Majesty will also be open "late-ish", but room service is still your best bet.

Crepes and/or sandwiches in the solarium on some Radiance class ships, too, but usually no later than midnight.

Originated due to drunks ordering at 2am or 3am and then passing out leaving a steward banging on a door with a tray of food and passed out pax inside!

This tends to deter waste. Yeah RCI may make a few bucks, but those that said it was a revenue raising idea are off, it is a revenue saving idea.

Archived