How much was your OBC from your TA?

shoegal24

I've been in sales all of my life and I personally would never pass up the opportunity to make a new contact - and yes, through the years I have given up a part of substantial commissions to make a deal that would pay off in the long run. Did I ever get burned - of course, but that is the way it goes. Networking is still the name of the game - it's a shame some people still don't get it and then they wonder why they struggle.

Well not everyone has to give up a part of a substantial commission to make a sale. Many of the TA community that are not discounting and not dealing in volume and charging fees for all of their services are not struggling at all.

There are far more clients who need a lot of hand holding and there are many who won't book a certain cruise line because the money is not worth their time. But you go on chasing that OBC as it does not bother very many agents at all because there are the majority of cruisers who are not and who appreciate service and having a personal relationship with their agent. Since most client's will not book with the same agency twice, it makes sense to not give away the store to an unproven client. Most agents I know will award loyalty when a certain level has been reached either in number of cruises booked or sales made, but certainly not on the first booking ever.

Okay, I've booked with NCL - a $5800 Courtyard Villa on an Epic 11-night Transatlantic a year from now. I went to the competing quotes website and was very specific about the room, the price, the AARP discount, that I would transfer the reservation and that I was interested particularly in OBCs. Got four quotes back and NONE of them came anywhere close to 10%! Best offer was $150 OBC, bottle of wine, + speciality dining for 2 at Italian restaurant (which is a $20 value).

So what do I do now? Do I pick up the phone and call online agencies? Or the quoting agencies? Or do I need to wait until I'm closer in to the sail date? Help please? :o Thanks!

Okay, I've booked with NCL - a $5800 Courtyard Villa on an Epic 11-night Transatlantic a year from now. I went to the competing quotes website and was very specific about the room, the price, the AARP discount, that I would transfer the reservation and that I was interested particularly in OBCs. Got four quotes back and NONE of them came anywhere close to 10%! Best offer was $150 OBC, bottle of wine, + speciality dining for 2 at Italian restaurant (which is a $20 value).

So what do I do now? Do I pick up the phone and call online agencies? Or the quoting agencies? Or do I need to wait until I'm closer in to the sail date? Help please? :o Thanks!

OBC is a bigger deal with Celebrity because TAs aren't allowed to discount prices, but for NCL you might already be receiving a discount price so there's not going to be a hefty OBC on top of that. When I book Princess I can usually count on a 10% discount from princess prices, I'm not going to see more than $50 OBC on top of that.

I followed CC advice to pick a room and shore excursions, but still had plenty of questions. The TA in my small town couldn't offer any OBC, although admittedly I'd prefer to support the local economy. The online TA I turned it over to gave me free prepaid gratuities, a value of $384, for a $5700 booking, and answered a lot of questions too.

Then go ahead and try it with Carnival. I promise you the policy has been in effect for almost a year now: no transfers may be made after 30 days of a direct booking.

I have had the impression that Carnival is expanding there in house booking. They have made several non-friendly TA changes lately. :confused:

Many of the TA community that are not discounting and not dealing in volume and charging fees for all of their services are not struggling at all.

I'm glad to hear that - I was under the impression that many small agencies went out of business this past year - I know of several here in Cincinnati that had been around for years and are now gone.

The reality is we are living in the age of the Internet. Most people today check online before they buy anything including cruises. The small TA firms may find themselves extinct before long as I doubt the Internet and its shopping are going away any time soon.

Sorry, just an observation!!

Hi

I followed ome advice given herere cruises and ask "competitors " forbetter pricing on BTB cruises with different companies I am interested in.One mentioned fees I thought that was a NO+NOAnother would up the price but give me 300$ ObC .I'm not sure if their price were adjusted if I would keep the OBC.HOw can you verify if the OBC is really there?

My princess cruise ..i got what seemed a better rate ...no OBC offered..but no specific cabin

I find it ALL very confusing Someone here said I should Always get OBC for Princess cruises uo to 11% now that would really help This cruise is expensive

I'm also scared to be taken ..So many people were when agencies caved in

One required I sign documents for her to take over my file ...never did that before If I give them the booking number should that not be enough ?

I have done ALL the work with my PVP but her prices are still too high ...they are expected to go down ..bUt I'm still waiting

Can someone help me sort it out I really do not want to goof!!!!

Michele

OBC is a bigger deal with Celebrity because TAs aren't allowed to discount prices, but for NCL you might already be receiving a discount price so there's not going to be a hefty OBC on top of that.

Ahhh - you're right, there is a discounted rate plus the smaller OBC offered. Thanks for the insight. I love these CC boards!

Hi

I followed ome advice given herere cruises and ask "competitors " forbetter pricing on BTB cruises with different companies I am interested in.One mentioned fees I thought that was a NO+NOAnother would up the price but give me 300$ ObC .I'm not sure if their price were adjusted if I would keep the OBC.HOw can you verify if the OBC is really there?

My princess cruise ..i got what seemed a better rate ...no OBC offered..but no specific cabin

I find it ALL very confusing Someone here said I should Always get OBC for Princess cruises uo to 11% now that would really help This cruise is expensive

I'm also scared to be taken ..So many people were when agencies caved in

One required I sign documents for her to take over my file ...never did that before If I give them the booking number should that not be enough ?

I have done ALL the work with my PVP but her prices are still too high ...they are expected to go down ..bUt I'm still waiting

Can someone help me sort it out I really do not want to goof!!!!

Michele

Hi Michelle - You have a considerable number of posts, so I have to assume you are not new to cruising. I can only suggest you check with several on-line agencies to get a feel for pricing and perks offered. I don't believe OBC's are ever a guarantee, but you can find them if you do your homework. I always look at the bottom line - at times there are better deals without OBC's than with. Personally, I would never pay a fee for someone to book a cruise unless I was sure I was getting a fantastic deal to offset the charge, but that is just me. It certainly was not my intention to knock TA's by some of my posts - I think they provide a valuable service for those people who either need or want extra help. It really boils down to your own comfort level and experience. And it does take time to make an informed and intelligent decision if getting the best deal is your objective.

Then go ahead and try it with Carnival. I promise you the policy has been in effect for almost a year now: no transfers may be made after 30 days of a direct booking.

I plan on it and I'll report back here as to the results.

I've not yet been led astray from the TA and they confirmed with Carnival. Also, I have not read of anyone here on CC having a problem doing so, hence my skepticism to your comment.

Furthermore, It's possibly a policy that is impossible to enforce. What would prevent me from just cancelling the reservation with XXX cruise line if before final payment and rebooking direct with the TA to gain the OBC? If I did this immedieately, doubtful I would lose my room.

Hi Michelle - You have a considerable number of posts, so I have to assume you are not new to cruising. I can only suggest you check with several on-line agencies to get a feel for pricing and perks offered. I don't believe OBC's are ever a guarantee, but you can find them if you do your homework. I always look at the bottom line - at times there are better deals without OBC's than with. Personally, I would never pay a fee for someone to book a cruise unless I was sure I was getting a fantastic deal to offset the charge, but that is just me. It certainly was not my intention to knock TA's by some of my posts - I think they provide a valuable service for those people who either need or want extra help. It really boils down to your own comfort level and experience. And it does take time to make an informed and intelligent decision if getting the best deal is your objective.

You are right I am not new to cruising .Upon closer examination the OBC were not as good as first presented not real balconies somewhat obstructed ..needed to pay more to get OBC ...cabin not in ideal location etc etc etc My PVP gave me better cabins as far as the kind of location I want for the same price .No OBC from Princess yet Like I said I will stick to PVP I too refuse fees .Thanks for your imput

Michele

Would you kindly let us know how often this happens? It's never happen to us and I've yet to read on CC that this is a problem "That happens far more often than you might ever know."

We've used an online TA for 10+ cruises in the last 3 years and have never not gotten our 10% OBC.

Unfortunately, it did happen to me. I always do all the work, and for the first time I transferred to a recommended (albeit smaller) agent after interviewing a number of them who were recommended to me. The money never came. I emailed him several times from the ship, but that gets expensive. I held his feet to the fire once we got back home, and I finally got a check, but it was a hassle.

Kathy

I have used the same local TA for my last four cruises with no OBC ever offered. I plan to cancel my next cruise with this agent and find one offering OBC. What are the best procedures that I should follow in selecting my next agent? Should I go ahead and make a new reservaton with Celebrity and then transfer to the new agent?

Also, how do you verify that you really do have OBC in your account?

Ann

I have used the same local TA for my last four cruises with no OBC ever offered. I plan to cancel my next cruise with this agent and find one offering OBC. What are the best procedures that I should follow in selecting my next agent? Should I go ahead and make a new reservaton with Celebrity and then transfer to the new agent?

Also, how do you verify that you really do have OBC in your account?

Ann

To find an agency, start at the top of this page with the "Cruise Agencies" link. These are agencies that advertise on Cruise Critic. Then interview them about things that are important to you. Any fees to change or cancel, do they honor price drops, things like that. If being a member of the Better Business Bureau or a chamber of commerce is important to you then ask that. As for the OBC, a lot of the time it's not called in until just before sailing. I would think as long as you have a confirmation or statement from the agency stating that they are providing an onboard credit then 99% of the time or more, things will be fine. In the small chance that the OBC doesn't appear, it's usually just a mistake and generally you will be made whole after the cruise, for example the agency sending you a check.

Good luck on however you choose to book and happy cruising!

We just booked a 15 day cruise with Celebrity and received $300 in OBC, or 10% of the base rate from our online TA, which is their standard practice. Since Celebrity doesn't allow the cruise cost to be reduced, we got an OBC. With other lines, such as Princess, we get a 10% reduction in the cost of the cruise instead.

After a dozen cruises I really don't need much in the way of service, so an nline TA works great for us. I've been using the same one for about 7 years now and feel very good about their service abilities.

Tamara

I'd like to chime in to say how appalled I am by the numer of posters who feel that they are entitled to receive various On Board Credits, which are not an entitlement at all, but a promotional vehicle. I'm not as learned in the travel business as some of you, but I am a businessman, and here's how it works, I believe.

1. Cruise fares will fluctuate according to the supply and demand of cabin space. There is likely to be a bottom limit that a combination of low fare and promotional discount cannot exceed. So, a heavily discounted fare might be combined with a smaller perk, or a full fare basis can be sweetened with a larger promotion. Either way, there is the predetermined bottom price to target, set by the cruise line.

2. Promotional allowances can consist of OBCs or Prepaid Gratuities or other perks. They don't grow on trees -- they are offered by the cruise line as booking incentives. Higher volume agencies often have more of these options to play with, but they are extended by the cruise line to be passed through to the passengers. There are still limits.

3. Travel agent profit margins will also vary, and it is totally at the discretion of the TA if they would like to offer their clients a portion of their commission as a gift, incentive to book again in the future, or just to be nice. It is not required.

So, sometimes there are better deals to be had than others. It is ultimately the responsibility of the client to do their research, and to shop around for the most ideal cruise value for the money, either from an online agency, or a local brick-and-mortar agent.

My DW and I are most fortunate to have a long-term relationship with our TA. Her service is superb, and she treats our reservation as if she were making it for herself. She looks for the best cruise at the best price, based on our specifications -- we are very picky about our cabin and itinerary, and we do our homework beforehand. And, she passes through every promotional penny that can be obtained through the cruise line. And she always offers us a bonus of some kind from her own pocket, which is never expected, but always appreciated. :D

Hope this helps -- be as prepared as you can, and shop till you drop; you can usually find a cruise at a price that will work for you!

Regards, Ned

We took advantage of a price drop once -- the OBC dropped just about the same amount.

Our agent has been very fair -- we have an upcoming Carnival cruise that we got a killer deal on -- no OBC is list on our confirmation -- maybe we'll get a bottle of wine!

Another one we got $250 - for a 15 day

It is certainly related to the amount of the fare paid.

:)Glad I stumbled on to this thread. I didn't even know what an OBC was until I'd read about half of the replies. Our travel agent sort of talked us out of booking on line and she did save us a few hundred dollars on air fare. I'm not expecting anything from her but then I've never been in a situation where the server tipped the patron.

Still waiting to have someone post what they do and just how much of their income they regularly give back to make a sale. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness the majority of a TA clients are not motivated by price.

One example would be every contractor in the building trades. When you are looking for someone to (for example) replace the siding on your house you call several people and usually take the lowest price. Where do you think that low price comes from??? His profits!!!

Even retail stores run sales with percentages off. Where do you think those percentages come from??? Their profits!!!

That's called the free market.

Do you get it now?

Still waiting to have someone post what they do and just how much of their income they regularly give back to make a sale. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness the majority of a TA clients are not motivated by price.

One example would be every contractor in the building trades. When you are looking for someone to (for example) replace the siding on your house you call several people and usually take the lowest price. Where do you think that low price comes from??? His profits!!!

Even retail stores run sales with percentages off. Where do you think those percentages come from??? Their profits!!!

That's called the free market.

Do you get it now?

Well said, chamima.

I still do not understand these repeated requests for CC members to discuss how much of their own income they are willing to give up. Why does it matter? We obviously are not travel agents. A travel agent is in the SALES profession. When a prospective customer is looking to do business for a particular service, he/she is going to look for the lowest price (assuming that the services provided by all vendors is of comparable quality). If you are in the sales business and hope to get this customer's business, you are going to have to make yourself appealing to them. Giving up some of your income that you otherwise wouldn't have earned? Perhaps. But some TAs would feel something is better than nothing. Some travel agents would feel it's not worth it. And that's ok - don't take our business. To imply somehow that people who shop around for the lowest price, the largest OBC, etc. is "lower class" is just unfair and unwarranted. Most CC members are here on these boards to learn how to shop for deals, to get tips to enjoy their cruise, and such. It doesn't make us any less of a cruiser than somebody who pays full price and receives absolutely no OBC.

Archived