RCCL are you kidding me? $35?

My favorite part of planning a cruise is when i receive the cruise docs in the mail. It excites me. So I go on line yesterday and notice that my up coming June cruise says that I chose to receive them electronically. Oh what a little mistake I thought. So I switch it to receive them by mail and a $35 charge appears! What the hell costs them $35 to print this out and mail it to me? They shouldn't charge me anything but I could understand maybe $5, $10, even $15 but $35? Come on!

My favorite part of planning a cruise is when i receive the cruise docs in the mail. It excites me. So I go on line yesterday and notice that my up coming June cruise says that I chose to receive them electronically. Oh what a little mistake I thought. So I switch it to receive them by mail and a $35 charge appears! What the hell costs them $35 to print this out and mail it to me? They shouldn't charge me anything but I could understand maybe $5, $10, even $15 but $35? Come on!

Welcome to 2010....it's easier to view/print online. You're not saving a tree, but you probably are saving RCCL from paying someone a salary to manage this and also saving on postage.

I agree that $35 is ridiculous, but clearly they have a reason for wanting to switch to electronic only.

Its not $35 becuase it costs them that much, its $35 because they dont want to do it anymore and they figure if they put an outrageous price tag on it most of the people will choose electronic. I dont bother printing anymore, I never need them and they just get thrown out anyway.

I hear what you are saying as I loved to receive them in the mail also :D BUT nothing we can do about it soooooo like Marci said you can always view them online and just print out the setsail pass.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

After you have been on your first cruise do you really read them.....i would guess that 90% of repeat cruisers fished out their set sail pass, and luggage tags and tossed the rest. To me that is a huge waste. I prefer it with electronic delivery....but that is the green in me! :D

really? what tree am i saving when i have to print them out myself?

RCI won't have to put them in an envelope and mail them. The tree you save is the envelope tree.

As others have stated already, none of the papers are needed anyway. Just print your Set Sail Pass. That's all you'll need (paper wise) at the pier to check in.

I believe they send them directly to your TA if you booked with one. My TA always gives us the printed documents, and most importantly, with our luggage tags!!

You can now have your luggage tags sent to you pre=cruise even if you get e-docs. Once your e-docs have been issued, you can go online at RCL at "my cruises", login, and request them. We did this for our December cruise. I've requested them again for our upcoming Oasis cruise. Looking for them to arrive in the mail any day now!

After you have been on your first cruise do you really read them.....i would guess that 90% of repeat cruisers fished out their set sail pass, and luggage tags and tossed the rest. To me that is a huge waste. I prefer it with electronic delivery....but that is the green in me! :D

Me, too! There is nothing essential in those documents, so I hate the thought of the waste in printing and mailing them out. Maybe they should give an option of receiving some kind of "your cruise is getting close" postcard for those people who get excited about receiving something in the mail. They could offer that for a more nominal fee, like $10. :D

Well said, I also remember the thrill of getting those docs in the mail and how that makes the upcoming event seem real, but its today's economy/environment it seems like the right thing to do. It was also fun being the first person in your roll call group to get theirs.

Thats what technology is all about. I agree it is an effort to be green and lessen (if if it is lessen employment) It is true, all you need is your set sail pass-- why not let technology work for you? :D

$35 is high. I agree the price asked is in hopes of reducing those requesting..

We were extremely excited that we could print our boarding pass and luggage tickets ourselves and view the cruise documents when we sailed aboard a Princess cruise two weeks ago. It seemed so much easier and less cumbersome! Glad to see Royal Caribbean doing the same thing.

I'm surprised they still offer to send luggage tags - we had to print our own on Carnival - that will come soon -

Once RCCL started issuing e-docs, we would get luggage tags at the pier and fill in the information in our docs. RCCL would have someone there to tell you what to put on your tags if you didn't know.

When they said we could recieve them in the mail, I figure it's just a minute or two quicker we'll be on the ship. ;)

I actually prefer the e-docs. In the past, I had to wait for the cruise line to send the docs to my TA and then had to wait for my TA to send the docs to me. Now, with a press of a button I have everything I need without the middle man. :)

Archived