Single cruise price

alohadad

It has come to my disappointment that HAL is charging 190-200 % for a single cruiser. In all the years I've been with HAL they have always been at 150 % for us single cruisers. I know that the costs of running a cruise line have gone up. But its just hard to take.

It seems to depend on which cruise you want to take. I looked at one that was going to cost me 200%. Then another one (which I have deposited, but am not totally committed to) was 150%. It annoys me no end -- DH has limited vacation, while I am self-employed and could actually get a solo cruise every year. But the 200% to me is a dealbreaker.

What cabin category are you looking at? It's always been my understanding that insides were 150%, and suites were 200%. Some cabins in between (don't remember which) were 190%.

I book insides as a solo, and have always paid close to 150% (with some variation due to the non-discounted and taxes portions). Are you saying this has gone up?

I learned the hard way that even if you book a cabin with someone if they do not make the cruise the one who goes on alone will pay extra. DH and I purchased CPP Insurance and booked through HAL. DH had a last minute injury that prevented him from going. He still wanted me to go. I called the PCC at HAL and was told DH would have a 90% refund less the cost of insurance even if I wanted to go on alone so I did thinking all would be OK. Not true. After not seeing a credit on my credit card account one month after the cruise DH called HAL. Not only did we not get the refund but now they are saying we owe more money. Had I been given accurate information I would not have gone and at least we would have had a refund for both of us. I trusted the information I was given and now we are out a lot of money in addition to the money I spent onboard. Lesson learned and still waiting to hear from HAL.

The last 2 solo cruises I booked were Pacific Coastals but both were at 200%. Both were inside guarantees. Thankfully DH made the first one, and this upcoming one as well so just had to pay his taxes and port charges. But my days of solo cruising may be coming to an end, I just can't just justify paying that high a single supplement.

RuthC, I tried for an inside gty on the O-dam leaving SD tomorrow, and was quoted (by my HAL PCC and by other TAs) 200%.

My Sept cruise to Alaska was 150% for an MM gty.

Hummm. Have to wonder what criteria are used to decide which %-age to use. Could it be the better-selling cruises command the higher surcharge, while the less popular cruises have the usual supplement? Or, could HAL be edging up the supplement slowly, you know, to see if we notice???

Hummm. Have to wonder what criteria are used to decide which %-age to use. Could it be the better-selling cruises command the higher surcharge, while the less popular cruises have the usual supplement? Or, could HAL be edging up the supplement slowly, you know, to see if we notice???

IMHO only, I think there's a $$$ threshold under which HAL won't sell a cabin. The Alaska run is pretty popular, yet that's the one I got 150% on. The starting price on it was significantly higher than the O-dam starting price. The O-dam cruise was still being flogged by discount online agencies about 10 days ago..... so you'd think they'd have lowered the single supplement, wouldn't you?

I'm ending up paying close to what the 200% O-dam cruise would have cost, for 7 days only, instead of 10. (But I have time to pay off the Alaska cruise, the O-dam would have had to have been put on my credit card)

Or possibly HAL is hoping that even if they have to deep-discount some cabins, they'll get 2 bodies in there, and are hoping for greater onboard spending.

RuthC, I tried for an inside gty on the O-dam leaving SD tomorrow, and was quoted (by my HAL PCC and by other TAs) 200%.

My Sept cruise to Alaska was 150% for an MM gty.

In this case, it's most likely because the sailing you've requested leaves tomorrow.

I've taken three solo HAL cruises, and all were charged 150% - however, if you book anything above an oceanview - a balcony or suite, for example, you'll be charged 200%.

The last 2 solo cruises I booked were Pacific Coastals but both were at 200%. Both were inside guarantees. Thankfully DH made the first one, and this upcoming one as well so just had to pay his taxes and port charges. But my days of solo cruising may be coming to an end, I just can't just justify paying that high a single supplement.

I was looking at Costa cruises for a friend, and they don't seem to charge much more for being a solo passenger. She was very impressed by that after having to pay 200% fare on a few cruises.

I was looking at Costa cruises for a friend, and they don't seem to charge much more for being a solo passenger. She was very impressed by that after having to pay 200% fare on a few cruises.

some of costa's older ships have singles cabins. i've had one of those twice, now.

i once got a cabin on hal for zero %, but that was a one-off. 150% for the others.

some of costa's older ships have singles cabins. i've had one of those twice, now.

i once got a cabin on hal for zero %, but that was a one-off. 150% for the others.

Actually it was one of their newer ships. Do they have single cabins on the newer ones? Are they also just a single bed?

Actually it was one of their newer ships. Do they have single cabins on the newer ones? Are they also just a single bed?

don't know about the newer ones. mine were on allegra and europa (now thompson dream). yes, it was a single bed.

It will be interesting to see how NCL's new EPIC does with its single cabins.

I priced a mid December sailing with $829 single in their studio, and $1318 single (200% single supplement) on the next highest cabin.

Personally it would have to be something special for me to pay 200%.:mad:

Just wondering, have you gotten upgraded from an inside single?

Or refused single booking?

I was upgraded once, according to my then TA it was because he pushed for it; I had booked a specific cabin. I do usually book that way, but have gone the guarantee route a few times. The guarantee bookings got me exactly what I paid for. :(

I've never been refused a single booking, if that's the question. Nor have I ever turned down a cruise due to the cost. Obviously, I stay away from the higher-priced lines, but have always been comfortable with HAL's prices.

The thought of paying for an entire non-existant person bothers the heck out of me.

In this case, it's most likely because the sailing you've requested leaves tomorrow.

I've taken three solo HAL cruises, and all were charged 150% - however, if you book anything above an oceanview - a balcony or suite, for example, you'll be charged 200%.

I'd actually been looking at it, investigating it, and talking with PCC and TAs since about the beginning of February. So it isn't as though yesterday I just decided to try to get on board. I really thought once all the discounters were really discounting I had a better chance of getting the 150% supplement. But not so.

Like others have mentioned, I totally resent having to pay for a non-existent person.

Without knowing the inside finances of any of the cruise lines, I guess that the cabins are priced to just about cover the actual costs, with the onboard sales making the profit. I think the plan is to average two passengers per cabin, and I think that they are priced that way.

So, when I get a cabin to myself for less than 200% of the advertised rate, I tell myself it's a bargain. I could be wrong about this, but it keeps me happier with my decision not to share my space. When comparing rates for different cruises, I just double the rate in each case. It makes it easier to compare to a land vacation, too, as hotels are priced by the room, not per person.

My onboard purchases are probably much lower than half of what most couples purchase together. I like to arrange my own tours when possible. The only things I buy in the shops on board are forgotten essentials. Last time, I bought one photo of our group, a wine package for dinner, one latte, and one cosmo. So, a cruise line makes a little money from my activities, but would get a lot more from the average couple in the same cabin.

I'd actually been looking at it, investigating it, and talking with PCC and TAs since about the beginning of February. So it isn't as though yesterday I just decided to try to get on board. I really thought once all the discounters were really discounting I had a better chance of getting the 150% supplement. But not so.

Like others have mentioned, I totally resent having to pay for a non-existent person.

I'm relatively new to the world of solo cruising, but I try to look at it this way:

• Most of the time you pay the same price for a hotel room, whether one or two people occupy it. That's not so different from cruising.
  • Look for good discounts online. Often I find that paying 200% of a greatly reduced fare is less than paying 150% of a close-to-list fare. It's all in the final cost, not the percentage.

I think it's mostly a matter of supply and demand. When I priced a cruise a few days ago it was 150%, which I think is usual in most of the lower priced cabins. As the ship fills up to the point where the line can fill most cabins with couples, the line has nothing to lose by raising the single supplement. I've even heard of this on Crystal, one of the most solo-friendly lines, when the ship is on the verge of selling out.

Hello "alohadad"

I just was busy for a booking for us and our friends.

Here the requested cost for one cabin for two, and the other one with only one passenger :

Ms Nieuw Amsterdam July 4, 2010 – cabin category "G", which is an outside cabin with a so called "obstructed view".

> double occupancy – per person = 2'013 US$

> single occupancy = 2'983 US$

Ms Nieuw Amsterdam July 14, 2010 – cabin category "G"

> double occupancy – per person = 2'328 US$

> single occupancy = 3'453 US$

So for these two bookings, there was a single occupancy supplement for both cruises at about 30 %.... And I know it with certain, because I just preceded the final payment for both cabins !!

Meanwhile, I cannot confirm the above-mentioned 150 – 180 or even 200 % of single charge.

All 3 passengers are 3 Star Mariner and we will sail on a brand new vessel.

So the extra charge is not so painful as discussed.

You can see this cabin as shown in thread….

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=951904

…. Post nr. "7" !

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005