All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

Last year sailing out of Malaga we had an English cruise director(sorry can't remember who) and a Spanish assistant. They both appeared together most of the time and announced in both languages. It worked quite well.

I've always thought the reason that Carnival don't have their ships in Europe is that they have their own brands for each nationality, P and O, Costa, Aida etc. and also Princess for more of a mix.

I love Carnival and always think that Costa is the European equivalent.

Julie

I've always thought the reason that Carnival don't have their ships in Europe is that they have their own brands for each nationality, P and O, Costa, Aida etc. and also Princess for more of a mix.

I love Carnival and always think that Costa is the European equivalent.

Julie

That's a really good point Julie, Carnival does own several lines. But, the only people I know who've been on Costa were elderly or at least retired, so I would never compare them to Carnival cruisers! Plus I hear that on Costa they make all the announcements in 4-5 languages, that doesn't happen on Carnival where it's pretty much English only.

For those of us visiting Malaga I would like to recommend Automotive Traveller's excellent blog detailing his visit with photos, etc.

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1009:the-voyager-of-the-seas-meandering-the-streets-of-malaga&catid=196:guest-blogs&Itemid=362

He posted a link on CC as well, great blog!

Hi everybody. We will be sailing on the Adventure of the seas beginning on 24 may 2010 and will post our comments as soon as we will get back to Canada.

2 week from now... I can't wait. :)

Hey,

I live in Philadelphia and my sister and I are actually sailing out of Barcelona on 6/7. I cant wait to see what it is going to be like and we are so excited!

I look forward to hearing how your cruise went, and welcome to Cruise Critic as it looks like this is only your second post! What fun stuff do you have planned in Barcelona? What other ports do you visit?

Earlier I mentioned the possibility of staying at the Parador Granada on site at the Alhambra. I got a response on my price query. For two nights it would be 702 € for their cheapest room for 2. YIKES!!!! I hope they won't charge me for a peek in their lobby since that's all I'm likely to do there.

Thanks for starting this thread Jolimont -- it's true the roll calls seem to be very quiet, even quieter than my experience last year with Voyager in the Med.

We hope (volcanic ash permitting!) to sail 10 July. Do we know who will be the Captain and Cruise Director then? Also, the dining times? I wonder if these will be later to accomodate Spanish customs?

Thanks for starting this thread Jolimont -- it's true the roll calls seem to be very quiet, even quieter than my experience last year with Voyager in the Med.

We hope (volcanic ash permitting!) to sail 10 July. Do we know who will be the Captain and Cruise Director then? Also, the dining times? I wonder if these will be later to accomodate Spanish customs?

Hello Dutchclogs,

Very good question about dining times, I suspect all the Spaniards are going to want to eat at 9-10pm, I don't know how they'll deal with it, but they really should.

CD is going to be Mercedez Delafuente I think (sp?), no idea about the captain.

We're not taking any chances with the ash cloud, we'll just drive. Do you have a plan B? The airport in my home town of Toulouse has not been shut down very much through this whole ash thing because somehow being between the Pyrenees and the Massif Central directs winds away from us or some such thing. It appears lots of people who originally wanted to fly to Barcelona are flying into Toulouse. So hopefully you'll have options. Let us know what you find out about ports and things!

We are doing the 7 night from Malaga on AOS on 31st July - so far have a very small Roll Call too!

Any ideas on hotels for first and last nights in Malaga - 2 adults and 2 children - most appreciated.

We stayed at the AC Palacio Malaga and it was very nice. It was across the street from the park and a very short walk to the Cathedral.

Well Adventure arrived safe n sound during the early hours this morning and will now be being prepared for her first mediterranean sailing. We'll be on her in 5 days!

That's great news! Looks like the Adventure is going to be docked in Barcelona until your cruise on May 20th. Do I have this right? That's a long time to dock doing nothing, isn't it?

I can't find a Barcelona cruise terminal webcam. But I will be driving through Barcelona tomorrow (Sunday, May 15th), not for anything having to do with a cruise, but I'll stop by the cruise ship terminal and look for the Adventure. Shouldn't be too hard to spot, I think. I'll try to upload photos in the next few days.

Pete, I wish you a wonderful cruise and please come back and report!

Her first sailing is today, it's a 5 night sailing to Nice, Cagliari (Sardinia), Palermo (Sicily).

Due to the expected ash cloud from the volcano and the expected disruption to flights from the UK from tomorrow until at least Tuesday, we've now made alternative plans.

We were flying from Manchester to Barcelona on Wednesday, 19th and staying at the Villa Emilia.

Now we are leaving on Tuesday afternoon by train from Manchester to London, coach from London to Paris (overnight ferry crossing), train from Paris to Montpellier and then onto Barcelona. Still arriving on Wednesday, 19th in the evening, just about 7 hours later than planned!

We will board this ship!

To be honest the extra cost is better than losing the whole cost of the cruise.

So I stopped by the Barcelona cruise terminal today, I was there around 2pm, I saw the Voyager, but no Adventure! I must have misread the schedule. There were people getting on the Voyager at Cruise Terminal B, drove aroud a bit but didn't see other RCI terminals, so I'm not sure where the Adventure sails from. Anybody knows?

Voyager was looking great, but not as spiffy as I would have guessed. She is a tad older than the Adventure. Would have loved to get on the week however!!!

Those sound like good plans Pete. You will indeed get on that ship!

So I stopped by the Barcelona cruise terminal today, I was there around 2pm, I saw the Voyager, but no Adventure! I must have misread the schedule. There were people getting on the Voyager at Cruise Terminal B, drove aroud a bit but didn't see other RCI terminals, so I'm not sure where the Adventure sails from. Anybody knows?

Voyager was looking great, but not as spiffy as I would have guessed. She is a tad older than the Adventure. Would have loved to get on the week however!!!

Those sound like good plans Pete. You will indeed get on that ship!

I suspect she sails from the same terminal as Voyager but as I mentioned, she sailed yesterday on a 5 night sailing.

She's just leaving Villefranche, here's a shot from the webcam there earlier today.

http://www.shinshu-a.com/cgi/live/vsm_pv.cgi?log=3

I am considering the AOS Transatlantic 11/7/2011 cruise - a retirement gift to myself. The cabin prices are great - a consideration since I am traveling solo. What a way to ease into retirement! Probably will visit Spain for a bit prior to the cruise.

I will be following cruise critic posts for the best information about AOS and Malaga. I find the most helpful information here.

I suspect she sails from the same terminal as Voyager but as I mentioned, she sailed yesterday on a 5 night sailing.

She's just leaving Villefranche, here's a shot from the webcam there earlier today.

http://www.shinshu-a.com/cgi/live/vsm_pv.cgi?log=3

Ah, that explains it then! Thanks Pete! The cruise terminal is really easy to find, I saw lots of buses taking passengers, taxis, it's also not far from the metro. Once you're at the Colomb statue head south about 1km. Very conveniently located. Gorgeous weather in Barcelona today, don't know where all the ash is, certainly not near the ground!

Ah, that explains it then! Thanks Pete! The cruise terminal is really easy to find, I saw lots of buses taking passengers, taxis, it's also not far from the metro. Once you're at the Colomb statue head south about 1km. Very conveniently located. Gorgeous weather in Barcelona today, don't know where all the ash is, certainly not near the ground!

The volcanic ash is all over the UK:(, most northern airports in the UK are closed at the moment and may not be fully operational until Tuesday afternoon. It's a shame this site http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/ashconcentration/zoom_ashconcentration.html is on my favourites!

I am considering the AOS Transatlantic 11/7/2011 cruise - a retirement gift to myself. The cabin prices are great - a consideration since I am traveling solo. What a way to ease into retirement! Probably will visit Spain for a bit prior to the cruise.

I will be following cruise critic posts for the best information about AOS and Malaga. I find the most helpful information here.

Welcome aboard! We'll give you a full review once we return from our 20th May sailing out of Barcelona. We're considering a TA on Liberty in 2011.

Welcome to the Ole! edition Roswell Cruiser! A retirement cruise sounds lovely indeed!

The volcanic ash is all over the UK:(, most northern airports in the UK are closed at the moment and may not be fully operational until Tuesday afternoon. It's a shame this site http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/ashconcentration/zoom_ashconcentration.html is on my favourites!

That's terrible Pete. You'll get to Spain somehow!

I think the more we get into this mess the less likely it will be that airports will close.

I was talking to a fairly high up Airbus employee yesterday and she thinks everyone is calming down and learning how to deal with this ahs. They shut everything down as a cautionary measure, but it's probably overkill.

We really enjoyed the AOS crossing. Many were commenting about day 4 or 5 about how the sea was so calm, like a sheet of glass. Glad we didn't need to rely on the wind. Most days were sunny, mild and bright. Service, food, entertainment and activities were outstanding throughtout the the 13 days. I don't say that just because I won a gold medal, they just handled things very nicely and made activities available throughout.

Cruise Critics were invited to a very nice Mix & Mingle with champagne and mimoas to go with h'ordourves. Then, we had a special luncheon another day that was a fun surprise to us and even included a wine selection.

Casey (cruise director) is moving on to Mariner of the Seas he told me, but will not be there after it repositions to the Gulf Coast.

Hope our journey on Carnival Splendor in Feb 2011 is close to as fun.

Cruise Critics were invited to a very nice Mix & Mingle with champagne and mimoas to go with h'ordourves. Then, we had a special luncheon another day that was a fun surprise to us and even included a wine selection.

Hope our journey on Carnival Splendor in Feb 2011 is close to as fun.

Thanks for the report Soaked! Sounds like a great trip!

How did you find out about the Cruise Critic Mix & Mingle? I've seen it mentioned a few times but I have no idea how it works.

I had a great time on the Splendor, she's a great ship with a great crew. And the beds are WONDERFUL on Carnival!

Archived