Bon Voyage no sell Liquor complaint email add

I know what you mean ava. I told all 47 people that went with us last cruise, and the other 29 that have cruised with us. I made sure they knew how to get their past guest numbers, and for the truly lazy I typed a letter for them to copy and paste. Add to that the people they told, and one of them LIVES on the computer - blogs, the whole nine - and there's no telling how many people found out. And you know people here have told eveybody they know. And FWIW - we may be a small percentage, but we are a vocal group. :D

Yes... we are and we get an amazing amount of attention from Carnival.

Mach, I for one appreciate all that you do for us here on this board. I'm a loyal Carnival cruiser but lately I've been very saddened by all the cuts and rules they have implemented. Their lack of customer service is notorious but I can personally say in 16 cruises, I've never had a problem that wasn't addressed. They are soon going to lose their "fun cruise" reputation if they don't quit making so many bogus rules and cuts. For us, a drink on the balcony before we go to dinner is part of the enjoyment. I'm happy with wine but DH has other taste. Lets hope this issue can be resolved.

Pat

Why would anyone support this decision? Someone buying a bottle from bon voyage does not affect anyone else.

Pat

Some one had to have supported it in one fashion or another for it to hit the books.

Why? How? Got no clue, im just as curious as you. Maybe so they could get more bar sales the first day as most were hitting their hooch first? Just a thought.

I dont know however most times no matter what you have there is always at least two sides.

Mach, I for one appreciate all that you do for us here on this board. I'm a loyal Carnival cruiser but lately I've been very saddened by all the cuts and rules they have implemented. Their lack of customer service is notorious but I can personally say in 16 cruises, I've never had a problem that wasn't addressed. They are soon going to lose their "fun cruise" reputation if they don't quit making so many bogus rules and cuts. For us, a drink on the balcony before we go to dinner is part of the enjoyment. I'm happy with wine but DH has other taste. Lets hope this issue can be resolved.

Pat

There have been some big top down changes in Miami and I'm sure that the intent was for the best. I was told 'Carnival just realized that this isn't a mom & pop company anymore' and they've apparently made some changes to try to move more forcefully toward a modern company.

My opinion isn't worth much but I think that they've gone WAY overboard trying to update the organization. They've brought in too many folks who don't understand cruisers and how traditional or set in our ways we are.

I can guarantee you that selling a $19 bottle of vodka for $40 doesn't lose them money. Just like everyone else I think they need to take a close look at this policy.

It's obvious that continuing to make changes like this with little rhyme or reason does nothing to enhance Carnival's reputation.

Same could be said of the people that may support this decision though?

I guess that could be true, but not sure why someone woouldn't want the option to buy a bottle in your room.

One of my Aunts that I told does not even drink and she is upset to the max. She feels for the amount of money people pay, they should have that right.. :rolleyes:

Mach, I believe you hit the nail on the head by saying they've brought in corporates that don't truly understand the cruiser and only look at numbers and bottom lines. unfortunately, this will eventually drive away the seasoned cruiser.

pat

Ok now Im confused. Another person posted elsewhere on the subject:

We sailed on Splendor March 2010. Halfway through the cruise we ordered a liter of vodka from Guest Services. It was delivered to our room right away. I am wondering if Bon Voyage and Guest Services are one and the same? Will Carnival not allow passengers to order and receive alcohol while sailing?

If this is the case the policy change means little to me. Order now or after embarking makes no difference. As long as I have the freedom to enjoy the room I paid a premium for. Can anyone offer some clarity to this?

I guess that could be true, but not sure why someone woouldn't want the option to buy a bottle in your room.

One of my Aunts that I told does not even drink and she is upset to the max. She feels for the amount of money people pay, they should have that right.. :rolleyes:

It doesnt have to be customer driven. The decision could have been made by a suit. (I think you guys call them beards? why?) That could have been based on some sort of market check analyst fen shu thing.

And is that option totally removed or just the BV option of having it first night which may/should be a big night of drinking socializing outside of your room?

As you can see I dont support it or condone it. It is their choice and there had to have been some reasoning for it.....maybe... :D

I will be sending an email as soon as I finish writing this. I realize as many of you have mentionned that we are a small group and that our emails might not make a great impact. I am guessing that many of you might have facebook accounts and be "fans" of Carnival Cruise lines. At the moment there are over 132 000 fans on this site. I will be sending a post indicating the email address to contact for complaints.

I personally hope that the decision is reversed soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help and info.

Ok now Im confused. Another person posted elsewhere on the subject:

If this is the case the policy change means little to me. Order now or after embarking makes no difference. As long as I have the freedom to enjoy the room I paid a premium for. Can anyone offer some clarity to this?

I agree.. If we can still order a bottle in our room after embarking I wouldn't care about the change.. as long as I can have it during the sail and not just the night before the end of the sailing though...

It doesnt have to be customer driven. The decision could have been made by a suit. (I think you guys call them beards? why?) That could have been based on some sort of market check analyst fen shu thing.

And is that option totally removed or just the BV option of having it first night which may/should be a big night of drinking socializing outside of your room?

As you can see I dont support it or condone it. It is their choice and there had to have been some reasoning for it.....maybe... :D

Well, for reasons stated here clearly it can not be to control smuggling. Non smugglers have stated they may smuggle now. So one must assume, and I hate to assume anything, that it is $$$$$$$$$ driven. Even at a huge mark up on the bottles they sell, they make less money off of me if I buy a bottle right?

It makes $$$ sense in the pockets of Carnival... It has to...

Well, we will see.. The smugglers will still continue to smuggle, the non smugglers may start to smuggle.. some people may leave Carnival for this. Some may not and just drink less on the ships.. Who knows..:rolleyes:

I've just posted on that site, someone else made the mention, I have added the OP's message and am keeping my fingers crossed. If in fact we can order on ship great, but what is the likelihood that they would have on hand the right amounts and different types...not holding my breath on it!

I can guarantee you that selling a $19 bottle of vodka for $40 doesn't lose them money. Just like everyone else I think they need to take a close look at this policy.

Indeed. But (because they only look at the numbers) they believe that the passenger who is now not able to buy liquor from Bon Voyage, will buy that equivalent amount of drinks from the bars......thus resulting in more revenue for the ships. I believe they are mistaken.

First the power stip and then the hair dryers and curling irons. I'm sure if the powers to be were to take a cruise and told their wives they could not have their hair tools they would not have gone. That seems to be resolved but this BV upset is way out. they certainly make a profit on this at least $20 a bottle or more. After almost twenty cruises I guess we are done with Carnival even though we have one booked on an ES so don't want to cancel but feel bad as we have enjoyed all of our cruises but just can't believe this latest fisasco with the liquor that we would have purchased through BV. Also wonder if the powers to be were to cruise and want something in their rooms what they would do. Hopefully this will be resolved through the proper channels. So sorry that Carnival which is such a prime line would resort to these tactics.

Man- I JUST asked my guests yesterday what bottle they wanted.

My Letter:

Dear Mr. Shae,

I am a past guest who is also scheduled to get married on August 14, 2010 aboard the Elation- the wedding package alone cost me over 1600 including tax not to mention the 4 cabins my party has booked so far. This doesn't even include the other purchases such as wedding photography package that I will be making. I am very disappointed that my plans of giving my guests a bottle of alcohol from Bon Voyage as their wedding favor and enjoying a bottle in my room on my honeymoon is now out the window.

Regards,

I've been following these threads all day and just thought I would chime in.

I'm a relatively new cruiser. Yes, I haven't sailed other lines (yet). But even once I reach that Platinum status, I didn't see myself jumping ship to another line. Ultimately, I think Carnival is a great value for the money and the only thing that would probably send me to another line would be itinerary.

I didn't know that there were so many changes going on behind the scenes (bad stockholder! :o). And I can understand some changes need to be done for economic reasons. But these recent "mandates" are just plain ridiculous. Powerstrip ban? Whatever. I'll manage. 700 watt hair dryer? Obviously set in motion by a man who has never dried his hair. I will just risk my hairdryer and see what happens.

Have I smuggled booze? Yes. A lot of it? No. And for those who want to judge, let me guess? You always drive at the speed limit.

But this latest directive is just asinine. If they are truly serious about cutting out the smuggling, real smart to take away what I see as an extremely lucrative alternative. Even I was going to start looking into BV. I can't be bothered with walking up to the bar and carrying drinks back to the cabin, especially if it's while I'm getting ready for dinner and am in a bathrobe. ENOUGH with all these changes. As others have said, I truly believe it's only a matter of time before the soda and water privileges go bye bye as well.

At the very least, if BV alcohol is gone, I want a legitimate reason for this decision. And not some corporate toe the line BS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And whoever is responsible for this must have been on vacation during the powerstrip uproar. :rolleyes:

I thought I had seen someone talk about this and they had indicated they weren't able to do it. I don't remember specifics though....just remember reading something like in one of these threads.

Well, we will see.. The smugglers will still continue to smuggle, the non smugglers may start to smuggle.. some people may leave Carnival for this. Some may not and just drink less on the ships.. Who knows..:rolleyes:

Carnival should pay heed to this statement. You put it very well. No matter how Carnival slices it, they will not make any more money than what they are making now on liquor. Even though they have ratcheted-up their search for smugglers.......if the number of smugglers increases significantly, so will the ingenuity of the smugglers. They cannot catch them all. But, the biggest group (they'll lose on) will be the ones who purchase [liquor] from Bon Voyage: They would never smuggle in the first place, but at the same time they will not increase what they will buy from the bars either.......and now some of them may be tempted to smuggle.

Archived