All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

Wonderful review, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us Pete! I wonder if they adjusted meal times to standard Spanish time? I suspect Spaniards didn't show up for lunch at noon but rather at 1:30 or 2pm, correct? Does the MDR stay open later at lunch then?

In your sample prices you didn't list the almighty Long Island Iced Tea, did you try one, was it any good? (nowhere to get one in France as this is a very American cocktail and I miss it!)

Well we made it home folks, so here's my review of our 4 day sailing. Sorry it's long! If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

We travelled ‘overland’ from Manchester, UK to Barcelona on 18th / 19th May to ensure the volcanic ash cloud did not disrupt our flight from the UK or to Spain. That trip is a completely different story! Stayed overnight at the Villa Emilia hotel www.hotelvillaemilia.com

Thursday, 20th May

Caught a taxi from the hotel to the port ‘Moll D’Adossat’ at around 11:00, cost approximately €20 as the Barcelona taxis have a fixed charge, cost per KM and then extras for baggage etc.

Arrived at Terminal B and joined a short line for security scan and check in. We took our bags on board with us as we just had ‘carry on’ size bags for the 4 night sailing.

Entered the terminal and completed a health questionnaire to make sure we didn’t have swine flu. Used the Diamond/Suite Guests check in line and it was completed in minutes.

Passed by a stand selling the soda passes and then through the duty free shops of the terminal. Up the escalators (deftly avoiding the ‘Welcome Aboard’ photo opportunity) and proceeded along the covered walk way onto the ship on deck 4. Provided our SeaPass cards and passports for the photograph to be imprinted onto the cards and we were onboard. Reckon the whole process took less than 15 minutes!

Proceeded up to the Windjammer for lunch. Staterooms would be available at 1 pm. Stopped by Portofino to book a table for 9 pm on Friday, 21st.

Before entering the Windjammer, ordered a 5 bottle Gold ‘Wine & Dine’ package. Total cost $164.70 ($135 + $9.45 Spanish VAT + $20.25 15% gratuity).

Took a seat in the Island Grill and had lunch, very quiet at this time. Once lunch eaten we sat on Deck 11 and at 1 pm proceeded to stateroom 7318, a centre hump, starboard side category E2 cabin.

Complimentary Ice Show tickets in the cabin for any performance.

Unpacked and went exploring.

Had a drink in the Blue Moon Jazz Club in the Viking Crown on deck 14. Jack Daniels & Coke ($5.50 + 15%), Bombay Sapphire & tonic ($5.75 + 15%).

Attended the Diamond event for pre-dinner drinks, held each night from 5 pm – 8:30 pm in the ‘19th Hole’ on deck 14. Similar location to the Diamond lounge found on the Freedom class ships, so nice sea views, especially as sunset wasn’t until around 9 pm. Free wine, champagne and fountain sodas available, 20% discount on cocktails and beer. Very quite most nights but we were well looked after by Bryan.

We had pre-booked 8:30 pm for My Time dining. This was on deck 5 in the Mozart dining room. Got a table for 2 as requested which was on the balcony area of the dining room overlooking decks 3 & 4. Food was good, and the waiter and assistant waiter excellent.

Attended the Ice show in Studio B ‘Cool Art Hot Ice’ and it was enjoyable.

Visited Jesters night club, we’ve never seen a club onboard so busy, the bar staff couldn’t cope, so many people wanting drinks. Went up to Blue Moon on deck 14, again absolutely packed, no space on the dance floor and again the bar staff struggling to cope with demand. The theme was Latin, Salsa, Merengue catering for the very large Spanish contingent onboard.

Same in the 19th Hole, very busy with people wanting serving.

Friday, 21st May

Arrived in ‘Toulon’ at 7 am. Actually docked at La Seyne-sur-Mer which is 6 miles from Toulon and to get there you had to purchase a shuttle ticket costing $6 per person each way, so $24 for a two person round trip from Explorations on deck 5 next to Guest Relations.

We were invited to have daily full service breakfast with speciality coffees in the ‘La Notte’ dining room on deck 3 as Diamond members. It was very quiet but enjoyable.

The shuttle organisation was chaotic with people who had not purchased tickets allowed to pay on the dock and then push in the lines with those who had paid waiting to board a bus. The trip took approximately 35 – 45 minutes due to the appalling traffic. We were dropped off at the ferry terminal and told buses returned to the ship every 30 minutes.

Toulon was interesting to see, especially the market, but that’s about it. Went to catch a shuttle back, no driver to be seen. Finally boarded the 3 bus that had dropped people off, again total chaos. Return trip seemed to take even longer due to the volume of traffic.

Went back onboard to have lunch at Johnny Rockets. Good as usual.

Departed from La Seyne Sur-Mer at 6 pm.

Complimentary petit fours delivered to the cabin, I presume for Diamond members and up (no reason provided) on formal night.

Dined at Portofino at 9 pm, dress suggestion was smart casual even though it was Formal Night. Excellent, ate too much as usual. Staff very attentive.

Saturday, 22nd May

Went for breakfast to the Windjammer today and found they served ‘English’ back bacon and sausages, fantastic!

Basically a sea day until arrival in Ibiza at 4:30 pm. As a result it was very busy again on the pool decks, but we found a nice spot in the Solarium near the pool.

Once again a shuttle was needed to get from the dock which looked fairly new and was located near the Botafoch Marina. The port of Ibiza was very busy with ferries from other parts of Spain as well as regular services to the neighbouring island of Formentera.

Left the ship to catch the shuttle to the Formentera ferry terminal which is just outside the old town. Trip only took a few minutes.

Spent an hour or so exploring the ‘D’Alt Vila’ of Ibiza, the old walled town that is approached by an imposing archway up a ramp.

Returned to the ship for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. Had the Cops Grille steak available on the MDR menu, excellent ($14.95 which includes 15% gratuity + 7% Spanish VAT). Then we headed back out to Ibiza town via the shuttle for a few drinks.

Sunday, 23rd May

Breakfasted again in the Windjammer and found a table easily. Went for a walk from the dock to the marina and then to Talamanca which is the resort in the next bay from where the ship docks.

Headed back to try and find a spot on the pool deck, this proved really difficult and again the chair hogs out in force.

Went to Windjammer for lunch at 1:30 pm and gave up trying to find a table, it was so busy as the MDR was closed whilst we were in port.

Returned at around 2 pm and eventually grabbed a table for 2 as two people got up to leave. I requested a bottle of wine from our ‘Wine & Dine’ package but my first request was denied as the MDR was closed even though there is a bar in the Island Grill. I approached a senior dining room attendant and asked again. She initially said it was not possible as the MDR was closed, but I insisted as it was a ‘Wine & Dine’ package and I was dining. She consulted with someone else and he said it was possible. She got the wine from Portofino next door.

Registered my $10 internet credit with Guest Relations, set up a username and password in the internet café and then tried to use the Wi-Fi hotspot in Cloud 9 on deck 14. This was not working; the ship is not fully equipped with Wi-Fi so it is not possible to connect from your stateroom. The only locations are Cloud 9 (deck 14), Conference Centre (deck 2), Royal Promenade (Café Promenade, deck 5) & Solarium (deck 11).

We set sail from Ibiza at 3 pm towards Barcelona. We went to watch the Farewell Show in the Lyric theatre and then to our final dinner in the MDR.

Monday, 24th May

We docked in Barcelona in the early morning and although as Diamond Members we had been given one of the first coloured tags for early disembarkation, we stayed onboard and had breakfast in the Windjammer as we were taking our own luggage off.

We could have waited in the Mozart dining room reserved for Diamond members, but we stayed in the cabin until about 8:30 am.

Checked out our formal ‘informal’ photographs from the previous evening, but didn’t purchase any as they are not worth the $19.95 + VAT IMHO.

We strolled around the pool deck and saw MSC Splendida dock behind us, Nautilus in front and Oceana beyond that. It was a busy day in the port of Barcelona.

We left the ship around 8:45 am, no lines for exiting the ship, strolled through the terminal and out to get a taxi to our post cruise hotel and waited all of 5 minutes before being on our way.

Highlights

Adventure of the Seas is a great ship, and in good condition.

Unobtrusive stateroom attendant, but thorough and the cabin was spotless.

Good food in the MDR, excellent in Portofino.

A large variety of food available in the Windjammer.

Strong alcoholic drinks (now into Lava Flows!)

Attentive staff

Great service, especially in Portofino

Very easy to check in and board and also when disembarking.

Great snacks at the Café Promenade (Brownies to die for!).

Lowlights

Chair hogging.

Chaotic shuttle organisation.

Shuttle from La Seyne Sur-Mer (cost and length of time taken to get to Toulon)

Lack of choice of shore excursions in Ibiza.

General Store does not sell duty free liquor or cigarettes due to Spanish law and is now the ‘$10 store’

Spanish VAT of 16% on shop purchases, 7% on all bar sales and cover charges for Johnny Rockets and Portofino.

Key Staff

Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug

Mercedes LaFuente – Cruise Director

Melissa Broome – Loyalty Ambassador

Sample Prices

Chops Grille Steak $13.00 ($14.95 on the menu, includes 15% gratuity)

Mojito $6.00

20oz Draft Beer $5.95

Seattle’s Best Latte $2.75

Budweiser (bottle) $4.25

House Brandy $4.75

Portofino cover charge $20.00 ($21.40 per person due to Spanish VAT at 7%)

Jack Daniels & Coke $5.50

Bombay Sapphire & Tonic $5.75

8” x 6” photo $9.95 each, plus $1.59 Spanish VAT (16%)

Cosmopolitan $9.25

Mango Lava Flow $6.75

Lava Flow $7.00

Glass of wine $7.00 and up

All the above except where stated attract an additional 7% Spanish VAT, plus 15% Gratuity.

Excellent review Pete - very informative and lots of really useful info - I've save it in my favourites as we'll be on Adventure in August.

I have a couple of questions which I wonder if you can answer. Do you know if RCL always dock outside Toulon with the shuttle in. We're not due into Toulon on Adventure but are when we're on Voyager in July. We were in two minds what to do but I really object to the way RCL nickel & dime passengers for shuttles and, since it sounds like a hassle anyway, we may just stay on the ship.

Also I was interested to see that you paid Spanish VAT on your wine package. We've tried to book a wine package via the website for our Voyager sailing but are unable to do so. I emailed RCL asking why this was and they replied that we are unable to prebook the package as we'd have to pay Spanish VAT and it would be more economical to book onboard. I was assuming that if we purchase the package after we've set sail (en route for Italy) we shouldn't have to pay VAT. Did you pay the VAT because you were only ever in Spain?

As an aside, I'm surprised you had such poor treatment over obtaining a bottle of wine in the Windjammer. We've always purchased a wine and dine package and like to pick up a bottle of 'champagne' for sailaway, which we've always collected from the bar in the Windjammer without any problem. It beats me that you can buy a 'wine and dine' package and then be told you can only get it from the MDR :rolleyes:

Wow Pete, thanks very much for such a comprehensive report of your short cruise. I am a little horrified that VAT is now added to the purchase prices of drinks and other things. I cannot remember paying this on previous Med cruises. I don't understand why it is now being charged.

You mentioned that the Diamond evening drinks event was quiet. What were the numbers like? I am a little concerned that without many CC posters and therefore no M&M, we are relying on the Diamond 'parties' to get to know other frequent cruisers. I do hope we will not be there alone.

I am also interested in what time the dinners were for those not on MTD. We have booked for our usual second seating but would not want to eat later than 8.30 if they changed the time to suit the Spanish desire to eat very late. Sitting with the same tablemates and getting to know them is what we really like about Traditional dining. If we were cruising in a group, MTD would be great but on our own we prefer the sociability of other diners.

BTW, I love the sound of a Mango Lava Flow. What is in it? :)

Here's a set of photos

Thanks for sharing your photos and review Pete, it certainly looks as if you had a great time on the Adventure. We will not be travelling on her until the TA in Nov 2011 but you have certainly wheted our appetite for our trip :)

Best Wishes

Gill

Hi Jolimont, Cinnamon, Sabre, Sarh and everyone else- so pleased this thread is hotting up! Pete your photos are brilliant! I am cruising on 17th July with hubby, 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend. :)

Wonderful review, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us Pete! I wonder if they adjusted meal times to standard Spanish time? I suspect Spaniards didn't show up for lunch at noon but rather at 1:30 or 2pm, correct? Does the MDR stay open later at lunch then?

In your sample prices you didn't list the almighty Long Island Iced Tea, did you try one, was it any good? (nowhere to get one in France as this is a very American cocktail and I miss it!)

Sorry didn't sample the Long Island Ice Tea so can't tell you the price.

Most people did appear to show up for lunch around 1:30 and the Windjammer was open until 3:30. The MDR was only open on the one day at sea before we arrived in Ibiza and this was open until 2 pm.

Excellent review Pete - very informative and lots of really useful info - I've save it in my favourites as we'll be on Adventure in August.

I have a couple of questions which I wonder if you can answer. Do you know if RCL always dock outside Toulon with the shuttle in. We're not due into Toulon on Adventure but are when we're on Voyager in July. We were in two minds what to do but I really object to the way RCL nickel & dime passengers for shuttles and, since it sounds like a hassle anyway, we may just stay on the ship.

Also I was interested to see that you paid Spanish VAT on your wine package. We've tried to book a wine package via the website for our Voyager sailing but are unable to do so. I emailed RCL asking why this was and they replied that we are unable to prebook the package as we'd have to pay Spanish VAT and it would be more economical to book onboard. I was assuming that if we purchase the package after we've set sail (en route for Italy) we shouldn't have to pay VAT. Did you pay the VAT because you were only ever in Spain?

As an aside, I'm surprised you had such poor treatment over obtaining a bottle of wine in the Windjammer. We've always purchased a wine and dine package and like to pick up a bottle of 'champagne' for sailaway, which we've always collected from the bar in the Windjammer without any problem. It beats me that you can buy a 'wine and dine' package and then be told you can only get it from the MDR :rolleyes:

By the look at the size of the dock in Toulon I would suspect all Voyager class ships will have to dock in La Seyne Sur-Mer but I can't confirm that 100%.

My experience of the VAT on the wine package with regard to pre-booking was the same and perhaps it was as we hadn't set sail that I had to pay VAT, but then again even when we were sailing VAT was applied to everything else even when sailing to France.

Wow Pete, thanks very much for such a comprehensive report of your short cruise. I am a little horrified that VAT is now added to the purchase prices of drinks and other things. I cannot remember paying this on previous Med cruises. I don't understand why it is now being charged.

You mentioned that the Diamond evening drinks event was quiet. What were the numbers like? I am a little concerned that without many CC posters and therefore no M&M, we are relying on the Diamond 'parties' to get to know other frequent cruisers. I do hope we will not be there alone.

I am also interested in what time the dinners were for those not on MTD. We have booked for our usual second seating but would not want to eat later than 8.30 if they changed the time to suit the Spanish desire to eat very late. Sitting with the same tablemates and getting to know them is what we really like about Traditional dining. If we were cruising in a group, MTD would be great but on our own we prefer the sociability of other diners.

BTW, I love the sound of a Mango Lava Flow. What is in it? :)

There was never more than 6 or 7 people at the Diamond event. We were lucky and got talking to a very nice couple who happened to be our cabin neighbours!

As for second seating dining, this was at 9 pm every day on our sailing.

A Mango Lava flow has the normal ingredients of Pina Colada & Rum, but just uses Mango juice in place of Strawberry, so why the traditional Lava Flow is more expensive is a mystery to me!

We've just become Diamond members for our next cruise so have no experience of Diamond lounges - yet :). However, I can tell you that we sailed in the Med on Legend last year and were a few doors down from the concierge lounge which never had more than around 12 people in it. Also, we met the couple who were introduced as having the most cruises at the Captain's party - they had 30 cruise credits (not 30+ cruises, which is the norm for sailings out of the US) :confused: So there are clearly not many Diamond plus members onboard either

We've just become Diamond members for our next cruise so have no experience of Diamond lounges - yet :). However, I can tell you that we sailed in the Med on Legend last year and were a few doors down from the concierge lounge which never had more than around 12 people in it. Also, we met the couple who were introduced as having the most cruises at the Captain's party - they had 30 cruise credits (not 30+ cruises, which is the norm for sailings out of the US) :confused: So there are clearly not many Diamond plus members onboard either

How many RCI cruises does it take to be a Diamond cruiser? Seeing how many ships RCI is putting in the Med, there may soon be lots of diamonds in Europe too.

How many RCI cruises does it take to be a Diamond cruiser? Seeing how many ships RCI is putting in the Med, there may soon be lots of diamonds in Europe too.

10 cruise credits for diamond

24 cruise credits for diamond plus.

You get a certain amount of credits for each cruise plus one more if in a suite,so it does not take long to get to diamond if you are a regular cruiser with RCI

You also get an extra cruise credit for 12 nights or more so, for instance on a 12 night sailing in a JS you get 3 cruise credits :) We've managed to get to Diamond with only 4 cruises by sailing in a JS each time and taking 2 12 night cruises. I think there will increasingly be Diamond members in Europe now that so many ships are here, but it's still a lot more expensive on the European sailings. Many people in the US get to Diamond and Diamond plus because they have ports which they can easily reach (eg in Florida) and can get fairly cheap short cruises, so the credits soon add up.

Thanks for sharing your photos and review Pete, it certainly looks as if you had a great time on the Adventure. We will not be travelling on her until the TA in Nov 2011 but you have certainly wheted our appetite for our trip.

Gill

Hi Gill, good to 'see' you on here. I am not surprised that you are taking the TA on Adventure. It is too late in November for us and this year we are cruising on Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton to get to Florida for our usual holiday there.

Nicely done, Pete! Loved the blue of the waters and your zooming... great watch you have and comfy sandals (initially seen plenty of long pants and some jackets- thinking maybe it was windy or not that warm, but later seen the blues and got a better idea of the weather).

Cheers with that bubbly (excellent way to start an adventure on the AOS)!

Thanks very much for sharing the photos. They were great!!!

Sabre

You also get an extra cruise credit for 12 nights or more so, for instance on a 12 night sailing in a JS you get 3 cruise credits :) We've managed to get to Diamond with only 4 cruises by sailing in a JS each time and taking 2 12 night cruises. I think there will increasingly be Diamond members in Europe now that so many ships are here, but it's still a lot more expensive on the European sailings. Many people in the US get to Diamond and Diamond plus because they have ports which they can easily reach (eg in Florida) and can get fairly cheap short cruises, so the credits soon add up.

I didn't know you get an extra credit for a JS. We just did a 12 night cruise in a JS so i will have to check if we got the extra credit. Thanks for pointing that out!

Sabre

Hi Gill, good to 'see' you on here. I am not surprised that you are taking the TA on Adventure. It is too late in November for us and this year we are cruising on Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton to get to Florida for our usual holiday there.

Hi Corinne

Hope that you and John are both ok.

We looked at the Liberty cruise from Barcelona as well but it seemed crazy for us to travel to Barcelona when we could leave from just up the road! This is the first time we have booked with a US travel agent and I have to say so far so good.

I just hope that the weather is as kind to us on the Adventure as it was on the Navigator last year - we really had a wonderful time on that cruise.

Best Wishes

Gill

Can anyone confirm the MDR dining times in the evening? Is it 6:00 and 8:30 or so? We have MTD but may change to late sitting to be with friends if it is not too late..

Thanks Dutchclogs

PS Is anyone else having difficulty accessing their My Cruises on the RCI website?

Can anyone confirm the MDR dining times in the evening? Is it 6:00 and 8:30 or so? We have MTD but may change to late sitting to be with friends if it is not too late..

Thanks Dutchclogs

PS Is anyone else having difficulty accessing their My Cruises on the RCI website?

It was 6:30 & 9:00 on our sailing for the MDR. We had a regular MTD reservation for 8:30.

I can access My Cruises OK, as I was just checking our change in reservation from a Navigator Eastern Med sailing to Liberty Transatlantic.

I think 6 and 830 are pretty uniformly the early and late dining times.

Actually on Med cruises (particularly from Spain) 2nd sitting is often 9.00 and sometimes as late as 9.30

I have already decided to wean myself off the Liberty thread somewhat. As we will be going to Canada for 3 weeks on Tuesday it is a good oportunity. I had got addicted to it but it is a bit insane. I may try just a bit of speed reading and lurking, as it is so far out. Whereas, our Adventure adventure is less than 4 months away. :)

Hello, Pete!

Thank you for confirming - I read before another post (by a CruiseCritic member) that noted that the docking is not in port of Toulon but rather in La Seyne Sur-Mer... Called RCI but the customer service was unable to confirm it saying that the only information on their system was Provence, Toulon and dock terminal A, B, C, and D area but not a physical address or more details.

FYI - There is a cheaper and faster way to get to Toulon from Seine Sur-Mer... Instead of using the shuttle bus ($12.00), one can take the boat (maritime line 8M) for only 2.00 Euros (or buy a day pass valid for bus, boat and cable for 6.00 Euros; or buy a a day pass for unlimited land only trips for 3.90 Euros).

The 8M maritime line (transfer boat) runs every 25-35 minutes and the ride takes 20 minues... same for the return ride from Toulon to Seyne Sur-Mer.

Ponton Seyne 07:00am 07:25am 08:00am 08:35am 09:05am 09:35am and so on

Ponton Espace Marine 07:04am 7:29am 08:04am 08:39am 09:09am 09:39am etc.

Ponton Toulon 07:20am 07:45am 08:20am 08:55am 09:25am 09:55am

For the return trip:

Ponton Toulon 15:40pm 16:10pm 16:40am 17:10pm 17:40pm and so on

Ponton Espace Marine 15:56pm 16:26pm 16:56pm 17:26pm 17:56pm etc.

Ponton Seyne16:00pm 16:30pm 17:00pm 17:30pm 18:00pm

Abonnement 1 jour à 3,90 €

Vous voyagez fréquemment, optez pour ce ticket magnétique :

Avec l'abonnement 1 jour, vous bénéficiez d'un nombre illimité de voyages pendant 1 jour.

Abonnement 1 jour "Téléphérique" à 6,00 €

Vous voyagez Bus/Bateaux/Téléphérique, optez pour ce ticket magnétique :

Vous bénéficiez d'un nombre illimité de voyages pendant une journée sur les bus et les bateaux, et permet de faire un aller-retour le même jour avec le téléphérique.

Where to buy the tickets and dayly or weekly passes - Lieux de vente :

Le titre magnétique est en vente chez tous les dépositaires habituels et dans les agences commerciales.

Source for prices and schedules: http://www.reseaumistral.com/

Excellent info Daliflor - thanks for posting. I am on the same cruise as you June 3rd on AOS.

I am guessing this is easily walkable from where the ship docks.

BTW, for info, I read on your link that the Gare Maritime in Toulon will be closed during our day in Toulon in case you are planning on venturing further afield.

Linda

Thanks for all the great info in your review and your photos!! I am doing this same itinerary, leaving next Thursday!:)

Did the port guide for Ibiza include a decent map of the town, or should I print one before I go?

Thanks

Archived