Another tipping question (sorry)

mizsusan

We always leave the auto tip that Princess charges in place, so we know that everyone gets a fair share tip. My question is...

If we give an additional tip (like to our room steward) does that money have to then go into the general tip pool? It seems that if we receive extra good service, and want to tip that individual extra for it - that money should go to that person.

We always leave the auto tip that Princess charges in place, so we know that everyone gets a fair share tip. My question is...

If we give an additional tip (like to our room steward) does that money have to then go into the general tip pool? It seems that if we receive extra good service, and want to tip that individual extra for it - that money should go to that person.

If you leave the auto tip in place, then any extra you give they are allowed to keep. ;)

Any extra money received is checked against the auto-tip removal list; if the auto-tip is in place, the recipient keeps the money. If the autotip is removed, they have to turn it in. How they deal with the situation where autotip is removed and the cumulative tip is larger than the autotip requirement is a mystery to me.

I've been told to hand the money (cash) to the person you're wanting to acknowledge - that way they really don't have to report it if they so desire

I would not advise that. They could lose their job for this. If you DO LEAVE the autotip on, then give whomever you want an envelope with cash but include on the envelope your name and cabin number. He/She can keep it as long as the autotip is left on.

• 2 weeks later...
How will the ship or anyone know if you give extra and if so how much. What does the ship do, go through their pockets or turn them upside down and shake until all the change falls out?

I suspect that is up to the honesty of the staff member you give the money to. They will know if you left the auto tip on, and have a decision to make if someone did not leave the auto tip on. I would guess that the rules state that if a staff member keeps a tip that they aren't supposed to, they would probably be in some kind of trouble if they were caught with it.

Mike

How will the ship or anyone know if you give extra and if so how much. What does the ship do, go through their pockets or turn them upside down and shake until all the change falls out?

The OP's question was answered weeks ago. Why drag this thread out again?

For crew, ships are very small places, and everyone knows exactly what everyone else is up to.

If anyone gets a cash tip that they ought to hand in to put into the pool but pockets the money instead, they are in effect stealing from their fellow crew members. (This includes, in particular, crew members who will never get handed any tips directly because of their positions, and so depend on the pool for all of their income.) So every crew member has an incentive to make sure that nobody else is stealing from them, to watch to see whether it is happening, and to report it if it does. And the consequences for the cheating crew member are very severe. So there's a lot of effective self-policing that can go on.

However, if you leave the auto-tip on and the crew member is entitled to keep the extra cash that you give him, then there is no problem - they can be open about it, and they're allowed to keep the money.

It is always better to post to an existing thread on the subject than to start a new thread. bahatraveler did the right thing.

My point was that the question was answered long ago, why stir up the pot again? Final answer, have a good day!

I would like to know how everyone knows for sure that they have to share the tips if auto-tip is removed.

Over on the Carnival boards it was established (by John Heald I believe) that there was no tip pool and that everybody kept what was given to them.

Is each cruise line different in this regard?

I would like to know how everyone knows for sure that they have to share the tips if auto-tip is removed.

Over on the Carnival boards it was established (by John Heald I believe) that there was no tip pool and that everybody kept what was given to them.

Is each cruise line different in this regard?

I assume then that Carnival does not have, as Princess does, a daily hotel service charge ("auto-tip") put on each passenger's account.

On Princess, this money is put into a pool to be shared.

Its all pure specualtion, nobody really knows what the policy is. ;)

If it is pure speculation then the pax service employes at the pursers desk must be into speculation. I overheard one of the pax service people explain this to a woman when she came up to cancel her autotip. She got rather ugly with him and stated that she prefers to hyand the tip to the person directly and it made no difference if he had to turn it into the pool.

I have also asked some of the stewards and they have stated the same thing.

Soooooooooooooo - speculation?? I don't think so.

If it is pure speculation then the pax service employes at the pursers desk must be into speculation. I overheard one of the pax service people explain this to a woman when she came up to cancel her autotip. She got rather ugly with him and stated that she prefers to hyand the tip to the person directly and it made no difference if he had to turn it into the pool.

I have also asked some of the stewards and they have stated the same thing.

Soooooooooooooo - speculation?? I don't think so.

No need to be so confrontational. :)

We are all here for the same thing. ;)

No need to be so confrontational. :)

We are all here for the same thing. ;)

Sorry Keith, I didn't mean for it to be a confrontational post. It is, however policy even though it is not published. I'm sure with all of your Princess cruises you have asked or heard the staff state this??

Perhaps it should be published in the answer book.

Sorry Keith, I didn't mean for it to be a confrontational post. It is, however policy even though it is not published. I'm sure with all of your Princess cruises you have asked or heard the staff state this??

Perhaps it should be published in the answer book.

Yes I agree, I just hear so many versions of all these policies and take all the thoughts with a grain of salt. :D

Archived