Best hangover remedy

This is in response to the "dangerous cruise drinks" thread...

I'm fairly new to drinking (only 3 years) although I'm a middle-ager. So far, I've managed to avoid getting drunk--mostly to avoid the hangover and/or because I was driving. But I have a feeling I might be tempted to over-imbibe on my first cruise. (Pina coladas--Yum!!:) ). Just in case--what's the best hangover remedy? I would think the cure would be more difficult on a ship with the rocking motion and no store/pharmacy readily available...

Plenty of water. Alcohol causes dehydration. That crappy feeling among other reasons is a lack of fluids in your system.

Definitely some water before going to bed.

Or, don't drink too much alcohol.

Best hangover cure... Being on a cruise! Seriously, there is so much to do on a cruise that even if I am hungover, I pull myself out of it so I can enjoy every second of my vacation. (Also sitting in the sun, getting some good breakfast, and a pina colada around 11 can help)

Best hangover remedy? Not drinking! That's what my wife tells me, but that's no fun! I drink water between drinks... Have also heard that have a few vicodins before, during, and after drinking helps... That's what I HEARD!

I've found that alternating adult drinks with low-test drinks (water, lemonade, etc.) prevents dehydration and keeps me feeling much better the next day. Having a sea day to sit out in the breeze, take a nap, etc. helps, too.

As a preventative, you can try putting some protein on your stomach before you go to sleep, as well as drinking a lot of water. Ibuprofen is your friend. And something my brother taught me in my youth that doesn't sound plausible, but works for us: a greasy spoon breakfast (eggs, toast, etc.) with lots of coffee and Oj.

Personally, I wouldn't take any kind of pain killer before or during drinking. It's not good for your liver or your stomach, and can actually increase the effect of alcohol on you. IMO, the best things to do if you overindulge are A. Drink plenty of water, B. Try not to go to bed drunk (let yourself sober up a bit first), and C. Get plenty of sleep. Vitamin B12 is supposed to help with hangovers, as is Vitamin C. If you take a multivitamin, you're probably covered for those.

Of course, it's best to avoid having a hangover in the first place, as they can be a real pain to get rid of! I generally never get them, even though I do like to drink, because I space my drinks out and drink water in between. :)

I think I read somewhere that Alka-Seltzer was orginally intended for hangovers, because it can settle ur stomach and also has something for the headache. Also, I've heard people say to eat something with bread before u go to sleep (like a hot dog or something), to "soak up" the alcohol...lol I don't know if that is true, could be one of those old wives tales.

Oh and ppl also say that drinking a beer will cure ur hangover, but I've never been able to try that one as I always want nothing to do with more alcohol when I have a hangover.

There is a show on Discovery Channel called Mythbusters that did an episode about hangovers. They tried all sorts of things on their test subjects, but I don't remember what the conclusion was. Maybe try to google it.

If you're going to drink that many Pina coladas to get you a hangover, I guarantee you will get sick from the sugar and sweetness of them before getting drunk (unless you know the bartender!) LOL

I'm definitely a lightweight when it comes to drinking so it wouldn't take many! I feel the effects after only a couple of shots:p

Don't mix your drinks while you are drinking. For myself, I have noticed that the hangover is not quite as bad when I stick with the same drink all night. Rather than having a few of this and one of those and then something else. Stick with the same thing. And the water also. Water, water, water.

Lots and lots of water both before and after.

If i know that i have had too much, i force myself to drink several glasses of water. Alcohol dehydrates the body and causes the headaches, and the "woozy" feeling the next morning. Drinking water rehydrates and counter acts that. I also like getting a good meal to start, and the next morning getting a good meal. This has always worked for me.

another remedy, is to stay drunk!

This always works for us ;)

Seriously, drink a large glass of water in between each adult beverage. Being out in the sun all day is enough to dehydrate you and the drinks make it worse.

If I wake up with a hangover I take ibuprofen and tums. I also second the greasy food to cure a hangover.

Don't mix your drinks while you are drinking. For myself, I have noticed that the hangover is not quite as bad when I stick with the same drink all night. Rather than having a few of this and one of those and then something else. Stick with the same thing. And the water also. Water, water, water.

I mentioned this in the beginning, but it works...

The rule is: Beer before Whisky, mighty risky.

Other is: Whisky before Beer, never fear!

If you really enjoy Pina Coladas, don't get drunk on them. You will get sick and then you won't like them them anymore ;) (not that I'm speaking from past experience or anything...)

Go with some solid carbs before drinking, lots of water throughout, a pain reliever and another glass of water before bed, alka seltzer in the morning, and a greasy,carby breakfast.

I mentioned this in the beginning, but it works...

The rule is: Beer before Whisky, mighty risky.

Other is: Whisky before Beer, never fear!

Hadn't heard that one before, we always say

Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, never fear!

The best remedy is a combination of things:

-Water to combat the dehydration

-V8/tomato juice to replace some of the salt you lost from all the original extra hydration you pee'd out last night.

-Technically, a little more alcohol. Your body goes into a withdrawl from having that alcohol in it. That's why Bloody Marys are often found during Sunday Brunch.

-aspirin/mydol to help to brain/body aches

-sleep. You won't feel bad if you're not awake.

-food. As much as you don't want to eat, a meal a little more on the greasy side will help fill that tummy and help slow down whatever is still in your tummy that needs to be processed.

Prevention:

like said, mix in water between drinks, stay away from medications taken while drunk-some don't interact well with alcohol. Eat before you go to bed. Assuming you're sober enough to eat and keep it down, go for something not too spicy, and heavy on slower digesting foods that will slow the alcohol from absorbing.

Archived