Wine Program on Princess

wineluvr

Princess usually has two wine tastings on each cruise.

Princess Grape Vine - cost is about $9.50 pp

Maitre 'd Wine Club - cost is about $25.00 pp

We live in wine country, and although not wine snobs, do know something about good wines. The cheaper wine tasting event is worth it...the more expensive one, really NOT.

And as wine chugglers every evening, we have a totally opposite viewpoint about the wine tastings on board!

Re: Sommeliers -- if the Princess ship you are cruising has Vines then Vines will have a Sommelier and some wines there that is not on the Dining Room wine list. The Dining Room wine list has mainly mass produced wines and no Sommelier is needed.

We live in wine country, and although not wine snobs, do know something about good wines. The cheaper wine tasting event is worth it...the more expensive one, really NOT.

Sorry, they do not have Sommeliers on board.

If the ship has the "Vines" wine bar there will be a Sommelier on board. He/she may not be at Vines all day/everyday, but is usually available to discuss/recommend the wines they have at Vines and also those in the MDRs. At least that was the case last year on the Ruby.

We thoroughly enjoyed the higher price wine tasting and found it good value and very entertaining. It was a lovely occasion and I'm almost sure that at least one sommelier introduced some of the wines to us. (Emerald)

The tables were set out beautifully, with 6 sparkling glasses and plates of tasty snacks.

I agree, also from wine country. Even seven day cruises have two tastings, on our last cruise [Coral] the dining room was full for the first one.

john

The cheaper one has wines that range from $25 to $40 (ship prices). And they serve it with cheese and crackers. But one still gets the desert wine and the desert glass to take with you.

The $25 tasting had higher end wines -- ship prices from $40 to $120 / bottle. But someone mentioned that they pour 32 tastings from one bottle. The appetizers are also Canapes instead of cheese. We did have $5 coupons -- so it cost us $20 pp last time.

What do you get on the cheaper wine tasting? Is it the same format as the expensive one but with lower priced wines?

We did the higher priced tasting on the Crown a few years ago. It was fun and the tables were set up beautifully. You definitely got a small taste as they used those devices on top of the bottle for each pouring. My dh and I enjoyed it. I was unimpressed with the wines they were tasting in the lower priced tasting event. I agree with the previous poster bring on as much good wine as you can when you board. It still will be a better deal even if you have to pay the extra corkage fee.

Particularly so when responding incorrectly. We had an excellent sommelier onboard star coming from SYD/LAX last Nov.

Ciao for now!!!

So the main dinning rooms now have Sommeliers. I was under the impression that just certain specialty restaurants did. But guess I am wrong.

The cheaper one has wines that range from $25 to $40 (ship prices). And they serve it with cheese and crackers. But one still gets the desert wine and the desert glass to take with you.

The $25 tasting had higher end wines -- ship prices from $40 to $120 / bottle. But someone mentioned that they pour 32 tastings from one bottle. The appetizers are also Canapes instead of cheese. We did have $5 coupons -- so it cost us $20 pp last time.

Thank you.

They certainly weren't generous servings, but some were more generous than others, especially if you got the bottom of the bottle. Don't recall bottle top measures.

We didn't get a dessert wine and glass. We had sparkling wine on entry to the dining room, then 1 champagne, 2 whites and 3 reds, ending with the £120 bottle. They did try to sell the wines at the end, but weren't pushy. I will certainly try the $9 tasting next time.

My wife and I are sailing on Princess next month. Does Princess offer a variety of wine seminars? Do they have Sommeliers onboard?

It depends on the ship and the sailing~~We had a wonderful sommellier on the 30 day Star sailing last Oct. He was very helpful in recommending some of the lesser known (to me) wines. He also helped MC the expensive wine tasting which I really enjoyedicon10.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived