**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

I know what you mean, Mary. But when you take your mother and some of your adult children with you, cruising out of Galveston starts to take on a new light!

My experience with Carnival has been that their food is great, the customer service is great, but the ships have more neon and glitz than RCCL or Princess. That doesn't make them better or worse, just different. The crowd is about the same, which means it is defined by when and where you are sailing. A caribbean cruise during the holidays or spring break will automatically contain more children/teens/young adults, just like any cruise ship experience, regardless of the line.

My favorite cruise port from which to sail is Ft Lauderdale. There is a wide range of hotels from which to choose, dining and shopping ahead of time is easy, and the port is actually right there in the backyard. It is easy to fly in and out of and usually inexpensive. I actually enjoyed a duckboat tour there which was quite fun and informative! Everyone laughs at me about the duckboats, but I like them a lot.

Margie, too bad there isn't a duck tour in Victoria....that would make things easy :D

Maybe Carnival felt that they owed Galveston a long term commitment to help with rebuilding the area? I know people have mentioned what a long sail it is out to the open water from Bayport but it is the same from TPA. It takes about 2 hours to get under the Skyway Bridge and into the Gulf of Mexico. No one seems to mind though because passing under the bridge is a highlight......

We just returned from Alaska via the Golden. We loved her. The only other cruise we took was on carnival. Golden was a BIG step up. If my hubby can make up his mind I hope to join you on this cruise.

Great to hear you give the Golden a thumbs up. Hope you get to join us.

Mary

We just returned from Alaska via the Golden. We loved her. The only other cruise we took was on carnival. Golden was a BIG step up. If my hubby can make up his mind I hope to join you on this cruise.

Send hubby to the thread....we'll all help to convince him ;)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We're already excited about this one and hope that you join us! :D

Yes that was the exact opposite of what I had hoped for yesterday. No one wanted to win, and it basically became a race to see who could play the least bad. I like McDowell, and he seems like a nice guy, so I couldn't be upset he won, I had just hoped for something better out of the others, especially Tiger.

Yes that was the exact opposite of what I had hoped for yesterday. No one wanted to win, and it basically became a race to see who could play the least bad. I like McDowell, and he seems like a nice guy, so I couldn't be upset he won, I had just hoped for something better out of the others, especially Tiger.

So many balls out-of-play, in the bunker, etc..... Certainly did not bring out the best in the Top 3.....

I, too, think McDowell seems like a stand-up guy. Happy for him. The others .... not so good.

Will be in the mid-90's to 100 all week. Dreaming of Alaska....

Mary

Hi, everyone

A co-worker asked me about Alaska today. He heard I had been there several times. His brother lives in Anchorage and he wants to go.

I think I had more fun talking about it than he did considering the trip....:D

Mary

Talking about Alaska is great and always gets me excited about the next trip! :D

I'm still researching airfare and Delta and American will be open in the next couple of days. Heads up again DJ.

Talking about Alaska is great and always gets me excited about the next trip! :D

I'm still researching airfare and Delta and American will be open in the next couple of days. Heads up again DJ.

Yeah I noticed it looks like Delta will be open on Thursday, I'll have to keep an eye on American also. Thanks for the heads up Linda!

I'm anxious to get the airfare down so I can start looking at other things like hotels, etc.

Me too. Want to get airfare out of the way. I won't wait long and may end up paying a little more to get the same flights as Margie. The convenience will be worth it......

I was hoping to see the $156 AAA rate at the Grand Hyatt by now. Last year at this time it was already offered. It would be nice to have something booked and then bid later if we like.

Well, I was just monitoring airfares on Continental and sure enough the flights had dropped $50 so I jumped on them. R/T airfare from TPA to SEA was $336. The best fares I could have hoped for was $129 each way on American and with taxes and fees it would have been $303....so for a little more I was able to get awesome flight times, travel with Margie and get home at 10:42 pm the same day we disembark. :D

Yippee!!!!!!

Thats awesome Linda. I can't wait to get ours booked. Its looking like we're definitely going to be doing the RT Seattle thing. With the one free ticket on Delta, it just makes sense as opposed to paying for 2 to YVR. I have always wanted to see Vancouver, and I hope I'm not cutting us short only having one full day there. Then again, we've also wanted to visit Seattle, so its not like we're losing out totally.

Took a couple days off to head down your way to visit my Granddad. Gonna stay on his boat and do some fishing in the morning. Gonna hit the road right after the soccer game:D

Thats awesome Linda. I can't wait to get ours booked. Its looking like we're definitely going to be doing the RT Seattle thing. With the one free ticket on Delta, it just makes sense as opposed to paying for 2 to YVR. I have always wanted to see Vancouver, and I hope I'm not cutting us short only having one full day there. Then again, we've also wanted to visit Seattle, so its not like we're losing out totally.

Took a couple days off to head down your way to visit my Granddad. Gonna stay on his boat and do some fishing in the morning. Gonna hit the road right after the soccer game:D

DJ, I agree that you really have to utilize Delta for your trip. Hope you can take time out to call as soon they open the flights tomorrow - if your free ticket is a frequent flyer redemption. The prices may be higher for the one seat you have to pay for but still your best option. When I was researching I simulated different Thursday - Sunday options on both Delta and American and found that they both offered the $129 each way price but not for the May days that were already open. Even August and September 2010 were priced at the lower fare which told me they may hold out for a while before they lowering the prices. Flight times on Delta were actually pretty close to what I ended up with on Continental too. Are you checking Orlando or is TPA best? Good luck tomorrow!!!! :D

Texas has officially landed a sea monster. The 130,000-ton, 3,690-passenger Carnival Magic -- due out in May 2011 as the second in Carnival Cruise Lines' brand-new Dream class -- will homeport in Galveston, following its maiden season in Europe.

As we previously reported, the then-rumored and now-confirmed move will provide a massive boost to the mid-size Texas port, best known for homeporting "mature" hardware with a minimum of 10 years service at sea.

Makes driving to Galveston for a last minute sailing more intersting!

Continental has not released One Pass "Saver Pass" seats on the non-stop flights to Vancouver or Seattle. Will have to wait for them.... Don't want to settle for one-stop or pay increased mileage. We do have enough miles for one ticket on Delta... Might consider using them for one ticket and buying the other.... Will be watching things closely... Also looking for Princess to open the EZAir reservation section of the Cruise Personalizer...

Mary

Mary, have you visited the Carnival boards? Lots of disappointment over the new ships - with the same itineraries. Looks like a lot of people were hoping for at least a few longer sailings to be mixed in.....

Hi, Linda

No, I haven't ever really considered sailing on Carnival. As far as itinerary goes, I don't care that much where in the Caribbean most of the ships sail. Have been to most of the islands... the ship would be the destination.

It has been my previous experience that we can get better prices (including the cost of airfare), a better itinerary, and a better ship/cruiseline by departing from FLL or MIA. The old supply and demand strategy. Granted, we are not trying to accommodate adult children and grandchildren!

Mary

Hi, Linda

As far as itinerary goes, I don't care that much where in the Caribbean most of the ships sail. Have been to most of the islands... the ship would be the destination.

Mary

Really? I am just the opposite....I pick the itinerary and then the best ship sailing where I want to go :D

I'm with you, Mary. I have been to Cozumel more times than I can count (I think 8 or 9) so I don't even get off the ship there. It's more fun to do a spa day and have the dining rooms and the decks to ourselves. To those who live farther away, a Caribbean cruise must sound like a wonderful experience, but after having done 8 or 9 of them, I just can't dredge up the excitement anymore. I did get very excited and enjoyed tremendously my first Canada/New England cruise last Aug/Sept. I would do that again in a heartbeat, but those folks who live up there probably think it's boring! Oh well...

I'll have to check out the itinerary on the new Carnival ship to see if there is ANYTHING new out there.

I'm with you, Mary. I have been to Cozumel more times than I can count (I think 8 or 9) so I don't even get off the ship there. It's more fun to do a spa day and have the dining rooms and the decks to ourselves. To those who live farther away, a Caribbean cruise must sound like a wonderful experience, but after having done 8 or 9 of them, I just can't dredge up the excitement anymore. I did get very excited and enjoyed tremendously my first Canada/New England cruise last Aug/Sept. I would do that again in a heartbeat, but those folks who live up there probably think it's boring! Oh well...

I'll have to check out the itinerary on the new Carnival ship to see if there is ANYTHING new out there.

I hear you! I used to love Cozumel before the mass cruise ship invasion. When we were younger, my DH and I were divers and spent many vacations there. In fact, we spent our honeymoon at the Intercontinental in Cozumel. But, those days are long gone. Cozumel has changed from a sleepy diving island into a cruise port. Not really interested in even getting off the ship there anymore.

Like you, we love to spend the day on the ship while others are out on excursions. Go to the spa, enjoy the day at the Sanctuary, have a leisurely lunch in the dining room... relax and enjoy.

We've been to Alaska just as many times as the Caribbean, but love the outdoor activities. Just too beautiful to spend time onboard. Love the cool, fresh air.

Will be intersting to see if Carnival can sell that many cabins consistently sailing from Galveston.... at a profitable rate..... we'll see.

Mary

I guess I don't think of the ports on the western Caribbean as a "real" Caribbean cruise since none of the ports feel like the ports on the eastern and southern itineraries (which I can repeat with no problem mon) :D

I haven't been to Roatan though and others have told me I would enjoy it....maybe, maybe not :confused:

Well it was a beautiful day on the water in your neck of the woods Linda. Spent the night on my granddads boat and did some fishing/scalloping today. Of course, I got burned because I missed a 4 inch strip across the top of my back with sunscreen, so I'll have to hide it from my wife:D

Delta fares are looking pretty good for tomorrow. I just checked a Sat return and its $325 including taxes!

Archived