Book early or wait for last minute deal???

I'm really confused what to do on this. My husband and I have a nice cruise booked for Spring Break next year with the kids already, but we would like to fit in an "extra" cruise for the two of us in October. We don't really care what the itinerary is. We are looking for the best price possible for an inside cabin. We were thinking of booking a Carnival cruise at the super saver rate ($399) or waiting and trying to get on the one of the big RCI ships (Freedom or Liberty of the Seas) at a last minute rate. We have gone both lines before, but when we take the kids, we always go Carnival because the rates are so much better. I would really like to get a great rate on RCI, but I don't know if they really ever drop that much? October, I would think, would be one of the better times to try to do this. I also question airfare. I've traditionally booked airfare very early, so I don't know how that will go if we wait for the last minute. We'll be flying out of KC most likely to Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone have any advice to offer on this?

We always book as early as possible so we can pick the location and room we want.

If that doesn't matter to you, then you "might" get some good deals last minute.

However, every cruise I have ever booked with RCCI the price has gone up not down the closer to sailing..

This is a debate that goes on here quite a bit. I think it is pretty even as to when folks think it is best to book. Both have pros and cons. We book early to get the cabin we want and hope for a price drop. Others will wait it out and hope for a Tuesday sale. It really is a toss up as to what works best and for who.

I'm sorry I didn't read all your post - it seemed to all run together....

But

I would always book as early as possible to get the best cabin selection.

Then watch the price - - Unlike GTO girl, we have ALWAYS seen price reductions (sometimes as many as 3) between booking and sailing. That's why we always book direct with RCI and always get our price reductions without hassle.

Hope This Helps.

We have always booked a year in advance and got early booking discount free car parking & OBC plus the choice of cabin and we have never had a price drop but have always saved loads of cash doing this,our upcoming cruise has gone up a thousand pounds for the same cabin without the perks.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

I booked a cruise for October 2010 - in May 2008. I chose where I wanted to be without any hassle. The same holiday now would cost for my family of 4 adults including flights from England to Florida, with over night stay at Hilton Marina - £3600 ($5600) more- for the same cabins - so glad I booked early.!!!!! Good luck:D

We book both ways. When there is a cruise we really want to take, ship and itinerary, I tend to book it early. Our cabin location is not a big deal to us. Some of the cruises, we book last minute. One of the problems with booking last minute, the airfare can be high and eat up any discount savings you get on the last minute cruise. Sometimes, it will work to your favor to wait, and sometimes, it can be more pricey. Another big issue would be how flexible your schedule is. If it is very flexible, and you can go during off season, you will have a much better chance to get a better price. October is more the off season, and if it were me, I would wait to book.

We have NCL Pearl booked for 10-10-10, and paid $399. pp (plus taxes) for Western 7 night. We have our air down, but not home. The price for airfare is skyhigh now for the way home, and I check it every couple days.

Last year, we booked early Dec. for our Liberty 2-7-10 cruise and paid about $419. pp for 7 night Western, booked our Navigator (jan. 2010 B2B 5 night each) and paid $249. pp/5 nights, and $299. pp/5 nights (then got price reduction to $249. pp). There are all inside cabins, but that doesn't matter to us. We would rather cruise twice a year in an inside cabin, than once a year in a balcony.

This all depends on how flexible your schedule is, and where you want to cruise to and how picky you are on cabins.

We book when we're ready to book. As early as over a year in advance and as late as a couple months out. If you book it yourself it doesn't matter. If the price drops you call and they'll adjust and if it goes up you got a better deal.

Did something like you are thinking of doing just this past March.

First we found good air prices from Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale.

We always leave a 1 day prior to the cruise.

So we booked our flight going to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday morning, we were in Ft. Lauderdale by 11am. Our return flight was leaving the following Sunday at 1pm.

Since alot of cruiselines sail out Ft.Lauderdale we waited until last minute to book either a 7 day cruise leaving on a Saturday or a Sunday and still make our 1pm flight on Sunday.

So we just waited and watched prices up until about 2 weeks prior to the cruise before we booked it.

Ended up booking a Balcony GTY on Holland America Eurodam at a great price.

This was a Saturday to Saturday sailing so we just used priceline and got a cheap hotel for Saturday night and flew home on Sunday.

Worked out great.

My advice is to keep an eye on things. When the right combo of cruise/flight pricing comes up, book it. Flexibility can be a wonderful thing to have on your side.

Otherwise, if you wish to go in October, book an October cruise/flights now, watching for price drops for the cruise.

Then watch the price - - Unlike GTO girl, we have ALWAYS seen price reductions (sometimes as many as 3) between booking and sailing. That's why we always book direct with RCI and always get our price reductions without hassle.

Hope This Helps.

This has been our experience, too. Unfortunately for the OP, if the price isn't what they want by final payment date, then they will have to cancel or take their chances with a price drop. I usually see price drops at approximately 4 - 6 months before the cruise, then again within 60 days before the cruise.

I agree: book early and watch the price. Go to another cheaper cruise at final payment time.

We were thinking of booking a Carnival cruise at the super saver rate ($399) or waiting and trying to get on the one of the big RCI ships (Freedom or Liberty of the Seas) at a last minute rate.

i would never book Carnival this this close to final payment at the $399 rate. What if it goes down?? If there is a pack n go last minute rate, you are screwed, because only early saver rates get price drops, you will get nadda. If you really want to book Carnival, Id book ES way out, because prices are already going up .. so now to me its a waiting game. (just how Id play it).

Wait for the last minute rates if you really are that flexible and can go out of Florida, you have a huge selection, dont lock yourself into a rate that doesnt get price drops after final payment.

Archived