Amsterdam Explorations Cafe coffee drink prices

zelker

Am trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy one of the coffee cards or just pay a la carte. Does anyone know what the going rate for coffee drinks are these days? And are the cards good for any size?

Thanks.

I never purchased a coffee in the cafe......but I saw lots of people doing so. (I just get my coffee in the lido and doctor it up...too cheap to buy it elsewhere.) The price must have been reasonable....but try as I will I can't recall.

Am trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy one of the coffee cards or just pay a la carte. Does anyone know what the going rate for coffee drinks are these days? And are the cards good for any size?

Thanks.

I am interested in this topic as well. My husband likes strong coffee (Starbucks) and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase the coffee card and perhaps get better tasting coffee in the Explorations Cafe. We will be on the Eurodam.

diane

The card is good for grandes and for just about everything (hot chocolate, various lattes) except maybe some special add ins. The card is a good value if you get the grande size and something other than just coffee.

Here are the prices on the Noordam in December. I imagine the prices on the Amsterdam are similar.

From our recent Noordam cruise--tall/grande

Espresso 1.20 1.70 Iced coffee Amer. 1.60 2.10

Americano 1.60 2.10 Ice cof. Latte 2.10 2.60

Latte 2.10 2.60 Ice cof Mocha 2.35 2.85

Caramello 2.55 3.05 Creamcicle 2.55 3.05

Hot Choc 2.10 2.60 Ital. sodas 1.25

Tazo Chai Tazo Iced Latte 1.85 2.00

Latte 1.85 Specialty water 2.25

Tazo Prem. Tea 1.60 Extra Espresso shot .45

Thanks for posting the prices. You're right - they're probably the same or similar. So doesn't really make sense to buy the coffee card as it seems you don't gain anything financially since one drink using the card would be $2.99. I drink grande lattes which are $2.60 plus the 15% serv. fee equals $2.99. Same price. And if you drink less expensive drinks, it's certainly no bargain. Hmmmm -- what's the point of the card, then? Am I missing something? :confused:

Hmmmm -- what's the point of the card, then? Am I missing something? :confused:
Some people like the convenience of not having to sign for the drink and keep track of all the slips of paper if they want to monitor their spending. Also, remember that the card is only supposed to be good "for the duration of the cruise", so if you leave even one unused punch you've lost money. Some ships will take a carry-over card, but we had a coffee card refused on the Zuiderdam. That's the point where we stopped buying them. As soon as the expected "universal beverage card" gets implemented carry-over cards will definitely be refused.

Some people like the convenience of not having to sign for the drink and keep track of all the slips of paper if they want to monitor their spending. Also, remember that the card is only supposed to be good "for the duration of the cruise", so if you leave even one unused punch you've lost money.

It's just as easy for us to keep track of receipts in a pocket as to keep track of the card. ;) On a 14 night cruise, the two of us would definitely use the 10 drinks but even still, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the info.

We found that plain coffee from the Explorations Cafe was not only better than what was served in the Lido (Starbucks-like), but free. Give it a try.

Is that true plain coffee in the Explorations is FREE?

Thanks for posting the prices. You're right - they're probably the same or similar. So doesn't really make sense to buy the coffee card as it seems you don't gain anything financially since one drink using the card would be $2.99. I drink grande lattes which are $2.60 plus the 15% serv. fee equals $2.99. Same price. And if you drink less expensive drinks, it's certainly no bargain. Hmmmm -- what's the point of the card, then? Am I missing something? :confused:

I usually don't get specialty coffees (I prefer the taste of pure coffee, no flavorings). But since we had a lot of OBC on our recent cruise, I got the coffee card ($29). You get 10 punches. We had 10 sea days and I got a specialty coffee each sea day.

By getting grandes I saved quite a bit. For instance the special of the day cost $3.95, and over $4.00 for a grande. You can get this for one punch -- so I figure my $29 card was quite a bargain.

If you have a coffee/tea card and get a priced drink (using a punch) you can also get a free regular coffee. They seem to be generous with this.

Often I get one of each. No problem.

Also if I happen to get a really good server, I give a cash tip. That really makes the wheels turn in my direction.

Service is always better during off peak times.

I find that if early in the cruise I can find a friendly server in the Explorations and give a tip of at least $5, the rest of the cruise goes MUCH better.

The coffee card opens up the door (so to speak). The tip helps.

On cold days (Alaska) I enjoy having a really good double hot chocolate with a double shot of espresso. If the place isn't mobbed and I can really talk to the server, I can get it exactly the way I want it made.

It doesn't take the guys long to look out for me.

Do they have pastries in the Exploration Cafe as well? If so, what is the cost? I assume they aren't free, are they?

As an aside, one thing that really upset me when we sailed the RCI Grandeur of the Seas was that they had a coffee place (like Starbucks) that also had cookies and pastries. The food was free -- but only if you bought a drink, otherwise you couldn't get it. And there was no other place on the ship where you could get them most of the time, unless the buffet was open, in which case you had to go up 6 decks to find it.

We found that plain coffee from the Explorations Cafe was not only better than what was served in the Lido (Starbucks-like), but free. Give it a try.

That's interesting....I didn't realize anything was free there. I made LOTS of trips up the stairs for refill my coffee when I was sitting right there. Do you just go up and ask?

Have been on all the ships except Prinsendam -- there were no free coffees in the Exploration Cafe.

I believe Johnny B meant the opposite of what he posted. That he preferred the free coffee from the Lido over the Starbucks-like coffee from the Exploration's Cafe.

Do they have pastries in the Exploration Cafe as well? If so, what is the cost? I assume they aren't free, are they?

As an aside, one thing that really upset me when we sailed the RCI Grandeur of the Seas was that they had a coffee place (like Starbucks) that also had cookies and pastries. The food was free -- but only if you bought a drink, otherwise you couldn't get it. And there was no other place on the ship where you could get them most of the time, unless the buffet was open, in which case you had to go up 6 decks to find it.

Yes, they have pastries, but like the atrium cafes on the other lines, they usually tell you the free pastries are included when you purchase a drink.

Years ago, they used to have a 'Java Cafe' where the wine-tasting bar is on 'S' and 'R' HAL ships that gave free cookies and coffees.

What they have to go with your coffee/tea varies throught the day. I watch out for the Dutch chocolate items. They also have traditional Dutch cookies that are made on purpose for dunking in your coffee.

As with many other cruise companies, there is a charge for the beverages for for a couple of bucks you can get a nice coffee and a sweet. I don't think that is a bad deal.

As with many other cruise companies, there is a charge for the beverages for for a couple of bucks you can get a nice coffee and a sweet. I don't think that is a bad deal.

Unless you don't want a coffee (or other non-free drink) and just want the cookie (and especially if you're a teenager). We had previously been on Voyager of the Seas and they had a place where you could get all sorts of free snacks on the Promenade, then we got to Grandeur and found there was nothing comparable, but they had this place that sold coffee and ice cream and they had the free pastries and cookies there. But they weren't really free because you couldn't get them without spending something.

So it sounds like if the Lido buffet is closed and you want something that Explorations has "free" but don't want a drink, your only choice is room service (assuming they have such things available there).

Unless you don't want a coffee (or other non-free drink) and just want the cookie (and especially if you're a teenager). We had previously been on Voyager of the Seas and they had a place where you could get all sorts of free snacks on the Promenade, then we got to Grandeur and found there was nothing comparable, but they had this place that sold coffee and ice cream and they had the free pastries and cookies there. But they weren't really free because you couldn't get them without spending something.

So it sounds like if the Lido buffet is closed and you want something that Explorations has "free" but don't want a drink, your only choice is room service (assuming they have such things available there).

And with room service, it is customary to give your server a tip, so that's not really free either.

The only 24/7 places on cruise ships to get free pastries are the Promenade Cafe's that you mentioned on RCCL 'Voyageur Class' ships,

and also the 'Blue Lagoon Cafe's on NCL ships. There may be some others out there, but on HAL the only 24 hour availability is for coffee and tea at the Lido.

CCC

And with room service, it is customary to give your server a tip, so that's not really free either.

The only 24/7 places on cruise ships to get free pastries are the Promenade Cafe's that you mentioned on RCCL 'Voyageur Class' ships,

I have almost never done room service but I thought it's typically your room steward who delivers it so tipping is not necessary since you're already tipping them? Also I am not 100% positive but I think the RCI Liberty and Oasis class ships would also have free food places on the promenade on those ships. I know that Liberty has a pay coffee place there but there was a place for free food.

Archived