Disappointed in RCCL-Serenade was Good

OK brace yourself because here comes sarcasm - angry (not).

Here you are spending 7 days in paradise and not getting a few oddly shaped towels is upsetting your cool groove?

You're spending thousands of dollars to get a suite and can't afford a 99 cents shower cap and 99 cents travel size anything on your own? Not worth the angst to me.

We told the room steward that we didn't need the towel animals which freed him to do other things which he greatly appreciated. You can bet we always had a bucket full of ice every time we got back in the cabin and extra towels stacked away.

I alway point out how much the price of cruising has decreased over the years making a cruise vacation more affordable.

In 1990 DW and I took a RCCL ship from NY to Bermuda in a standard oceanview cabin in which the beds could not be moved together and

if you sat across from each other your knees hit. The price in 1990 dollars? $1800 p/p. Of course you had a full midnight buffet every night

with smoked salmon and selected types of caviar and ice carvings. However you could not get food continually all day from open buffets

like the Windjammer.

Oh yeah the ship had no balcony cabins.

Some things just balance out.

When I was on the Serenade I asked the cabin steward for a shower cap. He got one for me, and he said he had to search high and low for it. What's up with that. Why aren't things like that more available? :confused:

At the risk of being branded a cynic (which I am, I'm proud to say), I think that's a standard response whenever you ask for something extra. Almost every time we ask for feather pillows, we get the same spiel that it's really tough. Yet they magically appear every time. I think it's a not-so-subtle way of making you think they're miracle workers so you'll tip, or tip extra.

Probably the incinerator, especially if you were in a lower deck, the exhaust from it is off the back and it's particularly black. The last I knew the ship itself still had the smokeless gas turbines.

All 4 Radiance class ships now have diesel engines for use while in port or (under certain conditions) underway. It's a lot cheaper for them. We were just on Radiance and had soot on our aft balcony for the first time ever, although only while in port.

I wonder what tinkering RCI has been doing with the cabin staff (probably adding to the number of cabins they have to service would be my guess). For the first time in recent memory, we weren't inclined to add extra to the standard tip because our cabin steward just didn't go that extra mile (or even a foot) to make sure that we had a pleasant cruise. Everybody has a bad day or 2, but for 10 nights he just had something bad in the attitude department.

Customs and Immigration are now one entity, if you went through customs you also went through immigration

Not if you're not showing a passport, it's not!

On our last cruise, Mexican Riviera, March 2010, no one was required to show passports upon exiting the ship. The only time my passport was looked at by anyone was the clerk when we checked in. I was kind of surprised since this was the first time I'd seen that. I assumed it was some new procedure worked out between Immigration and the cruise line.

Never had a suite, my last cruise was last July, (roundtrip from same port and went thru immigration- cruise did not go to St. Croix) my memory is just fine, ammenities I refer to were from cruise line, not TA. Maybe most of you are "new" cruisers and don't know how cruises used to be. That was the point of my review- the decline in the way things used to be.

This was our 23rd cruise- I think that allows me to have an opinion and also know how things work on a cruise. Maybe some of you will appreciate my review and see it for what is was..... Those that think sarcasm (which is nothing more than anger) is funny are the ones that need to take their own advice- RELAX.

Sorry most of you have not enjoyed the perks of previous years, which obviously had nothing to do with being "a lowly gold member", as that's when we started to experience this treatment.

I've always found these boards to be very informative...and I take people's opinions to be just that..someone's opinion.

My first cruise was January, 2002, and have had at least one a year on Royal Caribbean since. And other than the pillow chocolates, I never got the amenities you mention except when I was either Diamond or in a suite.

OK brace yourself because here comes sarcasm - angry (not).

Here you are spending 7 days in paradise and not getting a few oddly shaped towels is upsetting your cool groove?

You're spending thousands of dollars to get a suite and can't afford a 99 cents shower cap and 99 cents travel size anything on your own? Not worth the angst to me.

Not sure who this post is meant for, as my review never complained of animal towels nor was I in a suite.

Not sure who this post is meant for, as my review never complained of animal towels nor was I in a suite.

I think NordicPrince was referring to you complaining that you had to take apart the towel animal for your second towel. He mentioned you being in a suite because everyone is assuming you cruise in suites since you were complaining about not getting the amenities you are accustomed to getting on a RCCL cruise - amenities that only suite guest or diamond/diamond plus members normally receive.

I disagree with the statement in red, carnival does provide shampoo, lotion, conditioner and disposable razors. We've had standard balcony rooms and those items we're always there.

Same here...we've always gotten these things on Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL.

We are scheduled on the Serenade leaving May 30th...I'm not expecting anything after reading some reviews. We haven't sailed on RCI in about 10 years so I know things have changed. Actually we haven't had fruit in our cabin since our very first and second cruises.....a looonnnnggg time ago!

I just found this on Cruise Critic's review page for Serenade of the Seas:

Standard cabins (balconies, outside, inside) feature the usual layout and amenities - no surprises there except there are few bathroom amenities (beyond shampoo in a dispenser). The bathrooms are shower-only in these staterooms. We liked the idea of the family suites - there are two different types, one with a living room and two bedrooms, the other with one large room (with bed and sofa) and a small bedroom - but weren't crazy about the layout (bedrooms were windowless in some cases). Royal Caribbean is definitely trying hard to encourage passengers to upgrade to its suites - and in some cases it's definitely worth the extra cash. Suite holders, in addition to getting more room, receive more amenities (bath products, whirlpool tubs, CD players, access to Concierge Lounge) though you'll also pay out a big chunk of cash for the privilege.

We have sailed on AOS three times in an E1 balcony cabin (the most recent in March 2009) and each time our bathroom has had a shower cap and lotion. According to this thread, the SOS does not have these amenities?

We have sailed on AOS three times in an E1 balcony cabin (the most recent in March 2009) and each time our bathroom has had a shower cap and lotion. According to this thread, the SOS does not have these amenities?

Correct, on Serenade unless you are booked in a JS cabin or above, or are a D+Member, you will not receive any special amenities in your bathroom.

A lot of this has to do with the New RCI Enhancements that was initiated in April of 2009.

Correct, on Serenade unless you are booked in a JS cabin or above, or are a D+Member, you will not receive any special amenities in your bathroom.

Thanks, Cruisenfever, I know to bring these items from the hotel we are staying at pre-cruise.:)

The bathroom perks on Carnival are an advertising arrangement with companies who provide free trial size samples in hopes of turning cruise passengers into fellow customers for their products. It's not like the samples you get in hotels, which are provided by the hotel and typically branded with the hotel name. Not that I'm belittling the practice. I enjoyed getting all that free stuff when I cruised with Carnival. Some stuff wasn't worth much to me, other stuff was really useful.

The bathroom perks on Carnival are an advertising arrangement with companies who provide free trial size samples in hopes of turning cruise passengers into fellow customers for their products. It's not like the samples you get in hotels, which are provided by the hotel and typically branded with the hotel name. Not that I'm belittling the practice. I enjoyed getting all that free stuff when I cruised with Carnival. Some stuff wasn't worth much to me, other stuff was really useful.

Agree. The toothpaste samples were okay. The best thing they give you are the razors. I did notice the last time we sailed Princess we didn't as much lotion, shampoo & conditioner that we had before. They have wonderful lotion, too.

Our disappointment with RCCL is not one particular thing, but an overall feeling. This cruise had us reach Diamond status, but it could have been our first cruise with RCCL. We always told people there was something about an RCCL cruise that made you feel special, but not so this time. No pillow chocolates, had to take apart the towel animal for our 2nd towel, no shower cap or lotion, never fruit or treats in the room that we always received before.

Yeah... you did.

How you managed to not leave the ship and fly home after the arduous task of dismantling your towel animal, I'll never know...

[/sarcasm]

Yeah... you did.

How you managed to not leave the ship and fly home after the arduous task of dismantling your towel animal, I'll never know...

[/sarcasm]

I'm exhausted just thinking about it...

When I was on the Serenade I asked the cabin steward for a shower cap. He got one for me, and he said he had to search high and low for it. What's up with that. Why aren't things like that more available? :confused:

Because maybe most people never use the shower caps?

I found the service on my recent cruise on the Serenade to be exceptional. I think it's all about expectations. Being a lowly gold member, I'm not expecting any freebies. I'm constantly amazed at how well I'm treated on board - as if I were someone actually IMPORTANT! The Serenade crew was even a step above what I've come to expect. Our waitstaff (Rupesh and Catherine) became like part of the family. We hated to leave them. Everyone we dealt with the WONDERFUL! Can't think of a single thing to complain about!!

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience (even for a lowly gold member ;):)). Seriously, though, I'm a Diamond Member and I don't expect freebies when I cruise - if they come, they come, but if not, no biggie. If I walk into my cabin and there is something there from the Concierge or the dessert chef, of course it's a pleasant surprise, but I don't go into my cabin each time looking at my bed expecting something. I will be on Serenade in September and I am so looking forward to sailing her. Again, I am glad that you had a wonderful experience. Happy sailings:D

p.s. I hope you know that I was joking about the "lowly gold" thing.

]The only thing I am really diappointed in is No Chocolate On MY Pillow :( Now before you jump on me, let me explain. I'm diabetic and very good about controling my sugar counts, on our cruise the only real treat I've been allowing myself is the chocolate on the pillows in the evening. However...no biggie, everything has a fix. My husband is bringing a bag of Dove Chocolates in his suitcase. He'll go into the room first and put it on my pillow :D Well...okay that's just going a bit to far, I'll just HAVE to eat dessert :p

Anne

Is smuggling in Chocolate okay :confused:

Next Up - 12 nights - Explorer of the Seas - Nov. 2010

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience (even for a lowly gold member. Seriously, though, I'm a Diamond Member and I don't expect freebies when I cruise - if they come, they come, but if not, no biggie. If I walk into my cabin and there is something there from the Concierge or the dessert chef, of course it's a pleasant surprise, but I don't go into my cabin each time looking at my bed expecting something. I will be on Serenade in September and I am so looking forward to sailing her. Again, I am glad that you had a wonderful experience. Happy sailings:D

p.s. I hope you know that I was joking about the "lowly gold" thing.

Archived