what are cruise credits and why buy them?

jessegirl88

Are you talking about onboard credit? If so, you don't buy these for yourself. These are given, often by the cruise line itself either as a rebate for a reduced fare, or perhaps an incentive to buy the cruise. I've also had this given to me as a gift.

For example, I was booked on the Liberty of the Seas for April, 2011, out of Miami. But this was cancelled -- the ship is moving to Europe. So, I was given the option of booking another cruise and getting $200 onboard credit per cabin as an incentive to not just ask for a refund.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a silly question:

But, what are cruise credits and why do people buy them? Are you getting more for your money?

Thanks

Yes, if you purchase a future cruise credit while onboard a cruise, you get them for $100 per person, plus you receive shipboard credit in return (amount based on your type of cabin and length of the next cruise you book). The $100 per person booking is your TOTAL deposit for your next cruise also.

Once onboard, you can purchase a future cruise package. For $100, you can purchase a future cruise with Princess. You then use this $100 as your deposit on your next cruise. Also, Princess gives an onboard credit depending on type of cabin and length of cruise. You can have up to 4 years to use.

But, what are cruise credits and why do people buy them? Are you getting more for your money?
No such thing as a "silly" question but I have to admit that I've never heard of anyone buying a "cruise credit." You can receive an onboard credit (OBC) from your TA as an incentive to book with them or as a reward if you own 100 shares of Carnival LLC stock. If you've been on a cruise and buy a "future cruise credit" (FCC), you get an OBC automatically when you book a cruise using the credit. Is this what you're talking about? If so, buying a FCC is a terrific deal. You pay a $100 deposit for either a specific cruise or an unknown future cruise and you have four years to use that credit (deposit.) When you book a cruise with the FCC, that's your deposit unless you've booked a world cruise. You don't pay anything more as a deposit even if the cruise is a $5,000 one. Plus, you get an OBC of between $25 - $100, depending on the cabin category you book.

There was a recent change in the Princess policy for booking with an FCC. It used to be that as long as one person with an FCC booked the cabin, the other person in the cabin paid only $100 deposit as well. Now, each person must use an FCC to get the $100 deposit.

I think buying an FCC is a great idea; I always have two in hand so I can book the itinerary and cabin I want without stressing over how much the deposit would be.

Are you talking about onboard credit? If so, you don't buy these for yourself. These are given, often by the cruise line itself either as a rebate for a reduced fare, or perhaps an incentive to buy the cruise. I've also had this given to me as a gift.

Jim, you actually can buy an On Board Cruise Credit for yourself, just like a friend or family or travel agency can buy one for a Booked guest.

A) On Board Credit can be purchased by you, a family member or friend to be credited to your On Board account applied to a current Booking number. You may use it anyway you see fit: tips, drinks, gambling, purchases, etc. Your travel agent or Princess Personal Travel consultant can assist with the purchase. All one needs is your active Booking Number.

B) Future Cruise Credit: these are purchased by the Cruiser once on-board a Princess ship. Cost is $100 per person which is immediately charged to your on-board Sign & Sail account. You can either choose an exact Future cruise sailing while on-board or just elect to use the Future Cruise Credit as your deposit within 4 years on another Princess Cruise booking. Not only do you get a lower minimum deposit for your cruise no matter what the normal deposit rate would be, but you will get an additional On Board Credit of up to $200 depending on the length of the new cruise and the category of the cabin. Example, I just sailed on a 14 night cruise using my FCC and we each received (1st & 2nd passengers) a $100 on board credit = $200 free.

The cruise line has your money but does reward you kindly with this additional credit.

I think buying an FCC is a great idea; I always have two in hand so I can book the itinerary and cabin I want without stressing over how much the deposit would be.

We had two each on hand, and ended up booking a third cruise before we had a chance to get an OBC. Nearly broke my heart not to get the benefits of paying for the FCC on board.:(

[i quote=Pam in CA;24203424]No such thing as a "silly" question but I have to admit that I've never heard of anyone buying a "cruise credit." You can receive an onboard credit (OBC) from your TA as an incentive to book with them or as a reward if you own 100 shares of Carnival LLC stock. If you've been on a cruise and buy a "future cruise credit" (FCC), you get an OBC automatically when you book a cruise using the credit. Is this what you're talking about? If so, buying a FCC is a terrific deal. You pay a $100 deposit for either a specific cruise or an unknown future cruise and you have four years to use that credit (deposit.) When you book a cruise with the FCC, that's your deposit unless you've booked a world cruise. You don't pay anything more as a deposit even if the cruise is a $5,000 one. Plus, you get an OBC of between $25 - $100, depending on the cabin category you book.

There was a recent change in the Princess policy for booking with an FCC. It used to be that as long as one person with an FCC booked the cabin, the other person in the cabin paid only $100 deposit as well. Now, each person must use an FCC to get the $100 deposit.

I think thay are great { each person can buy them]

I don't think I understand this statement. Can you try explaining that again? Thanks so much. Oh, and I asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too - the deposit made with an FCC - it is refundable if for some crazy reason you CAN'T go within the 4 year time frame?

I don't think I understand this statement. Can you try explaining that again? Thanks so much. Oh, and I asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too - the deposit made with an FCC - it is refundable if for some crazy reason you CAN'T go within the 4 year time frame?

If you do not use the FCC withion the four years, it will be refunded to the credit card it was charged to.

Plus, you get an OBC of between $25 - $100, depending on the cabin category you book.

OBC is between $25 and $150 per person depending on inside/outside and length of cruise.

Each person must use an FCC in his/her own name in order to get the OBC.

...There was a recent change in the Princess policy for booking with an FCC. It used to be that as long as one person with an FCC booked the cabin, the other person in the cabin paid only $100 deposit as well. Now, each person must use an FCC to get the $100 deposit.

Is this correct?? I know both people have to use a FCC if they both want to get the OBC, but I thought if just one used a FCC, only one OBC would be issued, but the second person in the cabin could still just pay a $100 deposit and not get the OBC.

What is really correct?

I was disappointed when I booked a cruise for myself and my husband, and our FCC's

were applied....200 for deposit and 200 for OBC. He decided not to go, and DD is going

with me. As soon as the name was changed, off went the OBC. It's still sitting in his

name.....I guess I can buy one on my upcoming cruise, which will give us each one

again.

OK. This applies to getting an FCC and not using it right away to book a cruise. Let's say both you and your husband bought an FCC for each of you on a previous cruise. You see an upcoming itinerary you'd like to book but you want to use just one FCC for the cabin and keep the other one for another cruise. Previously, you were able to use the one FCC and pay just a $100 deposit for your DH when you booked. Now, in order to pay just $100/pp deposit, you must use an FCC for each person. Otherwise, you would pay the standard deposit amount (20% of the total cost of the cruise? something like that). Does that make sense now?

If, for some crazy reason, you can't use your FCC within four years, it's refundable.

I bought cruise credits about 2 weeks before sailing last year and got a fab deal. At the time the US / UK exchange rate was around £1 = $1.5 but princess exchange rate was £1 = $2, i purchased enough to cover the 2 cabins normal on board cruise spend and saved a fortune. Will be looking at doing this again this year dependant on the rate princess offer us UK cruisers.

In addition to the "free money" (extra $100 each in OBC), I like the fact that I didn't have to pay Princess ANY deposit or make any payment until final payment was due. When you book a year in advance, it's nice not to tie up $2,000 for over a year in a no interest loan to Princess. In the mean time, you have the advantage of getting all price reductions if you book the actual cruise early and protect yourself against price increases. It makes booking early risk free and gives you choice of cabin. Worse comes to worst, you can always get your money (what ever the small $100 investment) back. We are onboard this summer. My cruise after that will probably NOT be a Princess one. But I'll buy the FCCs because odds are strong we'll be on Princess in the next five years.

Another way to obtain on board credits is the Princess Rewards VISA card. Points can be redeemed for on board credit, reduced air fare, and other perks. Points can add up fast if you use it to pay for your cruise and air, especially since they give double points when used for Princess purchases. We also use it on board and thus start building up points for the next cruise. Of course, it's best not to carry a balance, so we always pay it off at the first billing.

I was disappointed when I booked a cruise for myself and my husband, and our FCC's

were applied....200 for deposit and 200 for OBC. He decided not to go, and DD is going

with me. As soon as the name was changed, off went the OBC. It's still sitting in his

name.....I guess I can buy one on my upcoming cruise, which will give us each one

again.

The FCC can only be used by the person who name is on it.

The FCC can only be used by the person who name is on it.

I don't see it mentioned up above, but if you own at least 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock, you get an OBC of $75, $100 or $250 depending on the length of the cruise.

Yes, Pam, I believe I get it now. Is the purchase of a FCC limited to one per person per cruise, or one per stateroom per cruise, or are there no limits on the purchase of FCCs?
I don't think there are limits and you purchase them per person. They can only be purchased for someone actually on the sailing, i.e., if your next cruise is with your sister and she's not on your cruise, you can't purchase an FCC for her.

Archived