All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

Whoops, didn't see this. You can check it all out here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1212624

I wouldn't have been happy at all with that cabin either and I'm glad you realize that the mistake was essentially that you booked a guarantee. Lots of people think that way they'll get an upgrade when most don't. It was a costly mistake in your case and I certainly would have complained bitterly about the noisy cabin (even if I had made the error of booking a guarantee!)

You asked where you could warn others, I suggest you start a thread with a title like "the risks of booking a guarantee". If it's in its own thread it's more likely to get read not just for a couple of days but for some months as people search for information.

I hope you get some sort of compensation you'll be happy with in this instance.

With all the talk of the obstruction on the aft cabins--how much sun do you get--doing the east T/A and like to lay out on aft cabins and sun--but how about on the Voyager Class---?????

Pictures anyone ?

THANKS FRANK

I wouldn't have been happy at all with that cabin either and I'm glad you realize that the mistake was essentially that you booked a guarantee. Lots of people think that way they'll get an upgrade when most don't. It was a costly mistake in your case and I certainly would have complained bitterly about the noisy cabin (even if I had made the error of booking a guarantee!)

You asked where you could warn others, I suggest you start a thread with a title like "the risks of booking a guarantee". If it's in its own thread it's more likely to get read not just for a couple of days but for some months as people search for information.

I hope you get some sort of compensation you'll be happy with in this instance.

We've never had an upgrade so I certainly wasn't expecting one. The whole cruise was a nightmare but the lack of sleep was really disappointing. We booked the trip as a last relaxing vacation before we pack out and I was more tired when we got home than I was before we left.

Rosie, that was on of the problems, but also, maybe it was us, but it didn't have an atmosphere, eg, the entertainment staff struggled to get people up and there was no sail-a-way party on deck, plus other items that made us regret the cruise, one needs to try out to see if you like.

Looking forward to our back to back starting Saturday. Did the 4 day one on the Nav last year and it was most enjoyable

Sounds wonderful, hope you have a chance to come back and tell us how it was. May I ask why you chose b2b cruises rather than one longer one?

Compman9, we are doing the same cruises back2back and we may add on the third as on 21st she is sailing to Malaga - our home port. See you onboard, we'll be the ones in shorts and T shirts.

Oooh, someone with a home port of Malaga! Welcome to the Olé! edition! So do you live near Malaga? From what I've read Alhambra is not to be missed. What else would you say is a must-see?

Hi Jolimont

The Alhambra should be a "must see" on everyone's list. However, Granada is a fair distance from Malaga (at least an hour and a half drive) and I don't know how practical that would be if you were only there for a day. The Alhambra deserves a lot more time than a quick few hours that you get on a ship's tour. On the other hand, if you have a few days to spare, then go see the Alhambra and allow a whole day there with no time restraints. You can prebook tickets online which I highly recommend as otherwise you may arrive at 10am and not be allowed into the palace until 3pm - it gets very busy in holiday periods.

If you are only in Malaga for a day, then you don't need to go to Granada. I recommend that you visit the alcazabar which is the moorish castle very close to the entrance to the port (about €2 entrance). It is very interesting with its small water gardens and moorish architecture. Then if you still have the energy, walk up the hill (or take a bus) to the Gibralfaro which is an very old fortress that overlooks Malaga and the Med. The views are magnificent and include views into the large Malaga bullring. Both of these castles can be seen from the ship. If you look closely, you can see a zigzag path that leads down from the Gibralfaro to the alcazabar at street level. You won't be disappointed.

If you want to get out of Malaga, then Mijas is very popular with tourists. It's a typical white Andalucian village set up on a hill overlooking the sea. There are plenty of shops filled with stuff to buy, restaurants etc and a small bullring to visit.

The Alhambra should be a "must see" on everyone's list.

I agree :) It's almost 30 years since I visited but still remember how knocked out we were by the history, the beauty and serenity of the place. In fact we had intended to spend a few days in Malaga before the cruise and planned to visit it again but had to change our plans so we can only fly in on the day. Maybe need to do another cruise from Malaga next year ;)

Hi Jolimont

The Alhambra should be a "must see" on everyone's list. However, Granada is a fair distance from Malaga (at least an hour and a half drive) and I don't know how practical that would be if you were only there for a day. The Alhambra deserves a lot more time than a quick few hours that you get on a ship's tour. On the other hand, if you have a few days to spare, then go see the Alhambra and allow a whole day there with no time restraints. You can prebook tickets online which I highly recommend as otherwise you may arrive at 10am and not be allowed into the palace until 3pm - it gets very busy in holiday periods.

If you are only in Malaga for a day, then you don't need to go to Granada. I recommend that you visit the alcazabar which is the moorish castle very close to the entrance to the port (about €2 entrance). It is very interesting with its small water gardens and moorish architecture. Then if you still have the energy, walk up the hill (or take a bus) to the Gibralfaro which is an very old fortress that overlooks Malaga and the Med. The views are magnificent and include views into the large Malaga bullring. Both of these castles can be seen from the ship. If you look closely, you can see a zigzag path that leads down from the Gibralfaro to the alcazabar at street level. You won't be disappointed.

If you want to get out of Malaga, then Mijas is very popular with tourists. It's a typical white Andalucian village set up on a hill overlooking the sea. There are plenty of shops filled with stuff to buy, restaurants etc and a small bullring to visit.

Thank you so much Teralin! We will drive in from Madrid and spend one night in Ganada, then also one night in Malaga, so I imagine we'll have time for all of the things you mentioned. I hadn't heard of Gibralfaro, but it turns out it's in my GPS! The choices I have are "Camino De Gibralfaro" or Subita A Gibralfaro" or "Tunel De Gibralfaro", I suspect camino would be the closest, wouldn't it? Thanks again for the tips!

Jolimont; back to back for two reasons:

1) cost per day for nine days was cheaper than seven days

2) it takes us to platinum for our January trip on Allure

Toiletries done, sorting out clothes now :p

Compman9, I wish that I was so organised. I am trying to deal with a pipe blockage whilst my husband is trying to fit a new pump to our pool so that it can circulate while we are away. Two days ago, our filter split on the pool and he had to buy and replace that too. Why do these things always go wrong at the worst possible time. We now need our cruise to help us relax!

Jolimont, if you have a car, then you can park up at the top at the Gibralfaro and walk down to the alcazabar. Enjoy.

Compman9, I wish that I was so organised. I am trying to deal with a pipe blockage whilst my husband is trying to fit a new pump to our pool so that it can circulate while we are away. Two days ago, our filter split on the pool and he had to buy and replace that too. Why do these things always go wrong at the worst possible time. We now need our cruise to help us relax!

Jolimont, if you have a car, then you can park up at the top at the Gibralfaro and walk down to the alcazabar. Enjoy.

Hi Linda,

Glad to see you have booked, even if it means we won't be sailing with you in September. Sorry to hear of the pool problems, a tough life. :)

We are in Canada for 3 weeks. Have been staying with our son and DIL and heading off to the mountains today. I hope you have a great trip. Do let us know what you do in the ports.

Corinne xx

Hi Corinne,

We haven't given up on September yet. We are trying to achieve D+ before they pull the plug. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Canada. We'll have lots to talk about later.

Linda

Hi Linda

Hope that you have a great time on the Adventure - I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. We've still got a good wait for our cruise :( but are planning a trip to New York later this year.

Sorry to hear about your pool problems.

Best Wishes to you and Terry

Gill

Hi Linda

Hope that you have a great time on the Adventure - I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. We've still got a good wait for our cruise :( but are planning a trip to New York later this year.

Sorry to hear about your pool problems.

Best Wishes to you and Terry

Gill

Welcome Costafox, another person from Spain! How nice to read you here! Any tips on what to visit in Palma de Majorca?

Scuse me butting in. The Cathedral in Palma, the Old Town, a trip to the Monastery where Chopin lived, a train ride to Soller (if time), the castle of Belem in Palma, a trip to a beach. The choices in Majorca are endless. It rather depends on what you like to do.

BTW Jolimont, what is your first name please?

We met Gill (Costasfox) and Linda (teralin) on the Navigator TA last November which sailed from Malaga.

Corinne

Hi Gill, How are you doing? That transatlantic next year is still very cheap isn't it? Very tempting!

When I go to Majorca, apart from the beautiful natural scenery, I like to visit the Majorica pearl factory inland. They have some lovely jewellery there at very good prices. Unfortunately, Terry doesn't enjoy this as much as I do therefore it is always time limited!

Corinne, how do you find time to follow this site when you have the whole of Canada to explore? Take lots of photos as I've only ever been to Gander in Canada when the plane had to refuel and I'm not sure that Gander is typical Canada.

Scuse me butting in. The Cathedral in Palma, the Old Town, a trip to the Monastery where Chopin lived, a train ride to Soller (if time), the castle of Belem in Palma, a trip to a beach. The choices in Majorca are endless. It rather depends on what you like to do.

BTW Jolimont, what is your first name please?

We met Gill (Costasfox) and Linda (teralin) on the Navigator TA last November which sailed from Malaga.

Corinne

Thank you Corinne! Very informative!

My first name is Annie.

Hi Gill, How are you doing? That transatlantic next year is still very cheap isn't it? Very tempting!

When I go to Majorca, apart from the beautiful natural scenery, I like to visit the Majorica pearl factory inland. They have some lovely jewellery there at very good prices. Unfortunately, Terry doesn't enjoy this as much as I do therefore it is always time limited!

Corinne, how do you find time to follow this site when you have the whole of Canada to explore? Take lots of photos as I've only ever been to Gander in Canada when the plane had to refuel and I'm not sure that Gander is typical Canada.

Ah, pearls, sounds lovely! Thanks for the tip!

Hi all,

Got back on Monday after our 4 nights on the AOS.

In general it was a good cruise but I did feel that the quality of the food had gone downhill a little since my last cruise on the Vision in June 2009. When I mean quality, I refer to cuts of meat on offer and size of prawns etc. This was the first cruise I have been on where there was no prime rib offered in the MDR and on the trip last year I remember having scallops and much larger king prawns in the MDR. BUT the food was still quite good...

The windjammer was chaotic as usual, so no surprises there. Breakfast in the MDR was better as you get a seat allocated and you can choose a la carte breakfasts or the breakfast buffet in the MDR, so that was much better than trying to find a seat in Windjammer.

The entertainment was quite good, so no complaints there. The ice show really is very good. All announcements were in Spanish and English and the Cruise Director, Mercedes Lafuente did a good job of bringing people together in both languages. It's also the first time I have come across an American captain and he was really jolly in his announcements which made a refreshing change also! He came across like a big lovable cuddly bear!:p

Staff were excellent both in our stateroom and in the dining rooms and all the venues, and there was no problem if you sat down somewhere and did not take a drink. I did tip extra for our stateroom attendant and the assistant waiter we had as they were excellent, whilst I felt the waiter was simply "doing his job" very functionally.

I have to say that having so many Spanish on board was a surprise as they do like to party much to my surprise, and they are not good at queueing!!!:D

I felt RCI was doing more to nickel and dime you on this trip. Shuttle bus transfers in Ibiza and Toulon were $12pp return which is extortionate.

In Toulon we caught the local bus to Sanary-Sur-Mer (30 mins) for 4 Euro pp return and had a wonderful day there. Be warned if you take the ships tour there for $49 (includes Bandol also) you do not leave the ship until 12.30pm and by that time all the shops in both Sanary and Bandol are closed!!!

Sanary has lots of qaint backstreets, a beautiful marina and promenade, lots of reasonable restaurants - we had a 2 course lunch there of marinated peppers to share followed by grilled king prawns and a few glasses of wine for 50Euro for 2 people. Very nice! There was also a lovely local market which again closes at 12.30pm - you could buy herbs, bread, meats, fish, fruit, veg etc. I bought some dried mango from a deli stall there. You could easily buy food there for a lovely lunch in the adjacent park.

Ibiza town was quite pleasant and we spent a few hours wandering the streets and shops and the old town. We stopped for a drink in the lower harbour and had a bottle of water and a glass of wine for 5.50 Euro, so not bad... I wasn't sure what to expect in Ibiza Town and was pleasantly surprised that it was nicer than I was expecting. I would have loved to have tried some of the local tapas food, but my mum is a fussy eater, so it was not to be LOL!

So, a great trip!:)

Many thanks to Pete and Daliflor and all for all the really useful info prior to this trip - it made a big difference to know things in advance.;):)

If you were Diamond members, there is a 2for1 voucher on the booklet on glasses of wine which came in useful and a free coffee from Seattle's Best, where I chose an iced coffee which was yummy. And also complementary drinks in one of the lounges in the evening, but as I was travelling with my mum and she was not a Diamond member, I missed out on that bit:(

Linda

Lovely review, thank you Linda!

I didn't realize you could have buffet breakfast in the MDR, do they setup a buffet somewhere and people help themselves while others order from the menu? I don't like buffet food usually, but sometimes when we're in a hurry it's just faster.

An American captain, eh? It'll be nice to meet this one-of-a-kind specimen!

In Spain I've often been in queueing situations where a new person coming in will ask if I'm the last person in line (ultima?) and it keeps things relaxed even if they don't queue per se. But nobody queue as well as the English, so my expectations are low when not in England ;-)

I hope I get prime rib on my 7 day or I'll be grumpy! This girl neeeeeeeds her prime rib!

Jolimont

Yes, you can choose between a la carte or buffet in the MDR - they will ask you your preference when you enter. On the buffet, laid out in the middle of the dining room, they find a table for you and bring you coffee/tea & juice then you help yourself to fruit, breads, hot & cold buffet (with good hot choices). Much nicer than the windjammer!!!

On the last night, the main singers and ships orchestra put on a singing jazz show in the Blue Moon lounge - this was excellent singing Sinatra songs and Ella Fitzgerald etc for an hour. Definitely not to be missed!;) I would have written about it on my comment card except I had handed it in already as it was on the last night. Would have liked to see more performances like this.:)

Linda

Meant to add...

There was beef/steaks on the menu in the MDR every evening and the quality of that was good, but I do love the way they cook and serve their Prime Rib!:p

I too hope they have not done away with it as my hubby will be looking forward to it on our upcoming 7 night on Jewel OTS.

It is possible that with such a large proportion of Europeans on this ship they felt they did not need to offer Prime Rib as it is not as common a cut in Europe compared to the way they serve it in the US? Yes, we have Prime Rib roast joints here, but it is not served as thick slices and cooked so well!

Linda

Archived