**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

11 months? Woo Hoooo! That makes it seem closer.

Keep the photos coming. Makes me feel cooler in this heat.

Have been researching potential cruises for late fall into early winter this year. Haven't found anything of interest yet. Have a Med sailing on Azamara booked, but don't think we'll be able to take a 2 weeker this year.

Two days until I can start looking at airfare for this cruise on Continental.

Will be watching golf starting tomorrow... US Open at Pebble Beach.

Linda, what has Margie had to say about the Sapphire? Were they in Code Red during her sailing?

Was very "involved" following the college football realignment drama this week. Glad everything turned out the way it did.

Mary

Mary, it seems you and I have similar weekend plans, as I'll be glued to the Open. Promises to be a great tournament as always. The USGA was not very pleased with how Tiger embarrassed the course the last time at Pebble, so I'm sure it will play quite tough. I have high hopes for his performance, but I'm not too optimistic.

I was pretty shocked to see the Big 12 stay together. All the way till Sunday it seemed but a forgone conclusion that Texas and the others were leaving. I'm assuming you're a Longhorn anyway:) Either way, I'm glad it happened the way it did, cause I think it could have started a domino line of conferences merging, etc.

Anyway, back to cruising:) We have a short 4 nighter on Radiance of the Seas planned for our anniversary to get us by till next May. With all the excitement surrounding this cruise though, I've sort of forgotten we're doing that one...

11 months? Woo Hoooo! That makes it seem closer.

Keep the photos coming. Makes me feel cooler in this heat.

Have been researching potential cruises for late fall into early winter this year. Haven't found anything of interest yet. Have a Med sailing on Azamara booked, but don't think we'll be able to take a 2 weeker this year.

Two days until I can start looking at airfare for this cruise on Continental.

Will be watching golf starting tomorrow... US Open at Pebble Beach.

Linda, what has Margie had to say about the Sapphire? Were they in Code Red during her sailing?

Was very "involved" following the college football realignment drama this week. Glad everything turned out the way it did.

Mary

Yes, the Continental airfares will be opening up soon! I have been simulating trips for one week before ours but no deals out there yet. American is another good option for me as well as Delta.

I like to watch golf too and I will be enjoying the U.S. Open too!

The college football drama is great! I'm a Michigan fan and with the addition of Nebraska I can't wait for next year :D Sure wish Texas and Oklahoma wanted to come along. Maybe later :confused:

Margie came home sick from the Sapphire but doesn't think it was related to the novo outbreak and there was no code red announcement.....

Yes, the Continental airfares will be opening up soon! I have been simulating trips for one week before ours but no deals out there yet. American is another good option for me as well as Delta.

I like to watch golf too and I will be enjoying the U.S. Open too!

The college football drama is great! I'm a Michigan fan and with the addition of Nebraska I can't wait for next year :D Sure wish Texas and Oklahoma wanted to come along. Maybe later :confused:

Margie came home sick from the Sapphire but doesn't think it was related to the novo outbreak and there was no code red announcement.....

Michigan fan... Hmmm... Guess that's OK because I'm an anti-Ohio State fan. Doesn't appear that Oklahoma or Texas will be going anywhere for quite awhile. :D

I have been simulating deals too... There is one flight on Continental that stops in Seattle on the way to Vancouver, non-stop from Seattle home.... Not a bad price of $385. Prop plane from Seattle to Vancouver. It is a possibility....

Hot and hotter here... Upper 90's forecast for next week...

Mary

Continental flights are open for May 12 - May 21 but the only return flight available at that fare leaves SEA at 7:10 am :(

Will have to wait for American to open up next week......

Checked Continental this morning... Non stops to Vancouver, from Seattle....

$448 plus tax... $467. Not bad.... Will be a point of reference when EZAir pricing becomes available on Princess.

Read on the Princess board that the Golden does not have a Thermal Suite.... One of the perks I really liked on the CB....:(

Not much planned for the weekend except watching soccer, golf and doing yardwork (early in the day). I guess I could always clean my closet!:eek:

Mary

Can get $268 RT from TPA if I want to spend Saturday night in SEA. Problem is I'm always ready to come home when I get off the ship :)

$258 R/T to Seattle... In the end, we usually use FF miles....more flexibility.

Mary

$258 R/T to Seattle... In the end, we usually use FF miles....more flexibility.

Mary

Unfortunately I used all mine on the last trip and they were on Delta. Right now I have very little on both Continental or American :(

Unfortunately I used all mine on the last trip and they were on Delta. Right now I have very little on both Continental or American :(

I hesitate to use mileage on trips we can buy for under $500 pp. I'd like to save the miles for a trip to Europe..... Will see over the next few weeks.

Mary

Can get $268 RT from TPA if I want to spend Saturday night in SEA. Problem is I'm always ready to come home when I get off the ship :)

Linda what airline was this on? And I'm assuming it was to Vancouver, home via Sea? We have a free companion ticket on Delta, but its 48 states, meaning we were gonna do round trip seattle and take the trip. We plan on staying the Sat we get off the ship anyway, and for $268 we may just save that companion and go straight to YVR!

Linda what airline was this on? And I'm assuming it was to Vancouver, home via Sea? We have a free companion ticket on Delta, but its 48 states, meaning we were gonna do round trip seattle and take the trip. We plan on staying the Sat we get off the ship anyway, and for $268 we may just save that companion and go straight to YVR!

Hi, Deej

I think it was R/T Seattle. It is my understanding Linda and her friend Margie plan to fly to Seattle, spend a few days pre-cruise and take the train to Vancouver on embarkation day.

I'm sure she'll check-in soon.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Mary

That's correct! The fare was on Continental R/T to SEA and we are spending 2 days there pre-cruise before taking the train to the ship on May 14 :D

American and Delta are one week away yet.....

Continental is offering another return option this morning but it is a red eye....leaving SEA at 11:50 pm and arriving in TPA on Sunday morning at 10:40 am :(

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Looks like United is another option with a return time at 12:40 pm from SEA to TPA. Price is $314.....

DJ, since your doing a post cruise in SEA you should be able to work with the Continental schedule. Good luck!

I hesitate to use mileage on trips we can buy for under $500 pp. I'd like to save the miles for a trip to Europe..... Will see over the next few weeks.

Mary

Shoot you can book the both of you for just over $500 now. Maybe you want to consider doing the train to Vancouver? Business class is only $38 pp :D

Shoot you can book the both of you for just over $500 now. Maybe you want to consider doing the train to Vancouver? Business class is only $38 pp :D

I have not spotted that $258 fare out of Tampa, you guys must know a trick:) If we can get a good enough deal into Vancouver, we'd rather do that and have the extra day there, but if not we'll be doing the train from Seattle. I couldn't believe that price!

I have not spotted that $258 fare out of Tampa, you guys must know a trick:) If we can get a good enough deal into Vancouver, we'd rather do that and have the extra day there, but if not we'll be doing the train from Seattle. I couldn't believe that price!

DJ, the fare from TPA is $302 with all taxes. But the dates are only open through the 21st (Saturday that we return). So, depending on what day you need you may have to wait a few more days......

Margie is in Houston so she was able to get the $258 fare. Sorry for any confusion.

Good Afternoon.

I did talk to my DH about booking a Seattle R/T and taking the train to Vancouver. He wants to know how the luggage is handled on the train? Is is checked-in like on a flight? Charges for checked bags? I think we'll more than likely fly to Vancouver, but it never hurts to consider alternatives...

Mary

Hi y'all and sorry for being AWOL so long! Yes, my trip on the Sapphire was nice. I have never been on a bad cruise though..... I really did like the Sapphire a lot. She has some unique features that I found very appealing. There are outdoor seating areas aft that people dragged chairs to and enjoyed the ports in the late afternoon. Nothing wrong with sitting on deck watching people struggle to get back to the ship, holding a tall cold something or other, you know?

The weather on our trip was amazingly unpredictable. We had cold and drizzle in the 50's and sunny and clear in the 80's. That's what I love about Alaska -- you never know what you will get, but it's always great no matter what. Skagway was the best - warm, beautiful, and the people are so friendly it is a pleasure to visit there. The duckboat in Ketchikan was a blast, and I learned so much! That was my fourth trip to Ketchikan and I am very glad I did that. My mom didn't want to go because it was "spitting" but it was a blast. Our driver was from eastern Washington state, spends the summers in Ketchikan, and our guide was a young girl from Kethikan who was amazingly well-informed and a great asset for the tour. I'd do it again!

I too wonder why we are going to Victoria Island. It takes us out of the protected route, and after having been there once, thanks but I prefer the Inside Passage.

Linda is the best at spotting flight deals and hooked me with the Continental flight RT Houston-Seattle on Thurs, May 12, returning on Saturday, May 21. I'm extremely happy with the TOTAL price of $258. Booked and paid for already. I have paid $400 and more for Seattle, so this was a gift! Thanks for the eagle eyes, Linda.

Deej, we absolutely love the Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver. I have done the Super Shuttle (or whatever they call it) each way on other trips. It's not a bad ride at all and there is a lot of beautiful scenery. You might also check Alaska Air one-way flights to Vancouver just for comparison. The train is such a great sightseeing adventure and quite relaxing. It's a big part of the itinerary for us and really beautiful.

Linda and I are going "light" (how many times have we said that??) but we really mean it this time. Carryon luggage only. I have done it before and it is easy, just requires planning. Also we will skip formal night and eat by the pool or casual dining - that's one less pair of shoes!

I survived (just barely) my first full week at my new job so life is settling down a bit now. I'm ready to start planning for next year!!!

Good Afternoon.

I did talk to my DH about booking a Seattle R/T and taking the train to Vancouver. He wants to know how the luggage is handled on the train? Is is checked-in like on a flight? Charges for checked bags? I think we'll more than likely fly to Vancouver, but it never hurts to consider alternatives...

Mary

If I recall correctly (2002), we just took our luggage on board with us and put it into the luggage section of our train. We got the "first class" tickets which meant we got more spacious, reserved seats. That was definitely worth the extra $20 or so. Someone can chime in as to whether that has changed since we last went.

I have to agree, the train was a huge part of our trip and it was gorgeous scenery all the way. It's well worth it!

Katherine

Hi Katherine! Glad to see you post :)

Mary, we checked our bags on the last trip - very easy. When you arrive at the station the bags are tagged and taken from you right away. You can keep a carryon with you too. We upgraded to business class and you board first and since the seats are limited - the cue isn't long. I would recommend that for anyone considering the train. As Margie said we just consider this part of the adventure. Especially crossing over the Canadian border and seeing all the eagles on the beach at White Rock. It really is a beautiful way to start a cruise.

Also, Amtrak offers bus service to YVR throughout the day but since we prefer the train the only option is 7:40am (and it works for us). We will arrive at 11:30, catch a taxi to the ship and hopefully be aboard by 1pm :)

You guys bring up a good point and I do wonder why this cruise stops in Victoria. Really no point and it would be nice to take a slow sail back to Seattle through the inside passage. I guess all ships returning to Seattle have to follow a certain shipping route? Who knows :confused:

Forgot to mention.....and Margie brought this up. Do check out the one way fares to YVR from SEA. Continental, Delta, Alaska Air, United and Air Canada all do one way trips. Right now they are all in the $150's pp.

Archived