Flight to Fairbanks gets in at 1am - what to do then?

MisterBill99

I am looking at booking a cruisetour that leaves out of Fairbanks. I checked flights last night and all of them have me getting into Fairbanks at like 1am (I am traveling from NY). What does one do when you get there at that hour? I tried to change the flight search so I had a stop in Seattle (where I would be changing planes anyway) and it was more expensive that way. The only good news is that since we're flying in from New York, it will seem much later assuming we manage to get some sleep along the way.

I am looking at booking a cruisetour that leaves out of Fairbanks. I checked flights last night and all of them have me getting into Fairbanks at like 1am (I am traveling from NY). What does one do when you get there at that hour? I tried to change the flight search so I had a stop in Seattle (where I would be changing planes anyway) and it was more expensive that way. The only good news is that since we're flying in from New York, it will seem much later assuming we manage to get some sleep along the way.

The only thing I can suggest is that you get yourself to your hotel and get a good night's sleep. As it is your body will be telling you that it is 5am when you arrive due to the 4hour time difference between New York and Alaska.:)

I'd also weigh the extra cost against the advantages of getting to Fairbanks earlier. You might decide it is worth the additional fare.

We booked several months ago and found an 8 am flight out of Boston that, with a change of planes in Seattle, gets us into Fairbanks around 4:30 pm. Since then the fare for that flight has increased astronomically and the last time I checked, there were few, if any, seats still available. Others in our group won't arrive until after10 pm, but even that is preferable to 1am.

I suggest booking a night at the hotel and getting some sleep. I do recommend anyone doing a long flight like from NY to Fairbainks if you possibly can fly in a day earlier and if possible book yourself at the same hotel your tour is at.

This way you have a chance to sleep in, relax, take a shower and walk around and do some exploring on your own and enjoy being in my beatiful state.

I dont live in Fairbanks but thier is lots to do thier, A tour of the University of Alaska Fairbanks even in the summer could be possible and is very interesting. They have lots going on thier and some interesting animals and some greenhouse things.

Anyway thier is lots to do even a day ahead of time and this way people will be well rested for the landtour portion of your tour.

Have a blast, get some bug dope(Mosquito repellent), sunscreen is a must in fairbanks in the summer and enjoy Alaska.

Adri :)

Well, consider an earlier arriving flight, if the late arrival is a concern?? But it sounds like the cost is the priority?

Anyway, with a cruisetour, I always recommend coming in AT LEAST a day early, and two, if possible. Rent a car and get out and see Fairbanks. You see very little with a cruisetour.

Overall, be certain to really make a good cruisetour choice, many are not the best.

If you are arriving only a few hours before your cruise tour departs, you risk missing the beginning of the cruise tour and at the least, starting your tour feeling awful.

Booking a hotel room for the calendar day ahead is what I do when I have a middle of the night arrival. You should do that even if your cruise tour gathers and departs in a few hours.

I've witnessed people sleeping through the first day of their cruise tours. What value is there in that?

Whatever the case, don't worry about anyone being at the airport at 1am. Those are busy hours at both Fairbanks and Anchorage with plenty of flights arriving and departing.

"Busy" at the Fairbanks airport is a relative term ... there are only 3 or 4 gates for arrivals/departures. But the new airport is nicer than the old one!!

When all the visitors are arriving and departing at the same time it can get down right jam packed lolol.

Adri :)

If you are arriving only a few hours before your cruise tour departs, you risk missing the beginning of the cruise tour and at the least, starting your tour feeling awful.
My cruisetour has 2 nights in Fairbanks already and the only event the first day is being transferred to the hotel.

My cruisetour has 2 nights in Fairbanks already and the only event the first day is being transferred to the hotel.

But, what is your arrival time??? If you happen to be getting in in the am- which is rare, than this is a great availablity for some extra sightseeing. :)

But, what is your arrival time??? If you happen to be getting in in the am- which is rare, than this is a great availablity for some extra sightseeing. :)

Apparently the OP is arriving in Fairbanks around 1 am, hence my suggestion that he get to the hotel for a good night's sleep. I may be wrong, but I believe that the first of his two nights in Fairbanks is the night his flight arrives. If not he has three nights there and I think my advice still holds.:)

Frankly I think I would have paid the extra cost to arrive at a more reasonable hour.;)

Apparently the OP is arriving in Fairbanks around 1 am, hence my suggestion that he get to the hotel for a good night's sleep. I may be wrong, but I believe that the first of his two nights in Fairbanks is the night his flight arrives. If not he has three nights there and I think my advice still holds.:)

Frankly I think I would have paid the extra cost to arrive at a more reasonable hour.;)

Well, I am the OP and I ended up booking a northbound cruisetour, so now we end up in Fairbanks. I got a flight out at 5:15pm (the other option was 1am) so now I have to figure out what to do with my extra day there since the cruisetour ends in the morning. We're arriving in Seattle around midnight the first night, but I can get an airport hotel for around $40 on Priceline. This works out much better.

Well, I am the OP and I ended up booking a northbound cruisetour, so now we end up in Fairbanks. I got a flight out at 5:15pm (the other option was 1am) so now I have to figure out what to do with my extra day there since the cruisetour ends in the morning. We're arriving in Seattle around midnight the first night, but I can get an airport hotel for around $40 on Priceline. This works out much better.

Do you get to Fairbanks the day before the tour ends or on the final day of your tour? Check out the Fairbanks tourist board's website or your cruiseline's excursion booklet for ideas as to things you can do in, and around, Fairbanks. You probably won't be able to check your luggage in at the airport until a few hours before your flight time, but if you get into Fairbanks the day before you fly home, your hotel will probably hold your luggage for you and you can return there to pick it up before heading to the airport. Renting a car to take you around Fairbanks or its environs might be a possibility. Is the flight time from Fairbanks to Seattle really almost 7 hours? Is it non-stop or do you have to connect in Anchorage or Vancouver?

We are in Fairbanks for 2 nights before the tour ends. Given that we'll be checking out and heading to the airport early to get a rental car, it will probably seem strange to leave our luggage at the hotel and come back for it. BTW I posted this scenario in a different thread here.

Given that we'll be checking out and heading to the airport early to get a rental car, it will probably seem strange to leave our luggage at the hotel and come back for it. QUOTE]

As a frequent traveler, I do this ALL the time. I day check my bags - with a tip, after checking out, then return later when I'm ready to go. It is very COMMON.

We are in Fairbanks for 2 nights before the tour ends. Given that we'll be checking out and heading to the airport early to get a rental car, it will probably seem strange to leave our luggage at the hotel and come back for it. BTW I posted this scenario in a different thread here.

It certainly isn't an uncommon or unheard of process and unless your hotel is a great distance from the airport (not likely if it was part of your tour), it can hardly be considered strange or inconvenient. Depending on where the car rental office is located, I suppose you could take your luggage with you when you check out and pack it in the rental vehicle. It is just that your luggage will probably be more secure if you check it at the hotel until you head for the airport.:)

Archived