Amsterdam Explorations Cafe coffee drink prices

zelker

I have almost never done room service but I thought it's typically your room steward who delivers it ...
No, it is never delivered by your room steward ... always a dining steward.

Actually the people who deliver room service are not the dining room staff (who share in the pooled tips) but kitchen staff on the smaller ships and a specific room service staff on the bigger ships.

They do not have part of the tip pool as part of their wages. They need to be tipped.

Actually the people who deliver room service are not the dining room staff (who share in the pooled tips) but kitchen staff on the smaller ships and a specific room service staff on the bigger ships.

They do not have part of the tip pool as part of their wages. They need to be tipped.

Agree 100%. If you're going to ask someone to deliver a coffee to your room when you could go and get it yourself, then you should tip them.

The minimum we tip is $2. We up it to $4 for breakfast or a big order of snacks and sandwiches and at least $5 for a dinner.

For a pot of coffee $2 is fine.

Be sure to clear a landing site for the room service tray in advance of its arrival and don't have your Do Not Disturb sign out. It it is out, they won't knock and will go away.

The minimum we tip is $2. We up it to $4 for breakfast or a big order of snacks and sandwiches and at least $5 for a dinner.

For a pot of coffee $2 is fine.

Be sure to clear a landing site for the room service tray in advance of its arrival and don't have your Do Not Disturb sign out. It it is out, they won't knock and will go away.

Thanks I will keep this for reference as we have never used room service before.

Am trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy one of the coffee cards or just pay a la carte. Does anyone know what the going rate for coffee drinks are these days? And are the cards good for any size?

Thanks.

Here's the prices onboard Amsterdam as of May 2, I had planned on including this info in a future post, but uploaded it now so I could link to it for your answer.

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/05/amsterdam-explorations-cafe-coffee-menu.html

Here's the prices onboard Amsterdam as of May 2, I had planned on including this info in a future post, but uploaded it now so I could link to it for your answer.

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/05/amsterdam-explorations-cafe-coffee-menu.html

Thanks so much!! So if we drink some of the pricier flavored drinks (which I do), then a coffee card will save us a few pennies here and there.

Anyone know what the heck a Creamice is??

It is my understanding that the entire crew shares in the hotel service charge. Why wouldn't the room service people receive a portion?
Room service stewards are included. It's not the "entire crew" that shares the HSC, just those in the Hotel Department except officers. Excluded are all officers, Security, Engineering (Maintenance and Operations), contractors (Spa staff, SeaMobile), and bar staff, which have their own pool financed by the 15% Service Charges.

But I still tip the room service stewards $2 to $5 anyway, depending on how much we get and how accurate and timely the order is.

Could anyone give me an example of what is in a 'daily special"?? It prices at $4.95.

Thank you,

Cheryl :)

These were the daily specials on our April 6 Hawaii cruise:

Almond Mocha Cappuccino

White Chocolate & Mocha Cappucino

Chocolate Caramello

Irish Coffee Latte

Raspy Nilla Soy Latte

Vanilla Chai Latte

Double Mint Latte

Girl Scout Cookie Latte

Chocolate Raspberry Creamice

Hazel Choco Nut Latte

Irish Cream Mocha Sensation

Mocha Caramello Creamice

Raspberry Chai Tea

Snickers Coffee

(and the $4.95 is for the grande)

[quote name='Cruising-along']I usually don't get specialty coffees (I prefer the taste of pure coffee, no flavorings). But since we had a lot of OBC on our recent cruise, I got the coffee card ($29). You get 10 punches. We had 10 sea days and I got a specialty coffee each sea day.

By getting grandes I saved quite a bit. For instance the special of the day cost $3.95, and over $4.00 for a grande. You can get this for one punch -- so I figure my $29 card was quite a bargain.[/quote]

[quote name='calteacher']Does the coffee card allow for the daily special? for the larger size? Thanks.[/quote]

I'm quoting myself above to answer your question :) When I bought the coffee card, I was told then that the way to save the MOST $$ is to buy the coffee of the day in the larger (grande) size. Since they cost $4.45 and I got 10 of them for $29, IMO I feel like it was a bargain. :)

[quote name='Cruising-along']I'm quoting myself above to answer your question :) When I bought the coffee card, I was told then that the way to save the MOST $$ is to buy the coffee of the day in the larger (grande) size. Since they cost $4.45 and I got 10 of them for $29, IMO I feel like it was a bargain. :)[/quote]
Yes, that seems to be the only way to really make it worthwhile. Most of the stuff on the menu will only make you a few dollars at the most, and that assumes you get the largest size of the most expensive drink there, other than the daily special.

Aside: I hate it at restaurants when the daily special is more expensive than anything else on the menu (and they don't volunteer the price)!

[quote name='DutchByAssociation']Here's the prices onboard Amsterdam as of May 2, I had planned on including this info in a future post, but uploaded it now so I could link to it for your answer.

[URL]http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/05/amsterdam-explorations-cafe-coffee-menu.html[/URL][/quote]So I noticed that the Grande daily special claims to be $4.45 on that menu, but someone else said it's $4.95. Which is correct?

Archived