RCCL are you kidding me? $35?

As my postal deliver said to me the other day...I love all the travel brochures you receive, it keeps me in a job.....

Going Green is nothing new...every few years it is just presented in a different way. We have had Earth Day since I was a child.

This is simple cost cutting by RCI, with almost every traveling household having a PC the timimg is right.

But here is my question for those that like e-docs how many of you bring a case of bottled water on the ship?

Paper can be recycled just like plastic.....infact where I live in CA we pay 10 dollars a month to have the city recycled for us, we also pay(CRV) 5-10 cents for every can, bottle, plastic or glass that we purchase with a beverage,except juice in it. I can take the cans/bottles in to get redeemed, but if I chose to put them in my recycle bin on pick up day and if someone one comes and removes my recyclables and is caught, they can be fined, why? because the city loses out on revenue.

Sorry I don't hug trees anymore, but I still do my part for the environment unfortunately, but it has all become big business to me.

I like the e-docs better. On our first 3 cruises, we were sent booklets. I prefer to save the edocs on my computer, in my "cruising" folder. I can understand why a lot of folks like the booklets too. Oh well, just like everything else, change happens! Happy cruising everyone. :)

Just a quick FYI.....There are more trees planted annually than harveted.

Information you will not find on the evening news or from your politicians since it does nto suit their objectives.

Do some research, come away amazed at how falsehoods are spread so easily.

Hint: I am in the print industry....yup, I am an evil paper lover!

Just a quick FYI.....There are more trees planted annually than harveted.

Information you will not find on the evening news or from your politicians since it does nto suit their objectives.

Do some research, come away amazed at how falsehoods are spread so easily.

Hint: I am in the print industry....yup, I am an evil paper lover!

I'm still not convinced that's true (I tried to look it up, but didn't find any good sources, and you've offered no source to back up your claim). But even if it's true, "harvested" is a bit of a weasel word to reduce to a subset of the total number of trees cut down each year, and there are other problems, too. Cutting down a bunch of mature trees and replacing them with little saplings of fast-growing trees is not always an even trade. Some logging is done more sustainably than others, but it's not always all that rosey. But there is also a lot more that goes into paper-making than just a tree. There is a lot of energy used and a lot of chemicals used in the pulping and finishing processes.

I'm not anti-paper, but I am anti-waste.

Its not $35 becuase it costs them that much, its $35 because they dont want to do it anymore and they figure if they put an outrageous price tag on it most of the people will choose electronic. I dont bother printing anymore, I never need them and they just get thrown out anyway.

Bingo!!

As was I before retiring. :)

Totally OT, but is there really a Packers cruise??? BF would love this! He wears his Driver shirt every day. :)

As for this thread, I just printed out my docs at work since I was too excited to wait until I got home and I can do double sided printing at work. I imagine most people who book cruises have access to the internet, but we can't assume everyone does. Not everyone fills out the SetSail pass online before they go. You don't have to, I don't think.

Even printing and binding them myself would cost less than $35. Like others have said, I'd rather them spend the money on something useful if this is something most of us can do ourselves. The option is available--you can still get them mailed to you--you just have to pay. It's like other amenities they offer.

Its not $35 becuase it costs them that much, its $35 because they dont want to do it anymore and they figure if they put an outrageous price tag on it most of the people will choose electronic. I dont bother printing anymore, I never need them and they just get thrown out anyway.

Agree with reason for that price...also since they are only produced at a lesser rate than before it actually probably costs more per production than before.

I am in the same boat when it comes to my need or lack thereof for the whole book. Luggage tags are nice but are easily secured at the port and Set Sail pass is printed off at home anyhow...

Totally OT, but is there really a Packers cruise??? BF would love this! He wears his Driver shirt every day. :)

Yes there is. Our next one is Freedom Of The Seas next Feb. You can click on the Cruising Memories link in my sig for what little info is available so far and pics from previous cruises. :)

Back to topic, what if you just wanted them to print out your luggage tags?

Yes there is. Our next one is Freedom Of The Seas next Feb. You can click on the Cruising Memories link in my sig for what little info is available so far and pics from previous cruises. :)

Back to topic, what if you just wanted them to print out your luggage tags?

I think I got myself in trouble. I showed BF your pictures and he wants to go. I'm a die-hard Bears fan (sorry!) but it looks fun.

Just request the tags online. I got quite excited when I got them in the mail!

I totally get RCCL trying to save money, trees, time, etc....but I can understand the original poster...getting your cruise docs is a part of the cruise vacation moment....it is ridiculous to charge $35...and it is even crazier to tell me that I requested electronic...if they are going to do electronic, then do it...but don't try to insult my intelligence and don't give paper for some and electronic for others...make it universal.

I think I got myself in trouble. I showed BF your pictures and he wants to go. I'm a die-hard Bears fan (sorry!) but it looks fun.

Just request the tags online. I got quite excited when I got them in the mail!

Hey we have been known to be nice to Bear fans!:rolleyes: We're there to party! Actually we had a Bears fan in our group a couple months ago. His DW is the Packer fan. You can email Donna and tell her Jeff sent you if you want on her list or you can PM me your email if you want to be on my list for update.

I think it is neat having printed bag tags sent to you as it means time for sailing is almost here!:cool:

I totally get RCCL trying to save money, trees, time, etc....but I can understand the original poster...getting your cruise docs is a part of the cruise vacation moment....it is ridiculous to charge $35...and it is even crazier to tell me that I requested electronic...if they are going to do electronic, then do it...but don't try to insult my intelligence and don't give paper for some and electronic for others...make it universal.

I posted this info in March regarding the new edoc and luggage tag program that became effective in February. For those interested in the details, here is a portion of the email I received, noting that if you made your individual booking prior to 3/3/10 and there is a guest or agency mailing address as an alternate address in the booking prior to 3/3/10, it will be grandfathered in to receive printed documents without the $35 fee:

"North America Travel Partners, currently registered as eDoc agencies, will start receiving the new and improved eDoc on in late February, 2010. For all other North America Travel partners, the Royal Caribbean eDoc program will launch on or after 3/3/10. All documents issued on or after 3/3/10 will generate eDocs as the default format for guest travel documentation. This includes all existing bookings (groups, individuals & charters) made prior to 3/3/10 and all new bookings made on or after 3/3/10. Printed documents are available upon request for all existing bookings made prior to 3/3/10 and all new bookings made on or after 3/3/10 for a fee of $35 per Royal Caribbean International document.

Please note, individual bookings made prior to 3/3/10 that have a guest or agency mailing address added as an alternate address in the booking prior to 3/3/10, will be grandfathered in to receive complimentary printed documents. Group bookings do not apply.

This personalized, interactive, web-based format offers guests all the information they need prior to their cruise, including Travel Agency contact details, information on Shore Excursion choices, various onboard offerings available during the guests' particular cruise, travel and documentation instructions, and much more. Once the booking has been finalized, eDocs will be issued as early as 49 days prior to sailing."

I hope this helps. :)

Lets take a look at this, RCCL has 22 ships, lets say with average of 2800 guests. Lets say all thier ships did a 7 day voyage (I know some do 10 and 11 but you also have the 3, 4 and 5 day to average out to 7 days) thats 1400 booklets mailed out weekly per ship, times 22 ships = 31,000 booklets a WEEK!!:eek:

Now take that times 52 weeks = a whooping 1,612,000 booklets a year. 1,612,000 Booklets a year, come on folks, any business that can save that much paper, labor and postage is going too.

Im not much of a green person myself but that a lot of waste, we all throw em away, some get recycled some dont. Anybody who says they grow tress so we can print RCCL booklets is crazy!!!!:rolleyes:

Now lets take that time 10 cruise lines, You got it, 16,210,000 books. Yikes!

By the way if you watch any of the logging shows on history channel and discovery you would know that there are more trees now than ever before. Killing a tree especially a dead one that is a fire hazard and causes more good timber to burn than anything else a reality. I laugh at people who think they are green by not using paper, yet they use electricity which is much worse. Stop with this fake green hoax please.

Lets face it, it is not saving a tree it is RCI wants to save more money. For us it is the sail pass & getting the luggage tags we do not need the booklets anymore. It use to be different when years ago when your tickets were attached in the book. But since the computer age your tickets in the booklet are obselete.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i got my "edocs" and I printed them out, 28 pages of crap!, so i killed a tree and I didnt even get excited about printing them out like I do when i get them in the mail. I do not like the edocs!!!

ok so i got my "edocs" and I printed them out, 28 pages of crap!, so i killed a tree and I didnt even get excited about printing them out like I do when i get them in the mail. I do not like the edocs!!!

Why print them out? Most of it is a listing of excursions. (not only did you kill a tree but you wasted all that ink)

Archived