LAFFNVEGAS LIVE From the NCL Pearl Heading North Up The West Coast

LAFFNVEGAS

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. Ryan rabe is the best concierge. Tell him Suzanne and her mom Barbara say hi. Enjoy your trip.

Tuesday April 27th, 2010

Good Morning from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl.

My Report this morning is basically going to be some tidbits of differences between the different cruises lines and probably more of Things I really like about NCL :D

First off the Pearl really is a beautiful ship, from the Atrium area, to the shops, to the many Dining Rooms, to Spinnakers and the Show Lounge. This ship is actually very quiet or at least our cabin is. As we are heading North the Seas are becoming much rougher which is to be expected. Last night Captain and his Officers were kickin it into high gear and there was a whole lot of Rockin and Rollin going on. I got up to go the the bathroom and had a really had a hard time standing. I would equate it to a good “E” ride a Disneyland. Yes I know that E ride thing ages me ;) But the cabin is quiet. If you listen you will hear just a bit of creeking sounds but for the most part it is very quiet. I have to admit that unfortunately on HAL it seemed in most cabins that it would be extremely noisey.

This is going to be a really relaxed day for me today. It is 10:00 am I am sipping on my 2nd cup of coffee that I made myself here in the cabin, I am sitting here in my P.J. nibbling Strawberries. Juremar our Butler knew we really liked the Strawberries so he brought us this huge plate last night. I am not sure if I mentioned the large fruit bowl and the fruit in it is picture perfect and extremely good.

There is truly a difference all over the ship with the crew compared to Princess where we found most to not be nearly as friendly as HAL yet this is equal to if not even better than HAL in so many ways. So many of the crew remember our names and our greating us by name. The Suite Life on NCL is truly Sweet. Like I mentioned when I first started writing a few days ago that most of this would be comparing HAL Suites to NCL Suite and Suite Life. Before Tom took off to go to the Garden Café aka Lido to HAL people he and I were discussing some of the differences. NCL definitely knows how to treat ALL of their Suite passengers. There is that difference that it is definitely above and beyond which is a good thing. They do it in a way that is far from intrusive yet they anticipate every need you may want and accommodate it before you even would need to ask. The other very nice thing is that while we are traveling with Nick and Brad and Frank and Michelle they are including them with many things for us. Over all there is just a attentiveness that you definitely do not feel in a HAL Suite . No don’t get me wrong there have been many times I have felt like a Princess ( and not Princess cruise lines:D)on a few HAL cruises specifically our 30 Year Anniversary Cruise but a lot of that came from the Hotel Manager at the time who also because a very good friend and still is. There is just a total feeling that it is far Superior on NCL. I have to admit from everything I had read on Cruise Critic prior I had this feeling this was the case but to actually feel it yourself is another story.

This morning we received a message from Ryan our Concierge that the Captain has invited us to come up to the Bridge this afternoon and inviting our friends to come with us. Of course we said yes, the cruise addict I am is always interested in doing this.

Well, I probably did not write anything nore this morning than I have posted already but it was just relaxing writing, sipping extremely good coffee and watching the wake out the balcony. Tom and I both keep saying we are not going to want to get off the ship. We absolutely love the ship and the crew and this cabin.

Tonight’s show is Sea Legs, A Showgirl Revue and it is also White Hot Dance Party Night. Tomorrow night we are all doing the Murder Mystery Dinner.

I guess I will head up to the Thermal Suite for an hour or two.

Signing off from where I am FREE to do Whatever on the NCL Pearl.:)

Hi, great review so far. Just off the Pearl as you were boarding and agree that it is a wonderful ship filled with wonderful staff. Do go to the White Hot Party-it was really a blast although a little loud. Danced our heads off and enjoyed watching everyone whenever we were too tired to dance! CD Andy was the live of the party!

Wish I was still on the Pearl with you:rolleyes:

Tuesday April 27, 2010

OK I am not quite correct technically it is Wed. April 28th at 12:20 AM but since I have not written my Final review today we will say it is Tuesday April 27th.

Although I am going to mnake it brief and will more than likely go into more detail tomorrow. Basically we were just out having too much fun.

This afternoon we went to the Latitudes Party since this is our 2nd NCL cruise. It was very nice and was viery similar to what HAL use to do before they got the bright idea for the Mariner Lunch. As you might know I am not a big fan of the Mariner Brunch and after you have been to 3 or 4 and 5 it gets too be too much of the same thing with a lunch that is not that great that takes up too much time out of my few Sea days. The Latitudes Party is pretty much like the way HAL use to do the Mariner Cocktail Party. Which I much prefer. This is held at 1:15 in the Spinnaker which is an area pretty much the same as the Crow’s Nest.

OK, I am realizing that I am just not going to finish this writing this evening. I guess I am just a bit too worned out between, dinner, the show and closing down the White Hot Party this evening and just a few Mojitos. So for right now I am going to sign off.

Signing off from the Norwegian Pearl while she is making her way to Astoria,OR

Lisa, I have to ask a pointed question: do you think you'd love it as much if were just you and Tom rather than having friends with you? I, also am a HAL (quiet) cheerleader, but just booked an NCL Sun cruise because we live close to Canaveral and it's an easy drive. I ask this because when you are traveling with friends everything is different than if just the 2 of you, I think.

I hope we enjoy NCL as much as you are.:o I hope we didn't make a mistake not booking HAL.

I have to say that a 'just the two of you' cruise surprised me. We had always cruised with another couple or a big group, except for our honeymoon. We took a last minute get a way on the Spirit a little over a year ago and loved it! We just got an inside cabin (one that backs up to the atrium) and loved how central it was. We met friends from CC and did some excursions with them, had a great CC M&G, and didn't run out of things to say to each otherr the whole week! What a great time we had, even without a thermal suite as on the Pearl.

Honestly, I like cruising with other friends. I am putting together a cruise to Alaska on the Pearl for several other couples in May of '12 and having a ball planning it. Our group is 'six cabins' large now and will probably grow before we sail. Just looking at all the excursions has been so much fun (I know they will probably change a bit before then).

We are also trying to talk my sister and BIL into the Epic for Euorpe in '11. Is that a mistake? To experience the Epic (SO much to do/see) AND Europe (SO much we want to do/see) in the same week could be overwhelming!

Keep posting, Lisa. I am loving it!

Lisa, I have to ask a pointed question: do you think you'd love it as much if were just you and Tom rather than having friends with you? I, also am a HAL (quiet) cheerleader, but just booked an NCL Sun cruise because we live close to Canaveral and it's an easy drive. I ask this because when you are traveling with friends everything is different than if just the 2 of you, I think.

I hope we enjoy NCL as much as you are.:o I hope we didn't make a mistake not booking HAL.

I am wondering the same thing. We are thinking of cancelling our Noordam cruise:( and booking NCL Gem out of New York. With the difference in price of air fare and booking a hotel, we can give ourselves a very good upgrade. Also none of the hassles we had when returning from our last trip. Sitting in a very full airport for 12+ hours is not my idea of ending a vacation.

Good Morning from rainy Astoria, Oregon.

OK just where is this week going? OMG I cannot believe that today is Wednesday. We actually had no plans for today and thought we might just get off the ship grab a taxi into town and see what we could find but with it pouring rain we may just stay on board the ship have lunch in Cagney’s relax and read.

Sorry about last night, I was downright pooped out. Yesterday was a busy day for a Sea Day. I am not so sure what all I have wrote about the Mojitos may have made things a bit fuzzy.

OK I think I told you I went back to the Spa in the morning, love that place. Even with the Rockin and Rollin we had yesterday morning it was still great. By the time a got cleaned up for the Spa it was time for the Latitudes Party which again was really nice. The said that our party was the second one for the week they had one on Sunday as well because of so many Latitude members on board. After the party we went to the Garden Café aka Lido for HAL people and enjoyed a light lunch. I had chicken noodle soup and a piece roasted chicken and a piece of pizza. That was difference because it had nuts on it. After lunch we went to the shops I was jealous tom purchased a couple of NCL sweat shirts and I wanted some type of logo wear. I was able to find a NCL ladies golf shirt that did fit so purchased that but I am thinking I might buy myself an NCL Sweatshirt as well. I do wish that NCL had better merchandise, they could sell a lot more things with a bit better selection but then HAL often has the same problems.

After shopping we headed back to our cabin which BTW has been called the Satan Suite by our little group and I have been jokingly called Lucifer of which they have been calling me Lucy J I attempted to read but fell asleep. I never ever take naps but somehow cruising is just such hard work ;-)

We (the group) had dinner reservations at Indigo last night at 6:30, this was Tom’s and my first time eating in the non premium restaurant for dinner on an NCL ship. It was OK, one of the things they are trying to do a bit differently for this sailing is to basically have the menu the same every night in both Indigo and Summer Palace with the exception of a recommended choice of the day. This way it might force passengers to try some of the alternative restaurants. Per Denis the Hotel Director each sailing is a bit different, this sailing is a large percentage of those that came on board and are not planning on spending any extra money. Where they have had some sailings that the alternative restaurants are packed. I think from past years they expected this from the Pacific Coastal repositioning cruise. I personally think the best way to really enjoy NCL is to try a different restaurant every night and the extra cost I consider in advance part of the cruise cost.

After dinner we headed to the show called Sea Legs. I know I have mentioned this before but the talent a caliber of the talent and shows in my opinion is definitely far superior to both HAL and Princess. The only thing Princess had was a larger stage over HAL. We never go to the shows on HAL any longer unless Joel Mason is performing. After the show we headed up to the White Hot Party. NCL does a great job of getting people of ALL ages to have fun. Of course their Entertainment Staff under the Cruise Director is much larger but it is truly all about having a good time. As you know we about closed the place down and both Michelle and I danced but not with our husbands instead we got Nick to take us out to the dance floor.

While I am thinking about it that I forgot to mention yesterday when I posted about some differences in HAL to NCL is some of the things found in the Suites. Both line have Elemis Products but there are such things as a nice jar of Bath Salts on the bath tub, a loofa mitt (SP?) the slippers are very nice they make HAL’s look like the flimsy kind you get when you go get a pedicure. Seriously the quality is so far above, same with the robes and the HUGE bath towels. The amenities in the Suite definitely far exceed that of HAL. We have had a tray of goodies brought to us even afternoon, yesterday was chocolate covered strawberries that were amazing. I have to admit NCL definitely knows how to take care of their Suite passengers.

Another thing NCL has the right idea about is with the Future Cruise Consultant and Future Cruise Credit. They do not try to sell you a specific they instead sell you a Future Cruise Deposit. The cost is $250.00 but you get a $100 instant on board credit. The future cruise deposit is good for 4 years and is good for the deposit of the cabin not based on number of passengers. They make it easy and payless to do this. Of course I purchased one ;-)

Another thing that I think NCL does much better is the photos to purchase. They are from the same company that HAL used many years ago. We actually spoke to a gal last night that use to work on the Oosterdam back in 2005 to 2007. The quality of the photos are far superior and I have already taken a peek at some of them and plan to buy a few. I never buy photos any more, as a matter of fact the last photo on a ship I bought was on our 2 day NCL Star I purchased the Embarkation photo because we took our son.

Well I am thinking I have caught you up on where we are for now, it may have stopped raining but still not sure we will go into town yet. Tonight Brad and Nick, Frank and Michelle and myself are going to do the Murder Mystery Dinner which sounds like a lot of fun. Tom is not one to do things like that so he is more than happy to go to Cagney’s by himself.

Signing off from Astoria Oregon on the “Do What Ever” NCL Pearl.

Lisa-

Sadly your Pearl adventure is about to end in just a few days...but gladly mine is about to begin. How come those days will rush by for you, but take forever for me???

She's a great ship with a better crew!

Really enjoying your review and all the positive things you are saying about NCL. DH and I will be on the Star next month. It will be our first time on NCL and the first time in a suite. We have been on Carnival 3X and Celebrity 1X.

Have a question if you don't mind. What brand of cosmetics do they carry in their gift store? If it is Clinique would you mind checking the price on two items, Repairwear Intensive Night Cream and the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream. Thanks.

I have been on both and love both cruise lines. I'm sure you will have a good time. More than likely my next cruise will be on the Sun as Port Canaveral is less than 2 hours from my home. Of course I have to keep the Dentist from taking my cruise fund:(

Which is a better way to spend money, replacing a crown, (who needs them anyway) or going on a cruise. Everybody NEEDS to cruise:D

OK Let’s see where did I leave off,…..

After the Spa Tour we did some more exploring of the ship and yes there are definitely some differences from the Star and those differences are actually very nice improvements. I thought the shops lay out was very nice but unfortunately did not find the merchandise they offer that great. They even had all their Alaska clothing out which I expected but NCL’s clothing line is…. Well how can I put it…Cheap looking and the t-shirts that say large look like petite small. I know that was the case when we were on the Star. I like purchase Logo wear but I need it to fit to appreciate it ;) I need it to fit to appreciate it. So now why I did not check out all the shops, I still need to go check out the one in the Atrium area that has cosmetics I am going to state that of the three cruise lines PCL, NCL and HAL Princess wins hands down. They own and operate their own shops and they had have items to sell that appeal to everyone with great prices and excellent quality. NCL is operated by Dufrey and Columbian Emeralds and while they may do better in the European market I think they missed the boat totally on what Americans and Canadians would purchase. Then there is HALwhich is operated by a company that has most of the Cruise Lines shops which can be hit or miss with items but at least the sizing of clothing usually always fits.Well, At least I know I will be saving a lot of money this way because Tom could not find anything either and always likes to buy a shirt. Although I am sure he will keep looking.

We also checked out the Bliss Lounge, Oh MY……:eek: We had some laughes in their and I played model laying down lounging. Now I am not sure if Frank is going to black mail me with these photos.

It was then time for Life Boat aka Must Drill, it seems all the cruise lines are loosening up the requirements for this.Last time on the Star it was the same as our last HAL in that we were outside on the deck in our Life Boat section wearing our Life Vests which was just like HAL except it seemed a bit longer. HAL no longer requires you bring your Life Vest and neither does NCL. Our Life Boat section was actually in the Summer Palace. Excpet for getting everyone there it was extremely quick and painless.

After Life Boat Drill we headed up to our cabin, to my amzament it was not that hard to grab an elevator, not like on HAL and Princess. Which BTW reminds me the age demographics is very mixed with equal parts young, Senior and those of us inbetween. I do really like that.

Once back in our cabin we unpacked although my suit case had not yet arrived so Tom got a head start. Now the interesting thing is the Walk Thru Closet, No not Walk in but Walk thru you can open the closet fro either side. That did make it easy for hanging things up when you are both unpacking.

We hosted a little Sail Away Party In our cabin for the 6 of us which was Fun with lots of laughes. It was almost 6 when the phone rang that the Teppanyaki was not having a 6 PM seating but they could accommodate us at 7:00 PM so we said that was fine. So we sat around talking a bit longer than at almost 7 ran down to the Lotus Garden area. The 6 of us had our own Table and we actually had a fantastic time. The food was wonderful, we all had Shrimp Michelle had the Shrimp and Scallops and the rest had the Filet with Shrimp. I think we all agreed that was the nperfect start to the great 7 days. The food was so good and I know that none of us walked away hungry. I really think it is so worth the $25.00 per person.

We then headed off to the show which was the “NEW Welcome Aboard Show” This is kind of a tid bit of the upcoming acts with a bit of Talk Show thrown in. Very entertaining. Just from the tidbits it is again obvious that NCL is so above HAL and Princess in entertainments. It is kind of like going to a Cirque show like “O” in Vegas and saying Oh MY!!!! Very very talented. But then I have been saying for years that HAL should get rid of Stilletto or spend more money to get better talent. I will say that there was a dance last night that I swear use to work for HAL and I saw her on the Oosterdam a few times.

After the show (late show) we all were tired from our long day and called it a night.

Ahhhh yes, I can now tell you a bit about this morning.

We slept wonderfully last night, definitely nice beds in the Suites and there is nothing better than sleeping on the ship especially in the aft. Now the only problem was that middle of the night wake up when you have to go to the bathroom and you are half asleep. On HAL in our favorite corner aft or even the S Suites I basically knew how many steps to the bathroom and where to step up into it. OK I really had to get my head together to figure this one out lol so I am thinking NCL but the problem is from the last time in November the Toilet was on the other side in the bathroom. But never fear I figured it out before it was too late ;)

This morning is absolutely amazing, we both slept in till about 8 and opened up the slider to our balcony wake view and it is warm, I mean really warm and if I did not know better I would swear we were heading to Mexico .This has got to be the most perfect ever aft cabin. There is no wind back there, the sun is shining and the sound of the wake sounds like you are sitting on the beach. I am sitting here in my P.J’s sipping great coffee from the coffee maker that is a bit like my Keurig with the slider wide open, writing here at the table getting down right warm from the sun on my back. I think my ankle has already gotten sun burnt. I have to admit this is about has perfect as it can get. OK it did take me a couple of tries with the coffee maker, the first cup I made ended up being tea which Tom drank but the second cup I made was coffee but I had to stop it so it would not over flow. :D

Tom has headed off with book in hand and was going to go have breakfast in Cagneys I wanted to finish this and then head to the Spa. Although I really would enjoy one more cup of coffee and just sit and enjoy the absolute wonder wake balcony.

I will admit here I am going to be very bad, we have a HUGE Roll Call and while I have not been extremely active I have posted frequently but the Meet and Greet is at 11:00 today. It is just a very bad time for me, it breaks up the day in a bad way, If it would have been much later in the afternoon I would have gone but with wanting to go to the Spa Thermal Suite and after that needing to come back and get showered up and ready for the day it just does not work. So unfortunately I will not make it. I do think that Brad and Nick were going to try to go so they can say “Hi” for Tom and I. But hey I am on NCL and like it says in the Free Style Daily……OK, we know this looks like a schedule (gasp!) But, remember, your free to Whatever!!! I like that, and that is what I am going to do J

Well, let me get this posted, grab my Swim Suit because I hear the Thermal Suite calling me.

Signing off from the Free Styling NCL Pearl. :)

Very Disappointed you didn't make it to the Meet N Greet. I kept asking around for ya. After all the chatting on the board i found it odd you couldnt make it.

Maybe we met in the thermal suite. I cut my time short there to get to the meet and greet, but it was worth it.

I am in Astoria now, see you in the spa, spend several hours there this morning before going offshore.

I will read your whole thread when i get back and see your take of this 7 day cruise.

Too bad Sharkbait wont be onboard.

The Captain is a very funny man. Went to his Q & A and also met him at Latitudes party.

Good Afternoon from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl,

We have just returned from going into town. Yes the rain has continued on and off and it is a bit cold but we have on what we would wear in Alaska on a cruise. I even have my water proof jacket with me that still has a HAL tour sticker on it. At thepier they are ofering shuttles that for $7.00 per person you can get on and off the shuttle bus as often as you like. There are also little tents set up by the pier with arts and crafts from local vendors. I actually found a cute necklace that is made out of some type of stone locally by an artist. We purchased the tickets for the shuttle as it started to rain once again and took the bus into town. It left us off at the Liberty Theater whicch has been newly restored from when it was built in 1925. We walked a block to have lunch in the quaint electic but elegant restaurant called the Silver Salmon. Tom had Fresh Hailbut Fish and Chips ans I had this very tasty fresh Pamesean and Herb Encrusted Salmon. Then for Dessert Tom had a Strawberry Cheescake that he thought was better than the Cheesecake Factory and I had the Moisenberry Yogurt Custard Parfait thingy that was equally as good. Definitely an excellent choice for lunch. While we were eating we saw Frank and Michelle walk in but they did not see us because they seated them in another rooom. We went over to talk with them and they too had just finished to we walked out with them and walked over to the Liberty Theater to walk around. They wanted to look at a few more shops and we were ready to head back to the Pearl so we grabbed the next shuttle which does come every 5 to 10 minutes.

We are now back on board and I am just writing a few quick notes and plan to do some readying. I thought about heading to the Spa but think today will be a day I miss it.

Something I totally forgot to write about was our Invite to Tour the Bridge. This was the third time we have been to a Bridge of the Ship the first was several years ago on the Oosterdam, another was just in January this year when we did the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Crown Princess and then yesterday. I actually like the set up of the Pearl’s Bridge of course I have no sea sailing experience but it just seemed the different areas were nautically user friendly and I like the way the windows are in the center from the where the Officers sit. Captain Sverre Sovdsnes himself actually gave us the tour and demonstrated a few of the screens used by his Officers.

OK I now think we are caught up, we are lounging in the cabin, watching the Seals playing in the Harbor. I think I will do some reading fro about 30 minutes before I need to get ready for the Murder Mystery Dinner.

Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Pearl

I'm not clear on the dinners in the main dining rooms.....are you saying that they have the same menu every night in Indigo and the same menu every night in Summer Palace? As opposed to different entreés every night?

Or did you mean that the menus in the two restaurants match eachother every night? Sorry.....just trying to get an idea for our Pearl cruise next month.

I'm not clear on the dinners in the main dining rooms.....are you saying that they have the same menu every night in Indigo and the same menu every night in Summer Palace? As opposed to different entreés every night?

Or did you mean that the menus in the two restaurants match eachother every night? Sorry.....just trying to get an idea for our Pearl cruise next month.

I can't comment on the differences between Summer Palace and Indigo, but I think they have the same menu each night. Each night the right side of the menu is exactly the same as every other night. It is a set menu that is always available with 5-6 starters, 6-7 main courses and 4-5 desserts. The left side of the menu changes each night. That side offers 2-3 starters, 3 main courses and 2-3 desserts. I hope that clarifies.:)

I can't comment on the differences between Summer Palace and Indigo, but I think they have the same menu each night. Each night the right side of the menu is exactly the same as every other night. It is a set menu that is always available with 5-6 starters, 6-7 main courses and 4-5 desserts. The left side of the menu changes each night. That side offers 2-3 starters, 3 main courses and 2-3 desserts. I hope that clarifies.:)

Thanks. That's different than when we were on the Sun a couple of years ago.

Archived