CBP May Screen Passengers on Cruises

SO glad to hear that. I've also thought that cruise ships can be a huge target for terrorists considering the large number of people gathered in one place.

I'm glad to hear that measures are being taken NOW instead of waiting for something really bad to happen in order to take action...

I actually thought that they were already doing that. Sounds like an excellent idea. Hopefully it will instituted as soon as possible.

I also thought they were doing that! Had no idea they weren't. Gets me a bit nervous to think that they didn't have that form of mass transportation covered.

I actually thought that they were already doing that. Sounds like an excellent idea. Hopefully it will instituted as soon as possible.

I think currently they just do warrant checks which no action is taken until the person actually return back to the port of departure. Sounds like this would be done before people board. If implemented, it could also change the time frame people could book last min.

Agreed. You can hurt a lot more people targeting a cruise ship than a plane. I would have thought this was being done all along!

With freedom comes certain risks. I for one don't live in fear like the terrorists want us to. I learn to live with the risk freedom entails. You accept that risk because freedom is worth it.

I prefer to take the risk, but that is only my opinion.

I haven't really paid attention to the badges of the people doing the embarkation screening... But they have passenger names and passport numbers in advance. Passports are checked, we go through metal detectors, and our carry-ons and our luggage are x-rayed. It is not like there isn't already pretty decent screening in place.

Plus, a ship is a much studier vessel than an aircraft. An explosion that would take an aircraft down would make a messy black smudge on the paint on a ship, for comparison. They aren't as vulnerable to such malicious acts. And there are cameras EVERYWHERE.

Yes, ships carry more people, but so do shopping malls for that matter. The cruise ships seem a pretty secure place to vacation in my opinion.

SO glad to hear that. I've also thought that cruise ships can be a huge target for terrorists considering the large number of people gathered in one place.

I'm glad to hear that measures are being taken NOW instead of waiting for something really bad to happen in order to take action...

Sadly the measures being taken at this time are for SHOW ~~!!~~

I can assure form from my experiences that had I been a bad guy, I could have boarded Carnival with many more pound of explosive than needed to cause the 100,000+ gallons of diesel fuel to go POOF !

Sadly also enough assault rifles could be brought aboard to easily control the bridge and other sensitivity area......

I can only hope, after two years, that some positive actions are being put into place to close this huge gap in security....

I haven't really paid attention to the badges of the people doing the embarkation screening... But they have passenger names and passport numbers in advance. Passports are checked, we go through metal detectors, and our carry-ons and our luggage are x-rayed. It is not like there isn't already pretty decent screening in place.

Plus, a ship is a much studier vessel than an aircraft. An explosion that would take an aircraft down would make a messy black smudge on the paint on a ship, for comparison. They aren't as vulnerable to such malicious acts. And there are cameras EVERYWHERE.

Yes, ships carry more people, but so do shopping malls for that matter. The cruise ships seem a pretty secure place to vacation in my opinion.

You seem to be forgetting ship carry an awful lot of diesel fuel... Like a gallon for every 6 inches of movenment... I'm-a-kinda' like thinking that if that much fuel went boom you would have more than a messy black smudge.

You seem to be forgetting ship carry an awful lot of diesel fuel... Like a gallon for every 6 inches of movenment... I'm-a-kinda' like thinking that if that much fuel went boom you would have more than a messy black smudge.

Good point, but it they don't exactly give passengers access to the diesel tanks and other operations areas. But I suppose McGyver could do it with little difficulty. :) And the fuel is thick, heavy sludge like what is floating out in the gulf now. Not exactly volatile.

it would be easier fot THEM to target other things.

I think cruise ships are probably very safe, compared to a mall or sporting event.

I bet it would be very hard to take out an entire ship.

There are easier targets elsewhere, so nothing to worry about here.

I don't want to go to that subject in this paranoid world, but lets just just say the easiest ways to do harm to a cruise ship would not involve going on as a passenger anyway.

To be honest I would not feel a bit safer with the airport guys doing the check in.

it would be easier fot THEM to target other things.

I think cruise ships are probably very safe, compared to a mall or sporting event.

I bet it would be very hard to take out an entire ship.

There are easier targets elsewhere, so nothing to worry about here.

Yes! I think the Carnival guys do a great job of keeping us safe. Getting to the port to board the ship is much more dangerous.

Good point, but it they don't exactly give passengers access to the diesel tanks and other operations areas. But I suppose McGyver could do it with little difficulty. :) And the fuel is thick, heavy sludge like what is floating out in the gulf now. Not exactly volatile.

AND you think 500 pounds of C-4 would not do the job??? I see the fire in the gulf, and I would NOT want to be in the middle of that inferno.....

About 20 bad guys, all with Uzi's or AK-47 could handle the situation much better than McGver???

4 to the bridge, sparing no one.

4 to the power generator(no electricity), sparing no one in the way

4 to the front of gas holding tanks, sparing no one

4 to the mid ship, sparing no one

4 to the aft fuel tank, and also a nice charge to the side of the ship at the lowest levels..., Again sparing no one... As this is quite possible to bring several thousand rounds of ammo on board.....

This may sound like a far out horror movie, believe me it is very doable, and possible.. And with no power or lights, and no leadership or direction coming from the bridge, 5 huge explosions, and flames rushing thought the ship, the last place I would want to be is one of the 8,500 people on that ship.

A very scary situation, hopefully this hole will be closed very soon, in the mean time it pay all American citizens to be very vigil.

The writer of the article does not know what the HECK he is talking about.

Since Feb 2008, ALL cruiselines have to submit a passenger manifest to the CBP one hour prior to sailaway. Unlike the airlines, they cannot add anyone to the manifest once submitted. It is why you have to be checked in one hour prior to sailaway if you have filled out your Funpass and 1.5 hours prior if you have not.

The list is vetted and anyone that raises a flag is looked at closer with a more thorough background check.

Prior to this the cruiselines had to submit a passenger manifest within 15 minutes of departure.

All the guy had to do was read the final rule that was published April 23, 2007.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/apis_pre_departure.ctt/apis_pre_departure.pdf

Dave

This is why I always have my swiss army knife and a roll of duct tape. That is all that is required to do anything from repelling terrorists to building a shopping mall.

The bridge is expendable.

You Go Sarge..... I wanna' be on your team ~~!!~~

SAVE at least our life boat, and with duct tape the only other thing we will need, we can grab a bottle of the good stuff on the way out........

Totally disagree with your assessment as to weather an explosion aboard a cruise ship would cause just a black smudge--how can you be so naive.

BG

Archived